[birthday]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hwayoung's little fists shake excitedly as she runs around the living room after Yunho told her that for her birthday, she's not going to kindergarten but out with both him and Byul instead. Her uncles smile at this, as Seonghwa, Jongho and San prepare for her birthday cake to be taken out. Hongjoong went to visit Wooyoung at Dr. Kei's small hospital, promising that he'll do a video call with him once he arrives there.

As soon as she woke up this morning, still groggy, dried saliva trailing down her chin and hand holding her plushie, Yunho, Yeosang and Mingi jumped in front of her bedroom door wearing party hats, singing her the birthday song and doing some dance much to her delight. The short show of birthday dance by her dad and uncles woke her up as they used the party blowers, and the sound resonated through the whole three-storey building.

Byul helps to prepare Hwayoung's backpack, one of her favourites where instead of the mermaid it's now a unicorn, still in the colour purple. Byul has dressed up to go out; a black chiffon blouse tucked in a light brown lawn skirt, and she has decided to take out her lip ring, gliding a light pink lipstick over her lips. She smiles when Hwayoung, still in her pajamas, runs to her and practically jumps up, with Byul catching her on time and showering her with birthday wishes.

As Yunho gets out of his own room after showering and getting ready, Yeosang looks back and forth between them while shaking his head, muttering, "These two really love to rub it in our faces, don't they?"

Byul groans when she looks at Yunho's clothes, shooting daggers at him, who's innocently going over to the dining area while putting on the birthday candles on the cake.

"Really? I'm not going to be the one to change my clothes," Byul nudges him.

"What do you mean?" Yunho nonchalantly washes his hands and helps to prepare the table for breakfast.

San eyes them from the side, but he offers no words, merely putting on a defeated smile before he goes upstairs to his own room, intending to shower.

"Is this all planned?" Seonghwa excitedly interposes himself between the two as he twirls around the string of his apron. "Both of you decided to wear couple clothes? How cute."

Yunho is wearing a black shirt tucked into light brown pants, almost exactly like what Byul is having on.

"Oh don't be silly," Yunho waves them away. "It was all a coincidence, stop thinking too much about it. None of us have to change anything; it would be a waste when we have already worn it."

"Dad! Can you help me button up my sleeves?" Hwayoung comes skittering from her bedroom to the kitchen, her hair untied. She holds out the sleeves of her black shirt and the corner of Seonghwa's lips tugs at the sight - Hwayoung looks like a mini version of Byul with her black blouse and skirt that is exactly the same colour as Byul's. The only difference is the fabric of her blouse and there are polka-dots on it.

"Hwayoung," Byul says through gritted teeth. "You look so pretty!" She glares at Yunho, who is still pretending that he has nothing to do with it. "We're wearing exactly the same clothes."

"She wanted to wear the clothes so I followed what she wanted," Yunho quickly interjects, kneeling to help button up her sleeves and silently pleading through his eyes so that Hwayoung won't spill the beans.

The kid does not get the message. "Stop lying, dad. You laid out the clothes for me today and said that I must wear them. You told me yesterday night you wanted all of us to match."

Mingi snorts as he hears this, giving a thumbs-up to Hwayoung before he takes a seat at the table for them to start breakfast.

"Jeong Yunho," Byul enunciates, but her face softens when she sees Hwayoung looking excited to start the day.

Only one day; only one day doesn't hurt.

They gather at the dining table, the birthday cake in the middle with San helping to light the candles up, and again in synchronization they sing happy birthday for her. She blows out the candles and clasps her small hands as she mutters a silent wish with her eyes closed. They wait for her to open her eyes before their gifts for her emerge one by one, and she accepts them happily with sparkles in her eyes.

"Happy birthday, our little princess," Yeosang says. "You're the one of the best things that has ever happened to us, we hope that you grow into a wonderful and beautiful young lady."

"Thank you Uncle Yeosang," she grins. "And Uncle Seonghwa, Uncle San, Uncle Jongho, Uncle Mingi, dad and Byul-ie!"

Seonghwa does a little clap with the tips of his fingers before he picks up his phone. "Now where is our team captain," he mutters.

He smiles as the request for a video call comes in, and he picks it up immediately to have three faces fill in the screen: Hongjoong, Wooyoung and Mikyung. They seem to be fighting to have the most space in the screen, and it results to their faces squished together.

"Uncle Wooyoung, Uncle Hongjoong, Ms. Lee!" Byul-ie waves with her spoon.

"Happy birthday our little Hwayoung!" Wooyoung shouts before screeching the birthday song, causing both Mikyung and Hongjoong to plunge their fingers into their ears. As soon as he finishes, Hongjoong and Mikyung chip in their birthday wishes before promising that they'll be giving her presents soon.

Hugging the blue narwhal plushie with a ribbon around it - a present from Jongho - she nods fervently before shoving more food into , chewing hastily as if she can't wait to go out with both Yunho and Byul.

"Honey, slow down," Yunho reaches out his hands, wiping the mess around with his thumbs.

She swallows the food, finishing her plate of breakfast much faster than her uncles. She turns to the phone and asks, "Uncle Wooyoung, did you make Ms. Lee happy again?"

"Maybe you can ask your teacher," Wooyoung replies, sneakily putting his arm across her shoulders and pulling her close.

Her uncles secretly groan at Wooyoung's display of affection but Hwayoung's eyes light up as she sees it and it's further confirmed by Mikyung who nods while having her cheeks painted red. It seems that the kindergarten teacher finds it still hard to believe that she's now together with Hwayoung's uncle - one who never seemed interested in her in the first place.

"Oh, I have to do some check ups and Dr. Kei said I could go back earliest by tonight. I hope you guys don't miss me too much!" Wooyoung utters before waving his hands to the camera.

"We never missed you," Yeosang and Mingi deadpan as the call is cut off by Hongjoong. They wanted to add because you made us worried with the gunshots but thought better of it as they look at Hwayoung.

Most of them, if not all, are still grumbling at the fact that they were blatantly deceived by him during that night, turning the whole team into a frenzy as they transported him to the small hospital owned by the ex-military doctor. They were crying, faces puffy and red eyes, only to be told that Wooyoung had the bullets barely piercing his skin. It did puncture his blood vessels to cause blood loss, but the damage was not up to par with his reaction. It made them even mad as the doctor ripped open his shirt and they found the heavy bulletproof vest with the fresh bullets lodged nicely in the material.

If only Wooyoung had not fainted, he would punch his friend right there and then.

After everyone has had a bite of the birthday cake, Yunho stores Hwayoung's presents in her bedroom, emerging not long after as he sees Byul helping to tie up her shoes. Byul stands up, passes by him and utters that she'll be waiting at the exit of their headquarters. It feels weird having to separate at the dorm and meet outside not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter