[wonderland]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Among the bustling crowd of tourists flocking to the seashore, the meeting between all those involved except for Kim Hodong and Lee Minhyuk takes place, a some sort of rushed reunion as Byul gets to see her fellow Dyskaryo members left. She rushes up to them, pulls Danbi into a hug before saying how much she had missed her, and turns to Uncle Remy before the old man envelops her hands in his, mentioning about how he is happy to see her so healthy.

Seonghwa, Hongjoong, San and Yeosang look on, understanding how much it must have meant to her; they were the very people who helped her to get back on her feet as she stepped away from Wonderland. They only politely stand by the side, watching as they exchange quick check-ups with each other, then promising to meet again at their last gathering point before everything starts tonight.

Before they part, Danbi hesitantly approaches San, studying his face before she sticks out her hand, uttering, "I never got the chance to say this, but I'm truly sorry for beating your and drove your head against the lockers that day. Hope we could reset."

Her lipstick is as bright as he remembers when he first saw her, and he titters in amusement as he shakes her hand. He expected it to be rough and be full of callouses, but what he touches is soft that he feels as if her hand could slip out of his grip if he doesn't hold it firmly enough.

"You really tore my pride that day, probably wouldn't have survived if you didn't stop when you saw who I was, Kim Danbi. Now that I know your name you seem friendlier and more approachable, not like some kind of silenced enemy with red high heels."

Yeosang clears his throat as he sees San and Danbi shaking their hands much longer than necessary, putting his own palms together and claiming, "Ah, right. I think we can start preparing ourselves for tonight. Right, Seonghwa, Hongjoong and Byul?"

Danbi quickly slips her hand out of San's grip, muttering something inaudible as she goes to Remy's side and the two vanish among the group of tourists flooding the market. Like a father and daughter duo spending their weekend visiting tourist attractions, they stop by some stalls, looking through some of the souvenirs sold and street food put out on the tables. They look almost normal, if not for the fact that Danbi keeps looking over her shoulder, stealing glances at Byul, who has finally moved on with the rest.

"Danbi," Remy calls out to her, putting down one of the multitude of decorated seashells the sellers are promoting on the table.

When she gives no response, he calls out her name again. The third try, when it seems that she is only staring into the distance without any focus, he lightly put a hand on her shoulder, and this startles her to an extent that she almost drops and lets the seashell in her hand to break into pieces.

She places back the decorative item before turning to him while being as expressionless as she can get. Too much is reeling in her brain, but she can't find the right words to verbalize her individual thoughts so she only shrugs, follows Remy through the pathways of the crowded market while keeping a lookout for any possible followers but find only tourists with brim hats and monopods, plus sellers promoting their items in the loudest voice, looking to outdo each other.

Just as she's about to step out of the market with Remy a few steps ahead of her, she catches sight of a familiar face, body facing straight to her. The figure looks like a tourist at first glance; khaki pants with a flowered shirt and he lowers down his shades, making a point to stare at her.

Remy doesn't notice that Danbi has stopped walking, her attention caught by the familiar figure. The figure then does a gesture to her, and she smirks. She returns the gesture, nodding slightly as he his eyebrows and puts his shades back on, before turning around to lose himself among the crowd.

"Danbi! What are you still doing there?" Remy utters, prompting her to move faster.

She turns around for one last look to the figure, but he's already gone. She catches up with Remy, head somewhat cleared but still disorganized. Tonight, the plan will change its course and what they had planned earlier might fall through.

Sorry, Han Byul. Looks like you won't get what you're planning to do and I'll make sure of that.

---

Hongjoong and Byul stand in front of the monitor that Yeosang has set up for them, analyzing their different plans and studying maps to familiarize themselves with the pathways on the island. San and Seonghwa have been playing around with the weapons they brought; the firearms and explosives - all usage in detail repeated to them by Yeosang, ensuring that only the right ones are used at a suitable time.

Danbi has her legs crossed as she observes her team members, following every move of each and every one of them, her demeanour extremely calm as opposed to them. Even Remy seems to be pacing back and forth as they continue devising, throwing in ideas on how it's going to be in around two hours from now. She's the only one who doesn't seem to be panicking, as that's how it usually goes for her anyway. She's relatively unfazed with how the world goes, and she barely bats an eye even when death is chasing her to the core.

Lee Minhyuk has called to inform that the high-profile investors will be attending the 'dinner' he kindly arranged at the seafood restaurant just a few steps away from the boat the Bifidensis members are about to have their annual meeting, providing insights on the layout of the restaurant while they prepare to take them out remotely.

When everything is set up and the only thing left is the actual execution of the plan, each of them seem to claim their own spot in the hotel room, praying and mentally preparing themselves for the simultaneous missions.

Before Danbi and Remy position themselves to target the investors and Kim Hodong takes his place among the Bifidensis board members, the remaining five will be well on their way to Wonderland, which could take around an hour of commute. As soon as the plan near the sea is set in motion, the showdown at the island will start.

A tad lot of work, but it's not that they're going to leave the island anyway.

"You seem to have a lot on your mind."

Danbi looks up to see San near her, holding an expression that she can't quite put a finger on. He's handsome, she thinks, but doesn't say it. She thought the same during their first encounter at the subway station, but figures that she should have chucked that away when they were literal enemies.

But now as they're on the same side it's hard for her to banish the thought away, even more when he's looking at her with those damned eyes of his and the way his dimples appear whenever he talks. She tears their eye contact by looking down when she realizes that she has been staring at him too much.

feelings, she decides. No good out of it. But when he asks whether he could take a seat beside her on the sofa, she thinks again, well .

"Trust me, I look like I think a lot, but my thoughts are disjointed most of the time," she replies as she reaches out for a cushion. "I'm the type to not think and just do it. Sometimes that impulsive nature costs me a lot." She shrugs.

He leans against the furniture, looking at her from the side before his eyes travel to Byul, who is leaning against the balcony while talking to Hongjoong seriously, but occasionally some laughter escapes her, so it's hard for him to discern the air in this room. Everything's a mess of feelings. He's seen Seonghwa continuing to stare at the same picture of Akira on his phone, zooming in and out as he sighs again and again. Meanwhile Yeosang has his phone beside him on the bed, and he would steal glances at it whenever a notification pops up.

They know what they're in for, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they accept it. It's more of them trying to convince themselves that what they're doing will finally bring peace to those who are left, even though it means sacrifcing their own lives. Staying back would amplify the detrimental effects the Bifidensis have on them, and so before it gets out of control, it would be better if they stop it first.

"I guess you're not like the others?" she asks without context, pulling her legs up onto the sofa as she hugs them.

"What do you mean?"

She points to Seonghwa. "That dude has been staring at the same picture of the girl for almost half an hour now." Then she turns to Yeosang. "That one looks like he's waiting for someone to text but it never comes." She looks at both Byul and Hongjoong before thinking, "I know that Byul is missing Jeong Yunho and her daughter like crazy but she's trying to divert her attention by talking to Kim Hongjoong instead. I know her too well." She puts a hand to her temple. "Okay, I retract my words. It seems like you and Hongjoong are not like the others. You don't have anyone to miss besides your team members? No... lover or some sort?"

"If I say I do but I don't show it, what're you going to say?"

His response takes her by slight surprise that she darts her eyes away, before pursing her extremely red lips. "Nothing, just wondering. I'm amazed at how not one of your team members follow the rules of the 'no relationship' clause. I'm not under t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter