when she's away from home

My Youtuber Girlfriend

 

Today is a happy day for Chorong as she will be flying over to Venice, Italy for work. But for Eunji, that’s a nightmare.

 

And as they are driving to the airport together, the Youtuber has been sulking the whole ride. Chorong finds that absolutely adorable, making her feel like she’s leaving her lovable puppy behind.

 

“Baby, it’s only two weeks. How bad can it be?” She cooed, her girlfriend’s hair as Eunji’s driving as slow as possible.

 

“Is this how those couples in long-distance relationship do this? This is pretty hard…” The Youtuber sighed, hating the fact that she sees the airport sign already.

 

With that, Eunji pressed gently onto the accelerator, making the car move like a tortoise. This was enough to leave Chorong scolding her girlfriend and that cars lining up behind are going to kick her . The Youtuber laughed and decided to obey, returning the vehicle back to its original speed.

 

Eventually parking outside the entrance, Eunji reluctantly unbuckled the seatbelt and got out to take Chorong’s luggage. It isn’t much. Just two bags.

 

“I’m going.”

 

Eunji pouted at her, raising her two arms up as an obvious sign that she wants a final hug. Chorong giggled at that and instead, leaned forward to bravely kiss in front of public.

 

It makes the Youtuber surprised that her girlfriend has become more confident these days. Maybe it is because she is no longer restrained by her family who has now disowned her. Or maybe, it’s because she can now fly freely with the support of people behind her back.

 

Either way, all that matters now is that they are both happy.

 

“A kiss isn’t enough.”

 

Eunji pulled Chorong closer into an embrace, curving slightly into her crook as she took a long whiff of her hair as if she is trying to engrave the scent into her memory. “Be safe. Don’t talk to strangers and do your job. Be sure to give me updates every day okay?”

 

The Youtuber murmured into her ears, hands wrapped tightly around her waist.

 

“Yes, yes, of course. You’ve said that so many times.” Chorong nodded as she moved to cup Eunji’s face. “I’ll be right back. Love you.” She smiled, pecking her lips once more as the Youtuber reluctantly let go of her hand.

 

Waving goodbye as she watched her enter the terminal and the glass doors closing behind. The Youtuber heaved a sigh and looked at the camera with sad, pouty lips, “She’s gone…”

 

The first three days isn’t too bad. Eunji’s got Bomi as her company. And she’s been busy fuelling her attention on vocal classes, planning out new song covers and discussing a long-overdue collaboration video with her bestie. Work does make her less lonely.

 

That’s…until when she comes home to an empty bed. Void of Chorong’s warmth, voice and laughter. Yeah, that kinda hurts.

 

Eunji would have to balance out the time difference in Venice, often staying up late to video call her or waking up really early in the morning for a 30-minute chat. But even so, it’s hard when she’s sleeping in a big, queen sized bed without her favourite pillow.

 

No other pillow works best than Chorong.

 

“To anyone who is in a relationship and living together, I recommend trying this out.” Eunji picked up the camera as she sprawled out onto the mattress, legs kicking away the blanket. “You will begin to learn just how significant your other half plays a role in your life. Really.” She stressed in tone, “It’s only Friday and it just feels really empty without Chorong.”

 

Turning the camera around to film the empty space beside and patting her hand on Chorong’s pillow, Eunji switched it back to her, “I’m not sure what to do for the weekends.” She shrugged in thought. “Usually, it’s reserved for my girlfriend. Hmmm…”

 

The Youtuber tried to reflect her times when she was not “taken”.  The single Eunji back then would be out partying in the weekends. With her extensive circle of friends, she would be invited to almost every single party available. Her presence would be in night clubs, Internet cafes, karaoke bars…but she can’t do that now.

 

Not when she’s swore to change her habits for the better. It’s a promise she made with Chorong. So, that option is out.

 

Staring blankly at the camera for a long minute, Eunji decided to do something she’s never done before. Opening her phone and heading to Instagram, the Youtuber begins her first ever live broadcast. Immediately, comments flurry in from simple greetings in Korean and other foreign languages, to random questions and casual compliments. It doesn’t make Eunji feel alone anymore.

 

Throughout the night, she’s doing a fanservice by asking her subscribers to request her songs. She also answers any interesting questions. It’s all fun until she sees someone commenting into the box.

 

mulgokizary: Are you really that bored?

 

Eunji read that out loud and giggled. The comments were freaking out and it become even harder for the Youtuber to read. This was hilarious.

 

mulgokizary: Go to sleep its 2am over there =_=

 

“Wow, I literally read that comment with her voice. You see guys, I’m being nagged at even when she’s miles away from me.” Eunji stated, rolling her body around as she continued her live broadcast for another ten minutes before waving goodbye.

 

It’s 3am and Eunji should probably sleep. But she’s certain that since it’s night time over at Venice, it wouldn’t hurt to give her girlfriend a surprise video call. It beeps for a long second until Chorong’s face flashes on the screen.

 

“Hello~” The Youtuber grinned in greet, despite having tired eyes. “Had your dinner yet?”

 

Chorong nodded and showed Eunji the view of the restaurant she was at. It was romantic. The streets were lit with orange glowing lanterns, jazz musicians playing in the background and the quiet whispers of couples at the tables.

 

“It would be perfect if you were here.” The photographer mumbled, proceeding to show Eunji her meal for the night. Served on the table was a bowl of lobster bisque, T-bone sizzling steak, garden salad and an oyster platter, all sponsored by her client.

 

Eunji wow-ed and later joked that she will have to end the call abruptly otherwise she might have to scour the kitchen for a really late-night snack.

 

 “I know at this hour; we would probably be at the movies or something. But find this opportunity to do something that only you would do. Alone.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“I don’t know,” Chorong shrugged in reply, “Go to a frog farm or something,” She joked with that suggestion in which Eunji played around with that statement, insisting that she could just go there and send her girlfriend a thousand frog pictures.

 

“Oh, are you asking not to have your calls answered while I’m in Venice?” She threatened with that same smirk which Eunji missed so much. If she wasn’t sane, she might really kiss her dirty phone screen.

 

“I’m just joking baby. You know me~” Eunji whined with a pout, “I guess I should really go to bed” She yawned, looking back at the time again. It’s 4am now. Time passed so quickly even when their conversation felt like five minutes.

 

“Go and sleep. It’s a weekend tomorrow so you can sleep in all you want. I’m always an early riser so this is your chance.”

 

“Ah! That’s a very good idea! Okay~ then I’ll see you in my dreams.” Eunji giggled, “As long as you don’t dream weird things about me,” Chorong cut in just seconds before the Youtuber switched the call off.

 

The second week is a lot better. Eunji isn’t moping around or bumping into her friends, practically begging them for company. She has found her ways of having fun alone. Well, besides holding an Instagram live everyday at the oddest hours, the Youtuber decides to tour around Hongdae to seek inspiration.

 

It’s something that she knows Chorong would dread going to. Music wasn’t really Chorong’s thing. But she respected her interests. And now, she can use that chance to explore it.

 

From sitting in at busking sessions, meeting new people amongst the crowd and discussing about music, it’s not a surprise that Eunji’s gained a few more friends within that week. From a creative boy named Yoo Seungwoo to an older female muse, Sunwoo Jungah and other talented musicians, it’s been a rather fruitful week.

 

And by Sunday, the Youtuber is back at the airport and ready to take her girlfriend home.

 

“So, did you come back speaking Italian?”

 

It’s the first thing Eunji says when she finds herself in Chorong’s arms, hands wrapped around her waist, head snuggled in her crook.

 

“Non proprio”

 

“W-What?”

 

Eunji let out a surprised laughter, she didn’t think her girlfriend would be serious in that joke. Seeing how confused her Youtuber is, Chorong laughed out loud and gently slapped her shoulder.

 

“It means not really. Anyways, I’m hungry. Let’s eat something.”

 

Smiling at that statement, Eunji doesn’t waste a moment to girlfriend again. “Hmm, what’s the magic word~?” She sang that line in, forming her lips into a pout and closing her eyes.

 

Chorong knows exactly what she wants. And although, usually, she would play back and fool around with Eunji. But this time, she’s going to give exactly what Eunji wants. Not because she’s tired.

 

But those two weeks were one hell of a ride. Although Eunji might display her affection a lot more directly, Chorong kept her feelings inside.

 

She too, missed her girlfriend so much.

 

So, without hesitation, Chorong surprises Eunji with not just a kiss, but a little dip of the tongue in. But she pulled out quickly as a means to play around with her girlfriend. Grinning back at her, Chorong grabbed her luggage and dragged it to the car, leaving a very smitten Youtuber with a dancing heart behind.

 

“Hey, you can’t just cut off the like that-“

 

“Pause the movie. We’ll continue that at home.” Chorong winked and boy, that was enough to seal the deal for Eunji. Unable to stop smiling, the Youtuber decides to head into the car and hope that their lunch would be quick so that she can get down in business quick.

 

Maybe when she’s away, it’s way better. I feel so pampered when she's back.  

 

 

--