Chapter 2

I'm Your Fan

“So if everybody could just form a straight line so we won’t waste any more time. And so we could accommodate everyone...” A man’s voice announced. Now I get what Sica was saying. But it doesn’t justify the hardship I went through for this thing. I would’ve felt better after the album was signed if it was my favorite group’s album and if I care about these people. But of course, I still feel every ounce of tiredness in my body. 

 
I was the 16th person in line. Wow, thank God. I don’t want to wait for another hour for this meaningless thing. I heard my stomach grumble and yes, I haven’t eaten anything today. It’s a surprise I wasn’t dead or starting havoc yet. I could call this an achievement.
 
The line started moving and I can see the table where the idols were sitting. I do admit they are pretty but in some odd way, they all look alike to me. I didn’t pay any attention to them nor look at their direction again until I was the next person in line. Although I did take some pictures.
 
Finally it was my turn. I handed out the album to the first member and I didn’t even look while she was signing it. When she was done, she passed it to the next member but she made sure to make eye contact with me, maybe thanking me or something. If I was their fan maybe I would feel giddy or I could die (because that would be how I would feel if I saw my favorite group this close). I just nodded in response or respect which earned a confused look from her.
 
I did the same to the other member with black hair. She also stared at me weirdly like the girl with the short blonde hair.
 
But when I got to the third member, I did a double take. She was definitely cuter than the other two. And she also has this beautiful smile. Not that the other two didn’t have one. It’s just the girl with blonde hair was too cute and the black-haired girl has this eye smile which I’m not very fond of because she looks like she’s going to cry. But this one was just right. She was cute but not too cute. She also had her unique smile that reaches her eyes which made her look so adorable like a kid. 
 
She also made eye contact with me but I shrugged it off as well. But I think she didn’t find me weird since she kept smiling and she bowed her head thanking me for coming to the event.
 
After I got the album, I stared at the three signatures that looked like hurried scribbles. It just made the album look dirty, and I thought to myself, This is what I waited for for 11 hours?? What a waste of time.
 
Well, after all I’ve been through I can go back home with my mission accomplished. I can’t wait to eat my free dinner from Jessica. I would definitely go all out.
 

 
I found Jessica in our room sprawled on the bed, speaking with someone on the phone. I caught the last part of the conversation.
 
“Yes, I’m not lying! My friend really went to get my album signed!” When she saw me, she giddily waved her hand and I gave her a sneer as I practically drag myself to my bed. “She’s here! I’ll talk to you tomorrow!” I threw the CD on her bed and I dived dramatically into my bed.
 
I buried my face in the softness of my pillows, feeling the tiredness build up in my body. I hear Jessica squeal and I didn’t even lift my head to acknowledge her.
 
“Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you SOOYOUNG!!!” She said as she jumped on me. I was still lying face down and I groaned in annoyance. 
 
I lifted my head to face her and said, “Will you please be quiet? I wanna rest. You owe me that much.”
 
She stopped jumping up and down but the smile on her face didn’t falter. It made me feel good a little bit. But of course I wouldn’t tell her that.
 
“Yah~! Where’s my food?” I demanded. 
 
“Oh right!” She reached for her phone and dialed a number. “I’ll order now. What would you have?”
 
“You know what I like. Just go and do it or else, I might eat your freaking CD.” 
 
When the food arrived, Sica helped me arrange the stuff. She was doing everything for me and I could get used to her doing this. But it’ll just probably last for like two days and she will be back to her usual y self which I learned to love over the years.
 
I shoved my first bite of food for the day and it tasted like heaven.
 
“So?” Sica began. I looked at her, my cheeks bloated, completely stuffed with food. I just raised my eyebrows in response. “What do they look like?”
 
I drank some water to help the food ease down my throat. I swallowed hard and said, “Who?”
 
“Lyrics!” She almost yelled, complete with hand gestures. 
 
I rolled my eyes. “I don’t know.” I deadpanned.
 
“What do you mean you don’t know? You just saw them in person today!” She exclaimed. I can tell she was annoyed. 
 
I placed my chopsticks down and said, “Look, I told you I don’t care about them. I can’t even remember their names or faces.” I saw a pout form in Jessica’s face. I rolled my eyes again. “Don’t you have like tons of pictures of them saved in your laptop? Why don’t you just look there?” 
 
“It’s not the same!! Of course they don’t look that way in person!” She argued.
 
“How can you be so sure?” I asked. Seriously, Jessica is too obsessed with this group.
 
“Fine. Don’t tell me.” 
 
“I’m telling the truth! I can’t remember what they look like!” It’s true. Once I’m reunited with food, I can’t think of anything else. But Sica was not buying it. I sighed. “If it makes you feel better, you can check my phone.” I said, stuffing my face with food again. Sica looked confused but she grabbed my phone from my bed anyway.
 
“What am I supposed to do with this?”
 
“I took pictures.” I said like it’s not a big deal. 
 
I can see the excitement form in Sica’s face as she tapped away in my phone. There were occasional ‘ohmygods’ and ‘she’ssoprettys’ coming from her and I shook my head at her silliness. 
 
After a few minutes she said, “Sooyoung, you have a bias.” 
 
Excuse me? “I have a what?”
 
“A bias!” She said. “What the hell does that mean?” I asked.
 
“A bias is the person which you like the most in a group! Like your favorite.” She explained. 
 
Is she insane? How can I have a favorite when I don’t even like this group? “What are you talking about?” 
 
“Come here.” She said. I sat beside her and we scanned through the photos. 
 
I noticed out of the 30 something pictures I took, there were like 6 or 7 each photos of the short haired and black haired girl and the rest was of the girl who had a cute face. 
 
“You like Taeyeon.” 
 
“Tae-what?” I asked innocently. It was true. I didn’t know what she was talking about. I snatched the phone from her and scanned again. She was right. Majority of the pictures was of the girl named Taeyeon.
 
“Kim Taeyeon.” Sica repeated. “She’s the group’s leader. And her voice is so, ugh~ it’s just heavenly” She added, full of admiration.
 
I raised my eyebrows. “So? I need to know this why?”
 
“Oh come on! You obviously like her!”
 
“No I don’t!”
 
“Yes you do!” Jessica insisted. “If you don’t, how do you explain all these pictures you took?”
 
“It’s just a coincidence! I can’t even tell them apart!” I said too quickly, trying to defend myself.
 
“Are you kidding? They have different hairstyles Sooyoung! You can tell them apart based from that. Look, Sunny has the short hair, Tiffany is black haired, and Taeyeon’s is the long semi-blonde one!” She justified. 
 
Then it hit me. She was right. But in my defense, I took those pictures unconsciously. Jessica seemed to sense her victory when I didn’t give a come back so I heard her say, “Wow. I can’t believe of all three you will like Taeyeon!” She happily said. “She’s too short for you.” She pointed out.
 
I looked at her, disgusted. “I don’t know why this is a big deal to you. Besides, this doesn’t mean anything. I won’t join your stupid club of fan girls or whatever cult you have to worship these people so stop it Sica.” 
 
“Fine whatever.” She surrendered. “But I warn you, Tiffany is mine.” I rolled my eyes which I made sure she saw.
 

 
*YAWN*
 
I stared at my watch for the umpteenth time today. When will this class end? It’s like Math but with no numbers involved. I freaking hate this Humanities class. Why do I even need this in performing arts major?
 
The professor went on and on about another project again for the new semester. I, of course, was not paying attention. But her last sentence snapped me back to earth. “Alright, I’m gonna divide you guys to pairs…”
 
Pairs?? I hate paired up projects. It’s either I would be the one to do it, or the other one does it. I’ve never been in a paired project where the both of us cooperated, unless I’m paired with Jessica. She always bosses me around and making sure I do my share for the project but she’s not in this class with me! Well then, I’d better make my partner do all the work.
 
I tried to listen attentively for my name to be called. After 10 minutes of roll call, the professor was finally done but I didn’t hear my name called. 
 
“Choi Sooyoung! See me after class.” Was all I heard. What the hell is this? I’m not flunking this subject already, am I? It’s just the start of the new semester for crying out loud. 
 
After class, the students exited the classroom and I was left alone with my professor. I prayed hard that she wouldn’t make me do this project alone. 
 
I approached her desk, waiting for an explanation. She seemed busy, looking up some papers from her desk, arranging it in a pile. Seriously, did she just call me here to watch her stack some papers? I saw her face lit up when she found a paper from the stack. I guess she was looking for it or something. Then she said, “You’ll be in a special case for this project.”
 
I raised my eyebrows in confusion and shock, but I didn’t comment. “Your partner is a new student in our class. Her schedule doesn’t allow her to attend our class as religiously as everyone else so I want you to exert effort for this.”
 
Now is the part where I scrunch up my eyebrows. “W-what do you mean I have to exert effort? Where is my partner?”
 
“I haven’t finished yet. I want you to take this down and listen carefully to my instructions.” Take down notes? The world is ending. Why is she making me do this? 
 
“First, you will absolutely not tell anyone about the information that I will give you because this is confidential.” I wanted to protest but she silenced me with a warningly stare. “Second, you will have to do the best you can to help your partner pass this subject by making them cooperate and by relaying the lecture notes that they missed during our classes.” If my mouth wasn’t gaping earlier, I’m pretty sure it is now. “Lastly, you have to go to this address to meet them in person after class, got it?”
 
I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Yeah, I got it alright but… “Why me??” I blurted out.
 
“Because you need to focus Sooyoung. I know you’re a brilliant student but you’re just lazy to study and concentrate in class. I know this will help you a lot in building your self-confidence and realizing your dreams.”
 
What the hell is she talking about? Who does she think she is? I’m confident! And who told her I don’t have dreams? This is just Humanities for pete’s sake. Why do I have to do this for this stupid subject?
 
“Oh and by the way…” I heard my professor say, “You’re probably thinking that this subject doesn’t count a lot but I must tell you that if you flunk this, you’re never going to graduate. You know how graduating students must have an above average grade right?” 
 
I rolled my eyes. Of course I know that. “So go to this address right away and introduce yourself to your partner. They’ll know who you are.” 
 
She stood up and left me without being able to complain or ask some stupid questions I formulated in my head. 
 
What kind of punishment is this? Graduating !
 
Wait…
 
I’m a freaking third year student!!!!
 

 
I huffed in exhaustion after catching the subway train. I forever curse my professor for making me do this. I can study well! Why didn’t she just make me go to the guidance counselor or give me some detention or something rather than making me do this?
 
It’s an effort in my part. Plus, it will cut in to my lazing time, and my dance rehearsal. 
 
Ugh. I hate my life.
 
I boarded off the train at the stop indicated on the address I got from my professor. It’s not far away from my school, why is this person so special? Why can’t he or she just go to the university?
 
Maybe they have a disability or something? That’s why I have to like exert effort. Yeah, that’s it. How else would you explain this?
 
I found myself staring at normal looking building, with a small lobby. I assumed it was an apartment but there were several security officers parading the room. One tried to block me but when I told them where I was going, they let me through easily. 
 
I hurriedly headed to the elevators. I pushed the button which has 18 on it. The elevator started ascending and I felt my ears hurt from the air pressure. A small ding sounded and I stepped out of the compartment. 
 
I was greeted by a normal looking hallway. I scanned the room numbers. 1809 it says in the address. I turned my gaze on the left side and I was face to face with the right room. I hit the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door. 
 
I stood awkwardly for about 10 seconds before I heard some scrambling inside the apartment. The door opened and I was greeted by a familiar looking person but I couldn’t quite figure out who.
 
“Are you Choi Sooyoung?” She asked. 
 
I showed her my ID and I nodded. 
 
“Come in.” She said without any further questions.
 
The battle in my head was still on while I was taking off my shoes. Where did I see this person before?
 
As I entered the apartment, I saw two other girls inside. A short haired blonde girl, and a black haired girl who were both eating cereal while watching TV. I bowed my head in greeting which they happily returned. 
 
“Have a seat.”, said the girl who answered the door who has a semi-blonde hair. She smiled at me sweetly with those cute little eyes. She was so short that she had to look up while talking to me. She’s like a kid.
 
Wait….
 
Short.
 
Cute eyes.
 
Semi-blonde.
 
Like a kid.
 
And the two other girls who I know I’ve seen somewhere before.
 
Oh no.
 

Sorry for the wait guys.. I'll try to update as fast as I can.. i just need a little inspiration.. 
:D 
your comments are greatly appreciated. ^^