The Play - Cont.

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 45

The Play - Cont.

The Queen of Japan walks into the room with all her elegance, grace and dignity as the mother of a nation and representation of an honorary linage. Following behind her into the room is her son, Crown Prince Kyungsoo. Behind him is his advisor Junmyeon and the Queen's personal maid.

The King frowns upon seeing Kyungsoo and Junmyeon. "I don't remember summoning the Crown Prince and his advisor. They have no business here."

The Queen knows her presence commands attention and she uses it very well in support of her soft voice. "They had business with me until your summon interrupted us. I see no harm in bringing them along, especially if it's to discuss about royal linage."

"Greetings, Your Majesty." Kyungsoo, Junmyeon and the maid bow to the king.

He glares at them unhappily. She clearly had heard about his illegitimate child being found and brought into the castle prior to his summons. He always knew she was not as blind and deaf to the happenings of the castle as she likes to show. All these years, as long as she didn't personally interfere in how he runs Japan, he was more than happy to leave her be.

The Queen eyes landed on Yifan and she purposefully widen her eyes in disbelief. She is well aware of the fact that the King is observing her every expression and movements. She sends him a quick glance and smooth out her expression.

He smirks at her trying to compose herself. "I've summoned you here to assist in identifying my lost son, since you were rumored to have been the last one to have met him when he was little."

She glances over Yifan and said, "I don't recognize him. He's not the one you're hoping to find."

"My Queen, please look carefully. It's crucial that my son is found so that no royal bloodline is wandering out there unknown. As the mother of a nation, it's your duty to ensure such thing! So, look again carefully!" he raised his voice with every word in the last sentence, causing the servants in the room to shake in fear.

She takes in a deep breath and looks straight at him, "I am fully aware of my duty as a Queen. He is not the one" she adamantly denies Yifan's identity.

"You!" he stood up from his throne in anger. Although he is secretly happy since her earlier surprise expression and adamant denial has already confirm his son's identity, he is not happy with her show of defiance against him in front of his subjects.

Suddenly, the Queen's personal maid jumps out and kneel in front of him. "Your Majesty! The lost Prince has a birth mark on his left shoulder, you can identify him this way!"

"How dare you speak nonsense!" the Queen angrily yells at her maid, "you must be punish for acting out of line!"

"No, Your Majesty! Please save me!" the maid tries to crawl closer to the King, "please save me and I will tell you everything! I betrayed Her Majesty so that I can help you! You have to save me!"

The King nodded, "I will ensure your safety. Speak and reveal the truth."

The maid quickly blurted out, "That day when Her Majesty and the Crown Prince was returning to the castle from the shrine, they ran into the lost Prince and his mother. Her Majesty had them captured, but that night I bribed a guard and helped them escaped because I felt bad for them. When they were leaving through the exit, I noticed the birthmark on the Prince's left shoulder through the tear in his shirt."

The Queen glares unhappily at her maid, then turn her gaze towards the King and composed herself. She clearly knew what the maid said was not true and it's just part of the play they're putting on. However, it got her remembering of that night and how she dirtied her own hands for a man who had betrayed her heart. "Do not disgrace me any further," she warned him.

"I'm disgracing you?" he scoffs at her. "You're the one who have disgraced yourself with such despicable and evil acts! You caused my child to be separated from me for all these years. You made me guilty as a father and owe a debt to him!"

Kyungsoo was about to step forward to speak his lines in the script, but his mother's sudden laugh made him stop. She's going off script but that is alright, he knew from the start this was a sensitive subject for her. Today is the day his parents will be destroying what little pretenses the two of them has built around each other all these years. He just hopes in her anger, she does not forget their goal.

The Queen laughs bitterly and asks her King, "Then what about Kyungsoo? Do you not feel you owe anything to our child for how you've always treated him?!"

The King stares coldly at her, "He has always been treated as well as a Crown Prince should be treated. He lives in luxury all his life, what more does he want?"

She snickers, "You know full well it isn't about the luxuries. I wonder if you're also guilty towards your first child."

The King freezes up for a second. Junmyeon glances over to the Queen, but quickly lowers his gaze. The other subjects and servants in the room whispers among themselves, not quite understanding what the Queen had meant. They think she must have lost it with the appearance of the illegitimate Prince.

"What kind of nonsense are you talking about? My first child is Kyungsoo and I've no guilt towards him as I've never mistreated him."

The Queen uses her hand fan to hide as she laughs at his reaction. She looks straight at him in the eyes and calmly said, "Don't think you're able to keep all of your deep dark secrets hidden. You should know the capabilities of the woman you've married. It's funny seeing someone such as yourself wanting to act like a good father after all that you've done. It's sickening to watch." Without waiting for him to respond, she left with her head held high, not sparing him another glance.

Everyone in the room was left in different state of shock and surprise at the Queen's exit. Junmyeon wakes himself from the shock at the Queen's words and nudges Kyungsoo. The Crown Prince takes it as his cue and step up to play his part.

"I believe this matter needs more investigation. We cannot have just any strangers showing up and claiming to be of royal bloodline" Kyungsoo said, lacing his tone with a bit of an edge to show his objection.

"Then we shall confirm his identity," the King motions with his hand and Hiroki's father walks up to Yifan.

Yifan acted wary but let Hiroki's father help him pull down his shirt to expose the back of his left shoulder. He's not sure how they knew of his birthmark when the maid blurted it out, but the knowing look in the scheming advisor's eyes explains it all. The King tells the maid to go over to Yifan and identify if the birthmark is the same one she saw before. When she confirms that it is, Kyungsoo immediately objects again.

"How do we know if they're not scheming together?" Kyungsoo asks.

Having had enough, the King waves away Kyungsoo's question. "You should not be acting shameful like this as the Crown Prince. How can you not find it in your heart to accept your own siblings even if he's from a different mother?"

Kyungsoo gave the King a furious glare and left the room. Junmyeon following behind him.

The King is secretly happy to see Kyungsoo riled up since he always acted so calm. He feels that with the addition of his illegitimate child, the table has started to tip in his favor. He wants to see how long that arrogant evil son of his will last now that a new player has enter the field. He turns and smile at Yifan, "I'm very pleased to have finally been able to reunite with you, my child. I did not get a chance to ask for your name. What did Shujiao decided to name you?"

"My name is Jiaheng."

"Jiaheng," he repeated, "a Chinese name. It must have a good meaning for your mother to have chosen it. However, you will need a Japanese name in order to be added to the linage records." He walks over and place his hand on Yifan's shoulder, "I will make it up to you, my child."

 

Kyungsoo has left to his mother's castle. Jongdae was waiting outside the court room. He wanted to follow Kyungsoo but was told to return. So, he joins Junmyeon who leisurely walks back to the Crown Prince's castle. Junmyeon complimented Jongdae for a job well done in relaying the play's plan to Hiroki's father without raising the King's suspicions.

After some more steps in leisure silence, Jongdae asks "How did you found out about the birthmark? Did he tell you himself?"

Junmyeon smirks, "Who do you think did the initial first aid for his injuries on the way back from China's border?"

"I had thought it was Minseok before he sends you guys back. Didn't think you knew how to do first aid."

"That's because you never come to me with your injuries. Next time, you can try out my skills if you'd like."

Jongdae scowls, "Are you jinxing me to get injure? I'm definitely not interested in putting my life in your hands."

Junmyeon smiles that annoying smile at him and the two of them continue in silence. Jongdae breaks the silence again a few minutes later, "Do you feel guilty for using the King's love for his lost child like that?"

Junmyeon gave a bitter smile that Jongdae has never seen before. "Guilt? He doesn't have the luxury of riling such an emotion out of anyone."

---

The weather was nice out today so Yueyin, Ruyi and Xiaobai decided to start clearing out the backyard of the abandoned palace that they haven't gotten to since they've moved in. During their initial browsing tour, this palace shown signs that a fire had taken place several years ago, though the worst-off places were repaired, but it doesn't look like much efforts were put into the rest of the place. The three of them swept the fallen leaves and gathered the old and broken furniture in one place. They discovered a usable table so Ruyi gave Xiaobai a hand to move it to the front courtyard. Yueyin decided to begin pulling up the overgrowing weeds. She looks around to see where to start and her eyes landed on a bush of lovely small blue with pink hues flowers. She has never seen these type before and as someone who has grown a garden of her own, she couldn't help but reaches out to them. However, before her hand could touch them, Ruyi's hand grab onto her wrist to stop her.

"My Lady, don't touch that!" Ruyi said, a bit out of breath. She ran over to Yueyin as soon as she saw what Yueyin was planning to touch. Ruyi pull Yueyin by her hand farther away from the flower bush.

"Ruyi, what's wrong?" Yueyin asks, a bit confuse.

"Please don't ever go near that flower bush if you see it. They're leadwort. Every part of it is poisonous. Coming into contact with it can cause skin rashes or blisters."

Yueyin turn to look at the flowers and nodded. She was once again amaze with Ruyi's knowledge on herbs and plants. The first time has been when Ruyi stops Meiyin from eating poisonous berries that they've found in the woods on their way to the river. Those berries resembled a type of berries that are usually edible, so Meiyin was excited to pick them, only to have Ruyi swat them out of her hands before she could pop them into .

"Thank you, it's wonderful that you're so knowledgeable about such things. How did you learn of this flower being poisonous?" Yueyin asks.

Ruyi smiles sadly, "When you've wander through mountains and uninhabited roads long enough, you'll pick up many survival knowledge such as this."

Yueyin place a comforting hand on Ruyi's shoulder. She didn't want Ruyi to relive painful memories so she was thankful for Xiaobai's interruption.

"My Lady, your sister's letter was just delivered," Xiaobai said as she come over with the letter in her hand.

Yueyin takes it from her and open it to read the content. "It looks like my uncle wants me to attend the clan's meeting."

Ruyi lets out a small sigh, "I don't know if we should be happy that you've become such a forgettable topic that not even one servant out there gossips about you. If they had, it would have reached General Ziyuan's ears by now and he would have definitely protest with the Emperor to release you. Instead, he's asking for you to attend the clan's meeting."

"It can't be help. Even if he's a first rank General, he's not permitted to come and go as he pleases within the inner court. Plus, no one would dare to anger the Empress by bringing up my name.  Being forgotten is good, otherwise we could be faring a lot worse than now."

"If the Second Young Miss ever finds out how you've been living, I can't imagine she would let the people in this imperial palace continue to live a peaceful life," Ruyi said.

Yueyin smiles, "Which is why we'll never let her know. I better go write back a reply now. We can continue the cleanup tomorrow, you two should go take a rest."

---

"If we're talking in terms of experience, I've been leading the largest branch of the clan all these years. I believe I'm the most qualify for the position of clan's head."

"I don't agree that the size of the branch should dictates the decision for clan's head. Just because your branch has more people doesn't mean you were a good leader. Your branch's region is the one in the most debts. If we let you become the clan's head, what would become of the entire clan?!"

"Shut up! You can't even manage your own household, what right do you have to speak?!"

"My household's matters is none of your business! My branch's region is the most well flourish! I have the most rights to be clan's head!"

"Neither of you are qualify. My branch has been the most well managed. Most of my people are well fed. I should be clan's head!"

Ziyuan has been silently observing the different branch leaders fighting with each other. Their arguments are getting more and more heated. Their branch's members aggressively and loudly join in to show support for their leaders. The scene became quite chaotic and they were very close to breaking out into a physical fight. No weak-willed man would dare to get in the middle of that. However, to Ziyuan who has faced many battles and bathe in his enemies' blood, this was like watching a scene of children bickering. If anyone can shut this crowd up, it would be him. He simply has to show them his military prowess, but that would give him a bad reputation for coercing the clan's head position through blood shed. Currently, he's waiting for the right moment to show them Yueyin's support letter and for the arrival of the Zhang sisters.

The rowdy crowd kept on going for another good half hour, inching closer to a full-on fist fight. Ziyuan's right hand man walks up to him and whisper to let him know that Meiyin has arrived. He gave a nod, signaling his approval for them to take action. Ziyuan's right hand man stands behind Ziyuan and rise his hand to give the signal. Immediately, Ziyuan's guards surrounds the crowd, drew their swords halfway out of the scabbard and then withdrew them right away in unison, creating the loud weapon sound that startle everyone into silence. They all glance around towards the armed guards wondering what's going on when someone's voice fills the slightly tense atmosphere.

"Wow, it's not as rowdy as I had thought it would be with this many people in one place."

The crowd started to move and make way for the new guest that has just arrived at the entrance. When a clear walkway was formed, it reveals a veiled-face Meiyin standing by the entrance. Accompanying behind her is Xiaolan with a small box in her hands. The two of them makes their way to the front of the crowd where Ziyuan was standing with the Zhang clan's branch leaders.

"Greetings Uncles," she greeted them. "My apologies for being a bit late. There were some last-minute arrangements that needed my attention at the residence."

"You can take however long you need. You're the main character of today's meeting after all."

"Oh, look how much you've grown since we last saw you!"

"It's good to see you Meiyin. We've all been waiting for you. Where is your sister?"

They greeted her back cheerfully, but their eyes weren't on her but rather on the box in Xiaolan's hands. She's well aware that they know what's in the box and how they expect her to play her role as the former clan head's daughter at this meeting. She and her sister have never liked these branch leaders very much. They've always took advantage of her father's kind and tolerant nature. If uncle Ziyuan hadn't requested her presence, she wouldn't have bother to attend this meeting. She looks past the greedy wolves surrounding her and made eye contacts with Ziyuan. She gave a slight bow of her head to him in greeting and he smile back at her to acknowledge it. She clears loudly and the branch leaders goes quiet, anxiously awaiting what she have to say.

"My sister is not able to attend today due to stricter palace security reasons. However, she did send a letter asking me to speak on her behalf and to relay her support to the new chosen clan leader," she announces.

They all look around warily, wondering who the future Princess Consort have chosen to support. Though the Crown Prince is missing, possibly dead, the Emperor had made it clear that Yueyin will become the Princess Consort no matter what. Getting her support is as good as being chosen for the position. Normally, they wouldn't have let two young girls decide the fate of the clan. However, they both will be married into the royal family. One will be the future Empress, the most powerful position in the empire a woman could get. One will be the future wife of the Third Prince, who will undoubtedly become a powerful Duke. Since both will be in a position where they can influence the decisions of the empire, it is extremely beneficial to the future clan's head to make use of them and their supports.

"Everyone please steps back and let the candidates for clan's head position step forward," Meiyin said.

The crowd around her slowly move back. Three men were left standing in front of her, but her eyes weren't on them. They follow her gaze to see Ziyuan stepping forward to join the three candidates. Everyone's gasps in surprised. None of them had expect for Ziyuan to join the fight for the position.

"Ziyuan, you also want to be the clan's head?!"

"You're always out on the battlefield, I don't think you're present enough to be our clan's head."

"Managing a clan isn't the same as managing an army. You best not waste everyone's time."

Ziyuan smile at them, "How do you know if incorporating army managing style into clan management isn't a good idea? Your old ways don’t seem to be working out for your branch. If you want to run the entire clan the way you run your branch, we would all be done for."

"You!..."

"Now. Now. Let's all calm down," Meiyin soothe them. "Uncles, we are not here to fight. We are here to chose a new clan's head that will better the future of our Zhang clan. Since you all have nominated yourselves, we shall proceed with the voting."

"Meiyin, there's no need for that. Just tell us who you and Yueyin would like to support. We'll listen to your decision first" one of the branch leaders said.

Meiyin looks around to check for objections, then nodded and said "My sister and I have both chosen to support Uncle Ziyuan to become the next clan's head."

"Isn't that too bias and unfair?" one of branch leaders' son said.

She turns to him, "Then are you saying that in terms of legitimacy and capabilities, your father can surpass Uncle Ziyuan?" She continues when he didn't respond, "Although before grandfather Minsheng there were times when distant bloodlines fill the position of clan's head, however, doesn't it always return to the direct bloodline? Who is more legitimate than the direct bloodline of grandfather Minsheng and the blood brother of my father, Weimin? Who can face off the clan's enemies with his own power without compromising the clan's interests? Who can use his hard-earned position at court to speak up louder for the clan's benefits? Who can say they'll be able to bring order and unity to the now divided branches of the Zhang clan in a way better than he'll be able to?" she looks around into each of their eyes, challenging them to speak up. "Is anyone here more experienced with the role of leadership? And I meant good leadership that's brave, strong and have produces actual visible results on his own without eating up the resources of the clan. Can anyone else here be a leader that won't shake under the pressure of power and won't salivate upon the sight of gold?"

They all avoided her gaze. It's their complete lost. But they knew that. They knew that the moment Zhang Ziyuan stepped forward. If they had knew he wanted to run for the position, they would have plotted to frame him for using force and threats. However, he was obviously ahead of the game by garnering the Zhang sisters' supports. He has a high court rank, fame, power and wealth. He is the Zhang sisters' blood uncle too, who else would they have chosen to support if he wants the position? What could they possibly compete with aside from playing dirty? Was this a fair fight? No. Were they thoroughly convinced by Meiyin's words and the reality of it? Yes. Will they accept their lost and this new chosen clan's head? They have no other choice. 

"Thank you Meiyin for speaking highly of me," Ziyuan said.

"My sister and I are simply speaking truth. Uncle Ziyuan, we truly believe you're deserving of the position and we know that you'll lead the clan well as our grandfather and father did." She then turns back to the others, "With that said, does anyone have anymore objections?"

The crowd was dead silent. The three candidate steal glances at each other then shakes their head. Meiyin smile and turn back to Ziyuan, "To make our support for you more legitimate, please display the promised letter my sister has given you."

Ziyuan hands the letter over. Meiyin opens and held it up for everyone to see Yueyin's crest on the letter. "This letter is a promise of unconditional supports from the future Empress of this Empire to Zhang Ziyuan, the new clan's head of the Zhang clan."

The crowd murmur amongst themselves. Some are jealous while some are fearful of the additional power that Ziyuan now holds. Xiaolan step forward and open up the small box she has been holding. She presents it to Meiyin who takes out the item inside and handed it over to Ziyuan, "This clan's head crest is now yours, uncle Ziyuan."

The branch leaders realized too late that they were just here to serve as witness to the promotion of the new clan's head. They never had a chance to begin with.

---

"If we handle the problems down South this way, we can benefit from an increase in population growth in this city, which will drive an increase in crop productions… but there will be quite a bit of resistance to the new law."

Sehun nodded, agreeing with Baekhyun's methods, "Just do as you've suggested."

The two of them has been locked up in Sehun's study room going through each urgent reports since early morning after the court meeting. There were a lot of resistance from some fractions and common people ever since Sehun's reign began. Both him and Baekhyun has been working tirelessly to straighten out things but the influx of workflow never ends.

"Your Majesty, General Taeho has arrived" one of the guards at the door announce.

Baekhyun send Sehun a questioning look, but Sehun simply ignores it and gave the guard a nod to permit Taeho's entry. Baekhyun open his mouth to ask but was interrupted by Taeho's greeting.

"Greetings Your Majesty and Prime Minister Byun. I've come to present the First Prince's report."

"What? Why is Taeho submitting His Highness' report?" Baekhyun asks.

Taeho looks away from Baekhyun guiltily. Sehun let out a sigh, it's obvious Taeho has not informed Baekhyun. It has just been his luck that the other times Baekhyun wasn't present. Taeho stares at the floor, acting pitifully to show he was forced.

Baekhyun glare daggers at Taeho and Sehun. Judging from Sehun's calmness, it seems that this has been going on for awhile now. Baekhyun rubs his face tiredly. He had hope that the two royal brothers would talk business or at the very least, seeing each other's face daily outside of the tense court room would help. But these idiots just did as they please, like always. He should really consider retiring early from this stressful job.

Baekhyun collects the report from Taeho and smack his head with it before kicking him out of the room. He drops it unceremoniously on Sehun's desk and keeps his glare on Sehun.

"You've got to be the rudest Prime Minister in the history of Korea," Sehun picks up the report and stack it on top of the unread pile. Still ignoring Baekhyun's glare, he picks up his brush to continue marking up the report in front of him. "Your eyesight will go bad if you glare too much, Prime Minister."

"So, the two of you will just keep going like this?"

"I'm not sure what you are referring to. Please focus on the job at hand, we still have a lot of reports to go through."

Baekhyun looks down at Sehun's markups, hesitated but decides to ask anyways. "Won't you try to take the first step?"

Sehun's hand pause for a few seconds but continue his markups. "I assume you've already asked something similar like that of him?"

Baekhyun didn't reply but his silence confirms it nonetheless. Sehun continues, "It isn't about who should take the first step. It isn't about not forgiving each other. It's just the fact that we can't forgive ourselves. He doesn't know how to face me and I… I resent him for distancing himself, which drives me to resent myself more since I knew full well that it's not his fault."

"Then are you thinking it's your fault?"

Sehun didn't reply to that question. "I know what you're trying to do. Whether it's for the sake of friendship or out of a sense of responsibility as the Prime Minister of this Kingdom, I appreciate it. However, you should stop. I don't need a Prime Minister that meddles into my private affairs, especially if it does not effect the Kingdom." He pauses and looks up at Baekhyun, "Besides, I don't think you're the best person to be giving relationship advise seeing as you've not handled your own issues all these years. You of all people should know when it's impossible to go back to the way things were."

Sehun's words stung, but Baekhyun is used to it by now.

---

The sound of guzheng flow beautifully through the abandoned palace. The guzheng was one of the personal items that Yueyin brought along with her to the abandoned palace. She hasn't dare to play it due to the fear of the empress' guards outside the gate. However, after she has been forgotten by the people of the imperial palace, the guards at the gate seems to slack off since people rarely ever passes through that area. Yueyin would sometimes sit by the gate and chat with them and offer them guidance through their personal issues, the girls would share food with them, and on cold days they would offer the guards blankets and a fire to keep warm. Eventually, the girls won over the gate guards and they became "friends" with each other. Now, when Yueyin wants to play the guzheng, the guards don’t stop her and just pretends they haven't seen or heard anything. Yueyin knew that the area is isolated enough and the sound of the music isn't loud enough that it'll get herself and the guards into trouble with the empress. Sometimes when she misses her father or her sister, she couldn't help but want to express it through music. Other times, Ruyi or Xiaobai would request upbeat songs and they would dance to the rhythm. The guards outside also enjoys the music since their job to stand guard a place that no one frequents is boring.

Today was one of those days when she misses home dearly. She was set up under the shade of the large cherry blossom tree in the courtyard. Ruyi and Xaobai was listening at first but when they realized she needed some alone time they stepped away.

Unbeknown to the residents of the abandoned palace, two royal princes were exploring abandoned places in the imperial palace during their forced break time.

"I can't believe she locks us out of our own palaces. How is it that our own guards listen to her words over ours?!" Luhan complains.

Yixing chuckles, "You should know by now who really runs this palace. Feifei just means well."

"This is pure coercion. She's holding those reports hostage and threatening to burn them. What is wrong with our sister?"

"Er ge, you complain but you always do as she demands. Should I assume something is not right with you also?"

Luhan smacks Yixing's back playfully, "Something is obviously wrong with you as well then." He looks around and asks, "So you didn't want to go outside of the palace but come here instead?"

"If I go outside the palace, I would have to face the judging look on Tao's face. So, a walk around the palace will have to do. I was just walking mindlessly and I guess my feet led me here. You didn't have to join me though."

Luhan puts his arm around Yixing's shoulder, "Nonsense. I'm also locked out of my own palace, if I don't join you where would I go alone? Also, we need to strategize against the Empire's Princess. At this rate, we'll never get any work done."

"You know you'll never win that battle so why bother trying?" Yixing shakes his head amusedly at his older brother.

Luhan rolls his eyes, "Whose side are you on anyways?"

Yixing laughs and Luhan chuckles. It has been a while since they got the chance to chat and stroll leisurely like this. Yixing looks around the area as they continue their walk, "With the amount of servants inside the palace, I never thought I'll see such an unclean and isolated area like this."

Luhan nodded in agreement, "It's quite far from the main areas of the inner court. Perhaps it's due to it being unoccupied, the servants didn't bother with it."

"Royal Father doesn't have as many Consorts as former Emperors so I guess a lot of the inner palace areas like this was left unused. But don't you think this path is somewhat familiar? Did we perhaps travel it before?" Yixing asks.

"Shhh!" Luhan covers Yixing's mouth with his hand. Yixing wants to protest but seeing his second brother intently trying to listen to something got him to stay still. "Do you hear that?"

Yixing was about to shake his head but his ears finally picked up the faint sound of music. He nodded and Luhan removes his hand from his brother's mouth. They both walk towards the direction of the sound. When they can hear it a bit more clearly, they both look at each other with confusion.

"That's the sound of a guzheng… was this the path to the Cold Palace*?" Yixing asks.

Luhan shakes his head "No, the Cold Palace is in the other direction. Besides, I don't think Royal Father has sent any of his Consorts to the Cold Palace." He listens carefully to the sound again, "Regular servants wouldn't be able to play so skillfully and I doubt anyone of noble status would hang out in such an area like this."

The two of them let their curiosity led them closer towards the beautiful sound of music. Moments later they arrive at a lousy guarded palace. The two gate guards that was supposed to be standing guard were just sitting there, leaning relaxingly against the doors, enjoying the music. The two royal princes gave each other a puzzling look, wondering who could be occupying this place. They step forward to make their presence known to the guards. The guards jump up in surprise and was about to give their greetings, but the princes quickly put up their fingers to motion for them to keep quiet.

Luhan waves them over to where he and Yixing was standing. They question the guards but neither of them would provide the princes with answers. They just knelt on the floor asking for forgiveness. It looks like they were ordered by someone of high authority.

The two princes want to see who it is inside, the guards try to stop them but with one threatening glare from Luhan they both lower their heads and step aside. He and Yixing usually wouldn't pry into the business of the other Consorts, the Empress, the Emperor or the other Princes. However, this is such an odd occurrence and they both want to know who is the owner of such beautiful guzheng skill. They walk up to the gate and gently crack it open to peak inside.

Their eyes widen upon the sight of a beautiful young maiden sitting under the shade of a cherry blossom tree. The falling petals flutter lightly by the gentle wind as it rains down around her. The maiden's fingers gracefully dance on the guzheng's strings, producing the beautiful melody that pique their curiosity. They were both frozen in place by the stunning scenery.

They didn't realize the music ended a few minutes later and was still staring at Yueyin. She looks up from her guzheng and out of the corner of her eyes, she noticed the slightly open gate. She stood up from her seat and turn towards the gate to get a better look.

Her eyes widen in surprised when they landed upon two royal princes instead of the two gate guards, "Your Highnesses?"

 


Author's Notes:

*Cold Palace - a place where Empress or Consorts that made a big mistake, fell out of favor with the Emperor badly, or anger the Emperor but wasn't executed, gets demoted and locked up in this Cold palace to live out the rest of their days in solitude. Living conditions in the Cold Palace are usually terrible. It's the worst nightmare of any palace women. Empress Ziyi wanted to make the abandoned palace into a sort of Cold Palace for Yueyin to waste away her life in there…

Hope everyone has been doing well. I’m always grateful for your love and supports 😊

Thank you so much for the 8th upvote! & Welcome new subscribers!