chapter 16

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

As always, thank you for commenting, subscribing and upvoting,,,, you guys are the best!! 

Please enjoy :))

 

D-95

Their original plan was to go home today, however, last night they collectively decided to extend the vacation for another day. There wasn’t an exact reason why, but something about being near family during the holiday season just felt right.

 

Eunbi wasn’t even all that bothered by what happened yesterday anymore. Although, it might have something to do with Chaeyeon distracting her from retreating to her thoughts and overthinking all the time.

 

The moment their hands touched and their eyes locked, Eunbi just couldn’t seem to worry about anything else but the present. Her sister-in-law had mentioned how Eunbi kept Chaeyeon grounded, but Eunbi thinks it was the other way around. Eunbi couldn’t imagine what would have happened to her, if she had made a different decision after waking up that day at the hospital. Eunbi didn’t know it then, but she would’ve lost the most thoughtful and comforting figure she’s ever had in her life, and a family that was so incredibly precious and loving.

 

Eunbi shudders at the thought of losing this, and decides she’d rather not worry about this for now.

 

Eunbi lay on her side, on the bed that she was sharing with Chaeyeon. It was only a few minutes ago that she woke up because of the bright sun rays coming in through the window. She thought to sleep again when she took notice of how adorable her wife looked while sleeping. There really was something about this vacation that was magical, because Eunbi doesn’t think she’d ever seen Chaeyeon look so completely at peace (not that she’s seen Chaeyeon sleeping more than a few times to compare this to). Either way, there was no single stress line on Chaeyeon’s forehead, her jaw was unclenched, and she was snoring softly.

 

Nothing could ruin this moment.

 

Except maybe for a morning alarm.

 

The same annoying ringtone that woke Eunbi up most days had started to play loudly, only it came from Chaeyeon’s phone instead of her own. Eunbi watches her wife start to stir awake, a hand shot up trying to feel around for the latter’s phone which sat on the nightstand.

 

It was an impressive feat for Eunbi to witness the way Chaeyeon twisted her body and rolled around the bed, then finally managing to turn off her alarm, but without once opening her eyes. When the offending sound had stopped ringing, Chaeyeon turned away from the brightness coming through the window, causing her to face Eunbi’s direction with her eyes still forcefully shut.

 

Eunbi couldn’t hold back the giggle that escaped her lips. The sight of Chaeyeon huffing like a child, not wanting to wake up, was too adorable for Eunbi to handle.

 

Chaeyeon peeked her eyes open at the sound. Immediately, she notices Eunbi, who was staring at her. “Were you just watching me?” asks Chaeyeon, her voice rough from sleep.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“That’s—” Chaeyeon stops mid-sentence, trying to stifle a yawn but didn’t manage to succeed, “––a bit creepy.”

 

Eunbi chuckles in reply. “Is it?”

 

Chaeyeon shrugs. Eunbi watched as her wife closed her eyes again, breathing in and out evenly for a few minutes. Eunbi almost thought Chaeyeon had fallen back asleep. Then, Chaeyeon’s eyes opened, this time she looked much more awake than before. 

 

“I’m going to go for a hike,” Chaeyeon announced as she climbed out of bed. Before Chaeyeon could offer, Eunbi had already spoken. “Would you mind if I come with you?” Oddly enough, it was almost like a knee jerk reaction for Eunbi to ask this. Like some part of her just wasn’t ready to part with her wife. She decided for now, she won’t question this feeling.

 

“Of course not. I love your company,” Chaeyeon says, pleased. “I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

 

–––––––––––––––––––––

 

Eunbi was very glad that the hiking trail wasn’t too strenuous. She wasn’t exactly itching for a challenging activity so early in the morning. Honestly, Eunbi just came along because she wanted to spend some more time with Chaeyeon… alone. So if she had to sacrifice her sleep to hike, then so be it.

 

Eunbi has to admit that it felt nice. The air she breathed was fresh, the sun was warm against her face, and the chirping of the birds was calming and almost therapeutic.

 

Suddenly, a gust of strong wind blew at them and Eunbi lost her balance. She steps backwards, trying to keep her footing, only to slip on a fallen branch. A yelp sounded, one that likely came from herself. She fell backwards, and her hands flailed about to break her fall.

 

Eunbi expected to have her back meet the hard ground with a thud, but instead, strong arms took her by the waist. It almost reminded Eunbi of being dipped in a partnered dance.

 

When Eunbi finally came to her senses, she looked up to see the face of her wife, looking down at her. Eunbi didn't know who was more surprised between the two of them, but Chaeyeon’s wide eyes held more worry than shock. Worry and… something else.

 

Eunbi could've sworn she saw Chaeyeon’s eyes drop to her lips. But it must have happened so fast––or not at all––because their gaze was locked again after she had blinked.

 

“I lost my footing,” Eunbi says the obvious.

 

“You did,” Chaeyeon confirms. She then helps Eunbi stand again. But once Eunbi was standing once more, Chaeyeon still didn’t let go of Eunbi’s hand. It had even stayed that way as they continued down the hiking trail––their hands still entwined, securely, warmly.

 

Eunbi didn’t mind it at all. There was something almost perfect about the moment. Eunbi doesn’t know if it was the hike itself or the person she’s with.

 

An hour later, they were already heading down the trail, going back to the lodge. Even now, they were still holding hands.

 

Eunbi had already sensed that Chaeyeon was about to speak by the slight squeeze of her hand. “How are you?” Chaeyeon asked. She then cringed, as if she regretted the question. “I mean––Being here, with my family… Is this too much?”

 

Eunbi thought to think over the question, but found herself easily answering, “It’s been good, actually.”

 

Chaeyeon’s eyes widened in gleeful surprise. “Yeah?” 

 

It was good. Even with the small incident that occurred yesterday because of what she overheard, it didn’t put so much of a damp in the impression of Chaeyeon’s family. Eunbi genuinely liked them, talking to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter