Encounter

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 15

Encounter

“Please forgive us for our incompetence, we have failed to assassinated the Crown Prince” the lone survivor of the assassin group reported. He bowed his head low, feeling ashamed to have failed the mission. He’s also fearful of having to report the bad news to this powerful man in front of him. He keeps thinking that maybe he shouldn’t have returned. Maybe he should have just die on the mission like the rest of his group. 

While the assassin was accepting his fate, expecting death, the mysterious man didn’t say anything. A few minutes later he laughed out loud, surprising and confusing the assassin.

“Master?” the assassin asked.

“Do you think I’m blind? Do you think I need you to come back and report your failure when I can see the Crown Prince very much alive and even welcoming the ambassadors with my own eyes?”

“Master, please forgive me!”

The mysterious man let out a sigh “Forget it, get up” he commanded. As the assassin slowly stood up the man said “It wasn’t my plan to kill him yet anyways. It would have been a big disappointment if Wu Yifan die that easily, where would the fun be?” 

The assassin finally understood why only a few of them was sent on this mission. It seems, from the start this man  had planned for them to sacrifice their lives to set a larger scheme in motion. That day when he received the message from the pigeon, he had felt it was strange but he didn’t dare to question. After all, in his line of business following orders was the number one priority. Especially if an assassin had swear loyalty, he must follow through to the end. 

“You must have sustained some heavy injuries, go back and rest up. You will know when there’s a new task for you.”

The assassin bow to the man then left the room.

---

Junmyeon and Kyungsoo was enjoying some tea under a pavilion built over the lake in the main imperial garden. Upon seeing a smile spread across Kyungsoo’s face as the boy observes the fishes in the lake, Junmyeon ask “What’s going through your head?”

“This kingdom is such a beautiful and colorful place…” Kyungsoo pause then turn to look at Junmyeon, “which only makes me want to have it that much more.”

Junmyeon shakes his head “Kyungsoo, you need to be careful of what you say. We are in open space, anyone could have been listening in.”

Kyungsoo only smirks at him before turning back to observing the fishes. An hour later, when the two of them was about to head back to the embassy, they saw Yifan walk by and waved him over. 

“Crown Prince, where were you headed?” Junmyeon asked when Yifan enter the pavilion to greet them.

“I was looking for my sister. Never mind about that, I hope your stay in China has been pleasant. If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to let us know.” 

“Thank you for your hospitality” Junmyeon gave Yifan a slight bow and Yifan returned the gesture. “I was very impressed with your display of diplomatic skills at the discussion of the alliance terms.”

“I still have much to learn. If anyone was impressive, it was you ambassador Tanaka. You don’t seem much older than I am, yet your display of knowledge and confidence was beyond my level. May I ask what is your role in Japan?” Yifan asked.

Junmyeon smile and said “I am but a lowly advisor and was luckily selected by the King to be an ambassador. Amongst the Chinese Princes, you stood out the most to us Crown Prince. Your siblings don’t seem to be as dedicated and sincere towards the alliance as you are. No wonder, you were selected as the Crown Prince. The Emperor of China made a very wise decision, he must have entrusted much of his hopes on your dependable shoulders.”

Yifan visibly froze for a second at what Junmyeon said, but quickly recovered himself “I’m sure you must have heard about the first born rule of China. I was simply lucky to have been the first born. Don’t let my brothers fool you, they are all excellent men capable of supporting the empire.”

“Supporting?” Kyungsoo finally spoke up and when Yifan stare at him he smiled back in return. “If you’re looking for a girl about this tall, wearing fancier clothing than the maids. She passed by earlier sneaking to the other side of the garden with a man following behind.”

“Thank you ambassador Takahashi, I’ll be taking my leave then” Yifan left quickly, not wanting to deal with the strange ambassador.

“Interesting” Kyungsoo commented as he observes Yifan’s disappearing back.

“I think your strange behavior scared him off” Junmyeon said.

Kyungsoo tilted his head to the side and look at Junmyeon questioningly “Was I strange?”

Junmyeon could only shake his head at Kyungsoo then walk out of the pavilion, making his way to the palace’s gate. 

---

“You’ve been a bit different lately” Jongin said as he takes the teacup that Sehun just pour for himself and down it. 

“How so?” Sehun asked as he poured himself another cup.

“Well you’re not complaining about being forced on this trip anymore, and you’re not scowling at me all the time when you see me. What changed?”

“It’s just my new tactic against you hyung” Sehun replied.

“What new tactic?” Jongin questioned.

Sehun looks at him boredly, “Pretending you don’t exist.”

“Why you little brat” Jongin got Sehun in a playful choke hold but Sehun just picks up his tea cup and sips on it, demonstrating how he’s pretending Jongin doesn’t exist. 

Jongin tighten his hold “Tell the truth! What have you been up to?”

Sehun taps Jongin’s arms, signalling for him to let go so he can answer. “I’m just making the trip worthwhile. Haven’t you always told me to loosen up a bit and have fun?” he said as he massages his throat. 

Jongin eyes him suspiciously, “And you’re having fun without me?”

“Trust me, it’s not a game three people can play.”

---

“Assassins! Don’t let them get away! Hurry!” the residence’s manager yells out notifying the residence’s guards to go after the two fleeing assassins. The panicking manager hadn’t expected to find an assassin in his master’s room when he entered. He had quickly drawn the dagger hidden in his sleeves and threw it at the surprised assassin. Another thing the manager didn’t expect was there being an accomplice in the room. The accomplice exchange blows with him and quickly overwhelmed him. The accomplice knocks him out then quickly went over to help the injured assassin get away. The manager had gathered all his strength to yell out before passing out. 

Minseok carried a half-conscious Jun jumping from roof to roof. Although he hadn’t had the time to assess Jun’s injury but after exchanging some blows with the manager, Minseok can tell that he was skilled in martial arts. This only means that the injury is worse than he had hoped. Minseok can feel the blood oozing out more and more as he had his hand on Jun’s waist to help support him. Minseok can hear the guards chasing after them not too far behind and he tsk out of annoyance. Carrying an injured man is definitely slowing down his speed, but he cannot abandon Jun for he still needs him to keep up the act. 

Minseok cursed Junmyeon for the hundredth times for picking this inexperienced person to join him on this mission. He can never guess what goes through Junmyeon’s head, he always just follows orders without asking...but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t hate the man whenever he makes life harder for Minseok than it should be. Like this time, the order was to assassinate the now useless Chinese info broker who have been supplying information for the Japanese. Minseok could have done the mission alone but Junmyeon had specifically order that Jun joins him. Minseok guess it was probably to force him to learn how to work with a partner instead of alone all the time and to help Jun gain experience.  

Those guards were more persistent than Minseok thought. They had been chasing them all night and Minseok can see that dawn is coming soon. Supporting most of Jun’s weight now, he jumps off the rooftop into an alleyway that seems to be the backstreet of some houses. He was so focused on listening for the guards’ footsteps that he didn’t noticed the presence of the girl standing in the alleyway, staring at him as he landed. 

As some men that seems to be her houseworkers pushes a cart out of the back door of the house she was standing by, Minseok raised his sword at them with one hand while the other still supporting Jun. When the men saw Minseok, they immediately drop the cart and what they were carrying and rushes forward to shield in front of the girl. Minseok tries to quickly assess his situation to see which is a better way to escape. The residence’s guards were closing in from one direction and these people were blocking his path in the other direction. He was thinking if it’ll be faster to kill all these unlucky people, or to run back towards the guards’ direction and face them. 

About two hour ago, Yueyin had received an emergency request for help and supplies from the shelter her family had built and maintained. She had decided to take care of it herself and not wake her Father and Madame Lin. She asked a couple night shift house workers to help prep and load the supplies. By the time dawn was approaching, they had finished loading the cart with food, clothing, blankets and medical supplies. Yueyin had opened the back door and exited first while the house workers were finishing up with the cart. She was standing by the back door to her house when two figures in black clothing jumps down from the rooftop and landed not too far from her. 

Standing behind her house workers, Yueyin can see the troubled look in the suspicious person’s eyes. When the sound of footsteps heading their way from the other end of the alley got louder, she can see the person tighten his hand around the hilt of his sword. 

“Stop” Yueyin said as she made her way to the front from behind the house workers. They tried to stop her, but she smiles at them and told them it’s alright. She then faced Minseok and said, “We can help you.”

Minseok didn’t say anything, he only looks suspiciously at her. He continues to point his sword at them. 

“I understand that you cannot trust us who are strangers, but at this moment you only have two options. Out of the two, your best option is unfortunately the worst one for us isn’t it?” She said but Minseok still doesn’t answer. He continues to keep his guard up, but his heart is racing as the sound of footsteps coming their way gets louder. He knows he has to make a decision soon.

“Can we make a deal? If we help you to escape the people that are after you, can you spare our lives?” Yueyin ask. She added when he still doesn’t answer “You won’t be able to escape while carrying an unconscious person, and if you delay escaping any longer…he might not make it.”

Minseok doesn’t know why he’s still standing here listening to her when he could have just kill them all and continue on his way. But after hearing what she said he can see his options more clearly. Going after their lives will waste time and energy, she’s also right that with Jun as dead weight he won’t be able to escape unscathed. 

Minseok stares at Yueyin for another second or so then nodded.

 


Author's Notes:

I hope you're enjoying the story so far :) Thank you for subscribing, reading and commenting!