The Distance In Between

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 29

The Distance in Between

"No! No! Please let me go!" Ruyi cried desperately as she tries to break free from the hands that was grabbing tightly onto her.

"Tie her up! This little b***h dare to scratch me!" the brothel owner yell out as she dabs gently at the scratch on her hand. Ruyi accidentally scratched her when she was struggling to escape earlier. "You should know that any girl sold into my brothel will not be able to escape," the brothel owner grabs Ruyi's chin harshly and made her look straight at her, "You will spend the rest of your life here serving me and the men that pays for you. Unless your pretty little face can bewitch a wealthy man into buying you and pay me back for the money I bought you with, then don't even think of disobeying me!" She slaps Ruyi in revenge for scratching her hand.

Ruyi continues to struggle against the two men that was holding onto her as a brothel's waiter rush into the room and whisper to the owner. She waves him out then turn to look Ruyi up and down. She smiles and said, "Get her ready, Old Master Jin is here. He's always looking for new girls. I'm sure he'll enjoy her." She then left the room, ignoring Ruyi's desperate cries and pleads.

The two men knocked Ruyi unconscious then handed her over to other women in the brothel. They bathe her and dress her up. After making sure that she's presentable they tie her back up and gag her. The two men carry her into a luxurious looking room and places her on the bed. When Ruyi finally regain her consciousness, she opens her eyes to face an old man staring down at her. She screamed through her gag and he just laugh, "Now now beautiful, don't scream so hard just yet. You'll hurt your throat too soon."

Ruyi tries to swarm away but the old man keeps advancing onto the bed. She cries when she hit the wall and have nowhere else to run to. Upon seeing tears falling from her eyes, the drunk old man stops his advances. "Are the ropes hurting you? Here let me help you take them off then we'll have some good fun."

She was very scare but knew that this was her chance so she nodded and let him reaches out to her. Her eyes shut tightly as she tries to bear the disgusted feeling of his hand brushing over her skin as he unties her. As soon as the ropes loosen, Ruyi headbutt the man and flee off the bed. Although in pain, the old man still reaches out and caught her sleeves. Ruyi yank free which result in the sleeves tearing from her dress. She grabs whatever was within reach and threw it at the old man. He yells out in pain and curses at her. He tries to get off the bed and catches her, but Ruyi was quicker and jump out of the window after throwing more things at him. She can hear him calling out for the brothel's guards to catch her as she falls. Lucky for her, she landed on a small straw hut right below the window. The roof of the hut gave way and collapse under her weight and momentum. She sustains injuries but her survival instinct didn't let her feel the pain. She quickly gets to her feet and run as fast as she could.

She can hear the brothel's guards chasing after her. After a few minutes she quickly turn into a small alley way and hid behind a pile of trash. She waited until the brothel's guards go past the alley way then sneak out and run off in a different direction. She continues to run desperately, even when she was running out of breath she didn't stop. She will herself to keep going even though she doesn't know where she should run to.

As her vision became blurry from lack of oxygen, she bumps into someone. The person reaches out to steady her, but her fear of being capture made her fought back and pushes the person away. She fell on the ground and keeps scrambling away from the person as she tries to clear her vision.

Seeing her state, the person stops their advances and call out to her from where they stand "Ruyi? Ruyi? What's wrong? Are you ok? It's me Meiyin."

Upon hearing the familiar name, Ruyi stops moving. She takes in many deep breaths and tries to clear her vision. When she can finally see clearly again, she looks up to see Meiyin and Yueyin standing not too far from her. They were looking at her with concern, wanting to rush to her side but wasn't sure if they should.

"Mei… Meiyin… Help…" she called out to them between breaths.

The Zhang sisters quickly rushes over to her. "Ruyi, what happened? How did you turn out like this?" Meiyin asks. Yueyin open the water bottle that one of their houseworkers just handed to her. She gave Ruyi the bottle and encourage her to drink. After she down the water, they help her to stand up slowly. Seeing Ruyi's ripped up dress, Yueyin quickly took off her cloak and wrap it around Ruyi. Yueyin look towards Meiyin signaling for her to not ask anymore questions for now. Meiyin understood and nodded. One on each side, they help Ruyi over to the cart that was used to hold supplies for the shelter.

The Zhang sisters were on their way home after delivering some more supplies to the shelter. They had been away from the city for a few days, visiting a temple with Madame Lin. They've only just returned and was excited to deliver all the goods that they bought for the children at the shelter. So, they accompany the houseworkers to deliver the supplies to the shelter. They didn't expect to run into Ruyi so late at night on their way home.

They were about to help Ruyi up onto the cart when the brothel's guards caught up to them. "Hand that girl over to us!" they demanded.

Upon seeing them, Ruyi eyes widen in fear and immediately hid behind Meiyin. All the houseworkers rush forward and block in front of the three girls. "We are from an official's household. State your business clearly or we'll report you to the city's court," one of the houseworker spoke up.

"We are guards from the Spring's Dream brothel. That girl is our brothel's property. She dared to escape so we must take her back," one of the guards explained.

When they heard the word brothel, both the Zhang sisters' eyes widen in shock. They were only gone for a few days, how did Ruyi ended up in a brothel?!

The houseworker that spoke up look back towards the Zhang sisters for instructions. With the way the two of them reacted earlier, he could guess the young lady in question was a friend of theirs. He would gladly stand up for the young lady on behalf of his two young misses, but it's not a decision he can make on his own. He knows the rules of the brothels. Once a girl is sold to them, she is their property. Paperwork of ownership is done when the money is handed over. They can't just take her from them by force because legally she still belongs to the brothel. Buying her back from them is the only option. However, the brothels would always jack up the price to a ridiculous amount for profit. That kind of money decision, he doesn't have the right to. He thought that perhaps his two young misses were too young to understand the way brothels work, and was about to explain to them.

However, Yueyin spoke up first "How much?" Both the houseworker and the brothel's guards were surprised. "I'm asking you, how much is her price value? We will buy her from your brothel," Yueyin said.

The brothel's guards look at each other, wondering what they should do. They were expecting a fight but didn't think these people would try to properly pay for the girl. One of them step forward, "Only the owner can make a decision on her price value. If you want to buy her, you will have to come by the brothel tomorrow to meet with the owner."

Ruyi shakes and whimper in fear behind Meiyin when she hears that she might have to go back to the brothel tonight. Since she was standing next to them, Yueyin can also feel Ruyi's shaking. "We will be taking her with us now. I will send someone to your brothel tomorrow to meet with the owner and pay," Yueyin told them.

"That's not an option. We cannot let you take the merchandise before paying. Hand her over to us now." The brothel's guards raise their swords, getting ready for a fight.

Meiyin wraps a protective arm around Ruyi, also getting ready for the fight. Their houseworkers were also about to draw their swords when Yueyin spoke up again, "Don't create unnecessary troubles. Here, take this jade bracelet as insurance. Its price should at least be half if not more than what your owner could possibly want for this girl. I will send someone tomorrow to meet with your owner. If by the end of tomorrow, you still have not seen anyone then you can come straight to Official Zhang's residence to demand for payments." She takes off her jade bracelet and handed it to a houseworker to give it to the brothel's guards.

The brothel's guard were hesitant, but after taking a good look at the jade bracelet and understanding its value, he agrees to the terms and left with the other guards. Meiyin send one of the houseworkers to run ahead and return to the resident first. She instructed him to inform Madame Lin and have her prepare a guest room for Ruyi. The Zhang sisters then helped Ruyi onto the cart and they all headed back to the residence.

Once they arrived, Madame Lin and Xiaolan took over. They escorted Ruyi away and help the poor girl change out of her ripped up colorful dress. Madame Lin help Ruyi patch up as most of her wounds as she could. "This is the best I can do. Once the sun rises, we will send for a physician to give you a better diagnostic," Madame Lin said as she finishes wrapping up Ruyi's injured foot.

Xiaolan handed Ruyi a small bowl of hot soup and told her to drink it slowly. The soup will hopefully help calm her down some more. After they all see that the poor girl has stop shaking, Meiyin made to sit beside her on the bed. Meiyin asks Ruyi if she was comfortable to let them know what happened.

Ruyi nodded and slowly said, "A few days after the thugs incident at the restaurant… they came back with more people. No one was willing to stand up for us…" she started tearing up, "…we even agreed to pay them with all the money we had… but they weren't satisfied. They beat up and killed the owners…" now she was fully crying.

Meiyin pull her in for a hug and patted her back gently until she calms down enough to continue. "They burned down the restaurant then left, taking me with them. I didn't know what they were going to do to me. I was so scared…" she catches her breath between each sniffle, "… they… they sold me to the brothel. I struggled and struggled but I couldn't escape from their grasp. The next time I came to, there was an old man… and… and he was looking down at me… and…" she was getting hysterical now.

Meiyin couldn't stand it anymore so she told Ruyi to stop, "Shhh… it's ok. You don't have to say anymore. We understand now." She helps lay Ruyi down on the bed and tuck her in, "Do your best to get some sleep in. We'll be here if you need us."

Seeing the way Meiyin immediately left the room, Yueyin got worried. She thanked Madame Lin then asked Xiaolan to keep an eye on Ruyi. She follows after her sister. Outside in the guest's courtyard, she saw Meiyin standing there crying with her fist clenches tightly. Yueyin walk over and wraps her arms around her sister. She didn't say anything and just let Meiyin cry it out.

"It's all my fault…"

Yueyin shook her head and hug her sister tighter, "No, it isn't your fault."

Meiyin break away from the hug and pushes her sister away, "No, you don't understand. If I hadn't engaged in a fight with those thugs, this wouldn't have happened. I'm always so reckless! I'm always causing trouble for others!"

"Meiyin, don't think like that. If you hadn't stood up for them that time. Those thugs would keep coming back to bully them. They would have continued to suffer because no one else would have the courage to stand up for them."

"At least… they wouldn't be dead like they are now…and Ruyi…"

Yueyin knows that Meiyin will continue to blame herself no matter what she says to her. The best thing now is to give her time to think it through on her own. She pulls out her handkerchief and gently wipe the tears away from Meiyin's face, "Don't cry anymore. You wouldn't want Ruyi seeing you like this right? She needs you to be strong and support her now more than ever. If you can't sleep tonight, why don't you help Xiaolan take care of Ruyi? I'll go and prepare the payment for the brothel."

Meiyin nodded and slowly make her way back into Ruyi's room. Before opening the door, she turns back and ask Yueyin "Jie, can we let Ruyi stay with us?"

Yueyin replied, "Yes, I'll have it arrange."

After Meiyin enter and closes the door, Yueyin left to instruct a houseworker to bring the payments to the brothel in the morning and recalculate the residence's finance for the month. She also plans to report this to her father so he can speak with Judge Wei. There's not much information on those thugs but to commit murder and burning down a restaurant within the city walls, they must be from one of the large organizations.

---

The funeral held for his father and mother was nearing its end. Although his mother was a favored concubine and was allowed to be bury next to the king, but Sehun remembered what he heard and decided for her to be bury in a separate area. After the funeral, Sehun launches an investigation. He found out that his mother has been gaining power and accumulating private wealth over the years. She uses that wealth to bribe several of his father's subjects into suggesting bad decisions during critical situations for the kingdom for many years. She had been planning and waiting for a good time to murder the king. Since Sehun was task by the king to keep watch over the royal guards, she wasn't able to act on her plan. However, lady luck smile upon her when Jongin drags Sehun along on the trip to China. With his absence, she bribed and convinced the royal guards to slowly change their shifts in an unnoticeable way that gave her the best opportunity to assassinate the king.

Sehun also found out more details on the history of his parents. It seems that his mother and her childhood friend were in love with each other. They planned to marry and build a life together but then his father came into the picture. His father fell in love with his mother and used his authority to have his mother's childhood friend killed. His mother was devastated and was forced into marriage with his father. His father didn't bring her back to the palace right away but instead had her live in a different city. This must be due to his father's fear of Jongin's mother's jealousy. It was only until Sehun was five years old that his father escorted them to the palace. Sehun rubs his face tiredly after reading the reports. He was disappointed with both of his parents and couldn't bring himself to understand and accept what both of them did.

Due to the strength of the poison, Jongin remained unconscious for several days as his body work with the antidote to counter the poison. Sehun hadn't visit him once during that time. He used the funeral and the investigation as an excuse, but he knows he can't avoid facing Jongin forever.

In a couple days it will be his coronation. He still doesn't want to face Jongin but the matter of Jongin's mother can't be left untouched. Sehun went to Jongin's palace while fully knowing his brother hasn't woken up yet. He knows it's cowardly of him but he told himself that if Jongin still doesn't wake up by the time he leaves, then he'll just send someone else to meet with Jongin later.

He enters Jongin's room and instructed the maids and guards to leave. He stares at Jongin for a few minutes and let out a sigh of relief because the man's even breathing indicates he's still in a deep sleep. He was about to turn around to leave but hesitated and decided to wait for a bit longer. He walks over to the window and pushes it open. He stood there and stare out of it. About ten minutes later, he can hear stirs from the bed and knew that Jongin has woken up. Just his luck. Now he can't escape. Sehun didn't turn around though, he continues to stare out of the window.

Jongin woke up and slowly let his eyes adjust to the light. He tried getting up but the sharp pain on his chest made him decided to lay back down. He looks around and recognized that this was his room. His eyes wander around the room and finally landed on the figure standing by the window. He recognized that it was Sehun, but he remembered what happened and decided to remain silence. He doesn't know what to say or how to open a conversation with Sehun after what happened.

The two brothers just stay silent and staring into space. After what felt like hours later, Jongin can't stand it anymore and break the silence, "Is Father…"

"The funeral for Father and… my Mother has been completed," Sehun replied without turning around.

Silence once again engulf the room as Jongin absorbs the news. A few minutes later, Jongin open his mouth, wanting to ask about his mother, but decided not to. Sehun spoke up again as if he read Jongin's mind, "In a few days it'll be my coronation. Although she's the Queen… but for the crime of murdering a Concubine, attempted murder of the Crown Prince and injuring the First Prince… I cannot let it go…"

After Sehun trailed off, Jongin turns his head to look at his brother's figure. He let out a sigh and attempted to sit up. Hearing his grunts of pain, Sehun instinctively wanted to go over and help him. However, he didn't. He clenches his fist tightly and stay put by the window. Minutes later, Jongin finally manage to get up and lean his back against the headboard. He even out his breathing before attempting to talk again.

"When I was a child, being the first and only prince of the kingdom was a very lonely experience. They were overprotective of me and kept me from getting too close to anyone. Due to that, the other children my age were reluctant from befriending me. It was only until you came to the palace that I find joy in being the first prince. I was overjoyed at being the elder brother. Your cold character made it so much fun to tease you. I didn't need any other friends, having a little brother was enough…" Jongin paused then continue, "Sehun, what I'm trying to say is… it doesn't matter what happened, you'll always be my little brother. I do wish things weren't the way they were, but you are the King now. You should do what you must do. I am your subject, you don't have to seek my permission for anything."

Sehun didn't say anything until a couple minutes later, "Due to the circumstances of the incident, she can be exempt from being branded as a criminal. She can have her funeral as a Queen and be bury next to Father."

"Thank you."

Sehun shook his head. It should be him thanking Jongin but he can't seem to express it. "Was it wise of you to save me?" he asks. If Jongin hadn't saved him, Jongin could be the next king and exempt his own mother from her crime.

"I was never known as the wise one. Also, I never regret what I do."

Both of them knew, what happened with their parents has affected them more than they showed. The two of them is having a hard time facing each other. Although Sehun knows it's his mother's fault, but he can't bring himself to let go of the fact that Jongin's mother killed his mother. He is feeling both grateful and guilty towards Jongin.

Jongin also feel the guilt for what his mother did. He understands that she's in the wrong even if it was a result of being forced into insanity by witnessing the love of her life killed. But he knows, that her death will be the first needed step for a newly crowned king like Sehun in this unexpected situation. Even if Sehun had the heart to let her go, the officials and nobles will force his hands until he succumbs under their influence and become a puppet ruler. However, to say he doesn't care at all about the fact that she'll be executed is not true. Their parents' death has increased the distance between them that Jongin had worked so hard to shorten before. He is tired now. He doesn't have the energy left to work on that distance again. Perhaps it's best to leave it up to time.

Days later, Sehun's coronation went on as planned. He is now officially the new King of Korea. His first order as king was the execution of Jongin's mother.

---

Author's Notes:

Double Update! Read the previous chapter if you haven't already done so :)