Chapter 10

I'm Your Fan

The look on Jessica’s face was priceless. Hell, if this situation wasn’t bad enough, then I would be laughing my out already, mocking Jessica’s reaction when she saw Taeyeon standing outside our door. It’s like a practical joke from a hidden camera show, which cracks me up all the time. But I didn’t dare laugh. Coz nothing’s funny about this.

 

No one uttered a word for about 30 seconds which felt like torture so I broke it, “Uhh.. May I help you?” I asked carefully and as casually as I could. It’s not that I’m pretending that I didn’t know her… it was just the first words that I came up with.

 

I did my best not to look at Jessica but at the corner of my eye, I can see that she was still shocked, her eyes wide as it darted back and forth between Taeyeon and I. I’ve got a lot of explaining to do.

 

Taeyeon glimpsed at Jessica and then she focused on me. She eyed me up and down, studying me… (I think) from the cast on my leg to the crutches I was using for support. Instead of answering my question, which I hope didn’t offend her, she said, “May I come in?”

 

I was kind of hesitant but what am I supposed to do? I can’t turn her down. She’s in our freaking doorstep. Even though I didn’t want to talk to her as of the moment, I didn’t have any choice. So I stepped aside, motioning for her to enter. As Taeyeon turned her back, I nervously looked at Jessica, trying to see if she will have a sudden outburst because there was a celebrity in our house, not to mention, a member of her favorite group, but she was still standing there silently. (Which shocked me, frankly.) When she felt my eyes on her, she scrunched up her eyebrows, and eyed me suspiciously like saying ‘what the hell is going on?’ and also waiting for an explanation at the same time. I gave her my best apologetic look and mouthed, “I’ll explain later.”

 

My crutches clinked noisily on the very quiet room. Tension was building in the air but no one dares to engage in small talk. Jessica closed the door but she was unmoving on her spot. I can feel her eyes on us as I took a seat on the couch beside Taeyeon, the latter was studying the apartment, looking around for who knows what. While her attention was not on me, I gestured for Jessica to go to her room, which she protested to by saying a silent but powerful “NO”.

 

I rolled my eyes in frustration. I was about to ask Taeyeon something when we heard Jessica clear . We both looked at her, and she was coming over to the living room. Taeyeon leaned in to me so she could whisper in my ear, “Who is she?”

 

“Oh. Right. I’m sorry.” I said as if I just realized someone else was in the room with us. “Uh, this is Jessica, my room mate and best friend.” Taeyeon stood up, meeting Jessica half way. She extended her hand and said, “Hi, I’m Kim Taeyeon. Nice to meet you.”

 

Jessica just stared at Taeyeon’s hand. Shake it Sica! I said in my head, trying to communicate with my best friend telepathically. I took a deep breath of relief when she finally shook it and said, “Jessica Jung. Nice to meet you too.” I can see the nervousness in Jessica. I bet her hands were shaking while holding Taeyeon’s which she wasn’t letting go so I said, “Sica~yah, can you get us some drinks? Please?” When I didn’t get Jessica’s attention (she was stil gripping Taeyeon’s hand), I grabbed my crutch and poked her on he leg, hard.

 

“Ouch! Soo!!!” She was startled and she finally let go of Taeyeon’s hand.

 

“I said get us some drinks!” I said loudly.

 

“Fine.” My eyes widened for Jessica said it calmly. If it were just the two of us, or if my guests were my other friends, she would definitely retaliate. Wow, having Taeyeon around could be fun.

 

When Jessica was out of sight, Taeyeon once again sat on the couch and faced me. “Well, you guys get along well.” She said with a bit of sarcasm in her voice, breaking the ice that was thickening by the second.

 

“Yeah, well.. We’ve known each other for a long time.” I said as if it was obvious. “and I love her.” I added for no reason at all.

 

“You didn’t tell me about her.” Taeyeon said quietly, as if shy. But something was there in the way she said it.

 

“It didn’t come up in our conversations.” I just said.

 

After another seconds of silence, I finally asked what’s on my mind. “So, what are you really doing here? And how did you even know where I lived?”

 

She stared on the ground when she answered, “I was worried. I heard you got into an accident so you can’t come to our house… so I decided to come here instead. The university gave me your address… so….” She trailed off.

 

It took me several seconds to process her answer. She was worried about me? My heart started beating wildly in my chest. The feeling I have been trying to forget for the past weeks came back just like that. I mentally scolded myself. I shouldn’t feel this way anymore. I didn’t know what to say so I just settled in saying, “I’m okay. Don’t worry.”

 

“I can see that. I bet she’s taking care of you.” Taeyeon blurted with a tone of… I don’t know… jealousy in her voice? She was staring at Jessica who was approaching us with drinks in her hand. We watched her as she placed the beverages on the table. Then she just stood there staring at Taeyeon weirdly, and Taeyeon was staring back with some fire in her eyes. The awkwardness was unbearable.

 

I couldn’t take it anymore so I tried my best to stand up. Sica saw what I was attempting to do and she came flying to my side trying to help me. I felt Jessica wrap her had around my waist which was very natural for us to do but for some reason, I felt conscious because of what Taeyeon just said and she was watching us intensely. “Please excuse us for a sec, kay?” I said as Jessica and I went towards the bedroom.

 

I know it’s not a good thing to leave a visitor all alone in the living room especially if they're a celebrity but the situation calls for it. After Jessica had shut the door in our bedroom, she suddenly turned to me. “Yah Choi Sooyoung! What kind of joke is this?? Is that really…” She said in a hushed but urgent tone.

 

I closed my eyes and sighed deeply. “Yes Sica. That is her.”

 

Jessica’s already scrunched face hardened. “What the heck is she doing here in our apartment?!”

 

“It’s a long story okay? I’ll tell you everything later.” She scoffed at me and said, “You better.”

 

“Are you mad at me?”

 

“No.” She replied all too quickly.

 

I clicked my tongue. “I know you are. I’m sorry for not telling you.”

 

She shrugged. “Just go out there and talk to her. I’ll stay here.” I nodded. Before I leave the room, I turned to her and said, “You can’t tell anyone about this okay? Please Sica?” It seemed that Jessica heard the tone of pleading in my voice so she agreed like a good friend will do.

 

“Thanks.”

 

I dragged my crutches noisily again as I emerge from our bedroom. Taeyeon was now standing, roaming around the apartment. I watched her as she stopped and stared at a picture of me and Jessica hugging which was displayed on one of the drawers.

 

It seemed that she heard the clunking of my crutches so she said without staring at me, “What is really your relationship with this girl?”

 

“I told you, she’s my best friend.” I said simply but she didn’t appear to buy it. She turned to me and she moved closer. When we were inches apart, I had the chance to carefully study her reaction, especially her eyes. They were stern but they weren’t like the ones I saw before. Something was there… and it looked like sadness.

 

“Is everything okay with Tiffany?” I asked before I could stop myself. I lowered my voice coz I feared that Jessica was listening to our conversation. Taeyeon was very private about her life so I respect that. Taeyeon looked down in response, as if embarrassed to look me in the eyes. So I asked another question. “Does she even know you’re here?”

 

She shook her head. “She doesn’t even know that I will still continue studying with you.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell her? How can she trust you if you’re like this?”

 

“She never trusts me.”

 

“What do you mean?” I asked confused. They were living in a house together, practically see each other every day and Tiffany didn’t trust her?

 

“I don’t know.” It’s that answer again. But this time, she elaborated. “She’s just like that. Right from the start. She never trusted me with anyone else. She thinks I always do something that’s suspicious or that would piss her off. I’m getting tired of it.”

 

“So why are you putting up with her?” We moved into the couch when I winced in pain because of my injury.

 

“I have to. I’m with her.” I tried not to look pissed and jealous. “And part of me knows that she’s just misunderstood.”

 

I actually didn’t know what to say. I’m supposed to be mad at her, but here she is, opening up to me suddenly, like nothing happened between us. “Maybe you’ll just have to show her that you’re not going to cheat on her. But you already did that so…”

 

“Yeah… I know.” We fell in an uncomfortable silence.

 

“I think what you should do is start by being honest to people. I know it’s not easy, being you’re a celebrity and all… Maybe find a person that you can trust yourself. That way, it’ll be easier to open up to another person, gradually.”

 

“Like you?” She asked.

 

“I don’t think you trust me. And I don’t think Tiffany trusts me either.” I glanced at the side. If Tiffany finds out that Taeyeon is here, she could murder me. And I can’t defend myself because of this stupid cast.

 

“Why do you think I don’t trust you?” Taeyeon seemed hurt with what I said so I gave her the reason.

 

“Remember the first time we met? You told me that your father is an optometrist but then we went to this party and you said you are the daughter of a CEO. So do you have like two dads or something?” Taeyeon looked bothered at the question. Her eyes wouldn’t stay in one place as if she’s thinking of an excuse. So I sighed, and said, “Don’t try to look for excuses okay?”

 

“I don’t have two dads. Sooyoung, all of that was true.” I stared at her confused. “My dad is really an optometrist. My mom's the one who’s rich.”

 

“But you told me that you wouldn’t like to inherit your father’s companies.” I argued.

 

This time she’s the one who took a deep breath. I knew she wasn’t comfortable so I said… “It’s okay if –“

 

“I hate my mother.” She said suddenly but quietly that if someone breathed at the exact moment, I wouldn’t be able to hear it. But I did.

 

“I just… I want to defend my dad’s honor. I want them to know that he’s successful and a good man.”

 

“I don’t understand. Your father is successful.” I said truthfully.

 

She laughed bitterly. “Yeah, it’s really complicated and it’s a boring and long story.”

 

“Well, I have all the time.” I said quickly. She looked at me disbelievingly as if it was the first time she heard those words from someone. So I asked, “What?”

 

“No ever took time to listen to me…”

 

I offered her a soft smile, “I’m here.” I said. She smiled gratefully at me but it didn’t reach her eyes.

 

So we spent the time talking about her past. How her mother abandoned her father because he’s just an optometrist. Her mother then married another man who her grandfather arranged for her. So her “stepdad” was the one who’s known as her father as a celebrity. But her real father was out there, working hard in his own shop.

 

It was all too much for me to take but I imagined myself in her shoes and it felt terrible that none of her friends or no one for that matter knows the truth about her.

 

“Thank you for listening to me.” She said gratefully when she finished her story. She was now closer to me coz I tried hugging her when she broke down earlier.

 

“You’re welcome.” I cooed. “I’m always here to listen.”

 

She smiled at me again but this time, she truly meant it. But her smile falters when she said, “I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?” I asked truthfully.

 

“For everything I’ve done to you.”

 

Although it’s not okay, I blurted out, “Don’t worry about it.” I mean seriously, what do you usually say in a situation like this?

 

“But you know what?” She suddenly said. Her voice lighter and happier.

 

“What?”

 

“I can’t believe you remembered everything I told you. Like from the time that we first met and…”

 

I smiled proudly. “Of course I remember. That’s what you do when someone is important to you. You listen to everything that they say, you take them all in, accept everything. Knowing that in the future, you’ll need all those information to make that person understand and realize that someone cares about them.” Did I really just say that?

 

I saw a hint of red in Taeyeon’s cheeks. She’s blushing! I made her blush!

 

She leaned in and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, and immediately electricity ran through my body faster than the speed of light. “Thank you.”

 

“Again, you’re welcome.” I tried to hide the fact that my voice hitched at her actions.

 

“I’d better go. I don’t think your friend will be too happy that she’s locked inside her bedroom all night.” She attempted to joke but I noticed the stress that she put on the word friend. I gave her an amused smile and I agreed. “It’s getting late. Do you want me to come with you?”

 

“Are you kidding? You’re injured Sooyoung. I can take care of myself. Thanks for the offer though.” She started walking towards the door and I followed her.

 

“Good night.” She said. She was staring up at me with her cute eyes that were now flashing a new emotion. She was happy again.

 

“Yeah.. Good night. Take care.” I said. She wasn’t breaking eye contact with me and I wasn’t either. It felt like both of us didn’t want to be separated with each other yet. Like we were both waiting for something that we know we both want to do but we can’t. The magic died as the door finally closed. I took a deep breath and leaned my head on the damn thing. What just happened? I just felt the urge to kiss her.

 

The night was taking its toll on me when all of a sudden, “Well, it took you guys long enough! It’s time for you to explain Choi Sooyoung.” Jessica barged in from our bedroom.

 

Uh-oh. It looks like my night isn’t over yet.

 


 


 

i'm really sorry for the late update! i'm really busy every end of the month coz of my work so i wasn't able to write.. :(

but i tried making this longer than the previous ones..

i also hope no one got disappointed...

thanks so much for all the amazing reviews!!