chapter 6

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

So i just did a whole outline for this story till the ending and omg it might reach like 30 chapters and we're only on chapter 6. like am i really doing this? And here i thought i was just going to make this one like a five part story. Well, c'est la vie. I do hope you guys will stay until the end, whether it does end up being 30 chapters or not.

Please enjoy :))

 

D-149

It wasn’t until the month after the 'deal’––as Eunbi had dubbed it (at least only to herself; probably because she and Chaeyeon never actually mentioned it ever again)––that Eunbi found out what Chaeyeon’s job actually was.

 

It’s not that she’s never asked, because Eunbi did, many times in fact. But Chaeyeon was rather… shy about it. Though, Eunbi couldn’t really imagine why she’d have to be. It’s not like Chaeyeon had something to be ashamed or embarrassed about, especially when she clearly made good money. It was evident by the clothes her wife wears, the penthouse where they live, and the two cars they each owned. Still, Eunbi didn't know how much money exactly that would be.

 

Unfortunately, with Eunbi still healing for the past month, she wasn’t able to leave their apartment often, so Chaeyeon would always (very nicely) deny Eunbi’s request to see her office. Her wife did tell her what she did though; A CEO––which made sense. But Eunbi had imagined when Chaeyeon admitted that she was a CEO, it wouldn’t be that large of a business. Probably just successful enough to live comfortably as they did.

 

Eunbi would very soon find out just how wrong she was.

 

Earlier this morning, Eunbi had gone to the hospital with Chaeyeon for a check-up with her doctor, Minju, and had been declared that her ribcage to be almost completely healed. The doctor only advised Eunbi to not strain herself but start walking a bit more, which Eunbi was very glad about, because if she had to be on ‘home arrest’ any longer she was actually gonna go insane from boredom.

 

Now cleared to leave home, Eunbi was free to go anywhere she pleased, within reason. And her first order of business was to find out where her wife’s money came from (God forbid it was something illegal by the looks of Chaeyeon’s secrecy). And Eunbi doubts a music producer like herself was their primary provider, no matter how successful she was.

 

As they were driving away from the hospital, Eunbi had asked––well, basically forced to see where Chaeyeon worked. It took a lot of whining and a very compelling puppy dog face on Eunbi’s part. It was a bit embarrassing when Eunbi thought back on it. But she didn’t bother to complain after it earned her her prize. 

 

With a defeated sigh, Chaeyeon obliged her wife’s wishes.

 

Right as they pulled up in front of the large skyscraper building in the heart of Gangnam, Eunbi finally realised that she has sorely underestimated Chaeyeon. By the time Eunbi unclipped her seatbelt, someone had already opened the door for her. For a second she almost thought it was Chaeyeon, before quickly realising that her wife also had someone assisting her to get out of the car from the other side. Eunbi took the hand of the doorman and slid out the car, following suit after Chaeyeon.

 

If Eunbi was a cartoon character, her jaw would have dropped on the floor at what was happening.

 

It didn’t take her long to notice how all of the suited doormen around them were bowing respectfully, specifically, at them, and Eunbi wanted to freeze in place after being caught off guard by the scene in front of her. Eunbi whipped her head around and looked to Chaeyeon for guidance, only to find the younger woman stretching out a hand for Eunbi to take. Which she did, and Eunbi lets her wife pull her inside the building.

 

It was almost crazy to Eunbi to imagine what kind of high ranking position her wife holds. Every corridor they walked through, and every corner they turned, everyone would quickly stand and bow at the two women. By the time they walked inside an office that had Chaeyeon’s name and title on the large double door, Eunbi was finally able to figure out just who the woman she was married to. 

 

She only waited for the doors to close behind them before questioning Chaeyeon. “You own IZ-1 Channel? As in one of the Top 3 broadcasting channels in all of Korea?”

 

“Well... that and several other companies under IZN Group.” Chaeyeon had the audacity to act all shy and innocent even after saying that. “But technically, my parents own it. I just run it.”

 

Eunbi huffs. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me who you are.”

 

“You know, that’s exactly what you said the night we met.”

 

Chaeyeon’s reply only fueled Eunbi’s curiosity even more. “And how exactly did we meet? I mean, I doubt we hung around the same circles.”

 

Eunbi watches quietly as her wife walked towards the sofa in the middle of the room. Chaeyeon patted the seat next to her, inviting her wife to sit next to her. Eunbi did, keeping only a foot apart between them. With a pointed look, Eunbi signals to Chaeyeon to answer her question before she really loses it.

 

++

 

What Eunbi didn’t know was that Chaeyeon had unwittingly started to relive that night in her head.

 

It was the company’s 50th anniversary––an important milestone in the company that her grandparents had founded. The company had rented a huge and fancy ballroom. IZN Group expanded their brand and managed many companies under them, and had relations with many more, it was only fitting to host at such a large space. The guests that arrived likely reached a hundred heads, but Chaeyeon doesn’t remember. She wasn’t the one who invited them anyway. 

 

19 year-old Chaeyeon was a long way from inheriting her father’s position in the company, even so, she was expected to attend the event. Her parents are determined to groom her through and through to be the next CEO. But until then, Chaeyeon goes to business school and shadows her father in the office and important company events like these.

 

Chaeyeon didn’t always enjoy these events. She was expected to look put together, to look professional, to talk to future colleagues and demand their respect. It was absolutely tiring. And rarely were these events ever enjoyable, much less bearable.

 

But what Chaeyeon didn’t know was that her luck was going to change tonight––the night she met the love of her life.

 

After finishing her last class on a Friday afternoon, Chaeyeon rushed home to change into a navy blue suit and put light makeup on before driving off to the 5-star hotel where her parent’s company event was held.

 

As Chaeyeon walks in and scans the ballroom to see the old business men and women exchanging fake smiles and pleasantries, she felt the need to run away. But her parents would hate that. She decided to do the next best thing than run away; alcohol. Chaeyeon grabs a glass of champagne from the nearest waiter before walking out to the balcony where most people rarely go to.

 

Expecting the balcony to be deserted of guests, Chaeye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter