[data]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Statue, first."

Yeosang confirms his connection with the rest through his earpiece before sprinting off onto the island, his shoes barely burying into the sand as his strides get bigger. Instead of heading for the main entrance where all the sensors are, he looks for the unconventional way he can slip inside, disarm the alarms at the entrance to grant entry for the rest. With his black outfit and the cloth around his head to cover the lower part of his face, letting only his eyes to shine under the moonlight, he slips among the trees, disappearing into a quest to break into the training centre.

Ducking behind a bush, he whips out his binoculars to spy on the two guards taking care of the entrance of the KTC complex. Fishing out something from his bag, he extends his hand to throw the ball bearings into a bush to the left of the guards, the items causing the leaves to rustle and the guards to be momentarily distracted. As the guards crane their necks towards the source of sound, he dashes towards the side, using his momentum to launch himself off the ground and his hands clamp on the edge of the top of the wall, barely missing the spikes and shards placed on top as a deterrent.

Relying on friction against the wall to stop himself from sliding down, he throws the rope he's holding, letting the suctioned end get attached to the other side. Taking a shot that he won't tear his skin with the spikes and shards planted, he climbs up slowly and as soon as he gets nearer to the top, he uses his last bit of momentum to throw his body over, the sleeve of his left getting caught and torn. His skin remains unscathed as he falls to the ground, rolling before he stops himself while pulling on to the rope. He takes it off, barely saving time for himself to inspect his torn sleeve. That's only one barrier taken care of.

As much as the KTC is a rigid place where rules are in place for your every move, the security isn't as uptight as you would expect. They have cameras littering the place, security guards patrolling the area every now and then, and trainees being monitored constantly, but he would've thought it would be harder for him to break into the complex.

But then again, they know that nobody can run away anywhere because they are literally on an island miles away from the mainland, with no transportation except for the boat that comes twice a day to transport the Bifidensis board members to and from the island, plus send over necessities. Meanwhile, the other occupants live only on the island, no way out except when the staff are laid off work, or when the trainees are released as agents. Therefore, it would be fair enough for the board members to decide to reduce their costs on security systems and instead focus on others to maintain the complex.

A trap, a prison for all.

Based on the schedule they're given, the trainees are currently separated into different 'classrooms', where they have night lessons on random topics. It could be related to the knowledge they would need once they become agents, but there are some portions of the teaching module which are tailored in favour of KTC. Sometimes they feed untrue stories about the real world, how everything is a mess because people feel emotions. They are not allowed to pose any questions but rather accept whatever is given.

He doesn't know what these people have against having emotions. Once, Yeosang made the 'teacher' angry because he asked this question, and he was thrown into a cell for one night, asking him to 'reflect back on what he asked', saying that he will regret it if he ever does it again. So he spit back, saying that 'Isn't anger what you're feeling right now? Anger is an emotion too, and you're displaying it.'

They didn't entertain his question, but they beat him up until he was lying down on the floor with blood pouring out of his mouth. The next day, Wooyoung hastily went up to him despite them being in different Aeons during lunch, scolding him and said that he needed to stop making them have more reasons to lock him up. He only shrugged, because he knew that he would be doing it again.

And he's right, he did. Which explains why they slapped him with the 'high' lethality label.

He breathes in and out, taking in the scent of the training centre that had destroyed countless lives, determined to see the end of it tonight. Even without the layout projected by his lens, he still remembers every accessible corner of the centre, the memory burning bright. Every blind spot of the cameras he knows, because when rules restrict you a lot, you'll find ways to cheat the system. Instead of the lift he uses the stairs, climbing up, up, up and up until he reaches the one forbidden place for all, except the directors and trainers who have access to the place.

The data bank, the foundation of their being in this training centre.

He has almost forgotten the fact that he came here with four others, as the other line was too quiet since he launched himself onto the other side of the wall.

"Doing good?" Yeosang says.

"Doing good, just waiting for your signal," Byul replies.

"Just for a moment."

He fishes out another device from his bag, latching it onto the door that's locked, distancing himself as the device goes off, producing a small 'pop' as the lock is battered, granting him access. He's not sure whether there will be an alarm informing the directors of the breach, so he practically hits his shoulder against the door to open it before closing it behind him, looking around to lock the door from inside to maximize the time he has to spend. He doesn't know how complex the security system on the data is, so he needs to have as much time as he can take.

The screens are in constant movement; the data rolling around as he looks for a place to start. Pulling up the touch keyboard he studies the symbols and combinations, looking for the most important one where he can enter and disarm the entrance. He manages to lay down the ground work as his hands work across the keyboard, his eyes darting from one screen to another as he pulls up the system for the security guarding the entrance. After figuring the code he presses his finger to enter and he informs the rest of the obsolete security.

"You may enter," Yeosang says, already looking around to pull up the big data of trainees next. His task sounds simple; to destroy, corrupt the files that they have on the trainees so that they can no longer be accessible. To wreak havoc in the data bank.

"Good job, Statue. You'll be joining us soon, I suppose?" Hongjoong replies, the sound of the sloshing water accompanying his enquiry.

"Of course, just give me a moment to wipe these off."

He opens the files that gather all the information regarding the trainees, but something makes his fingers stop from immediately destroying them all, when he should not have any doubts. He's not looking to read the details in the files, but somehow... the names of the files halt his momentum. He straightens his back against the chair, his eyebrows knitting as he looks at the overall picture. His breath starts getting irregular at the thought that the lies haven't completely be uncovered yet.

He reads the names of the files;
EXPERIMENTS - LOGBOOK & SCHEDULE
DOSE ADMINISTRATION & EXPERIMENTAL POPULATION
PHARMACOLOGICAL DATA OF DRUG
SUCCESS & FAILURE RECORD OF EXPERIMENTS
CURRENT & PAST TEST SUBJECTS
RECRUITMENT OF NEW TEST SUBJECTS

He doesn't know where to start as he leans back against the chair, running his hands through his pink hair as he stares at the screens. Shakily, he taps on the EXPERIMENTS - LOGBOOK & SCHEDULE folder, followed by DOSE ADMINISTRATION & EXPERIMENTAL POPULATION and PHARMACOLOGICAL DATA OF DRUG. The foreign words and scientific jargons, coupled with the shock of discovering something darker in their existence at KTC, render his head spinning as he takes in the details.

KTC is not merely a training centre for agents.

KTC is a den for test subjects, and the trainees are their human test subjects. Yet, it's not an informed consent as they were practically forced into becoming one without having the slightest idea of what they were currently under.

It doesn't make sense; KTC is an organization established more than a 100 years ago. But if it's a complex for them to gather their test subjects for the trials of their drugs... does that mean they had been trying to develop one particular drug that has yet to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter