[protect]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I told you it's her, but you didn't believe me." The woman with the brown locks spreads out the pictures she took on the table, pointing to the same person in each of the picture. "She changed her hair and appearance but there's no mistake it's her. And these people," she points to the group of people surrounding her, "are the members of ATEEZ."

"No," the man with the moustache replies, shaking his head. "There is no way that Han Byul would be together with ATEEZ. That's not how it's supposed to work; she swore that when she left us, remember? She wanted nothing to do with us anymore; she wanted to live a normal life. So why on earth would she be among them? You're being delusional, Danbi. I can't believe you're looking for me after all of this. Our team broke up, we went our separate ways."

Danbi bites her lower lip, tears almost escaping her eyes. "Uncle Remy," she pronounces, "you were there when Jeong Yunho and Lee Eunbi met each other in secret. You were taken away and locked up when you tried helping them live a normal life. Lee Eunbi was killed because she loved another human being. How long do you think we have to suffer from this? How long do people like them," she bangs a fist on the table before pointing furiously to the pictures that she took, "have to live without knowing that their days are numbered?"

"Danbi, I treat you as my daughter and I know that we bonded over the fact that we managed to escape that crazed facility. But doing this is not logical; we're not even a strong team, not even a complete one. Where are the rest? Han Byul, Shon, Alana and Qama are not here. We were a team built with a clear mission, but no clear strategy. If we plan to bring down the Bifidensis by ourselves... that's not going to happen. We're getting ourselves killed while they keep on prospering."

"So you're letting this go? Even when you know how that damn system costed so many lives?"

"Han Byul was the first to leave our team." He gathers the pictures before looking at them. "When she left us it grounded us to our situation; we were only defectors of the system, but not strong enough to beat the system. We get to escape only because of someone else's mercy."

"That's why we have to do this," she presses on, "assemble back our team." She hikes up her sleeves to show him the sword and flowers tattoo on her upper arm. "You have this tattoo. Alana, Qama, Byul and Shon have this tattoo. To remind us what we're supposed to do. Kim Hodong saved our lives, and we promised to pay him back."

"With our lives, again," Remy resigns. "Sure, he saved us from getting killed, but what did he ask in return? To bring the Bifidensis and KTC down by sacrificing our lives, so how does that make him any different than any of the other Bifidensis board members? In the end, it's not him that's getting killed, it's us. We're becoming the scapegoats."

"Uncle Remy, you don't understand!" Danbi shouts, grabbing the attention of the others at the back-alley barbecue restaurant so she tunes down her volume. "This was supposed to be the plan; we were assembled, but we had to wait until ATEEZ was released from the training centre. We were supposed to work together with them."

"Danbi, think about it. That Kim Hodong doesn't even care about his own nephew. He's forcefully shoving his nephew into ATEEZ, knowing that he is fully planning for their deaths."

"He knows!"

Remy looks taken aback. "What do you mean he knows?"

"Kim Hodong's nephew, Kim Hongjoong, knows about this mission all along. He knows why they were picked as ATEEZ by his own uncle, he knows that some of them might not even make it out alive."

He scoffs in disbelief. "He knows... yet he's letting it be. Not even rioting against his uncle."

"Uncle Remy," she pleads, "The mission was supposed to be set in motion as soon as ATEEZ got released into the real world, but it was halted because Han Byul decided to leave to start a new life, and our team broke up. Now none of the ATEEZ members know what they're in for, because Hongjoong was not able to tell them about it as our team no longer existed. They're living everyday on lies! But now that we see her with them... things are changing, Uncle Remy. We might even have a shot at making this work, even without getting anyone killed."

Remy stares at the picture of Byul, smiling among the others as she hugs a kid. "Is this... Jeong Yunho's child?"

Danbi nods. "Do you think that she's planning to live anyway?" she says, hard.

"Kim Danbi," Remy warns. "Watch your mouth. You treated her as your sister."

"What if..." she looks down, "I say this was what Han Byul wanted?"

"You're losing me. This was never what Han Byul wanted; that was why she left us in the first place. She never wanted to sacrifice her life for this uncertain mission."

"That was before she met Jeong Yunho again. And the kid."

"No," Remy shakes his head. "Don't say it. Don't think about it."

Danbi takes out her phone before opening a message and showing it to him. He refuses to look at it first as he sips the cold water, but her eyes are begging him. So he does, taking the phone from her and reading the lines one by one.

"Kim Hongjoong reached out to me after that day I accidentally stumbled upon his team member, Choi San. None of the others know about me because I left the facility even before they were recruited, except for him. But we know every member of ATEEZ because Kim Hodong has fed us this information, asking us to wait until the 8 of them will be released from KTC."

Remy's eyes travel to the television on the corner, his mind wandering as it's becoming more complicated. He thought that once their team was broken up, their lives will get better. Or at least, uneventful, and he'll be eternally grateful for that.

It's true; their team - Dyskaryo, a group of the system's defectors - is given all the information they had on the potential members of ATEEZ back then, so the only thing they had to do was to wait for them to be released.

But Byul refused because one of the members was Jeong Yunho and so she left. That was when the team started breaking apart, the mission failing before it even started.

"Jeong Yunho betrayed her," Remy utters. "That was what she believed."

Danbi nods, solemn. "That was why she didn't want to proceed with the mission; why would she work with someone who betrayed her trust? That was why she left this team."

She takes the phone again before displaying another message, this time a lengthy one from a private number. The message was too long until it couldn't fit into the screen, so Remy has to scroll as he reads the delivered message.

"But she stumbled upon the team by accident. It was truly unintentional, but that encounter with them opened up the lie she had believed all this while."

"She changed her mind."

"She did. Now she's planning to get back to the very people who had made her suffer, even if that means getting herself killed."

"No, no, no." Remy shakes his head, looking like he would almost throw the phone against the wall, or smash it with his fist. "Stop."

"Uncle Remy... she wants to protect the child and Jeong Yunho. She wants to protect the rest of the members, because they're all too oblivious to what the Bifidensis is planning to do with them. One year, five years and then they'll even forget they have contracts. But when the tenth year comes... no one will be spared."

"Danbi, please-"

"No, don't say that it's going to happen later and that we don't have to worry about it! As long as this system is in place, people like them d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter