[part]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They are all waiting for her answer of what Aeon she is; her lips feel dry and she keeps taking a look at both Yeosang and Seonghwa briefly from the corner of her eyes, silently pleading for help. She opens again when no sound comes out from the first bid, but the second one only hears a croak arising from .

"Why does it matter anyway? Once she's in our team, things like Aeons don't matter. Plus you know that system's bull," Yeosang jumps in, nodding slightly at Byul as a sign of reassurance. She looks visibly relieved as he came in to the rescue.

"Why did you ask that question? You know I hate hearing that word," Seonghwa expresses to Akira, but his voice is soft, giving the opposite of the impression of him being angry.

"Because I know you hate it; if you're angry you'll leave this parlor and leave me alone," Akira replies jokingly, already turning around to head to the back. "I need to finish this book before we get another customer. And stop pouting, you look like a gigantic ugly duck."

"Did you just call me an ugly duck?"

"I'm glad your hearing is still intact. Now go or you're going to scare our customers away."

"But you already have a customer." He pulls her hand, purposely making her lose balance and land against his chest. Taken by surprise, she doesn't have time to react as she loses her grip on the book and it falls to the floor.

"Ugh, how much longer do I have to witness this?" Yeosang says as he looks on through his fingers, already feeling like he's going to bring Byul out of the parlor and leave this instant. It's too bad the car key is with Seonghwa or he'll zoom out of here as fast as he can. "This is making me feel nauseous."

"Really? You're here to get a tattoo on your own will?" Emira asks again, looking at Byul. "Not because they threatened you or something?"

"Hey," Yeosang protests.

"Nah, I was just joking. Of course I'd love to get one."

"What kind of tattoos are you planning on getting, and where? I don't think you're planning on getting them on your arms or legs since I can see some bandages sticking out," Akira walks past Seonghwa and approaches Byul.

"Anywhere but there," she replies, bringing her sleeves down further to completely cover the bandages.

"If you say so, I'll gladly do it. You two hooligans go and have a date while I draw. Only come back when you're needed," Akira pulls Seonghwa's hand and links it with Yeosang's, pushing them out of the tattoo parlor while they are hand-in-hand. Making sure the door is closed and that the two men are no longer in sight, she turns to Byul.

"Now that those two are gone, you can talk to us freely, we don't bite. You're not a new recruit are you? Were you one of their targets, or involved in a mission went wrong?"

When Byul remains silent, Akira guides her to take a seat and sits beside her.

"Were you being forced to stay with them?" she asks again. "If you are, you can tell us."

Byul shakes her head fervently, trying to cut off the suspicions as quickly as how she brought the topic up. "I wasn't forced into anything; they did nothing like that. Fine, it's true that I'm not a new recruit and that I was accidentally involved with them, but they weren't bad to me. I'm pretty sure that you know them well and if you're being suspicious of them, then you're just making me worried when I wasn't before. And don't you at least trust Seonghwa?"

Akira lets out a sharp breath at the mention of her trust towards Seonghwa, and the ghost of a sad smile appears on her lips.

"It's because I trust Seonghwa that I'm asking you. I know them well enough to know you're not a new recruit and that you were not even a trainee there." She takes a look at Byul's face, unsure of how far she knows.

Taken by her soft coaxing and the fact that the men trust her, Byul accedes. She spills about what caused her involvement with these men, and up to her uncertain position in the group. She finds herself burying her face in her hands by the end of her story, with a cup of hot tea served by Emira for her and Akira's hand patting her back.

"They are good guys by default," Akira comments. "But they're also the bad guys for what they do. You need to remember that. I know that you were left with no choice but getting involved with them can be dangerous. You don't know-"

"I know how dangerous it is," she finally says. "Your- friends, colleagues or members; I don't know in what way you're involved with them, but I'm not as oblivious as they think I am. If you think I'm willingly involving myself into something that I'm completely blind about, I'm not. I know what the Bifidensis is, the process of people getting recruited there and what happens inside there. I know just how dark and twisted everything is. I do believe that both of you mean well, but I know."

Akira and Emira look at each other, caught by surprise by her revelation.

"I'm tired of them thinking that I'm stupid but if I ever revealed to them what I know they'll lose their trust in me. They'll start thinking that I was sent over to them on purpose, when some of them are already doubting me from the get-go and I can't do anything about it. All this because of my ty luck being Han Byul. I thought that I'd get a fresh start once I-" she cuts herself off, realizing how much she is revealing to a stranger.

"If you're not one of the trainees there, how do you know about them?"

Byul presses her lips together, resolved in how far she's going to reveal herself. This is as far as she's going to tell, when she's been doing a good job in keeping everything about herself away from the spotlight. The only thing she needs right now is trust, but her attempts always fall short when something that challenges it keep popping up.

"Were you one of the trainees there?" Byul redirects the question to Akira, which seems to baffle her when she doesn't expect her to counter.

Emira sticks out her lower lip, impressed by how Byul is navigating the problem, refusing to answer her sister's question. She becomes a spectator for the meet between both of them; if one knows no better it could have looked like they are fighting over a guy.

"No, I wasn't," the tattooist answers truthfully, realizing how smart Byul is in turning the tables and focusing it on he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter