[box]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Really?" Yunho asks as he plops down on the sofa, switching on the television as he attempts to talk to Byul who's sitting on the high chair at the kitchen island. "How did you know that Hwayoung's birthday is on the 6th of November?"

"Hongjoong told me, and I wanted to ask you since you're her father... but missing a day of kindergarten wouldn't hurt, right?" she grimaces before quickly adding, "I just wanted to spend some time with her on her birthday. If she wants to, that is."

"Just both of you?" He blinks his eyes as he hugs the cushion to his chest. "I mean... can I come along too?" He sticks out his lower lip.

She chuckles. "Why do you want to? It's supposed to be a girls' day out." She rests her elbows on the back of the chair as she looks at him. "And I thought that you wouldn't want to do anything with me after that night."

"It's not that I want to spend time with you," he huffs before looking away, sulking. "I still won't want to leave her alone all day with you."

She smirks. "Well then, you can come along, since you're worried about me doing something to your child. I hope you like eating ice cream, shopping for unicorn plushies and going on merry-go-rounds, though."

"Of course I do!" he fights back. "I've been doing that with Hwayoung for the past months."

"Relax," she says. "I'm not going to take her away from you, it's just one day. Don't be so petty."

"I'm not being petty." But he looks like a child as he crosses his arms, completely ignoring the documentary on the television he flipped to. "I come together or Hwayoung's not going out with you."

"Gosh, you're such a baby do you know that?" She rolls her eyes before jumping off the chair and walking towards him. She reaches out her hand and ruffles his hair, talking to him in a fake baby-voice, "Of course you can come with us, Mr. Jeong. I'll buy you all the ice cream you want and we can-"

"Seriously guys, again?" Yeosang walks over to the fridge, grumbling as he takes out a box of popsicles. He takes out one strawberry-flavoured popsicle and bites it before he realizes that Byul is staring at him like he's an intruder. Maybe he is. "What?"

"Why did you dye your hair to hot pink?" Byul asks, pulling her hand away from Yunho's hair.

"Why not? I look good in pink, and no, you can't tell me otherwise. We just dyed our hair because it's a new era for us," Yeosang says cryptically.

Yunho knits his brows before looking at Byul, who's looking at Yeosang with the same expression he has on, but there's a slight twitch at the corner of .

"I'm kidding," Yeosang deadpans, his eyes shifting towards Byul before uttering, "We dyed it just for fun."

"We?" she asks again, but there's a difference in her tone that Yunho does not pick up. He's too busy trying to switch off the television.

"Uh-uh. Seonghwa dyed his hair back to black and San opted for a green shade. Just something fresh for us." He takes one large bite off the popsicle before adding, "Gotta look good anytime, anywhere."

"Priorities," Yunho comments.

Byul's expression has changed as she walks away from the living room and enters her bedroom, which is still only made up of a single mattress with her clothes and necessities arranged on the shelves they collectively assembled for her.

Maybe she could get a new wardrobe, or a proper bed, but it would be a waste of time when she probably won't be around here anymore to use them. She locks the door, then gathers her purse and the box that looks funny because it was taped with duct tape hastily.

It's Hwayoung's birthday tomorrow; the 6th of November and she has been planning to take her out to spend some time with her ever since she decided to go through with their plan to take the Bifidensis down. Everything has come to this, from her death on the very same date 6 years ago, to her stumbling upon the man she then realized she had not forgotten.

She takes out the only picture she has in her purse; the only picture she has left of her with her parents. The rest of her memories burnt together with her house, the charred remains leaving her with no pictures to keep, no memorabilia to bring. When she was brought to the orphanage with nothing of her possession left and she cried without stopping, Yunho went back to her house, basically trespassing the supposed criminal scene and brought back the picture for her.

The picture holds both memories of her parents and Yunho; how it's the only picture she has left of her parents and how Yunho had went through to bring it back for her.

She goes over to one of the shelves and rummages through to find something that she can use to tear open the tape around the box. She comes up with a sharp piece that must have splintered out from the broken mirror she dropped the night she got the news that Wooyoung was shot.

She shakes her head as she still hasn't gotten over how panicked the whole house had been, with Yeosang frantically trying to call for San, but he didn't answer so it resulted in the hacker having to track down his location. He found him drunk in an upscale bar at the Treasure district, and when he fainted before Yeosang could deliver the full news about Wooyoung, Yeosang brought him back to the dorm.

San was completely knocked-out, and Yeosang had left him together with Byul, asking for her help to tend to him because he was rushing to the hospital where Wooyoung was at. So two nights ago while the rest were gathered at the hospital she was at the dorm, sitting at the end of his bed. The guilt was consuming her as she heard him stir in his sleep, calling out for Wooyoung, and even when the tears were falling down his cheeks his eyes remained closed, begging for anyone to take him out of the water.

She cried as she sat on the foot of his bed, hand over as she didn't want to make any sound that could disturb him. He couldn't stay still as he kept tossing and turning, while mumbling and reaching out to hold on to something. At one point he did manage to hold on to her hand, and she stood frozen as his grip went tighter around her hand, but it wasn't her name that left his lips. It was an alternate between a girl's name - Sora - and Wooyoung's name. After that he went limp and he let go, and she quickly wiped off her tears.

When he woke up from his hangover the next day, Byul had made sure that he wouldn't see her in his room, and even before that Hongjoong had went back to the dorm, inviting her to go to the fast food restaurant to meet with Lee Minhyuk. So much happened in one night, and it took her so much will to not cry again as she told Hongjoong that San had finally found out who she is.

Hongjoong took it with a mere nod, passing a comment about how the three of them - San, Yeosang and Seonghwa - the high-ranking trainees are supposed to find out soon, because they're needed for the mission to bring the Bifidensis and KTC down. After the meeting with Lee Minhyuk so early in the morning, they returned to the dorm without any of the members noticing. The rest slept like a log after visiting Wooyoung at the hospital, only waking up when it's almost noon.

Luckily, Byul and Hongjoong went back on time to bring Hwayoung to kindergarten, watching her carefully as she seemed to be excited as she knows that it's her birthday tomorrow. Lee Mikyung had some time off from kindergarten, and although Hwayoung asked around, they didn't have the heart to tell the little kid about what had happened. So they merely told her that maybe she went to take a much-needed break.

Just as she was picking up Hwayoung back from the kin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter