The Illegitimate Child

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 35

The Illegitimate Child

Chanyeol accompany Sehun into the room of awaiting officials and generals. Earlier, during their private discussion, Sehun has informed Chanyeol of an upcoming war that he wants Chanyeol to lead. Being the new king, Sehun had made efforts to keep an eye on neighboring kingdoms because he worries that they might be eyeing Korea while he's still new to the role. He had recently received reports on suspicious activities near one of the borders. He called Chanyeol in to discuss if they should be preparing and making the first move before they are attack. The two had discussed and agreed that Chanyeol alone was not going to be enough, and they have to make sure to win because this will mark Sehun's first victory since his coronation.

Sehun sits down in his throne and opens up the topic to the rest of the court. They need to gather more volunteers but most of the general present was making up all kind of excuses to not have to join the war. Sehun had predicted this would happen since not many of them pledge their true loyalty or trust him as a ruler like they did with his father yet. Sehun sits there on his throne, staring down at all his subjects bickering about with their insincere words. Chanyeol already had someone in mind for the job - a young general that has been working under Chanyeol for a while. Chanyeol just needed Sehun to promote this person so that he can ride into battle with Chanyeol. However, Sehun wanted to observes this crowd carefully to see which one among them he can actually get to wholeheartedly work for him. This went on for a full five minutes before a familiar voice loudly silence the crowd.

"I'll go"

Everyone in the room gasps and turn to look at the person. Sehun also moves his gaze towards the person. Although his face was still very emotionless, but inside he was just as shock as everyone in the room. A few seconds passes by and the room explode into a noisy place again with everyone trying to reject the person's offer.

"Your Highness, please rethink about it!"

"Your Highness, you're the only other son of the former King. You cannot join the war!"

"Your Majesty! You must reject the First Prince's offer. You must not allow him to go! It'll be terrible if something were to happen to him on the battlefield while you still have no heir of your own!"

Jongin send them his famous smirk and said, "I am this old already and have yet to experience being on the battlefield. Chanyeol will also be there so it sounds fun."

"Your Highness, the battlefield is not a place for you to play. Also, you are the only prince left of the kingdom in case anything happens to the King. You cannot go there and risk your life!" one of the officials argued.

Baekhyun had heard enough and angrily spoke up, "How dare you all say such things?! His Majesty's rule has just begun and all of you already have thoughts of something bad happening to our King?!"

While Baekhyun and the other subjects argue back and forth, Sehun and Jongin just stare silently at each other. Jongin knew Sehun was questioning his intentions and was waiting for an answer or an explanation. Jongin didn't have any of that to give him so he simply bows to Sehun, "Long may you reign, Your Majesty. Please allow me to join General Park in the upcoming war."

Sehun glared angrily at Jongin then quickly left the room. Everyone fell into silence and look after Sehun's disappearing back. Baekhyun and Chanyeol both look towards Jongin but he only sends them back a smile and then he also left the room.

Sehun was beyond furious with his brother. He hadn't plan to leave the room, but he was afraid that if he hadn't left, he wouldn't have been able to control his emotions any longer in front of his other subjects. Jongin asking to join the war was hurting him more than he was willing to show. It felt like the only family member he has left in this world also wants to abandon him. Sehun knows he also has a role in driving them father apart, but somehow it feels utterly uncomfortable to think that Jongin wants to widen the distance between them as far as the battlefield.

---

Yixing has been holed up in his own garden ever since returning from Weimin's funeral. He had refused to meet with anyone. When his mother and Liufei came, he simply sends them away with a few empty reassuring words. When Tao came asking to speak with him, he also refused to meet and asked Dahai to tell Tao that he's excuse from his guard duties until further notice. Dahai was worried about his master's prolonged sadness so he sneaked out and went to look for Changan. Dahai didn't dare to openly request for a direct audience with the second prince so he secretly meet with Changan. He asks Changan to help him convince Luhan to pay Yixing a visit as soon as he can. Changan agreed and told Luhan when he returned from his mission.

Luhan quickly went to Yixing's palace. When Dahai saw him entering the gates, he immediately rushes out and lead Luhan to the garden. Luhan entered the garden alone while Dahai and Changan stand guard at the entrance. Yixing was t the azaleas flowers with one hand and holding a wine jar in the other.

Luhan chuckles at the sight of his younger brother, "For someone who knows how to appreciates flowers, I thought you knew better than to be t them while drinking. You might end up with a bald pot of flowers once you're sober again."

Yixing turns around to face Luhan, "Er ge, you're back earlier than expected."

"I am not early. It's just you being holed up here for too long to know the correct dates or time."

Yixing let out a sigh and places his scissor down on the table nearby. "That Dahai moved on his own again," Yixing stated, knowing immediately who was behind Luhan's sudden visit.

"It is his job to worry about you. Besides, even if he hadn't done so, I would have come by sooner or later." Luhan reaches out to accept the cup of wine Yixing has just pour for him. He took a sip and spits it out immediately.

He looks at Yixing questioningly but his younger brother only gave him a small smile. Yixing raise the wine jar and said, "Extra diluted wine. Courtesy of the Empire's only Princess."

Luhan laughed out loud at his sister's antics. "I did hear Dahai mentioned her visit a couple days ago. She must have worried that you might be drowning yourself in alcohol. I might need to check my own stash of wine when I get back to my place," he said then he hands the cup back to Yixing, "you might as well be drinking water."

Yixing puts down both the jar and the cup next to the scissor, "I'll be surprised if she hadn't messed with every Prince's wine. He was all of our teacher after all…"

Luhan nodded as he follows Yixing to the pavilion, "He was, but you are much closer to him, aren't you?"

Yixing froze mid-step and slowly turn around to look at Luhan. Yixing's expression was unreadable but Luhan can feel his anxiety starting to build up. Luhan let out a light laugh, "Don't be so anxious, San di. You don't have to keep hiding your special relationship with Official Zhang in front of me. That day… I saw how you restraint yourself so hard that you couldn't even say the things you wanted to say to him before he pass away. I saw the look he sent you and I could somewhat guess what it means with your expression at the time."

Yixing shuts his eyes tightly and try to calm himself down from being found out, and then he slowly opens his eyes to face Luhan. "I was worry that you and my other brothers might think that I have competitive intentions. Also, I worried that Royal Mother and the other Consorts might cause trouble for my Mother if they knew and thought that I want to compete with their sons…" he let out a sigh and then continue, "Is it so hard to believe that I will wholeheartedly serve Da ge or whichever brother becomes the emperor in the future?"

Luhan smiles at his younger brother and gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder, "I believe you because I share the same intentions as you. Though, I thought I made that clear but it seems Da ge still doesn't trust me…" he trails off and motion for Yixing to continue to walk with him to the pavilion. "As we were growing up, I saw how busy our Royal Father has always been. He has to deal with so many governing issues and issues of the inner palace. Seeing that, I can tell being emperor isn't all that pleasant. That's why, San di, you don't have to keep hiding your relationship with Official Zhang in front of me. If you are still sad over his death, you can talk about it with me."

"I understand. Thank you Er ge," Yixing said with a grateful tone.

The two of them sat there and enjoy the light breeze that flows through the pavilion in silence for a couple minutes. Yixing feels lighter now that he knows he can be more open to Luhan. Another breeze passes by and Luhan broke the peaceful silence with a question, "What do you think about your fake engagement to the Second Young Miss Zhang?"

Yixing glance towards the pot of azaleas and smile in memories of his laoshi, "My Mother was also worrying that it might delay my actual marriage if I were to be Second Young Miss Zhang's fake fiancé. I've spoke with Royal Father and I am wiling to help Zhang laoshi's daughter until she no longer needs the protection of the engagement."

Luhan nodded at Yixing's words, "When Royal Father spoke with me regarding marriages, I had told him I wasn't ready for it but I was willing to offer Eldest Young Miss Zhang the same help you are offering to the Second Young Miss Zhang. However, he said that it wasn't needed since he wants for her to become the Princess Consort if she agrees to it. I am glad that things worked out. Will there be an engagement ceremony or celebration?"

"Most likely not. Both of the Zhang Young Misses are still in mourning for their father, it won’t be appropriate to hold any kind of celebration."

"True. I heard that both you and Royal Father have accepted the Second Young Miss Zhang's request to stay outside of the imperial palace? Will that be safe for her?"

"This is but a fake betrothal, so no one has the right to make demands of her even if it's to protect her. Both Royal Father and I will be setting up our guards at the Zhang residence to provide her with as much protection as we can. I'll also try to put in some personal visits there to make this engagement more believable."

"Sounds like all of you have things figured out. Should there be anything you need me for, don't hesitate to let me know," Luhan said then look over at Yixing's face, "I am glad to see that you are doing better than Dahai had described."

Yixing let out a light laugh, "I did have the intention of drowning myself in alcohol but Feifei happened. You know that although our palaces are our own, but all of our servants fear her more than they fear us. If she ordered them to dilute our wine, as you've tasted, there was only one percent of alcohol left in that jar of water. Even if I drank ten of those, I still wouldn't have gotten drunk."

"I feel for you. If Royal Father hadn't sent me out on a mission, I might have faced similar trouble."

"You best still check your wine. This time she might have done it out of concern but next time she might do it out of boredom. We best start a secret stash somewhere."

"You think she wouldn't be able to find out where it is? You know that the more we try to hide something, the more determine she is to find out where it is. I think we best start getting used to drinking extra diluted wine."

---

Junmyeon came by Kyungsoo's room to update him with information from Korea and China. Junmyeon was enjoying his tea while Kyungsoo was painting. After discussing and deciding that they will stay out of Korea's upcoming war, Junmyeon went on to let Kyungsoo know that he had sent Minseok to kill the Chinese official that was working for Japan. While reporting this information, Junmyeon noticed that Kyungsoo's hand pauses slightly upon hearing Minseok's name. This isn't the first time Junmyeon noticed this. Kyungsoo's attention always seems to flicker at any mention or involvement with Minseok.

Not hearing Junmyeon continuing with his report, Kyungsoo ask without looking up at him, "Did he report back yet? Did he do well?"

Junmyeon narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Kyungsoo, "If you're that worried about Minseok, why didn't you keep him by your side? I worked for you for so long now, yet I still don't quite understand what it is between you and Minseok. He seems to be special to you, yet you seem to enjoy torturing him mentally but then cares for his physical well being. Just what is it that you want from Minseok? Tell me, maybe I can help you achieve it."

Kyungsoo's grip on the ink brush was so hard that Junmyeon can hear a little cracking sound from where he sits, "If you're done with your report then leave."

Kyungsoo seems to be in a bad mood so Junmyeon knows better than to push him at this time. He got up and left the room. When he was outside, he saw Jongdae standing there, seemingly waiting for him. Junmyeon doesn't say anything and just walk past Jongdae.

"You best not think that just because the Crown Prince favors you and treat you differently than others it’ll mean that you can poke your head into all of his business. There are certain things that no one is allowed to poke their noses in and for our Crown Prince, Minseok is one of those things. You best know where the limits are now before you get yourself kill," Jongdae said, stopping Junmyeon in his track.

Junmyeon knew what Jongdae was trying to do. He has been trying to find opportunities to irk Junmyeon for a long time. To Jongdae, this is one of those perfect opportunities. To Junmyeon, this is a perfect chance to find out what he was interested in knowing. Jongdae has been with Kyungsoo for much longer than Junmyeon, so he knows that there are answers only Jongdae can give when Kyungsoo refuses to. Junmyeon turn around to give Jongdae a smile, "Your eavesdropping skill seems to improve every day. Thank you for your insincere concerns but I am not interested in knowing what you know. Now, please excuse me as I have other work to get to."

Jongdae tsk in annoyance. He was happy to finally have something to show Junmyeon up but the guy doesn't even seem interested. "You questioned him so much yet you don't want to know?" Jongdae ask him, hoping to at least get Junmyeon to react more than just his usual smiles.

Junmyeon continues to walk away, "If you feel like telling me then come look for me whenever. I don't have the time to spare to play secrets with you. I'm simply not that interested, perhaps you should just keep it to yourself."

Jongdae smirks, "Will you be interested if I tell you that Minseok is actually the illegitimate son of our King?"

---

Ziyuan, dressed in all black clothing, broke into the inner palace at midnight. He avoided all of the royal guards and make his way to one of the unused palaces within the inner palace. As he pushes the door to the dimly lit room open, a whip lash at him. He quickly catches it with his hand and pull hard on the whip so that his attacker would come flying into his arms. He let go of the whip and uses both arms to hug the person tightly. "My beautiful Ziyi, to think you have the heart to hurt me," he leans down and try to kiss her but she dodges and pushes him away.

"Zhang Ziyuan, just what is it that you are planning?! How dare you ruin my plans for my son?!" Ziyi yells at him angrily.

Ziyuan smile and forcefully pull her in for a hug again. He pats her back comfortingly as he told her, "Calm down my love. You know that I would never do anything that could be a disadvantage to you and your son. I am always trying to help Yifan sit tightly on the throne."

Ziyi try to hit him but he caught her hand and kisses it. She yanks her hand away from him, "Liar. If you were thinking for me and Yifan you wouldn't have sent your nieces to the palace."

He let go of her and walk over to sit down at the table in the room, "You are so angry that you can't even get Xiaoming to prepare some tea for me?"

"She's busy standing guard outside. Don't try to change the subject."

Ziyuan let out a sigh, "I need Yueyin's help to take over the Zhang clan and she won't be able to help me without the proper backing of the royal family," he reaches out and pull her to him, "The Qin clan that you chose for Yifan is great but imagine if he can have the backing of the Zhang clan while I am the clan's head. Who else would dare to go against him then?"

Ziyi glares at him, still very unhappy with what he did, "I don't like Zhang Weimin's daughter to become my daughter in law."

Ziyuan pull her down so that she would sit on his leg and he wrap his arms around her, "I know that you don't like my brother because he refused you and hurt your pride back then. However, I need you to endure it for me this time. Once I unite and strengthen the Zhang clan, I'll help you think of a way to break the betrothal if by that time you still don’t want Yueyin as your daughter in law."

"I've met her before. If you hadn't begged me that time, I wouldn't have invited her to the Flower Viewing event. The way she talks and the way she acts, she resembles her father too much for my liking. I would never want her as my daughter in law." Ziyi reaches out and place a finger on Ziyuan's lips. She then slowly trails her finger down his chin, to his throat and then stopping at his heart, "You want me to endure it for you? Do you think you deserve it?"

Ziyuan laugh heartily and then gently picks her up and carry her to the bed, "I'll show you how much I deserve your heart and your body my Empress."

---

Since learning the surprising truth from Jongdae, Junmyeon has been secretly looking into Minseok's background. It seems that the King doesn't know of Minseok's existence. Minseok himself also doesn't know that he's the son of the King. Minseok's mother was a maid that the King had fancied and secretly slept with her twice. When the maid became pregnant, Kyungsoo's mother - who was the queen at the time - wanted to kill the maid. Luckily, a guard that was in love with the maid saved her and sneaked her out of the palace. The maid lived with the guard until she gave birth to Minseok. The queen's assassins found them and the guard sacrificed his life so that Minseok and his mother could escape.

Minseok and his mother struggled through poverty until Minseok was around five years old. He stole food from a store and while he was running away, he bumps into Kyungsoo. The queen and Kyungsoo was returning to the palace from a shrine visit at the time. Minseok's mother recognized who it was and quickly run up to try getting Minseok away. Unfortunately for them, the queen also recognized Minseok's mother and immediately had her and Minseok taken to the palace secretly. The queen wanted to torture them and then kill them but Kyungsoo saved them. He asked his mother to release them and she did out of love for her own son. However, before releasing them she secretly forces them to drink a slow reacting poison. After escaping from the palace, Minseok's mother soon die from the poison. Minseok was also about to die but Kyungsoo appears and gave him the antidote in time.

Although he had gotten the antidote in time but Minseok still suffers through a bad fever due to the strength of the poison. He woke up in Kyungsoo's room, having forgotten everything. From then on, Kyungsoo kept Minseok by his side despite the queen's rejection. Kyungsoo had Minseok served him like a servant before forcing Minseok to go through hellish training under the head of the assassin group at the time. Minseok passes through many trials and climb his way to the top of the organization. Throughout those years, Kyungsoo continuously tortures Minseok mentally and breaking his illegitimate brother down and then rebuild him up to become a weapon that's only for his personal use.

Junmyeon let out a sigh at what he learned about Minseok's past. Gaining Kyungsoo's trust wasn't an easy thing, so when Kyungsoo allowed Junmyeon to give commands to Minseok, Junmyeon had felt that the trust between them was more solid than before. He just couldn't imagine that this was the background of the best weapon Kyungsoo had entrusted him with. Junmyeon was unhappy with all of this though, and for the first time in a while he actually feels frustrated. Kyungsoo trust him enough to command Minseok yet doesn’t trust him enough to let him know of the relationship between them.

Before Junmyeon could think any further, the door to his room was sliced in half and a very angry Kyungsoo walks through it. Kyungsoo points his katana at Junmyeon, "You dared to dig into my business?"

Junmyeon wasn't shaking in fear like the guards outside the room was. Everyone in Japan would shakes in fear when facing an angry Kyungsoo but not Junmyeon. Never Junmyeon. He simply faces Kyungsoo's sword head on without any fear in his eyes, "Why are you angry? You should have known that I will find out sooner or later."

Kyungsoo's grip on his katana tighten and he angrily chop down on Junmyeon's table, slicing it cleanly in half.

"I don't understand why you kept him alive and kept him by your side. Was it on a whim? Out of revenge towards the father that had never properly loved you? Was it out of amusement to be able to control the life and death of someone for the first time? Or was there some siblings’ attachment?" Junmyeon questions Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo stabs Junmyeon's right shoulder and pushes him against the wall, "What do you think it was?"

Junmyeon smile at the angry Kyungsoo, "All of the above."

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth and stab his sword deeper into Junmyeon's shoulder. Junmyeon let out a grunt of pain but did not look away from Kyungsoo, "Did you hide it from me because you thought that I would think differently of you? Kyungsoo, you know me better than that and I know too well what kind of person you are. Otherwise, I wouldn't have worked for you."

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at Junmyeon and look deeply in his eyes to search for signs of dishonesty. When he found none, he pulls his sword out of Junmyeon's shoulder and turn to leave. Junmyeon grips his bleeding shoulder with the opposite hand and said to Kyungsoo's back, "If you've entrusted Minseok to me, I will help you to look after him."

"Do as you please," Kyungsoo said without looking back at Junmyeon. He then left the room, leaving an injured Junmyeon behind. Junmyeon slide down to the floor slowly and lean his head back against the wall, wondering if everything he has done so far was worth it.

 


Author's Notes:

Everything is allowed to open again where I’m at, if it is the same where you guys are, remember to still stay alert and be careful to avoid possibly getting infected. Stay safe, stay healthy and happy reading everyone 😊 see you next chapter.