[dazzling]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yay!" Hwayoung's hands shoot up in the air as the display shows that she has won the car race again. Or rather, it's thanks to Yunho as she is sitting on her father's lap and watching the showdown between Byul and Yunho. It's been four rounds but so far, Yunho has been snatching up the first place and left Byul to eat dust. It's a game that required them to press down on the pedals, steer the wheel and shift gears at the same time, but Yunho has somehow managed to execute them perfectly even with Hwayoung partially blocking his view.

Defeated, Byul leans against the chair and throws up her hands. "I give up, how can you be so good at this? I swear my steering wheel is broken and the gears are acting funny."

"Sure," Yunho manages. "Do you want to switch places and see whether it's the equipment's problem?"

She stretches her body, thumping a fist against her lower back as she ignores Yunho's question. "Oh dear, my back is killing me. I think I need to stand because I've been sitting for too long." She hums as she escapes the car racing game and moves over to another game machine, choosing to pick up the mallet for whac-a-mole.

Hwayoung giggles seeing her and Yunho shakes his head while smiling as they join her, with her already slotting the coins in and picking up the mallet. Byul hikes up her sleeves, looking entirely serious as the first mole pops up. She bashes down the mallet non-stop, managing to hit every mole except for two.

Yunho flinches every time she pummels the moles, feeling sorry for the inanimate objects because he can feel the strength she puts in them. As the score is displayed she lets out a small whoop of triumph. She turns around to see Yunho staring at her with slight trembling pupils as if he's going to be the next target.

"I think it is the equipment's problem. There's no way I'm too good at the racing game," he says. "And uh, you're really good at whac-a-mole." He gives two thumbs-up with a nervous smile.

"Told you," she winks as a playful smile creeps up on her.

"Byul-ie, I want to play it too!" Hwayoung approaches the machine's version for children and picks up the smaller mallet, looking up to Byul as she slots in the coins one by one.

There is blaring music as the game starts; Hwayoung's brows knit and her lips are pursed in concentration as she holds the mallet with both hands. She hits the moles excitedly, bashing their tiny heads with a loud thud, managing to hit every single one without missing.

Sure, it's the kid's version and the moles take longer to plop back down but it still manages to make Yunho slack-jawed at the sight, as Byul high-fives Hwayoung to say that she did a good job. She must have definitely gotten it from Lee Eunbi.

"My goodness whose daughter is she?" Yunho mutters to himself as he puts a hand to his chest, the first time he has actually seen his daughter displaying her strength properly. "Maybe I can start putting her into martial arts classes if she wants to. That strength puts us to shame."

They spend the afternoon trying every single game machine, with Yunho and Hwayoung taking too much liking to the dancing game and hogging the equipment. Since it's a weekday, visitors to the arcade complex are scarce, so they can spend as much time as they want without having anyone else waiting in line.

Yunho's long legs cross everywhere as he keeps up with the beat, his skills unmatched as he steps on every platform with accuracy. Hwayoung results in jumping with both legs every time a direction comes up on screen, but when two directions come up at once she misses the beat. Still, she has fun nonetheless, with Byul laughing with joy looking at them from the side.

The father-daughter duo spends more than an hour at the dancing machine, looking as if they're on a mission to try every song available at every difficulty level. The machine has quite a range of songs that Byul decides to take a chair to sit down, believing that they won't stop until they could destroy every stage. She smiles while looking at them anyway, a dreamy look painting her face as she rests her chin on her palm.

They finally stop and Hwayoung claps her hands, fully satisfied with their endeavours through the songs. After asking whether she had enough fun at the arcade and getting her agreement, they move on to their next mission: lunch.

Gripping her backpack straps, Hwayoung runs into the pizza parlour several blocks down, with Yunho and Byul following a few steps behind. They go into the restaurant to find a couple of people eating, paying them no attention as they walk to occupy a booth further inside the restaurant. Whipping out his card, Yunho tells them that they can order as much as they want as Byul looks at him sceptically.

"Is that yours?"

"Why, changed your mind about me after seeing this card?" he says teasingly. He puts down the black card on the table and slides it to her. "Everything's on me today, you can use it all you want."

"Are you making fun of me because I have no money?" she says, accompanied with a smirk. "Don't look down on me, Mr. Jeong. I just got my first paycheck from Hongjoong after our mission at the hotel," she whispers. Hwayoung pays no attention to them as she's too absorbed in the names of the different pizza that she tries hard to pronounce. "On the other hand, I think I can start paying my student debt now. Gosh, it's a long way to go." She clasps her hands and looks at Yunho with purpose.

He narrows his eyes before taking back the black card before uttering, "Are you asking me what I think you are?"

She purses her lips. "50-50, how does that sound?" she says jokingly. "You have a lot more money than me so, 50% of my student debt doesn't sound so bad, eh?" Her eyes automatically travel to the entrance of the pizza parlour when the door opens and they widen at the sight of the newcomer before she ducks and mutters, "Oh ."

"What's wrong?" Yunho's first instinct is to turn around but Byul reaches out her hand to lock his face in place.

"Byul-ie?" Hwayoung enquires, confused, but Byul puts up a finger to her lips.

"Just for a moment, sweetie." She looks sheepishly to Yunho, then to the new customer who's marching towards the direction of their booth. She tries not to appear suspicious, but keeps her head down low. In her heart, she prays that the person won't recognize her, or even better, not see her. There is a lot to explain if the person does notice her presence in the booth nearest to the cashier, together with another man and a child.

Her heart stops when her ears catch the sound of the deep-voiced man. Yunho and Hwayoung, sitting side by side, look at her with wide eyes, but they stay obedient as they currently don't know who she's hiding from.

"Excuse me?" the man says, but Byul heaves a sigh of relief when she realizes that the man is not talking to her, but the cashier at the counter. She can hear the conversation between the man and the cashier clearly.

"Sir, you've come here twice and I'm afraid that I have to say it again that we can't help you. We've really never seen the woman in the picture coming to our pizza parlour."

"But-" Leedo exasperatedly tries to hand her the missing person flyers to her. "Can you at least please let me put these flyers here? She was last known to go for a job interview here in Light district. And even then, it took me so much time to find it out because she's a very private person. Look, her phone's off and the police doesn't seem like they want to help find her because according to them she's a grown woman capable of making her own choices. Plus they don't look at us because they figured that people like us who live in student flats aren't worth wasting their time on. The least you can do is let me put these flyers on the counter."

The cashier rolls her eyes before sighing. "Sir, if your girlfriend or whoever this person is on the paper has went missing, I'd doubt people visiting here would know. Plus, you said it yourself she's an adult woman, so who knows, maybe she ran away from you because you're being annoying? I'm not risking this by getting scolded by my manager; you can put your flyers somewhere else, not here. Stick them on walls or poles illegally, I don't care."

Leedo scoffs before picking back up the flyers, void of any words to reply to her. He storms out of the parlour without giving a second glance to the other customers eating.

He knows whatever the cashier said is right; Han Byul has been missing for more than a week, but when they checked her unit after fearing that something had happened to her, it seemed that she had took all her important belongings and left it as it is. No one knew when she walked out, no one knew where she went at first. The only clue he could unearth was her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter