Outright Confession

Behind The Limelight

 

Hyuk Jae’s POV

 

I stirred the tea in the small white cup, patiently waiting for the powdered sleeping pills to dissolve. With every round move I made, I see the hope of escaping from this place. It’s been too much for me and Hae. Our lives were broken, we’ve been hurt several times, and I’ve spent so many ruthless nights with him. I gathered all the evidences that would point Yoon Sung as the suspect. My things were prepared, and as I circled the teaspoon one more time, I felt the perfect moment had arrived.

“Here.” I said and settled the cup on the table. He looked down on it and stirred it again twice, which gave me the enthusiasm that he’d drink what I made.

“Thanks.” He took a sip and found it good. I excused myself to my room, telling him that I’ll just take a rest. He nodded without saying anything. I could hear him take another couple of sips. He shouted from the dining room what a nice tea I made. I thanked him loudly and changed my clothes.

One sip.Two more. Then last. I heard the sudden and loud thud on the floor. I rushed outside and found Yoon Sung lying on the floor. My hand caught the cup that almost made its launch on the edge of the table. He was fast asleep, and until then, I could only conclude one thought.

I was free.

My feet brought me back to the room and stuffed the things inside my bag. Black jacket. Check. Video camera. Check. Everything was complete. I carefully put these two in separate plastic cases so his fingerprints would still be in shape. Along with it are some money, my car keys and a handful of clothes. I walked out of the room, with the door locked behind me, and sped to the garage. This would be the right time to make every mistake in the past right. I put the car engine into life and headed off.

We’re getting there, Hae. Wait for me. I love you.

 

 

Si Won’s POV

 

Dong Hae’s happy face tattooed on my mind the whole night. It’s only in those rare times that I see him smiling, not as an actor but as a real person. I was almost certain that our once lost friendship would be revived. Spending my vacant days with him felt so right, while my heart seemed to go the wrong way. My long-forgotten unrequited love for him came back, and this time, it’s much stronger. I got the feeling that I wanted to protect him from any harm, take care of him as much as I can, love him like he’s the only person remaining in this world. He meant so much to me right now, and I knew I have to tell him what I feel because he might come back to Seoul anytime. Anytime.

I lightly traced his features while he slept. He’s so calm like the blue sea, like you wouldn’t think he’s gone through a lot. We had the whole night together at our hands. Min Ah was in a field trip somewhere away from here and had to stay for two nights at the place. I couldn’t contain my happiness for having him only to myself. And from this point of view, I’d start planning on how to tell him the contents of my heart.

He stirred a bit and his free arm wrapped around my abdomen. The steady beat of my heart turned into palpitations. I never expected the sudden tightening in the next few minutes. It was hard for me to let go, but soon, a smile brightened up my lips.

I touched his arm gently. My eyes focused on the ceiling while savoring the moment that he could hold me like this. I love his arms around me. Only he could bring out this effect on me and as I felt him stir again, I put an arm around him then finally drifted off to sleep.

 

“Breakfast in bed?” I heard someone ask beside me I opened my eyes and saw him sitting on the edge of my bed. His hand moved playfully in mine which made me get up from the bed. Eggs, toasted bread, bacon and a steaming cup of milk were laid out for me to eat. I ate m food while he worked something on his laptop. I sat beside him and tried to glance what he’s writing. It was from his point of view of what I assumed to be a novel.

Still, I asked. “What’s that?”

He quickly closed the monitor and shook his head shyly. “It’s nothing. I don’t have something to do in my spare time.” he replied.

“Come on, don’t be shy.” I encouraged and opened the computer. It was really a novel. He had a good start in it, and he’s running for seventy pages. He told me that he majored in literature when he was in college. For me, this talent of his was exceptional.

“When are you going to publish this?” I asked again.

“When I go back to Seoul.” he said simply. There it goes. His ‘going back to Seoul’ tore my heart into shreds. It seemed to me that if I admit my feelings right away, it would be too late.

“Oh, I see...” I ate my remaining breakfast alone. I mouthed a word of thanks to him, and he smiled while his fingers were ticking on the keyboard.

 

It’s been two months since Dong Hae moved here. I could see that he’s having a good time living the quiet life he longed to have. We spent those days together in any way, either drinking coffee at my café, walking down at the park or having a movie marathon. We got closer to each other with each day and my feelings have been proven to be stronger than it was ten years ago. Closer... I would be close to what I’ve wanted to do. I just need a perfect timing.

The news about him and Hyuk Jae naturally died off on TV.  I watched the video on the internet, and was surprised with the twenty-five million view count. Now it’s less viral than it was before. In the next two days, I kept on viewing it again. The view count still increased but on a slow basis. I clearly understood what he went through, all those emotional sufferings and sacrifices each had to make, and the wound that we know was fresh in their hearts. And what should I do? I don’t know anything anymore.

When I went out the next day, I saw him parking two bicycles in front of me. It’s kind of strange, though. He’s the one asking me out today. I paused to wonder if this was real or a miracle.

Hae snapped his fingers to bring me back to reality. I blinked twice and looked at him.

“So, where are we going today?” I asked.

He smiled. “Isn’t it obvious? You’re too stressed with school work and your business. You might as well loosen up.”

“Wait for me. I’ll be out in a while.” I said and hurried inside to change my clothes. I opened the door to end his waiting.

“Let’s go.” I said and rode on our bikes. We started kicking the pedals while we haven’t decided on where we should go.

We drove almost around the city. The wind that blew our cheeks felt so refreshing. I felt the shadows of stress pull off from my body, and the positive energy get into my nerves. We stopped at a nearby cart to eat some fishcake. I paid all that we’ve eaten and drove again.

Later we decided to go to school since there were no classes going on today. As we entered the gate, we headed for the main building. I was sure we were the only people inside the premises. I parked my bike first at an empty spot. Hae followed me next but he lost his balance and fell on the ground.

“Hae!” I rushed to him and helped him up. But instead I tripped on a stone and fell on top of him. We both groaned and unexpectedly our eyes glued at each other’s eyes.

His face was inches from mine. His lips were within reach.  I could lie in this position forever if I want to, but I can’t. I got up and offered my hand. He took it and as we both stood up, he composed himself.

“Sorry.” I said and turned around. I walked ahead of him, ashamed of what just happened. He ignored it and called out after me. “Hey! Where are we going?”

An idea sparked in my mind. I turned out to look at him and answered.

“Follow me.”

I brought him to the music room on the third floor of the building. The door creaked open, so loud that you can hear us even if you’re on the first floor. We went inside and headed for the grand piano. I sat on the long seat and he just stood there. I flipped the case open and brushed off the dust from my fingers.

“This needs cleaning.” I said to myself. Hae hasn’t moved an inch from his place. I told him to sit beside me but he shook his head.

“I just want to watch you play the piano.”

Right. I let him be and started to play the keys. This would be the right time to pour my heart out to him. Through this song, I could tell him how he always brings this sweeping effect on me.

I began to sing the song “Without Words”.

Lee Dong Hae, I’ve wanted to tell you how much you mean to me. Just the sight of you standing in front of me and listening to this song makes my heart smile. I loved you ever since you first laid your eyes on me, since the day you got my glasses from the ground, since I kissed you out of comfort in that rooftop, and since I gave you the handkerchief. Please don’t go. Just stay beside me, okay?

I ended the song and looked at him. He was dumbfounded at what he just watched. I stood up and cupped both of his face in my hands.

“I love you, Hae.” I said and leaned in to press my lips on his. He didn’t answer as our lips brushed against each other softly. I moved my lips in a gentle motion and in a couple of seconds later his lips twitched and gave in to the deepening kiss. We remained that way until he unfortunately pulled away.

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” he said and ran away immediately. I sprinted after him, calling him out while he never looked back. He rode on his bike and drove away. I stopped running and sat on the ground, watching him leave, catching my breath, regretting what I just did to him.