[nice]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongho almost drops the board game he was playing with Hwayoung, Yunho and Hongjoong, the gamepieces rattling around in the box as he balances it on his palm. He was about to keep back the game in the store as Yeosang and Byul seemingly materialize from thin air at the space between the washing machine and the wall.

Yeosang wordlessly crouches beside the machine, sticks his hand into the opening and pulls out shopping bags until it looks like he's about to spend the whole night doing it. He stops after it comes to the tenth bag, and leans against the wall, tiredness evident on his face. It's less of their sudden appearance that made Jongho startled, but rather Han Byul's new look that's making him do a double take.

Byul has chopped off her long locks, replaced with a bob cut with bangs, dyed in gradient red. A ring is hooked on her lower lip, which is complemented by her lipstick that accentuates her plump lips. Over a t-shirt with a cat applique on it, she puts on a black leather jacket, which looks like it has been taken straight out of Seonghwa's wardrobe.

In short, this Han Byul looks nothing like how he first saw her.

Seonghwa appears at the laundry room from the front not long after, helping to carry some of the bags to Byul's room. Yunho, Hongjoong and even Hwayoung stare at the new Byul, taking the least effort to hide their surprise.

Yunho rubs his eyes with his knuckles, while Hwayoung pokes his cheeks, muttering, "Dad, is that really Han Byul?"

"I... think so. Is that really Han Byul?" he repeats the question to their leader, whose eyes look like they've never seen a human being quite like her.

Yeosang walks side by side with Byul, with the latter looking sheepish as the whole house can't hide their shock over her appearance. Jongho trails behind them, bending his body forward so that he can get a good look of her face, still not believing that this was the same person he had chased while holding on to her high heels.

She looks like a new person; apart from her expression she looks fiercer, more confident and he wonders whether it's the help of her attire, or this is who she really is. Her demeanour is different; like this is how she originally is and that her appearance when they first met at the cafe was merely a disguise.

"Byul-ie you look really pretty," Hwayoung gushes, getting over the shock much faster than her dad and uncles. "I like your hair, it looks nice on you."

"Oh, thank you. Aren't you a sweetheart?" Byul muses, looking fully appreciative of her compliment. Her face breaks into a smile and she's about to reach her hand out to pat her head, but lets it stay by her side when she's reminded of how wary Yunho is towards her. She wouldn't want to elevate Yunho's distrust towards her, especially by coming close to his daughter.

"How did your lip piercing to heal so fast?" Jongho asks, taking a seat next to Hongjoong. He had forgotten about his quest to keep back the board game so he sets it down on the table in the middle. "Didn't you get it pierced today?"

"Oh, this?" Her hand immediately flies to her lip as she tugs at the ring. "I didn't get it pierced today; I just bought a new ring- well, they did. I had no money left."

"You already had your bottom lip pierced?" Hongjoong finds his voice back, a look appearing on his face as though he's trying to hide that he's impressed by the fact. Maybe he's taken by surprise because the first image he had of her was definitely not this, and that he never had thought she would look... good with it.

"Well yeah," she deadpans, as if that's the stupidest thing one could ask. "I've always had a ring in but I took it out for the job interview. Never went well though, that's why I'm here."

"That's why you're becoming my nanny!" Hwayoung slips in, grinning and running to her side. Byul gets stunned as the kid wraps her arms around her legs suddenly, saying, "I'm so happy you're here."

It would be an understatement to say that her heart has melted into a puddle; it's more of her heart being caressed softly as soothing music plays in the background. The little kid is doing a much better job than her uncles at making her feel welcomed, that she'd say that she'll gladly stay just to be with her.

She carefully steals a glance towards Yunho, who seems a bit worked up, but is doing a good job in staying put in his place. Unable to resist anymore, she pats a hand on Hwayoung's head, her hair. His daughter seems to like it, as she nuzzles at her hip, her arms still incompletely wrapping around her legs.

"Hwayoung," Yunho calls out, his mind already reeling to think of an excuse for his daughter to let her go, but comes up with nothing. It's still too early for her to go to bed, but his daughter looks like she won't let go of her legs even when the world comes crashing down. Somehow, he's feeling like he'll just let this one time slip by, that letting his daughter come close to Byul wouldn't hurt... After all, she's going to live with them and it's going to be hard for him to have to pry her away from Byul every time.

"Looks like our little Hwayoung likes Byul a lot," Seonghwa coos as he joins them. He looks at Yunho, whose body is still rigid from seeing the contact, but much to his surprise, he doesn't do anything to stop it.

Hwayoung lets go, tilts her head to look at the woman adoringly before running back to her dad's arms. She sits on his lap before calling over Byul to sit beside him; she even goes as far as pushing Hongjoong away with her legs to make space so that Yunho and Byul are able to sit side by side.

"Hey, Hwayoung-" Hongjoong protests, but the little kid keeps on prodding at him while giggling. "Yunho what are you teaching your daughter-" He had hopes of Yunho putting a stop to his child's behaviour, but Yunho is currently malfunctioning as the heat gets to his face, aware of what his own daughter is trying

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter