christmas holiday

My Youtuber Girlfriend

 

There’s snow everywhere—piling on the roofs, covering the streets and raining on people strolling the walkway. This isn’t Seoul, but a foreign country.

 

Eunji greets everyone in a red beanie, she’s got a scarf wrapped around her shoulders and body tucked in four layers of clothes. Her nose is a little red from the cold. But the Youtuber is smiling. She’s happy.

 

“Guess where I’m at~?” She sings and turns the camera around, showing a woman from afar. She seems to be taking something out from the snow. Eunji approaches her.  

 

“Hello beautiful lady, what are you doing?” Eunji asks while trying to contain her laughter. The woman looks at her with a "are you serious” and shakes her head.

 

“Taking out the beer that you put it yesterday night. I think it’s frozen.”

 

Chorong says as she reveals herself to the camera. One hand holds onto the beer while the other waves at the camera. What is noticeable is her matching beanie with Eunji.

 

“We’re on our Christmas holiday in Tromsø, Norway.”

 

Eunji announces as she and her girlfriend are walking back to the Airbnb they’ve rented out—a small, cozy cabin that is perfectly located between the mountains and rivers of the Norwegian valley.

 

“Honestly, we’ve been planning this for a long time.” Chorong says as she walks closer to Eunji so that she’s visible on the camera too. The woman is no longer shy with the camera around and that makes her Youtuber girlfriend happier.

 

“Yeah, the two of us have been really busy.” Eunji pouts, somewhat missing the easier times back then. But what is happening now, is for the better future.

 

The Youtuber has been actively uploading cover songs that went viral. From This is Me, Speechless, Into the Unknown and more recently, a Christmas Carol medley, Eunji has amassed a huge following. Not only that, she’s recently received a contract offer from an entertainment agency with plans of debuting for real with her own album.

 

This meant a lot of focus on work, less time spent on her personal life—precious time with her girlfriend.

 

But Chorong too, has her own fair share of work. Ever since she turned into a freelance photographer, she’s been working closely with Bomi as her personal photographer. She travels to places for shooting and sometimes is asked to take photographs for commercial companies.

 

Now, Eunji trusts Bomi—despite the prank she pulled on her. She knows that there’s absolutely nothing going on with their relationship because Bomi loves Naeun. It’s just that, the Youtuber is a little jealous that her best friend gets to spend way more time with her girlfriend than anyone else.

 

And so, to make up for lost time, the couple decided to clear all of their schedules in the week of Christmas for a well-deserved holiday. And what better way than to celebrate in a romantic place like Tromsø?

 

“This is the Airbnb we got.”

 

Chorong explains as Eunji hums to a song as a background music.

 

“It’s pretty cozy and warm. The floor is heated. There is a fireplace over there. And look at this bedroom!”

 

Chorong points at the window facing their bed. It overlooks the snowy mountains, making it a great aesthetic to wake up in the morning.

 

“You picked the place well, baby.” Eunji kisses her girlfriend’s forehead. Chorong smiles softly at her. Although it isn’t much, but she misses these small moments together.

 

“Anyways, we still have some time left before our driver picks us up.” Chorong says to which Eunji nods.

 

“Baby, I think our subscribers would like to know where our driver is taking us.”

 

“Oh.” Chorong pauses for a moment. Eunji chuckles as her girlfriend replies, “We’re going dog sledding.”

 

“Woohoo~” Eunji cheers as she pumps her fists into the air. Chorong gives her a judging look and shakes her head. Even when her girlfriend is already twenty-six years old, she still acts like a kid. But sometimes, it’s nice to have a kid-like girlfriend.

 

Because she gets to see cute moments like this.

 

“Awwww…don’t give me that look baby. I swear, I am not drunk. I am just really, really excited for dog sledding!” Eunji whines with a pout. At this point, if she was a dog right now, Chorong could see her tail wagging about.

 

Chorong laughs at Eunji. If the camera wasn’t on, she’d really just make out with her right now. But she holds it in, even though right now, kissing her would be absolutely romantic. Kissing Eunji with this beautiful scenery of the snowy mountains behind them—it’ll be such a dream come true.

 

“Do you want to build a snowman~” Eunji says as she sings in the tone from the Frozen movie. This makes Chorong laugh even harder as she joins in the fun, “Come on let’s go and play~” and grabs onto Eunji’s arm, taking her out to their snow-filled garden porch.

 

The couple hopes the people walking past wouldn’t judge them when they see hopes two full, grown adults building a snowman together. As Eunji is busy forming a snowball in her hands, she gives a playful grin at her girlfriend. Chorong notices and gives her a, “You wouldn’t dare,” look.

 

Eunji snickers and daringly throws the ball at her. But alas, she misses. Chorong rolls her eyes and whines, “I thought we’re building a snowman!”

 

“Changed my mind!” Eunji laughs. She runs behind the tree to hide. Chorong honestly does not want to play this game because its so childish. But when she sees the pure happiness and glee on her girlfriend’s face, she just plays along—even though she really hates it.

 

The video fast-forwards to the couple running about their garden porch, throwing snowballs at each other and already forgetting their half-built snowman. Eventually, it cuts off as the camera ran out of battery.

 

But what the camera doesn’t capture is this.

 

Chorong attempts to throw but her feet trips over a hidden branch buried under the snow. This leaves the woman falling over. She yelps and Eunji quickly rushes over.

 

“Baby, are you hurt?!”

 

“Yeah…ouch…I think I sprained my ankle….” Chorong winces as there’s a worried expression on her girlfriend’s face. And that was enough to tell that she’s fallen for the trap.

 

Chorong takes this chance and smashes the snowball on Eunji’s face. “Gotcha!” She laughs as Eunji groans and falls back.

 

“Aw man! You tricked me!” Eunji cries and points at her. Chorong pulls out her tongue in response. And Eunji absolutely loves it when she manages to bring out the playful side of her girlfriend.

 

“Naughty girl.” Eunji purrs and kisses Chorong. Their lips are cold but when they are latched on each other, it’s warm. It’s a long kiss and no one pulls back. They’ve missed this. This whole moment together.

 

When Eunji pulls back, Chorong’s face turns red. Eunji laughs at her because she knows it’s because they are in public and people walking past probably took a glance at them. But this isn’t Korea. This is Norway. They have nothing to worry about.

 

“So, are we tied?” Eunji asks.

 

Chorong shrugs. “Fine. Tied.”

 

Eunji grins and nods. “Good! Let’s go change. Driver will be here anytime soon.” She goes and lightly pats Chorong’s .

 

This makes Chorong even redder because first, it takes her by surprise. Second, her girlfriend just smacked her in public, in front of everyone.

 

The camera is back on with a new set of batteries and cuts to the couple at the dog sledding house. Both Chorong and Eunji squeal at the large pack of huskies coming to greet them. Some jump up, others twirl around and the rest bark in delight.

 

In fact, the couple once talked about adopting and raising a puppy on their own. But with how busy they are, it will probably be a reality in the far future.

 

After a briefing with the guide, Chorong and Eunji were now on the sled and getting ready to leave. The sun is about to set and it creates the perfect scenery around them. With a loud whistle, the huskies start to run excitedly and pull the sled forward.

 

“Here we go~!” Eunji cheers as she raises her hands up in the air. Chorong grabs onto her girlfriend’s arm tight and laughs at her energy.

 

It’s a dream come true. To be on this sled, to be surrounded by so many cute huskies and to share this wonderful moment with the love of her life. This is everything Chorong and Eunji ever wanted.

 

“I feel like I’m in a movie.” Chorong says quietly as she’s enjoying the view from the ride.

 

“Magical, isn’t it?” Eunji replies and looks at her girlfriend with a wide smile. “If we’re in a movie, what kind of story will we have?”

 

Chorong hums and thinks for a moment. “How about a cliché love story with a happy ending?”

 

“Sounds about right.” Eunji kisses Chorong’s cheek and pulls her closer. “I love you baby.” She murmurs into her ears.

 

“Love you too.” Chorong says and rests her head on Eunji’s shoulder.

 

The couple watch the passing scenery as the huskies continue to pull their sled forward. This journey continues until the sun sets and everything falls dark. Like a spell undone, they eventually return back to reality. The ride ends.

 

Chorong and Eunji have dinner as part of complimentary section in the dog sledding package. They gather inside the hut with other guests and are served with local Norwegian food. There’s a steaming, warm pot of venison soup filled with potatoes, mushroom, carrots and dices of meat. This is then, accompanied with a platter of bread.

 

Eunji feeds Chorong first before having a taste of it. She observes Chorong’s reaction and knows that when she raises her eyebrows, it’s going to taste amazing. Her expression never lies.

 

“God.” Eunji moans when she slurps the soup. Chorong gives her a thumbs up and dips the bread in. She feeds Eunji this time and hears the solid crunch. She laughs when Eunji’s eyes almost bulge out as she aggressively nods her head.

 

“It’s even better with the bread!” Eunji raises her voice by one octave as she immediately takes her own bread and dips it in.

 

The guide comes over and asks about the food. Chorong and Eunji both nod and give a thumbs up. They also thank the guide for taking care of them throughout the ride and hope to come back again, when they have the chance.

 

Night has fallen in Tromsø.

 

Chorong and Eunji return back to their Airbnb. But this isn’t the end of their day yet. There is still the Northern Lights to see in Tromsø.

 

A small campfire is set up at the back of their garden porch as they sit in and wait. Eunji brings out the beers that they froze in the snow. Chorong does the honour of popping it open and pouring them into the glass.

 

While the exhaustion is clear on their faces, it is the kind of happy-tired.

 

“Do you see it yet, baby?” Eunji asks as she takes a sip. Chorong stares at the sky and shakes her head.

 

“You need patience for this. And a lot of luck.”

 

“So, you’re saying we might not even see the Northern Lights today.”

 

“That’s possible.” Chorong shrugs, not wanting to give much hope. She wants to be realistic.

 

“Aw.” Eunji pouts and shifts her makeshift chair closer. She clinks her glass with Chorong’s as they drink again.

 

The couple chat as they wait for the Northern Lights to show. An hour passes and there’s still nothing. Eunji eventually falls asleep while Chorong remains awake, enjoying the atmosphere and taking photographs. She also makes sure to take a photo of her girlfriend asleep—for teasing purposes.

 

The camera clicks and Chorong smiles when she checks the photograph of Eunji. She’s sleeping so soundly and at peace. This holiday is the perfect healing trip for the both of them. It is then, Chorong looks up and notices the sky appearing to have a different colour.

 

There is a slight hue of green and purple mixed among the skies. Immediately, Chorong taps Eunji and wakes her up.

 

“Baby. It’s here. The Northern Lights!”

 

Eunji jolts awake as she rubs her eyes. Her frown turns into a wide smile as she becomes mesmerized at the view. Chorong too, stands there in awe. The Northern Lights is absolutely gorgeous.

 

“Wow…” Eunji gasps. She doesn’t blink because she wants to save every single piece of it in her memory.

 

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Chorong says as she keeps her sight up in the skies.

 

“Yeah.” Eunji nods as she changes her look to her girlfriend. She smiles softly at Chorong still staring up. “Baby.” She calls out.

 

“Hm?” Chorong turns to look at her.

 

“Merry Christmas.”

 

This time, Chorong grins and says, “Merry Christmas baby.” She leans in for a kiss.

 

The kind of kiss that she’s been wanting and dreaming about. A kiss underneath the beautiful Northern Lights of Norway. Under the dazzling green and purple hue, under the rare sight that comes by chance, it’s the most romantic thing ever.

 

And certainly, their best Christmas holiday.

 

 

--

 

 


a/n: merry christmas and happy new year everyone ^^