our road trip

My Youtuber Girlfriend

 

A road trip is always fun when shared with a loved one.

 

And that was exactly what Eunji and Chorong have been planning ahead for months. Despite their busy schedules, they fixed on a day to drive from Seoul all the way to Busan, Eunji’s hometown. Five hours of nothing but just the them on the road and cameras.

 

“Good morning everyone. It is seven in the morning. Really sleepy but I am on the way to fetch my girlfriend from her place.”

 

Eunji greets her camera with a long yawn, not even caring the fact that her big mouth will be shown on screen. Turning the key as the car engine roared, she pulled her seatbelt across and got ready. Driving out of the parking and out into the city, nothing like a typical Monday morning in Seoul with traffic at its worst.

 

Switching between her Spotify playlist, the Youtuber sang to herself as a means to keep herself awake and away from boredom. Occasionally swaying her shoulders to the rhythm, smiling as she belted out high notes and laughing out loud when she sees someone staring at her from the windows, it’s all happiness and embarrassment into one.

 

“Oh! She’s already outside waiting for me!” Eunji’s cheekbones slowly raised upwards as she swiftly reversed her car into the parking space, turning the steering wheel around with one hand as she unlocked the door. “Hey baby~” She chimed in with a greet, getting out of the car as she helped to put in all of Chorong’s baggage into the boot.

 

“Hello~” Her girlfriend waved cutely at the camera as Eunji laughed, finding it adorable that she has gotten used to the cameras now.

 

“What about me?” The Youtuber frowned, cutely tugging to her girlfriend’s sleeve as if upset that the camera had a higher priority than her. Chorong looked around shyly, making sure no one was around. With the coast clear, she playfully pushed the camera away from Eunji’s arm and leaned in to plant a quick kiss on her girlfriend’s lips. “You get this instead~”

 

Even though she’s more than ecstatic to receive a kiss, but Eunji whined, “Hey! The camera didn’t capture it! Do it again!” She laughed, touching her lips once more as she begged Chorong with her wriggly eyebrows. But her girlfriend said no and simply went inside the car. Guess she’s going to find another way to play with her games.

 

It will be an hour before they can reach the rest stop. But that is fine because Chorong came prepared. She was already up way before, making and packing kimbap into the box. And now, she’s feeding her girlfriend who was focused on driving.

 

Popping one into as she danced to the music and looked at the camera, Eunji took one glance at Chorong and giggled. The fact that she has gotten very comfortable with the camera would make it so much easier to produce videos together.

 

“The traffic is really no joke.” Chorong said, quietly munching as she fed another one to Eunji.

 

“Don’t worry, once we pass the toll. The road will be as wide as my love for you.” The Youtuber winked as her girlfriend rolled her eyes in response. There will never be a day where she will not hear a cheesy line from her.

 

“Okay. Got it.” Chorong replied coldly, reaching her hands down to lower the aircon. Noticing how she’s rubbing her shoulders to keep her warm, “Cold?” Eunji asked, looking at her worriedly.

 

The Youtuber remembered that she had an extra cardigan lying somewhere. Making sure that they were still stopped at the red light, she carefully stretched her arms behind and reached for the pockets, pulling out a crumpled brown cardigan. “Wear this.” She said, unfolding it and putting it over Chorong’s back.

 

“Thank you~” Her girlfriend replied with a quick peck on her cheek.

 

In that moment, the light turned green and Eunji was back to being busy on the road. As they chatted about work which was mostly about Chorong complaining about annoying customers with ridiculous requests, it was small moments like these that they enjoyed. Even with the camera still rolling, it didn’t matter because Eunji could always edit parts out. That was the magic of video editing.

 

“Baby, have you ever thought of making your own Youtube channel?”

 

“Me? Does it look like I have time?” Chorong asked to which Eunji responded with an “Ah, right” and killed the conversation immediately. But after much thought, her girlfriend turned to her. “Do you think it’s possible?” The Youtuber looked at Chorong with intrigue.

 

This is the first time that she’s trying out her chances. Eunji remembers the days when her girlfriend was very careful with things. Because of that personality, she missed a lot of good opportunities. It makes the Youtuber happy that Chorong is trying to change for the better.

 

“What kind of ideas do you have? I can help you with the editing.”

 

“I want to do something like those ASMR videos. Oh, I know! I can show people how I make the beverages. Like those videos where there is no talking but just showing the action.”

 

“I think that’s a wonderful idea, baby!” Eunji supported it. “I’ll help you out with this! I really think people will be interested to see the behind scenes of a restaurant.”

 

As the two began to excitedly chat and discuss ideas for Chorong’s possible Youtube channel opening, they soon arrive at the rest stop for lunch. This was in fact, the highlight of the trip because it was a food paradise.

 

Left and right, there were plenty of stalls packed together. Crowds queuing in long lines to try out the different varieties, tables filled with customers eating away and that aromatic scent wafting throughout the large space, they don’t know where to start.

 

Arms locked as they dragged each other from one stall to the other, their hands eventually began to fill up with paper plates and bags of food. It went from tteokbokki to fishcakes, fried chicken and cups of noodles, the couple were lucky to find an empty seat and placed their treasures there.

 

What was supposed to be a road trip video later became an eating broadcast of the two chowing down their food, their lips deliciously and food moans in between.

 

“Oh wait, we need to say something.” Eunji laughed, realizing that the camera is still recording them. They have been so hungry that the Youtuber has forgotten her original duty.

 

“How’s the food?” She asked, bringing the camera over to face her girlfriend. Chorong nodded and gave a thumbs up.

 

Rubbing her thumb across Chorong’s mouth, “You have something here.” The Youtuber said, wiping the sauce away and her finger. “Mm, spicy.” She hummed, eventually putting down the camera as she chose to dedicate herself to eat rather than record. Either way, Eunji’s probably just going to speed up this portion on the video.

 

Now that their bellies were full, the couple took turns to take the wheel. This time, it was Chorong on the wheel and Eunji whispered to the camera, saying that her girlfriend was a much better driver than her.

 

“I heard that.” Chorong said in a flat tone, eyes focused on the road as she pulled up a signal and moved to another lane. “Everyone, please drive safely. Don’t use your phone when you are-“ Eunji cut in, “Okay, thank you, next!” She giggled, not wanting her viewers to listen to her nags because the Youtuber wants to keep Chorong’s nags to herself.

 

Switching the camera off to conserve its battery, Eunji checked the time via her phone. They still have quite a long way to go. Three more hours. “I’ll take a nap. You okay driving by yourself?” The Youtuber yawned, reclining her seat slightly backwards. “I drive better when you’re not watching. Go and sleep baby.” Chorong said, taking a quick glance at Eunji and back on the road.

 

Switching off the radio so that she can sleep better, the car has gone silent with nothing but the sound of the car engine purring away. It was clear that Chorong and Eunji had a distinctive driving style. Eunji was the type who needed loud music to keep herself on the momentum while Chorong was the type who focused better without any distractions.

 

“Baby. Wake up.”

 

“Mm…did we arrive already?” Eunji yawned as she rubbed her eyes, finding that the car has stopped at a petrol station. But seeing from the hard expression from Chorong, she knew that something was wrong. “Baby?”

 

“Sorry. I don’t think I feel too good. I’m going to the toilet for bit.” Her girlfriend said, removing her seatbelt and getting out of the car. As the door closed behind, Eunji looked on at Chorong with a worried look. The Youtuber wondered if it was because she ate too fast earlier and that could lead to indigestion.

 

Eunji knew that her girlfriend always had issues with her stomach. There was even a time where she was hospitalized and that was a hard period to go through. Praying for the best, Eunji decided to get out from her seat and return back to the driver’s position. Sitting in wait for minutes, the Youtuber was unsure whether to lock the car and go after Chorong in the toilet.

 

But to her relief, she sees Chorong walking out.

 

“Are you okay?” Eunji asked, watching her girlfriend enter the car. She shook her head in response, hand on her stomach. “I’m sorry…I…”

 

“It’s okay.” The Youtuber reassured her with a soft smile. “We can go back to Seoul. It’s three hours away from here.”

 

“No, we came so far already…let’s just go to Busan.”

 

“Baby. Health matters the most.” Eunji said, hands on hers. “I want to make sure that when we have our road trip, everyone is in top notch condition. Otherwise, where’s the fun?” Noticing how Chorong looks like she might just cry because she feels very sorry for having to ruin everything, the Youtuber pulled her into a warm hug and kissed her forehead.

 

“Hey, there’s always a next time, right? It’s not it’s the end of the world.” Eunji pulled back, laughing as she circled her thumbs around Chorong’s cheeks, “Why are you crying? Don’t cry baby.” She pouted, kissing her nose bridge and brushing her fingers across her hair.

 

“I just feel so sorry…this always happens because of me…I just…”

 

“Hey, hey, don’t be that way. It doesn’t matter if the road trip is cancelled. What matters most to me is that your health. I don’t want to see you sick.” Eunji said, taking a tissue from her bag and handing it to her girlfriend. “I think there should be a clinic somewhere. Let me check.” She proceeded to take her phone and open up the GPS, searching for the nearest one.

 

“I’m sorry baby for ruining the trip…I’ll be sure to make it up to you next time…” Chorong sniffed, slightly embarrassed but her heart was warming up to Eunji’s actions.

 

“Sure.” Eunji chuckled, “In bed, that is.” She winked. And in that moment, the warmth that filled up Chorong’s heart quickly dissipated. Right. Her girlfriend could be both sweet and playful at the same time. “W-Whatever…let’s just go to the nearest clinic and get some medication…” She mumbled, looking away. Eunji laughed, changing the GPS location from Busan to the nearest clinic and they were off.

 

But the Youtuber did not realize that her secondary camera was recording this the whole time. Later on, she would make use of that footage and in turn, viewers will fall in love with the couple even more, wishing that they could find a perfect girlfriend like Eunji, and giving their well wishes to Chorong.

 

It was only when they arrived back at Eunji’s apartment in Seoul that the Youtuber finally switched on her main camera, explaining the whole situation of Chorong’s sudden sickness. She showed the bags of medication that her girlfriend would have to eat for the next few days and then, to Chorong who was lying in her bed, fast asleep.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m sure the two of us will have another road trip again. Until then, goodbye~” Eunji whispered to the camera as she waved and switched it off. Plugging the camera to the charger, the Youtuber went in to check on her girlfriend.

 

“Everything okay?” She cooed, kneeling down to have the same eye level as Chorong. Her girlfriend replied with a nod, “Did you tell your parents yet?”

 

“Yup. They want you to get well soon first. Don’t worry baby, there will be so many other chances when we can go to Busan. And I want to make sure that my first road trip experience will be with you.” Eunji smiled, kissing her cheek and pulling the blanket slightly upwards so that Chorong will be warm.

 

“Thank you, baby. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

--