[kidnapped]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Take the quiz!"

"Wooyoung, I'm not about to take a quiz for me to find out which bread I am."

"Oh come on, try it! I'm a whole wheat bread, San's a banana bread and Yunho's a Hawaiian Roll. We can be bread buddies together."

"Wooyoung, stop annoying me. It's almost 1 in the afternoon and we haven't gotten a customer for today. I would like to keep this tranquility alive. I told you to stay 10 metres clear of me when we're in this cafe."

"Yeosang!" Wooyoung whines before pulling back the phone, pouting as he taps furiously on the screen. "Well then I might have to answer it for you, and we'll see what you get." The sniper takes a seat and occasionally glances at the hacker as the next question comes up, giving it a thought as he scans his lifelong friend's personality and decides which answer he would pick. After he's done, Wooyoung snorts as he shoves the screen towards an annoyed Yeosang.

"A soft pretzel? I'm not soft-"

"This is the most perfect description for you!" He reads the results as his head sways from side to side, clearly enjoying the look on Yeosang's face. "You're a bit twisted and super salty. Ha, that's exactly what a Kang Yeosang is." He sticks out his tongue.

"I can't believe I have so many other people to be friends with, but I'm stuck with you right here. In the same team. Running a cafe that feels ancient. Taking a quiz to find out which bread we are."

"Aww, but aren't you glad it's me and not someone else?" He fists his hands and rubs them against Yeosang's cheeks, as the latter grumbles and shoves him away.

"Why are you so obsessed with me?" The hacker smooths his apron and pulls down his sleeves so that he has sweater paws. "Don't disturb me again or I'll smack you without restraint."

Wooyoung fake-cries in horror before leaning back against the chair, sipping on his iced soda. The drink fizzes as he puts it down, and he traces the rim of the glass with his finger as he looks at his phone, jolting up every time a notification comes in but gets disappointed when it's not from the person he's waiting for.

"Why are you jolting like a worm getting electrocuted whenever there's a notification? Are you waiting for someone to text you? Who in their right minds would, though, but that's a different question."

"Shut up, Kang Yeosang." He tries to change the topic as he pulls Yeosang to sit with him, downing the soda in one sitting and burping.

"Gross, but why am I surprised anymore when you have been loud since birth? The other babies cry but you probably screeched until the nurses had to isolate you."

"That's my charm anyway," he cups his face as he bats his eyelashes.

"Sure," Yeosang pushes his face away while snarling.

Wooyoung almost tumbles onto the floor but he steadies himself, then clears his throat as if nothing happened. He checks his phone again but groans as he drops his head onto the table and stretches out his arms. "Life is so boring when we have no missions to do."

Yeosang's eyes travel to the camera before mumbling, "Well yeah, remember what happened the last time we got a new mission after a ve...ry... long time?"

"Do you think we would have been here if we resisted it harder?" Wooyoung lies on the side of his face so he can look at Yeosang. "That maybe we could grow up to become someone successful instead of becoming shady couriers?"

"There's no point of questioning it now," the hacker concludes, but his voice drops low as he tries to find something to do. He goes over to the sink, looking for any plates or cups to be wiped dry, but finds none. He sighs before turning back again to face Wooyoung. "Why are you suddenly remembering about the past?"

"I don't know." He plays with the cover of his phone, taking it out then putting it back on. "Maybe I wished that I was the only son to some kind of rich CEO. Maybe only then I'll feel that it's the money that I can actually spare. Now it just feels like the money isn't rightfully ours, because I know it isn't."

His friend stares at him before deciding, "Do you like someone, Wooyoung?"

"What do you mean? Of course I don't." But his eyes betray him as he avoids looking directly at him.

"You can't lie to me." He rolls his eyes. "Who is it?"

"No one."

Yeosang twists Wooyoung's ear until he cries out in pain and admits defeat.

"Fine, fine! It's Hwayoung's kindergarten teacher. I kind of liked her since the first day I saw her at the kindergarten. She's cute and she seems nice."

"There you go. Hmph," he goes deep into his thought, "no wonder you were so excited to send and pick up Hwayoung from the kindergarten sometimes. Huh, it's always the teacher, not even Hwayoung herself. Hwayoung will be sad to hear this; she'll put you on the not-favourite uncle list, again."

"Kang Yeosang," he utters and sticks out his lower lip. He plays around with his fingers. "I'm being serious, that's not even helping."

He sighs longer before pulling a seat next to the sniper who looks to be in defeat, with drooped shoulders and a fallen face. "What's the problem? Did she find out about what we actually do and rejected you on the spot?"

"No," he says, resigning. "She only thinks that we run this dingy cafe with Yunho, and nothing more. We did exchange our numbers but I'm kind of... hesitating to start the conversation first. We haven't interacted with each other since I got her number. I'm scared of bringing her into danger if I start anything, but I admitted it anyway. She doesn't even know what we do." He falls back down onto the table again, hitting his forehead against the surface, "What if she finds out and decides that I'm not a good man? I mean I know I'm not, but she's too pure to be involved with me. These hands..." He splays out his fingers, "have killed too many."

The hacker gives him a good 10 seconds of his judgy face before nodding slowly. "So you're in love with Hwayoung's kindergarten teacher who's too pure for our world, and you're scared of tainting that with your background. Understood. But you chose this life, though. When you could've stayed at the orphanage, but you had to throw a tantrum."

"That was because you were taken away and I didn't want to lose a friend..." he mutters as he crosses his arms. "Of course I would want to follow you."

"Don't you regret it? Following me because you said you wouldn't want to lose a friend, practically begging them to take you in too when they kidnapped me from the orphanage. Who on earth would ask for themselves to be kidnapped?"

"I don't regret it. You're my best friend since I knew how to speak and it's not fair that they're only taking you. They should know that my skills are better than yours, and that they're missing out a lot if they don't scout me."

"I expected a sweet and touching answer, but you gave me that. Fine." But Yeosang smiles as his eyes turn downcast. "I'm glad, of course. To have you here with the rest of the boys. If our lives at the orphanage were any better... maybe we could have become decent office workers and earn some average salaries. But we're here, whether by fate or not. If Hwayoung's teacher decides that you're not the one she wants..." He shrugs. "Some things are just not meant to be."

"Can you imagine us as office workers? That would be the most boring job," he chuckles. "Clocking in and out, being slaves in the office as we get yelled again by our bosses. At least Hongjoong doesn't have much to yell about. I don't know what's better... us being together doing jobs like these, or only the two of us back at the orphanage, graduating and getting a decent job. There wasn't much to miss at the orphanage b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter