chapter 29

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

so.... this chapter has mentions of ...

and its not explicit or anything so i didnt think it warrants an M rating. But, let me know though, and i'll change it if you want me to.

 

 

D+129

After the events that happened yesterday, no one could blame Eunbi for being nervous at the prospect of having to meet Chaeyeon in the latter's new apartment. Alone, at that. The memory of Chaeyeon’s lips on hers was still fresh on her mind, which is why even the idea of the two of them, speaking in private, made Eunbi’s toes curl. 

 

Eunbi couldn’t stop thinking about the moment of weakness she shared with Chaeyeon yesterday.

 

It was hard to determine just one cause for the little slip up––Maybe it was a fit of passion from being at each other’s throats? Tensions were high between them, that was for sure. Or was it the need for affection that she’s sorely missed? Eunbi hated to admit that she was feeling lonely, if only for the fact that she hasn’t talked to, much less seeked comfort from anyone else except Chaeyeon and Wonyoung recently, and that too wasn’t anywhere near enough. That much was obvious.

 

Whatever the reason was, it happened. The kiss happened. Though knowing it was a mistake, Eunbi couldn’t find it in her heart to regret it. After being so long without Chaeyeon’s lips, just a taste of it was enough to ignite something from inside her again that just wanted more.

 

She hates how Chaeyeon is the only person who could do this to her. Chaeyeon was Eunbi’s weakness. In every way possible. This is something Eunbi could conclude even without her memories; Eunbi is still in love with Chaeyeon.

 

For now, she tries not to dwell on it. Eunbi knows she has to have a clear head before seeing Chaeyeon––If only she knew how to achieve that.

 

Eunbi strides into the living room to see her daughter, lounging on the couch and watching TV.

 

Eunbi clears to make her presence known, though Wonyoung didn’t bother to acknowledge her mother except for a brief glance. She takes a tentative step closer to Wonyoung. “Your classmate’s parents emailed me––their son admitted to provoking you. But they won’t tell me what he said to you. Do you want to tell me?” 

 

Wonyoung looks almost surprised, but doesn’t respond.

 

“I won’t force you,” Eunbi says, “But it could help your case, Wonnie. I’m about to see your mother to discuss what to do with you,” adds Eunbi. 

 

Again, Wonyoung says nothing.

 

Eunbi was almost frustrated at this reaction, if only she wasn’t already used to it by now. She knows Wonyoung is still mad at her, and that was understandable. Though Eunbi thought Wonyoung had at least gotten less tight-lipped about it. They were already talking again before the incident with her schoolmate. But apparently it was very short lived. One step forward, two steps back.

 

Seeing her daughter being so unresponsive and cold, Eunbi was almost ready to just make her exit. But something inside her kept her from it. Wonyoung too must have realised how long time had passed without Eunbi leaving like she said she would. She looks at her mother with a questioning look, an eyebrow defiantly raised.

 

Eunbi sighs, and says the first thing that came to mind, “Wonnie, I really am sorry for how everything turned out.”

 

It seemed that Wonyoung hadn’t appreciated the apology. “If you were really sorry, you wouldn't have gotten a divorce!! I know mama wouldn't have wanted one, no matter what, so you did this.” 

 

Her daughter’s accusations shocked Eunbi to her core. But Eunbi was human, and it was in her nature to defend herself. “Wonnie, things happened before the accident that—“

 

Eunbi wasn’t given any chance to speak anymore as Wonyoung cut Eunbi off, “––I’m not blind, mom! I know you two had your problems before the accident; you two were distant and always fighting. Mama was at work all the time and didn’t give either of us attention. You hated that... I hated it too. The way she ignored us… I missed her all the time. But I know she didn’t do it to hurt us.”

 

Eunbi wanted to say something, wanted to protest. Eunbi might have not remembered the details but she knew that the experience would have been different for them; the kind of attention Wonyoung wanted from a parent was not the same as the one Eunbi wanted from her partner. And for it to get as bad as Eunbi asking for a divorce in the first place—

 

In the back of her head, a whisper reminds Eunbi about how much she wishes Chaeyeon didn’t lie to her about any of this. And maybe things would have gone differently.

 

Eunbi also wished Wonyoung could understand her point of view. Eunbi wanted to make Wonyoung understand, but all manner of words had escaped her. Likely because this was the longest conversation she’s had with her daughter in a while. It wasn’t a very good one, Eunbi admits—it hurt her actually. And although she wanted to say her own piece, Eunbi knew she had to give Wonyoung this chance to let everything out now, lest her daughter take on another vow of silence.

 

Wonyoung continues and Eunbi listens, “After the accident, suddenly everything changed. You both started acting like when I was younger again; like stupid teenagers completely in love. I liked it that way, so I didn’t want to ruin it by asking questions...I just wanted us to be happy like that.” Wonyoung shakes her head. “I don’t understand how you suddenly came to the conclusion that it’s better for us to stop being a family.”

 

Eunbi’s heart ached. “We’ll always be a family, Wonnie.”

 

“A broken one!!” Wonyoung snaps.

 

Although it hurt Eunbi to hear it, she couldn’t exactly deny it either. Eunbi hadn’t wanted this to happen. Any of it. Never in Eunbi’s imagination could she ever think about severing her relationship with Wonyoung as badly as this. She also didn’t want to ruin the good thing she had with Chaeyeon either.

 

But it happened anyway.

 

The divorce seemed like a good idea at the time, and it still was in some ways, even now. But Eunbi didn’t realize how badly she had damaged this family, maybe even beyond repair. Though how naive could Eunbi have been to think a divorce would lead to a better outcome?

 

The doubt seeps in again and now perhaps Eunbi is more willing to admit that maybe she shouldn’t have been so hasty in her decisions. For the first time since she signed the papers, the guilt that Eunbi felt, as she always did, was accompanied by deep regret.

 

Well, there goes having a clear head before seeing her ex-wife.

 

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

 

“Why are you being so difficult?” Eunbi could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter