The Birthday Requests

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 2

The Birthday Requests

Imperial Palace:

“Help! Help me!” the loud cry for help from a young girl was heard from the east side of the palace garden. In a short moment, many guards and maids came running from every direction to gather at where the little girl’s cry for help came from.

Everyone was surrounding the tree that the little girl was clinging to, trying to find a way to get her down and at the same time making sure that she wasn’t hurt in any way. That’s when two little boys who were a bit older than the girl break through the crowd and came up close to the tree.

“FeiFei! What are you doing?” the younger of the two boys shouted

“Why are you up there?” the other one also shouted up to the girl

“Xing ge, Fan ge help me” the little girl cry while still clinging to the tree branch “Lu ge tricked me into climbing up here and then he jumps off and left me”

At that moment, another little boy walks through the crowd towards the other two boys while carrying a basket full of fruits and snacks “Xiao Fei, how could you say that? Your Lu ge would never trick you,” he reaches into the basket and took out a peach to show the girl “Look, I went to get your favorite fruit, so we can enjoy it together on the tree. I didn’t trick and left you.”

The oldest of the three boys reaches out and give the boy with the peach a light smack on the head “How could you left her alone up there? Do you know how mad Royal Father would be if she had gotten hurt?”

The little boy smiles guiltily as he reaches up to rub the spot where he was smacked, but before he could open his mouth to say something the youngest of the three spoke up “Er ge, how could you plan on sharing those delicious peaches with only FeiFei?”

San di, is now really the time for that?” the oldest let out a sigh as Luhan look away guiltily.

“AH!” while the three boys bicker among themselves the girl slipped from the tree branch and is falling towards the hard ground. Immediately, all three boys dive forward to catch her but end up becoming her cushion as she fell on them.

The maids and guards rush forward to help the four children up. At that moment a voice booms out behind the crowd “What’s going on here?”

Immediately, all the maids and guards went on their knees and bow to the owner of the voice “greetings your majesty”. The four children also bow to the figure, “Greetings Royal Father”

“Yifan, Luhan, Yixing, and also Liufei? What are you all doing here?” the man asks. However, no one dare to say anything and instead just bow deeper. “Well?!” the man asks again, louder this time which startle everyone. Finally, a guard step forward and explain to him what happened. After hearing what had happened, he glared over at the four children, “is this what the Princes and Princess of this kingdom should be doing?!” he glowered at them. He then pointed to Yifan “what of your duty as the Crown Prince?” he then pointed over to Luhan and Yixing “and what of your studies and duty as Princes?” and finally he points over at Liufei “and your duty as the Princess? Should a proper lady be climbing trees instead of honing her woman virtues?”

He was about to continue but a soft voice cut in “Taizao”

The man looks over to the beautiful woman approaching them, “Yinhua, why are you out here?” he quickly came over to help lead her to where he was previously standing. “I’ve been in bed a few days now, I wanted to get some fresh air” she smiles and said to him as she took his hand and walk with him. Upon seeing the four children still bowing, she turn to the man and said “that’s enough already Taizao, don’t be too strict on them” “but…” he was about to speak “they are still children, still too young to carry on the burden” she cut in again “you are emperor, you can be strict and expect much from them but you are still a father, you cannot treat them like soldiers my dear”

Emperor Taizao look at his kind wife and let out a sigh “alright, everyone get up” the maids and guards got off their knees as the four children look up to their smiling queen. “are you all alright?” she asks as she came over to them and look them over for injuries.

“We’re alright Royal Mother” Luhan said “how are you feeling today?” he asks full of worries.

“I’m alright now, don’t worry too much” she pat Luhan’s head gently, “let’s go enjoy some chrysanthemum cake, I’ve asked chef Luong to make some earlier” she said and took all of the four children’s hands and lead them towards the table where they’ll have a perfect view of the garden. The emperor looks at his happy children and wife, shook his head then smile and walk slowly behind them to join them for afternoon dessert.

As they sat down, one guard came running and bow to the royal family “Greetings your Majesties and Royal Highnesses”

“What is it?” Taizao ask the guard

“I’ve sent the invitation for afternoon tea to Consort Zhou as the Empress instructed, however, Consort Zhou had said that she does not feel well and would like to apologize, she said she’ll make it up to the Empress when she’s better.” The guard reported.

“I see. Very well you may go now” Yinhua said to the guard, then she turns to Taizao “shouldn’t you go pay Consort Zhou a visit Taizao? She’s not feeling well, she’ll want you by her side”

He looks at Yinhua lovingly “How about you?”

She smiles at him “I’m alright now, I’ll wait for you to come back”

“Very well, I’ll be back soon” he said as he stood up and walk away from her and his children.

A few hours later, Yifan left to attend his lessons and Yixing fell asleep on the bench. As evening approaches, only Luhan and Liufei were left with Yinhua. They were still waiting for the emperor to come back. Liufei turn to her mother and ask “Royal Mother, why hasn’t Royal Father come back yet? We’ve been waiting for quite some time already.”

“What if he doesn’t come back?” Luhan ask

Yinhua smile and said, “Then I will continue to wait for him” and before Liufei could protest she continue “that is the duty of women as wives, especially for women in the imperial palace. All they can do is to wait obediently. No woman could ever hope to be the sole owner of one man’s heart. That is the natural social order and expectations, no one is in the wrong. Do you understand?”

Liufei pouted but nodded. Luhan on the other hand does not agree “I will not be that way, wrong or not, I will love solely one woman and will never make her wait” Luhan promised to himself that he would not let the one he love to ever suffer the same fate as his mother. Yinhua smile gently at Luhan and cup his face lovingly “If you could do that Luhan ah, then you have done a very good thing. Whoever your future wife is, she’ll be the luckiest and happiest woman.”

Liufei happily claps for Luhan’s determined declaration. Which he rewarded her with another peach from the basket.  

*Bang!*

The sudden sound startle Liufei awake. She sat up in her bed and look to find the source of the sound.

“Please forgive me Princess!” the maid that had just enter her room knelt on the floor begging for forgiveness. Turns out it was just the maid accidentally closing the door too loud.

“It’s alright, you can get up now” Liufei sigh, “bring me some water to wash my face.” As soon as she gives out the order, the maid bow to her and rush out the door.

Liufei think back to the dream she just had and smiles, what a sweet memory it was. But her smile falters a bit as a bittersweet feeling settles in. She let out another sigh as she remembers that those happy times will never return. It’s been many years since then, they have all mature. After the passing of Empress Yinhua, over the years everyone seems to have change. Her brothers no longer call each other in such endearing ways. No one smiles as widely as before. Now it’s all just formalities and forced smiles.

The maid returns with the water and set it down on the stand by Liufei's bedside. As she washes her face and freshen up for the morning, two more maids enter her room. The three of them proceed to help her get dress and do her hair. An eunuch knock on the door and let them know that he has her breakfast ready, and whenever she’s done he can bring it in. After the maids finishes putting on the last flower hairpin in her hair, one of them let the eunuch bring in the breakfast. He enters the room and bow to Liufei before heading to the table in the middle of the room and set up the food. He bows to her again before leaving.

Liufei sits down at the table and picks up the chopsticks. She looks at her breakfast but doesn’t really have any appetite. She let out a sigh as she drops her chopsticks and decide to munch on the apple slices instead of the hot breakfast entrée.

“Where are my royal brothers right now?” She asks

One of the maids that was standing behind her reply, “The Crown Prince is with the Emperor, the Second Prince and Third Prince is by the lake at the west side of the main garden.”

Liufei nodded to herself after hearing the maid’s reply. She thinks over her options and decide that Yifan is probably going to be stuck with the emperor for most of today. Luhan and Yixing should have some time for her. She got up and head out the door with two maids following behind her.

The imperial palace includes the outer court and the inner court. The outer court has three buildings in which the emperor uses to conduct the daily court meetings and other state affairs with his officials. The inner court makes up the rest of the palace and it’s where the emperor and the royal family resides. The imperial palace is divided up into ninety palaces and courtyards. The emperor, empress, concubines, princes, and princesses each have their own palace. Within each of these palaces includes the main room of its owner and several other living quarters to house maids, eunuchs and possible guests. They also each have their own courtyards or gardens, storage room and small kitchen. The main kitchen, physicians quarters/building, national storage, and other necessary buildings are also within the inner palace. The large main imperial garden is in the center of the inner court. It has a large man-made lake and several pavilions spread around.

Liufei’s palace is one of the closer ones to the main garden. So it didn’t take her very long to reach her destination. As she approaches the lake, Liufei can hear sounds of swords clashing against each other. Once the lake came into view, she can see her two royal brothers practicing their swordsmanship with each other. She smiles mischievously then pick up two small rock by a tree she was standing next to. She motions for the two maids to keep quiet, then she sneaks a bit closer but not enough to give herself away. She aimed, then throw the rocks at her brothers. She watches as they were caught off guard and halted their practice. They both look towards the direction the rocks came from with surprised faces, not expecting anyone daring enough to do such a thing towards two princes of the empire, especially within the imperial palace. Before they could call out the culprit hiding in the shadows of the tree, they can hear Liufei’s laugh. The two of them let out a sigh as Liufei make her way towards them.

“My dear Princess, do you have nothing better to do than bothering your siblings?” Luhan said.

“My dear royal brothers, do you have nothing better to do other than martial arts practice?” she replies

“Martial arts practice is important, Feifei.” Yixing said as he takes Luhan’s sword and hands both his and Luhan’s over to one of the guards.

“Greetings Your Highnesses” The two maids got on their knees and bow to the two boys.

Luhan nodded at their greetings and motion for them to stand, “Third Royal Brother, our First Princess doesn’t even think much of her princess studies, what makes you think she’ll understand our’s?”

Liufei glares at him. This meanie is her second eldest brother, whom sometimes makes her wish she wasn’t related to. She was right to make Yixing her favorite brother. Yixing compares to Luhan, is gentler and kinder towards her. Although the three of them are not from the same mother, but these two brothers of hers are the closest to her. Her eldest brother, Yifan, used to also be close with them, but ever since he became old enough to shoulder more heavy Crown Prince duties, he had grown more distant.

“My amazing Xing ge is already wen wu shuang quan, he does not need the extra practice,” Liufei smiles proudly at Yixing then looks over at Luhan in challenge, “unlike you my dear Second Royal Brother.”

Yixing smiles and pet Liufei’s head gently, “Feifei, don’t get Second Royal Brother rile up in the morning.” If she was a cat, she would have purr like one. Liufei likes it when Yixing pets her head, just like when her brothers calls her by their version of her name. It makes her feel like the well-loved and spoiled younger sister that she is.

“Since she has already shown clear favoritism, Third Royal Brother can go and fulfill the Princess’ wishes,” Luhan smirks “whatever it is she’s up to, I don’t have to be involve.” He turns around and pretends to walk away.

“If you forget what today is, I won’t talk to you ever again!” Liufei said before Luhan could take his third step away from them.

Luhan stops and smiles to himself. Forget? How could he? They only got one sister after all. He turns around and looks at her questioningly “What’s today? Is it special?” he asks, clearly playing dumb, “I only remember it being the eve of a very biased sister’s birthday”

Liufei kicks Luhan’s shin, “Ouch! Biased and abusive!”

Yixing shakes his head at his siblings. Every year on this day, he and his two elder brothers would give Liufei birthday gifts before her official birthday the next day. This is because on the exact day of the royal prince’s or princess’ birthday, it’s very tasteless with some sort of boring ceremony and a busy day of accepting and thanking gifts and greetings from all the court officials, their wives, and other royal consorts. Thankfully their royal father does not have too many consorts, so it saves them a small portion of the busy day to breath.

“What would you like for your birthday this year Feifei?” Yixing asks

“Third Royal Brother, I thought we agreed on just giving her some jewelry and be done with it this year” Luhan says. Liufei threatens to kick him again and he playfully dodge.

“Rather than materialistic gifts, I have two requests”

“What are they? Let’s hear it” Luhan asks

“This morning I had a dream…of a distant memory” she looks down at her feet, “I know it’s important to use the appropriate formalities even towards each other in the imperial palace…” She pauses and Yixing pets her head again to encourage her. “But I…I really misses the way we used to be so close to each other and calling each other with more familiar terms.”

“We are close…are we not?” Luhan asks hesitatingly

“Not like before, you don’t even call me XiaoFei that much anymore and the three of you don’t refer to each other as closely like before too” She pouted, “I know things have change…but…it’s just that…”

“Alright” Yixing says

Liufei immediately looks towards him, “Xing ge?” She didn’t think he would agree so easily. Close as they could be, but it’s a known fact that all Royal Princes are practically competing against each other for the Emperor’s attention and favoritism. Their mothers, the Consorts, also doesn’t get along and forces their children to be at odds with each other.

“If that’s what you wish for Feifei,” Yixing looks towards Luhan, “We can do at least that can’t we Er ge?”

“Hmm…I don’t know,” Luhan rubs his chin in a thinking motion, “let me think about it since XiaoFei is so biased towards you San di.”

Liufei laughs happily and kick Luhan’s shin again. “Ouch!” Luhan cries out.

“Thank you Xing ge!”

“Where’s my thanks?” Luhan asks rubbing his leg

“Thank you too Lu ge!”

“What’s your second request Feifei?” Yixing asks

“I want to go out there”

“Out there…as in…”

“Yupp! Outside the Imperial Palace!” she smiles brightly in such a way as if daring them to turn down her request.

 


Author's Note:

wen wu shuang quan - means to be both well educated and skill in martial arts. 

The Chinese number in pinyin is: yi (1), er (2), san (3), si (4), wu (5), liu (6), qi (7), ba (8), jiu (9), shi (10). 

ge - means elder brother

di - means younger brother

So in this case Luhan is second oldest so Yixing refer to him as Er ge. Yixing is third in line so Luhan refer to him as San di. Yifan is the eldest so all the siblings would call him Da ge, not Yi ge because Da means big or oldest.....don't ask me why it's not Yi ge because I don't know either hahaha I'm actually not Chinese, I just love the language so I'm learning too. 

Three more exoo12 appears! or uh...2.5? since Kris was just part of a dream currently?