The Job Offer

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 22

The Job Offer

The whole capital city has been busy setting up for the Lantern Festival that finally arrived. On this day, families, friends and lovers would spend time eating, touring the festival and watch the fireworks together. Each house, each street and every bridge in the city would be deck out in lanterns. It’s definitely a fun event that Yixing feel Liufei will not want to miss. Usually on this day, the Chinese royal family would also dine together at a small family banquet so they’ve never gotten a chance to attend the festival outside of the palace’s walls. However, for some unknown reason, the Emperor had called it off this year.

Yixing and Luhan had met up to practiced martial arts that morning and discussed their plans to attend the lantern festival outside of the imperial palace. Yixing wanted to take Liufei with them but he hadn’t been able to find her anywhere. He had questioned Luhan to see if his brother had seen their sister around lately but Luhan also haven’t seen her around. Usually, Liufei would come and bother them randomly whenever she has free time, but lately she had been awfully quiet and haven’t stirred up any trouble. Yixing decided that he’ll just go over to her place and pick her up before he heads out in the evening to join Luhan at the palace’s gate.

Yixing also discussed with Luhan regarding letting Tao know of their royal identity. Although they haven’t known Tao for very long but they both felt that Tao was a trustworthy person. Both princes also feel that in order to become true friends, they should be treating each other with honesty. With that said, Yixing met up with Tao again for lunch alone since Luhan has to go dissolve the fight between their three younger brothers per the Emperor’s order.

The two of them were chatting as they make their way through the busy street. They both were deep in conversation when they heard someone calling out for Tao. They look towards the direction of the voice and saw a woman waving at them. Tao smiles and motion for Yixing to follow over to the woman.

“Mother, you’re done with work early today” Tao commented as he reaches out to take the bags his mother was carrying.

She nodded at him, “Since the Lantern Festival is tonight, the owner let everyone go home early.” She turns her attention to Yixing who bowed to her in greeting, “Who might this be?”

Tao immediately reply, “This is Xing, a friend of mine.”

“Greetings Madame Huang, it is an honor to meet the mother of my benefactor.”

“Benefactor?” Tao’s mother questioned.

“Yes, Tao saved my brother and I from a group of bandits outside of the city not too long ago.” Tao send a grateful glance towards Yixing for hiding the fact that those people were actually assassins instead of bandits. Over the years, Tao knew that if his mother ever senses danger then they would have to pack up and move. Tao knew that Yixing doesn’t know of this and had probably only did that to not worry a mother.

“Oh my! Bandits! Are you children alright?” Madame Huang said as she looks the two boys over for any sign of injuries.

“Mother, we’re fine. That was a while ago. Don’t worry ok?” Tao tries to reassure her and Yixing also nodded in agreement to help.

 She let out a sigh knowing that her son wasn’t going to tell her any more details. She’s glad that they’re alright and that Tao had made another friend. Xueyi thought back on the conversation she had with Master Wong and the decision to move into the capital city. Seeing the nervous joy on her son's face now makes her feel that the decision she made then was correct. "Were the two of you heading somewhere? Go on then, don't let me hold you off."

"We were just about to look for a place to sit down for lunch" Tao said.

Xueyi has been observing this new friend of Tao ever since the start of the conversation. She can see that he's a well manner and educated child. However, due to the history of Tao's higher class friends makes her a little uncomfortable. Although Tao is their benefactor but the fact that they've seen his martial arts skills makes her worry that they might just befriending him to used him. She doesn’t want history to repeat itself. She never wanted to see that heartbroken look on her son's face again. "Why don't you invite Xing home? I'll cook up a delicious lunch for the two of you" she suggested.

"Um…" Tao look nervously towards Yixing, unsure of what to say. He's happy hanging out with Yixing and Luhan but they weren't Xiaoyin. He didn't have the same amount of trust towards them. He had never thought of bringing them to his house because they were after all people of a different social class than he is. They haven't even been friends for that long, what if after seeing how poor Tao really is they will judge him and no longer wants to be his friends?

Tao was about to reject his mother's offer when Yixing spoke up, "Thank you for your kind offer Madame Huang, but I wouldn't want to bother you…"

"It's not a bother at all. Come on now, I'll lead the way" she cuts him off, determine to figure Yixing out.

The three of them were heading to Tao's house before Tao could even say anything more. 

When they've arrived, Yixing did react but not out of disgust but out of surprised and concern. As a prince, he grew up in luxury and although he had seen poor villages before on his missions, but to see an area in such a condition inside the very prosperous capital city shocks him a bit. Tao's face darkens, thinking that Yixing does mind the huge difference between them. But to Tao's surprise, not only did Yixing helps out with the various tasks that his mother ask to prep for the lunch, he also help with fixing up the roof and the fence. Looking at how dirty Yixing's clothes got, makes Tao feel a bit guilty. By now he can guess what his mother was up to by inviting Yixing home for lunch. A typical person from the higher class could have pretend but someone who happily and earnestly helps out and not minding the dirty environment must be a good person who doesn't mind social status.

After Yixing passes all her tests with flying colors, Xueyi happily feeds the two boys. She's happy that she didn't have to kick Yixing out of the house if he had showed any of that hateful high class brat attitude.

Before leaving, Yixing pull Tao aside. "Tao, there's something I want to tell you. Can you send me out?"

Tao looks towards his mother who smiles and nodded at him, "Tao, send Xing back to the main street. It's his first time here, he might get lost on the way back."

Tao nodded back at his mother, "I'll be back soon to help you set up for tonight."

On the way, Tao thank Yixing for his help today and ask what it is that he needed to tell him. Yixing slow his pace and waited until they're at an area that seem to be void of any other people around. He stops and turn to Tao, "Sorry Tao, Er ge and I hadn't meant to lie to you…it's just that with who we are we couldn't…" Yixing trails off, not sure how to tell Tao.

"With who you guys are?" Tao punch Yixing's shoulder playfully, "Stop being mysterious, just spit it out."

"My name is Wu Yixing and Han's is Wu Luhan. We are the second and third prince to the empire" Yixing spits it out like Tao wanted and then he kind of regret it when he saw Tao's shocked face. "Please forgive us? We..we couldn't tell you before for obvious reason…"

"So why tell me now?"

"Because although it hasn't been long since we've known each other but both Er ge and I felt that you are an honorable and trustworthy person. You are someone we truly wanted to be friends with."  

"Royalties…I've befriended royalties…" Tao still shock and trying to wrap what he had just learned around his head. "This whole time I just thought you two were sons of some wealthy noble who have a lot of wives and one of them sent assassins after you so that she can have her own son inherit all of the wealth."

Yixing laughs at Tao, "You got quite an imagination. It's true my father does have a lot of wives but the assassins part…I hope it's not true but I can't say it's not a possibility. Investigation is still underway."

Tao looks at Yixing up and down then gasp, "I had the third prince fix my roof and my fence!"

"Tao! Get over it! Can’t you just act normal like before?"

"Um…sure, if you promise you won't execute my mother and I for making you work and dirtying your clothes."

"You know I wouldn't do that. Is that the type of person you think I am?"

"Ah..no..it's just that…never mind. Sorry."

"Tao, we will still be the Xing and Han you know. We just wanted there to be no big secrets between the three of us. As our good friend, you deserve to know the truth." Yixing said, sounding a bit pleading. He didn't want to lose Tao. Ever since knowing Tao, he can sense that Tao is a bit sensitive towards social status. After today, he can see why. But to Yixing who wholeheartedly respects Tao for his bravery and martial arts skills, social class didn't matter. "There's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

Tao stares at him wide eyes, "There are more secrets?!" he's not sure how much more he can take.

"No more secrets, promised. Don't overthink this alright? It's just that after seeing the condition of your family today, I was wondering if you'll be interested in taking up a job?"

"I do have jobs…" Tao mumbled then look into Yixing's eyes, searching for any hint of malicious intent.

"But they don't pay too well right? Er ge and I would like to help you, we can send in a recommendation for you to become a royal guard. If you're interested, you can apply immediately for the job."

Tao shook his head, "Thank you for your kind offer but that's not a place I want to be in. Most royal guards have to live in the imperial palace don't they? Also, I heard there are a lot of rules to follow in there. I have to be with my mother, we only have each other. Although it pays well, it's just not a place for me."

Yixing nodded in understanding then let out a sigh, "Er ge was right, he didn't think you are someone who would want to take the royal guard job in the palace."

"You two were already thinking of offering me jobs even before…today?"

"Yes, we wanted to see if you would be interested in offering your talent to the empire" Yixing explained.

Tao smiles, happy to know that they were just thinking from the stand point of a prince and not from an evil stand point that just wanted to make use of him. They trusted him enough to reveal their identity to him and asked for his opinions instead of forcing him to take up a job he would have hated. Tao was about to thank and reject him again when Yixing spoke up.

"How about becoming my personal guard? I promised the pay will be high and you can be exempt from all the imperial palace rules and etiquettes inside my palace. I can give you a pass so that you can come and go from the palace whenever you want. You can also return home every evening to be with Madame Huang. As long as you don't wander to other parts of the palace without being summoned, you will be good. What do you think?" Yixing offered.

Tao thought about it for a few minutes. It's true that this offer is very good. If he say that he didn't care about the high pay then that would be a lie. He had taken on many jobs so that he can lighten his mother's load. He wanted to take on more because all the current ones are low paying jobs, but the higher pay ones wouldn't hire him due to his social status. He did get offers from some nobles to work for them but he hated even the thought of working for people who would insult him and looking down on him every single day. But Yixing and Luhan are different. They treated him the same from the beginning till now and showed that they truly wanted to help someone like him.

"Alright, I'll be your personal guard."

---

The night of the Lantern Festival:

The Japanese ambassadors has booked the whole highest floor of a restaurant that’s located in the most crowded place in the city. Junmyeon pour wine into Kyungsoo’s cup as the latter pokes at Jun’s wound.

“Just how did you qualify for the assassin group?” Kyungsoo asked Jun.

“I’m..I’m so sorry…” Jun muttered, grimacing every time Kyungsoo apply pressure to his still healing wound.

Kyungsoo makes his way back to his seat at the table full of food. “Useless ones should have been abandoned. Don’t you agree Minseok?” Kyungsoo directs his question at the figure standing outside on the balcony.

Junmyeon shook his head at Kyungsoo, “If he agrees with you, he wouldn’t have wasted effort to save Jun.” Junmyeon picks up the wine cup and handed it to Kyungsoo, “Now, if you can’t be nice to my subordinates then you are not allowed to use them in the future.”

Jongdae scoffs at Junmyeon’s comment. He was leaning against a corner of the room and downing a jar of wine as he listens in on the conversation. He’s not surprised anymore at how Junmyeon gets to speak to Kyungsoo differently than the rest of them, but sometimes it still makes him uncomfortable. He had known Kyungsoo longer than all of them but even he has to remember his place at all times in Kyungsoo’s presence. Junmyeon came into the picture later but was immediately given special treatment. Overtime, Junmyeon did gain Jongdae’s respect and trust but that didn’t mean he doesn’t question Junmyeon’s relationship with Kyungsoo.

“He’s of no use to Kyungsoo anyway. It’s just that none of us understand why you would have the most useless one in the assassin group become a burden for Minseok” Jongdae commented lazily.

Junmyeon smiles at Kyungsoo, “Is that what you want to know?”

Kyungsoo shrugs, “Explain when you feel like it.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes at the obvious favoritism. He then makes his way to the balcony, picking up another jar of wine on his way. He offers the wine to Minseok who was leaning against the railing and gazing down at the busy street below. Minseok took the wine and said, “If you’re all just going to be idle chatting then I would like to be excuse,” loud enough for the other three in the room to hear.

“It has been so long since we last got to hang with you. Don’t be such an iceberg every time,” Jongdae commented then down another gulp of wine.

 


Author's Notes:

I hope you guys don't mind the amount of social status being mention in the story. Please understand that this story is set in a world and time where social status is a very big deal. Especially so for Tao who grew up being negatively impacted by his low social status.

Sorry for the extra long wait. Merry late Christmas! and Happy late New Year Everyone! I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday.