[back]

Crescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seonghwa glances at the old lady on the backseat through the rear-view mirror. She is fiddling with her fingers and a pained expression is on her face, as if something is bothering her. He was given the address to her house almost hesitantly, as if she still hasn't fully put her trust in the two young men in the car with her. Even when San tries to make small talk with her, she only gives one-worded replies. So the two upfront are only left looking at each other with questioning looks, whether she's shaken by what happened, or she's wary of the them.

She looks defensive, hugging her torn bag of groceries and wrapping her fingers around her cane like she is ready to strike anyone that comes close to her. She looks different than the old lady that had beaten Seonghwa with her cane; right now she looks fragile, swimming in her own thoughts as they pass by the row of residential streets and shophouses.

He alternates from looking at the road and the lady behind him, but soon enough he's only focusing on the road. He figures that the she might need time to recover from what had happened, even though she had said on her own that she would let the thief go. It's hard to guess what's on her mind, so he lets her be.

A memory comes to him, reminding him of his mother, who is now in a better place. They may not be the same age, but maybe it's the tenacity of the old lady trying to fight over the chicken was what reminded him of his mother. His mother was like that, and he guesses that's where he got the affinity for always trying hard to snag up the best deals and prices. His mother had thought him how to navigate life, teaching him the best tricks of life even when she was struggling herself. No father figure; only him, his older brother and his mother. He tries to channel everything he does in memory of his mother, and that was why they called him the 'mother' of the group.

Trying to make his mother proud, even when she's no longer around.

He gives a signal to make a right turn, entering a road with rows of dilapidated houses, situated in a residential area that is nicknamed 'The Dumpster' by the haves living around them. A residential area for the have-nots, it seems that even the local council has given up on the area. Trash collection is way behind schedule, grasses are left to grow wildly, vandalized walls are displayed proudly. He stops in front of the address, looking back once to get confirmation from the old lady.

She only looks down to the floor sheepishly, her clumsy hands trying to open the door. She manages to get it open after a few tries, but her groceries spill onto the ground outside, the ice crystals on the packed chicken already melting and the peaches in the plastic squashed. She silently bends down, shakily collecting her groceries.

Seonghwa opens his door, rushes over to help her while muttering about how he can replace the peaches for her.

She merely shakes her head weakly, saying it's not necessary.

San observes her house from inside the car. There are letters stuck inside the mailbox, too crammed as they are not collected. Different flyers and advertisements are stuck on the metal gate with chipped paint. The supposed white pillars of the entrance look like a different colour entirely, having been decorated with splashed paint and fungi. The plate number of the house beside the mailbox is gone, probably stolen to be sold off as metal scraps for some money. Even the metal drain cover is not in sight, proving hazardous for someone could walk into one as it's located just beside the small gate. The roof has multiple holes in it, damaged further by the uncertain weather. The house looks uninhabitable, and it pains him knowing that the old lady is living here.

"Are you really fine, Mrs...?" Seonghwa trails off as he tries to save as much peaches as he can, even when most are already damaged. Only then he realizes that she only bought two items; the raw chicken and peaches. He hands them to her, and she accepts it, although she seems ashamed of it.

"It's Mrs. Ryu," she offers. "And... thank you for helping me back there. If both of you weren't there it'd probably be worse. I'm also sorry for hitting you back at the supermarket and for saying all those mean things. I just..." she gestures towards her groceries sadly, "Naeun and Dohwan really loved to eat chicken so I'm always trying to cook for them."

He slightly frowns at her use of past tense, considering how she said 'loved' instead of 'love'. He doesn't question it, but she must have seen the look on his face because she gives an explanation.

"When we used to live together I would cook chicken for them everyday and they loved it. But since they got married and started their own family they don't visit me anymore." She gives a sad smile, "I know what you're thinking, young man. I'm just a delusional old lady that keeps on cooking chicken dishes everyday

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter