[apology]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The drive towards Treasure district is accompanied by Hwayoung singing and dancing excitedly at the back seat about having a ponytail. Yunho asks her where she learnt it from and apparently according to her, she had seen both her Uncle Yeosang and San dancing and singing like maniacs to that song at the living room, so she had picked that up.

Yunho shakes his head at her answer as she continues on and he gives a signal to cruise into the exit, mumbling to the person on the passenger seat, "Kids learn and pick up quick, don't they?"

"I don't have much experience with kids, but I guess they do," Byul chuckles. "She's so precious it's no wonder that her uncles love her so much; I'm glad to see that." As she says that she throws her view out the window, enjoying the scenery on a Saturday afternoon.

Yunho drums his fingers against the steering wheel as he throws a look to see his child at the seat, still happily singing and making the plushie she brings along dance with her. "I'm sorry you had to come together," he bites his lower lip, "because I know that you said you were uncomfortable about being pulled into the picture. And... for the DNA test, thank you. I just-" He looks at Hwayoung again, and it seems that the child is really oblivious to them chatting in the front seats. "Hwayoung's mother went away so suddenly and you reminded me a lot of her, so it's just me being stupid and hoping it was real. After you suggested the test, it made me realize how I shouldn't have made you feel uncomfortable. I'm sorry, truly."

She takes off her shoes and crosses her legs on the seat before shaking her head. "You don't have to apologize for anything. I can't imagine how life is like there..." she trails off as she in a deep breath, "so to know that you're wishing Hwayoung will finally have her mother back is completely understandable." She takes one look at the rearview mirror and can't help but smile. "You take care of her so well."

"I wouldn't be able to manage if it weren't for the boys honestly," he admits. "Though some of them were really careful around her when she was just a baby. Yeosang didn't want to even touch or hold Hwayoung at first because he said she looked like raw chicken, but thankfully he warmed up to her." He finds it easy to talk to her that he starts sharing how it went on at the facility, "Seonghwa and Wooyoung were fighting because they wanted to name the baby, so I ended up giving her a name as a combination of both." He looks exhilarated as he keeps telling stories about his only daughter, "Oh and!" he exclaims, "Hwayoung meant a pretty flower so I thought it was fitting. I told her mother that our children would be the flowers-"

He presses his lips together and sighs, "I'm being stupid again, I'm sorry. I really should stop talking about her mother. Argh these days I tend to overthink a lot because Hwayoung is growing up so fast and I'm scared I'm not doing a good job at being her father. Sorry," he grimaces.

"Seonghwa told me to stop apologizing so much, so you should too," she utters, playing around with the string on her hoodie. She pulls them all the way until her face is all scrunched up under the hoodie, amusing herself as she takes sight of herself in the side mirror. "I can tell that you're trying your best to take care of her. I'm sure her mother would be proud seeing Hwayoung and you right now."

"Yeah, I really wish she could," he mumbles under his breath. "We're here."

The car pulls up in front of a boom barrier at the lane where visitors to the middleclass apartment can pass through, with the guard coming up to their car and asking for identification. He produces his identification and the guard jots down the car's plate number and his details, giving him a visitor's pass and letting him go under the barrier. They park at the visitors' parking bay; Hwayoung hops off the car, with Byul helping to unload her tiny luggage.

Hwayoung hops towards the direction of the lift, holding Byul's hand with one and hugging her plushie with one. She tiptoes to press the button to go up, humming again to the ponytail song.

"You must have been here a lot of times," Byul comments as Yunho joins them in front of the lift. "Looks like she knows her way around."

"Whenever we have our missions and all of us are busy, we would ask help from Akira and Emira to watch over her, so she's grown fond of them. At first Hwayoung is a little bit scared of them because of their tattoos, but Seonghwa managed to convince her they're not bad people. Now they hang out like they're best buddies."

Since last night they'd come to a decision that all 9 of them will be involved in the mission at the party tonight, Seonghwa had called Akira and asked for help to watch over Hwayoung for the night. Apparently they're used to it, because the tattooist agreed without asking so much, and even the little kid didn't seem to mind.

Before sending Hwayoung off, Hongjoong came back to the dorm with a DNA kit in hand, saying that it would only take a mouth swab from both Byul and Hwayoung to confirm whether they're related- or not. The child seemed curious but didn't question it, letting get swabbed. With all of them watching, the DNA kit was sealed and sent off. Like what Byul had mentioned, the lab promises a 24 to 72-hour result, so they could find out once they're done with the mission tonight.

Hwayoung wanted her to come along to send her off, and although Yunho tried to coax her into stopping in fear of her growing uncomfortable, Byul agreed nonetheless, taken in by the child's eagerness. She would just have to pretend that it's not awkward when they'll be alone in the car on the way back to the dorm without Hwayoung together with them.

They go up to the 8th floor, with Hwayoung getting ready to ring the doorbell but since she's too short, Yunho has to go over and pick her up. She presses once on the bell and he puts her face near the peephole so the house occupants can see who's visiting.

The door swings open and Byul's automatic reaction as she sees Akira at the doorway is to think hot damn, Seonghwa is one lucky bastard. Akira is wearing booty shorts with a loose top, her tattooed skin glistening with sweat and highlighting her rich skin tone. It looks like she's in the middle of working out, with her curly hair put up in a bun and muscles popping out.

"You're here," she greets. "And you too, Byul! It's so nice to see you again. I would hug you right now but I currently stink with all this sweat. Come in, come in. Emira's in her bedroom, I'll call her to come out."

All three of them step into the unit, and with Hwayoung looking like she's used to the ways around the apartment unit, she plops down on the sofa. Yunho and Byul are more cautious as they put on the guest house slippers and sit on either side of Hwayoung.

Byul looks around the unit, enjoying the fact that even though the sisters have decorated their house as much as they can, the unit feels spacious and homey. She sees a treadmill at one corner of the living room so she's guessing that's where Akira had been working out at. They take care of a garden at their balcony, from the smallest cacti to the largest plant you can fit in a pot. There's a long strip of metal board where they put up souvenir magnets from different countries, with the souvenirs almost filling up the whole length. The built-in bookshelves at the living room are stuffed with different kinds of story books, and she remembers back at the tattoo parlour about how Emira mentioned that Akira likes to read.

"Welcome to our humble house," Emira appears, bringing two cups of tea and another cup of warm milk. "The garden," she starts, stealing a glance to the short pathway that leads to their bedrooms, where Akira is currently at, wiping the sweat off her face and body, "wasn't even my idea. I don't think I have it in me to take care of plants, it was all Akira and Seonghwa's idea. I think out of all the cacti, 6 of them are Seonghwa's."

"I can hear that, Emira!" Akira shouts from her bedroom. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter