[listen]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing her mind tells her body to do is to pull him out of harm's way, registering the situation as imminent danger. She heaves herself up to the roof, scrambling to run towards the platform, but at the same time making sure that she herself will not slip from the lack of a proper pathway. She jumps onto the platform, in which he still has not realized that she is behind him as he's looking over the edge. She wastes no time in grabbing a hold on to his jumper, pulling him back instantly that they both roll onto the platform, away from the boundary.

She lands on her back with a soft thud, hitting her elbow on the cemented surface and she grits her teeth to suppress the pain, feeling lightheaded from the sudden impact. He follows a split second later, landing on his side and he yowls. For a moment everything in the world is still, and time only flows again as she stabilizes her breathing, taking it in for her to prepare to spill her words out.

With him still lying down on his back on the platform trying to record the reality of the situation, she grabs his collar and utters, "Look, Mr. Kim. I know that life might be hard for you and you feel that no one ever does give the respect you deserve, but doing this is not the solution. If you ever feel the need for someone to listen to you, I'm willing to but please don't do this-"

"Ms. Han," he grabs her wrists to stop her from blurting out again, before he moves to the side to sit up straight. He brings both hands to his ears to take something out, and they turn out to be wireless earphones. "What was that for, and what on earth are you saying? No, are you still on earth or are you too far gone to the moon that you're starting to speak nonsense?"

"You," she squeaks, "were- were going to- go."

"Go where?" he frowns.

She throws her hands to the side, demonstrating the act of something falling down with trembling pupils. "Like- go over the edge and-" she puts her palms close together, feeling much better at showing it than saying it out loud.

He keeps quiet as he looks to the left, looking at the boundary before his face breaks off into understanding at what she's trying to say. He almost breaks into laughter but decides against doing so when he looks at her; her face is dead serious and she looks like she would drop into tears if he were to ever laugh in front of her. He knows that she had been crying, judging from her red eyes and face glistening with dried-up tears.

He shakes his head slowly, then puffs, "Ms. Han, please calm down. I wasn't trying to do anything of that sort. The wind is strong tonight." She doesn't understand the context of his explanation even when it's proven; both of their hairs are whipping in the wind as they sit on the platform. "I brought a scarf with me because the night is chilly but the strong wind brought it away. I was trying to look for it to see where it landed. It seems that this is what I've been telling you since yesterday, but you don't have to worry about me. I'm perfectly fine."

"Are you... sure?" she asks timidly at first, but her face changes as she starts to look furious. "You shouldn't have done that then, no matter how much you were trying to look for your scarf. That was dangerous! What if you slipped and no one was around?"

"Your sudden presence could make me surprised and slip; now that could become horrifying."

"Of course I would suddenly pull you away from the edge, I was worried! And no," she puts up a finger, too close to his lips but without contact and it's making him flustered nonetheless, "don't tell me to not worry about you. I have every reason to when each one of you seem to enjoy giving everyone who deals with you heart attacks!"

"Ms. Han," he interrupts. "You can't be worrying about us every single time; even our job itself is a dangerous mission overall, and you're going to have a hard time if you're nitpicking at every single thing that you deem unsafe."

She purses her lips before leaning backwards tiredly, discreetly rubbing a hand at her elbow where she landed roughly. She doesn't have an answer for his comeback because deep down she agrees, but still she feels that he'd only make fun of her if she were to let it pass without clarification. As she racks her brain for an answer, he looks at her rubbing her elbow before he tsks loudly.

"So what you're saying is you're going to worry about us every time, and in the process hurt yourself? Would be really annoying if you get hurt when you try to heroically save us as it kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?"

"I never knew strawberries could talk this much," she counters, annoyed. She gets to the point that she doesn't even mind her elbow and proceeds to turn around so that she'll have her back towards him. She slouches, resting her chin on her knees. She plays around with the chipped off cement as she turns quiet.

"Well you became a strawberry yourself," he shoots back, but underneath his tone it sounds playful. "No, make that a raspberry. You look more like a raspberry."

Even as he makes fun of her, she stays quiet. Thinking that she's done with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter