Unwelcomed

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 36

Unwelcomed

Yueyin and Ruyi was sitting in a carriage, heading towards the imperial palace. Meiyin had wanted to come along but Yueyin refused to let her go. She had told Meiyin to wait until she's settled in before coming to visit. Yueyin grips her dress anxiously as they are getting closer to the palace.

Ruyi noticed and reaches over to lay her hand over Yueyin's, "It'll be alright. Whatever it is that we may have to face in there, we'll face it together," she comforted Yueyin.

Yueyin send Ruyi a grateful look. She then looks down at Ruyi's hand on top of hers, "Ruyi… it isn't too late now for you to turn back."

Ruyi shakes her head, "Yueyin, I've made up my mind. There's really nothing left for me out here. If we pass by a close by street or if I hear similar noises, I can't help but suffers a sleepless night due to nightmares of what happened. I would rather go with you into the palace and escape from all of those triggers. I heard that the imperial palace is a beautiful and grand place. For a girl like me who was once a beggar, it's like a dream come true to be able to see the palace."

"Ruyi…"

Ruyi let out a sigh and drop her happy pretenses, "I know you don't want to get me involve in what you're planning to do. When everyone was trying to convince you to take Xiaolan along, I saw how unhappy and hesitant you were. You couldn't just tell them that you didn't want to involve her and take away her freedom, right? Your weak reasoning of wanting Xiaolan to take good care of Meiyin wasn't convincing anyone. If I hadn't jump in to volunteer to go with you, do you think they would have let you step out of the door? Judging from what I know about you, I could guess you were up to something and after all that your family has done for me, I just couldn't let you go alone." She grabs both of Yueyin's hand and look into her eyes, "Yueyin, just let me help you. I will do everything that I can and I'll even put my life on the line if needed to help you. Can't you trust me and let me help you?"

"Of course I trust you. However, Ruyi won't you rethink about it? You know that once we pass through that palace gate, there's a chance that we'll never be able to step out of it ever again. You still have your whole life in front of you. You can stay at the Zhang residence until you're over your trauma, and then you can rebuild your life and start over. Meiyin and Madame Lin will help you…"

Ruyi cuts her off, "Yueyin, this is what I want to do. If you won't let me go with you, I'll run back to the Zhang residence and tell Meiyin and Madame Lin the real reason why you agreed to marry the Crown Prince. If you're alright with watching Meiyin breaking down the palace walls to drag you out, then you can stop this carriage right now and kick me off."

Yueyin was a bit surprised with Ruyi's words and fell into silence for a minute. She thought it through and let out a sigh, "I didn't realize that you were this stubborn and strong-will. You're a lot more open and outspoken now than when we've first met."

Ruyi's eyes darkens a bit before she smiles sadly at Yueyin, "I don't even remember what I was like anymore. I could only remember all the times that I struggle to survive. I guess no matter what I've been through, a part of me will still always be that girl I used to be."

Yueyin was confused but she didn't have the time to question before the carriage stops. The guards at the palace's gate was checking the carriage and their passes. After their carriage passes through the gate, the speed of the carriage was considerably slow. About half an hour later, their carriage stops again.

"Greetings Lady Zhang, I am Xiaorong and I was tasked with waiting for your arrival and to guide you to your palace. May I request for you to leave the carriage as we will need to walk on feet from here," the maid stood outside of the carriage to greet Yueyin.

Yueyin and Ruyi gets off of the carriage. Xiaorong greeted them again and instructs for two eunuchs that was with her to carry Yueyin's luggage. They followed Xiaorong through the inner palace, passing by many scenic places. When they pass by the imperial garden, Ruyi let out a gasp and said, "Yueyin, look how grand and beautiful this garden is!"

Yueyin smile and nodded in agreement. Neither her nor Ruyi expected for Xiaorong to stop suddenly and turn around to reprimand Ruyi. "You are Lady Zhang's personal maid. How could you casually call out your Lady's name? This is the imperial palace, please refrain from acting as you please like you would outside. You must refer to her as My Lady, and once she officially marries the Crown Prince, she's to be refer as Your Highness. If you are ever caught making the same mistake again, you will be punished heavily."

Ruyi glance nervously at Yueyin, who sends her an apologetic look. Ruyi look back towards Xiaorong and nodded, "I understand. I will be more careful from now on Miss Xiaorong."

Xiaorong let out a sigh and shakes her head in disappointment, "It looks like I will also need to teach you proper etiquettes. Who would have thought servants from noble houses now a days are so lacking." She then turns around and continue to lead them forward. Since this incident, many maids and eunuchs that passes by them, would whispers and giggles at them for the rest of the way. Though Yueyin called it whispers, but it was purposefully loud enough for her and Ruyi to hear.

"Isn't that the girl that's to become the future Princess Consort? She only has one maid with her?"

"Shhh… did you not hear how much the Empress rejects this betrothal?"

"Is that why only a fourth rank maid and two eunuchs received her today? The Empress must really dislike her."

"How can someone who used her own father's death to rise up in society be like by anyone?"

"I heard some guards said her reputation outside the palace wasn't bad but looks like it's just false rumors. How can such a pretentious girl receive such good fortune to become the wife of the Crown Prince?"

The whispers went on near them until they reached their destination. Ruyi was unhappy with the things she heard and had thought that Yueyin must be even more uncomfortable than her. She looks over to Yueyin but was relieved to see a small smile on Yueyin's face through her semi sheer veil. Ruyi told herself to do better in controlling her own emotions, she cannot let herself be affected by something so small and possibly making Yueyin look bad.

When they reached one of the palaces near the imperial garden. The two guards standing in front of the gate saw them and immediately open the gate for them. Once inside, Yueyin can see five maids and five eunuchs line up in the courtyard and bowing down on the ground to greet her.

"Please get up, there's no need to be so formal," Yueyin told them.

Xiaorong turn around to face her with an unhappy face, "Lady Zhang, they are servants and it is their job to greet and serve you. As the Crown Prince's fiancé, please act with more dignity."

Yueyin sigh internally, it looks like life isn't going to be easy for her and Ruyi in this palace. She came to this palace with a goal, this little bullying act isn't much in her eyes. "Thank you Xiaorong for all your help today. Is there anything else you need to let me know? If not, I would like to take a look around and settle in."

Xiaorong smirked, she didn't think that this girl was so easy to pick on. If it had been one of the masters from other palaces, they would have her whipped for talking to them this way and with such attitude. It is good to have backing. It's this girl's own fault for being dislike by the empress. "I will drop by again to teach you and your maid palace etiquettes. If you're not summoned, you better not wander around the inner palace. No one will take responsibility for you getting lost. I'll take my leave now," Xiaorong turn and left without bowing properly to Yueyin. The other maids and eunuchs look at each other, wondering why Xiaorong was so daring towards this palace's new owner.

Yueyin and Ruyi was about to head inside the main quarter when they heard a loud slapping noise and Xiaorong's painful yelp. Everyone quickly turn around to see Liufei standing there staring down at the fallen Xiaorong, who was clutching her face and crying.

"A lowly maid like yourself dared to act so rudely?" Liufei question Xiaorong.

"Your Highness! I didn't act rude to Lady Zhang. I don't know why I made you angry, but please forgive me, Your Highness!" Xiaorong cry as she begs Liufei. All the other servants also knelt down low on the floor, too scared of the princess' anger to even sneak a peak.

"Still dared to lie in front of me?" Liufei turn towards Ruyi, "You, come and explain to her how she has rudely acted towards your master."

Yueyin and Ruyi has been standing there stunned by Liufei's sudden appearance. When called out, Ruyi look towards Yueyin for permission and then step towards Liufei. She bows and greet Liufei, "Your Highness, Miss Xiaorong had said that the maid from My Lady's house was lacking and that My Lady have no dignity. I was indeed lacking but even without knowledge of proper palace etiquettes, I don't think it was right for Miss Xiaorong to act and say such things to My Lady. She insulted and ridicule My Lady in front of other servants like this… what would happen if other servants also look down on My Lady and think that it's alright for them to treat her like Miss Xiaorong did? Your Highness, please help My Lady."

"Lies! How dared you accused me of such crimes?!" Xiaorong screamed at Ruyi.

Liufei glared at Xiaorong, "Accused you? I was standing outside and saw everything! Do you think that just because you have some backing, you can do whatever you want?!" she turns towards the gate and call in some guards, "Take this maid out and give her fifteen whips for her rudeness."

"Your Highness! You can't do this! I am a fourth ranked maid! You cannot accuse and punish me without solid proofs!" Xiaorong struggle against the guards' hold.

"Solid proof? I am all the proof that's needed. Even if Royal Mother is here herself, I will still have you punish. With just a little backing, a small ranked maid like yourself dared to act that way towards the Crown Prince's fiancé? I'll have you know, even if this whole Empire rejects it, as long as Royal Father continue to support this betrothal, she will become the Princess Consort and my sister in-law." Liufei look at the guards and told them, "Take her away, whip her thirty times and cut her rank to seventh!"

Xiaorong's eyes widen and she continue to kick and scream as the guards drag her away. When Liufei turn back towards her, Yueyin quickly bow to greet the princess properly. She hadn't expected for Liufei to show up and helped her. She was surprised but grateful towards the princess. Liufei quickly eases Yueyin from her bow and turn back to Ruyi, "Remember that you are the personal maid of the future Princess Consort. You do not need to be so polite to other servants even if they have a ranking. You have yet to get your own official rank but it's usually third rank and up, so learn to protect yourself and your master well." After Ruyi nodded, Liufei dismissed everyone and drag Yueyin inside. 

Once inside, Liufei excitedly hugs Yueyin. "I've been waiting for so long to see you again! Did you know that your palace is close to mine? From now on, we'll be able to see each other often! Although, once you marry into Fan ge's palace it won't be as convenient but that won't stop me!"

"Princess! Hold on! Please calm down!" Yueyin yell, trying to be heard over the princess' excitement. Liufei let go of her and stare at Yueyin expectantly, waiting for her to speak. Yueyin takes off her face veil and smile at Liufei, "It is good to see you again Princess. Thank you for helping me earlier… but isn't thirty whips too much? She'll end up heavily injured and…"

Liufei was in awe of Yueyin's beauty once she took off her veil. She hadn't gotten a chance to see neither of the Zhang sisters' face before. Liufei recall back to the gossips that she had heard about them when she sneaked out with Yixing and Luhan. Liufei was now even more happy with her royal father's decision than before, such a beauty will be a good match for her handsome brother. Her mind draw back to what Yueyin was saying and quickly cut her off, "Don't worry about that maid. As you've heard, she had backings otherwise she wouldn't have dared to act that way towards you. With the person that's backing her up, the guards will know to not whip her too hard. All the servants in this imperial palace works that way. They have to give face to the person that's backing her up, so thirty whips would feel more like fifteen."

"I see."

Liufei narrowed her eyes suspiciously at Yueyin, "Where is the girl that dared to stand up to the Empress at the Flower Viewing event? How could you let someone like that maid bully you?"

"I just didn't want to start up any kind of trouble, that much I can still bear."

"Just how much can you bear? If you let them get away with something small, they'll keep pushing your limit and try something bigger next time. Are you planning to let them continue to bully you until you can't take it anymore?" Liufei sigh and pull Yueyin over to a chair and sit her down, "Anyways, I am glad to see that you are in good health. When I heard about your father, I was very worried. Is Meiyin also doing well?"

"Thank you, Princess. My sister is doing well. Once I've settled in here, I'll send for her and you can meet with her then."

"That sounds good. From now on, should you ever need anything don't hesitate to let me know. You are my friend and my sister in-law, don't ever let anyone bully you. Also, it is a bit different in here than it probably is outside. So, when needed don't be too kind to these servants. Loyalty in this palace is very scarce, if they ever find a higher backing than you, they will abandon and betray you without a second thought. You have to be extra careful."

Hearing this, Ruyi send Yueyin an uncomfortable and worry look. Yueyin could only send her a reassuring smile. Yueyin knew, there was no backing out of this now. She'll face whatever comes her way and will stop at nothing to find out the truth behind her father's death.

---

Yifan has been sitting in his royal mother's place for what feels like an hour now. She has been going on about her dislike of Zhang Weimin and her disapproval towards the betrothal of his and the eldest young miss Zhang. Yifan knew since young that his mother has a grudge towards Zhang Weimin due to him rejecting her when she went to recruit him to aid his royal father back then. His mother was a prideful person and she didn't take such rejection very well. Since young, whenever he had come back from a tutoring session with Weimin, she would act very unhappy and told him to forget everything he had been taught by that man. Yifan had to pretend to agree with her to appease her, but he had deep respect for his Zhang laoshi like all of the other princes. He had always thread carefully in front of her and never even dared to mention Weimin's name. This is why he was very surprised when he saw the Zhang sisters' name on the flower viewing guests list.

"Yifan? Are you listening?" Ziyi asks.

Yifan bring his attention back to his royal mother, "Yes, Royal Mother."

Ziyi let out a sigh. She knew her son's mind was obviously elsewhere. He doesn't seem to think the matter of his marriage is very important. "Anyways, even if we can't do much about it right now but I promise I'll help you break off this engagement. I just need you to avoid meeting that girl, so that everyone can see your disapproval in this betrothal."

"Is it wise to go against Royal Father like this?"

"How can that man be call a father when he doesn't even think for his own son's future?! He only knows how to favor that woman's son and uses you to pay off his own debt!" she said angrily.

Yifan let out a sigh, "Royal Mother, please lower your voice. It won't be good if Royal Father heard what you said."

She slams her teacup down on the table, "So what if he heard?! It's better if he did! If he had love you as much as he love that Luhan, then he wouldn't have force this on you. That Royal Father of yours doesn’t even feel an ounce of guilt towards you and I as he told me he'll let Luhan choose his own beneficial match! He said you can choose to marry that Zhang girl or give up your Crown Prince position! Would he have said the same things if that woman's son was the Crown Prince instead?!"

Yifan's eyes widen upon hearing what his royal mother just said. Had his royal father really said for him to give up his crown prince position? He didn't want to believe this but he doesn't see a reason why his mother would lie in anger like this over something like that.

Yifan stood up from his seat and laugh out loud, "How heartbreaking… a peaceful truce amongst our royal family? Caring for my royal siblings when I'm emperor?? What was I thinking? Such childish wishes…. so unrealistic…"

Ziyi was surprised by her son's sudden laugh and was a bit confused by his words, "Yifan?"

He turns to leave, not wanting his royal mother to see the sadness and disappointment on his face. "Don't worry, I'll not meet with Zhang Yueyin as you wish."

---

After getting punished, Xiaorong went crying and complaining to Xiaoming. Xiaoming comforted her and told her to let someone else teaches the palace etiquettes to Yueyin, since it wouldn't be good if the princess sees Xiaorong's face around Yueyin again. Xiaoming also told her that there's a good way to get revenge.

Later that night, Xiaorong went to Yueyin's palace. She stood outside the gate and didn't enter. She asked the guard at the gate to inform Ruyi to come out and meet her. Yueyin was already in bed so Ruyi went out to meet Xiaorong alone.

"Why did you ask to meet me at this hour?" Ruyi question her.

"Your attitude sure changed quickly. Weren't you still calling me Miss Xiaorong this morning?"

"The Princess has told me that I do not need to be polite towards a seventh ranked maid. If you have something to say then say it. If not, then go back where you came from."

Xiaorong tsk angrily, unhappy with how someone like Ruyi dared to act so haughty in front of her. "Don't worry, I will not waste anymore of your time. I am here to let you know that I will not be teaching you and your Lady palace etiquettes. Someone else will be send here to take over that task. Also, your master needs to go greet the Empress tomorrow morning at eight. If I didn't have to come inform you of this, I wouldn't even want to be anywhere near here!"

"Thank you for the information. I am happy to hear that we will not be meeting you again," Ruyi said then turn to go back inside and informed the other maids in the palace.

The next morning, Ruyi was waken up at six by one of the palace maids and was told to prep for Yueyin later. After an hour of preparing water, clothes and breakfast, Ruyi went to Yueyin's room to wake her up at seven. Ruyi and the maid that woke her up, Xiaobai, helped dressed Yueyin and prepare her for the meeting with the empress. Yueyin left her own place early so that she can be at the empress' palace early to show her respect. An eunuch in her palace led the way there and he left after she arrived.

Yueyin asked one of the eunuchs outside to help her inform the empress and ask for permission to enter. The eunuch's expression wasn't happy and told her, "The Empress has ordered for you to kneel out here as punishment for being late."

"Late? But it is not yet eight?" Yueyin asked as she was confused. Ruyi was also just as confused. Xiaorong clearly told her that the greeting time was eight.

"Lady Zhang, it might be normal for you to greet your elders at eight outside the palace. However, it is custom to greet the Empress every morning at six in the palace. You were informed, yet you arrived late. The Empress gave you leniency until six thirty but you still did not arrive, she had no choice but to give you punishment or it'll set a bad example for others. Please carry out your punishment. I have been tasked to watch over you during this time," the eunuch explained.

"We were informed that it was at eight! If we had known that it was at six, we wouldn't have come this late. How could…" Ruyi said frustratingly.

The eunuch cut her off, "How could anyone mistakenly informed you that it's at eight? Every single individual in this palace knows the correct time. Since you've purposefully come late, please own up to your fault and accept your punishment."

Ruyi wanted to argue more as she felt that they were wronged, but Yueyin reaches out to stop her. "We understand. Thank you, I will accept my punishment," she said to the eunuch and then kneel down in front of the empress' palace's gate. Ruyi also knelt down behind her and the eunuch stood to the side to watch over them. Many passing servants saw and quietly gossip and laughed at them. Xiaorong sneaked a peak from afar and laughed to herself, happy that she got her revenge.

Inside the empress' main quarter, the empress herself was enjoying tea atop her throne while other consorts chat amongst themselves. When an eunuch came in to inform them that Yueyin has arrived and was kneeling outside, the consorts in the room laughed out loud. They all start to badmouth Yueyin, in hope of making the empress happy and showing that they're on her side.

"How can a proper noble young miss like her be so disrespectful? She was clearly informed of the time and yet deliberately show up late? Just who managed to raised such a girl?" Wen Zhixia, mother of the fifth prince, said angrily.

"It's frustrating to think someone like that will marry the Crown Prince. I feel so terribly sorry for the Crown Prince," Zhu Jinglin, mother of the sixth prince, said as she dabs at the fake tears from her eyes with a handkerchief.

"She hasn't even officially married the Crown Prince yet and she's already being this disrespectful. Imagine when she actually becomes the Princess Consort and the future Empress. Just how will she treat Her Majesty and us?" Jiang Leiyi, mother of the seventh prince, said and take a sip of her tea.

Ziyi sits there and enjoy her tea in silence as she happily listens to the words of these consorts. The more people hate and reject Zhang Yueyin, the more likely the emperor will be pressured into breaking the betrothal. The three consorts continue to badmouth Yueyin until about thirty minutes later, they all stop when Yang Yuyan, mother of the third prince, spoke up.

"Your Majesty, while it is true that Lady Zhang was at fault for being late, but perhaps you should have listened to her reasons first? You've punished her without giving her a chance to explain, this is damaging to your own reputation as a just Empress. I think that this much punishment is enough for a first-time mistake, perhaps it's best to forgive her now before the Emperor hear of this. The servants also tend to gossips, while she's not yet officially part of the royal family, but it'll still be damaging to the royal family's image."

Ziyi narrowed her eyes suspiciously at Yuyan. While this consort Yang has never openly opposed her before, but Ziyi never felt like she can get Yuyan to stand on her side. It is known that consort Yang does not compete for the emperor's love, yet she still received most of the emperor's attention and care. Taizao always seems to value Yuyan's insights and opinions more than any other consorts of his. This Yuyan usually doesn't say much when she comes to greet Ziyi, yet today she spoke up for someone she doesn't even know. Ziyi wonder if consort Yang is finally showing her true colors and choose to stand with the emperor's decision on this betrothal. What would be in it for her and the third prince?

While Ziyi was wondering about all of this, the other consorts were shaken at the mention of the emperor. They were afraid that the emperor would be mad at them if he heard that they sided with the empress and openly bully his chosen daughter in-law. Losing the emperor's favor is the number one thing all consorts are afraid of, so they immediately switch side and start to ask the empress to pardon Yueyin.

"Your Majesty, like Consort Yang said, since it's her first time making a mistake maybe she should be given another chance to prove herself," Consort Zhu said.

Consort Wen nodded in agreement, "It'll show her how benevolent you are and she'll be grateful to you. I'm sure she has learned her lesson and will behave better in the future."

"That's right, that's right. It isn't good to have the Emperor be bothered by something so small right? Also, you shouldn't give her a reason to break the good relationship between you and the Emperor," Consort Jiang said.

Ziyi grips her teacup tightly and glare at Yuyan, who just calmly drinks her own tea. Ziyi takes in a deep breath to calm her anger since she has no other choice but to let Yueyin go this time, "Very well, it is like you said sisters. I must give her another chance. Since her parents were incapable of educating her correctly, I just wanted to help them educate her a little so that she'll be fitting for her future role." Ziyi then turn to Xiaoming who was standing by her side, "Xiaoming, go and inform Lady Zhang that she's pardon from her punishment. Tell her to return to her own place and think through her own mistake. Also, tell her that she doesn't need to come greet me every morning. I do not have the good fortune of accepting the daily greetings of the Emperor's benefactor's daughter."

---

"Your Highness, why did you spoke up to help Lady Zhang earlier? You haven't met her before, why risk offending the Empress to help her?" Yuyan's personal maid asks as she walk a step behind Yuyan. They were on their way back to Yuyan's palace after the daily greeting session with the empress.

"She's but an unfortunate child who recently lost her father. I just didn't have the heart to see it in front of me and not do anything about it. Don't you think the Emperor is caring yet cruel? He wants to take care of the girl in her father's place, but he doesn't know that he's subjecting her to a terrible life inside this inner palace. The Empress is so against the betrothal, I'm afraid the poor girl might not survive until the wedding day."

"I thought you helped her because she's the daughter of our Third Royal Prince's laoshi," Yuyan's maid whisper.

Yuyan smile and lower her voice, "That's also one of the reasons. He was so heartbroken over his laoshi's death. I worried for his health. Thankfully, since Luhan's visit he seems to be doing better."

"Our Third Royal Prince and the Second Royal Prince are very close to each other."

"Siblings should be that way. All these royal children, if they were born to a normal family, perhaps they would have a happier life. I hope Luhan's and Yixing's relationship will never change," Yuyan said as she turns a corner and continue heading back to her palace.

---

Yueyin and Ruyi supports each other as they lightly limp their way back to their palace. They were thankful that they didn't have to kneel much longer, otherwise they wouldn't have even been able to stand up let alone walk all the way back to their own place.

Once they settle down in a chair, the other maids and eunuchs quickly bring in some ice, towels and medicine for the two of them. Ruyi look towards Yueyin, clearly questioning her about these other servants' behavior. Yueyin nodded lightly towards Ruyi and told Xiaobai to call in all of the maids, eunuchs and guards in this palace. Once they all gathered, she observes them for a few minutes without saying anything. She can see that all of them were nervous and some are even shaking. It's obvious they knew what happened.

"It seems all of you knew the correct time to greet the Empress, yet you let Ruyi think that it was at eight. Even when she informed you last night when she received the information, none of you spoke a word to correct her. I want to know why," Yueyin said, eyes looking from one person to another.

They all glance towards one another, but no one dared to speak up. Yueyin look towards Xiaobai last, "Xiaobai, do you have nothing to say to me and Ruyi?"

Xiaobai bite her lips nervously and didn't dare to look up at Yueyin the whole time. When she hears Yueyin call her out, she was startle and immediately kneel down. "My Lady, please don't punish us! We are the lowest servants in the imperial palace. We are not allowed to say a word about anything we see, and we have no right to question what the higher up wants to do. We can easily lose our lives even if we don't make any mistake! Also… also… everyone was saying that you'll only be here temporarily so… so we…"

"So you don't feel the need to help me, and thought that it's best to just stay out of their way and protect your own lives?"

Xiaobai didn't answer but she didn't need to. The way she and the rest lowered their heads even more was clear that they all thought the same. Yueyin let out a sigh and lean back on her chair. She was frustrated but she didn't have the right to blame them. They were all just trying to survive. She can't just show up here and expects some sort of good will from them at the risk of their own lives. Their trusts and loyalty, she will have to earn. The bullying, she will still have to face. This was what she signed up for so she only got herself to blame.

"I understand," Yueyin said.

The servants were expecting punishments but was caught by surprised with Yueyin's response. They all look up nervously at her. Yueyin sit up straight then shows them a sincere look and told them, "I don't know what the future will be like, but for the moment, I will be staying here. I am the current owner of this palace and I will do my best for its residents. I will not demand for your loyalty as that is something only yourselves can decide to give. All I will ask… is a deal that is based on the means of survival. As you can see, I am an unwelcome guest in this imperial palace. Based off what Xiaobai said earlier, I assumed all of you also don't consider yourselves as valuable residents of it. Due to different circumstances, we all ended up in here. I hope we can work together and help each other survive for as long as we can. I offer you the protection of my noble linage and the promise of my future. In return, I hope you can offer me all of your knowledge of this imperial palace and your cooperation when needed. If we all survive until after I officially become the Princess Consort, I promise that all of you will be given a promotion in ranks and a permanent spot in the Crown Prince's palace. I know that this all might just sound like empty promises right now, so it's understandable if any of you wishes to leave right now. I am sure that you will not get into any trouble if you express to them that you do not wish to work for someone like me."

They all stared at her with wide eyes. It's the first time since they started working in this imperial palace that someone has talked to them properly this way. She wasn't demanding and terrifying like most other masters. She's actually asking servants like them for a working relationship to survive. As a master, she didn't need to care about them let alone offer them protection. Also, many servants of all rankings always strive hard to be able to work for the emperor's, the empress' and the crown prince's palace. A promise of a permanent position in the crown prince's palace from the future princess consort… is an extremely tempting offer. They all thought that this is a great deal for them since what she asks for in return isn't much compare to what she's offering.

Xiaobai was the first one to act. Since she was already kneeling, she straightens herself out and give Yueyin a proper deep bow. "Lady Zhang, I sincerely offer you my service!" Xiaobai said.

The other servants also followed suit. They were standing so they all knelt down, bow to Yueyin and said in unison, "Lady Zhang, we sincerely offer you our services!"

---

"Yifan, head to Ningzhou Province and take care of the taxation and agricultural problems that they're facing. Gather some agricultural experts in the city and take them with you. Report back once a solution to the problem has been found," Taizao said as he handed Yifan a report of Ningzhou province's recent agriculture.

Yifan and Luhan was summoned to Taizao's palace in the late afternoon for new missions. Luhan was glancing around, wondering where Yixing is. Usually, Taizao tends to send the crown prince on a mission alone and the other princes are always sent off in pairs. Last mission, Luhan worked with Nianzu - his youngest brother - and found that they don't work as well together as he had with Yixing. He was hoping to be able to work with Yixing again on this new mission.

Taizao saw Luhan glancing around and said, "Yixing was sent off to take care of a small problem in the outskirt of the capital city. Your other brothers are also busy with their own tasks so this mission will have to be complete by you alone, Luhan."

Surprised that his royal father caught him so Luhan immediately bow and said, "I will do my best."

"I need you to go to the Royal Guards' headquarters and check on the old and current policies. After the last update there seems to have been some loopholes and they're taking advantage of it," Taizao said and handed the report to Luhan.

Both Yifan and Luhan was a bit shocked and Luhan immediately kneel down and bow deeply to Taizao. "Royal Father, please reconsider the division of the tasks. The Royal Guards has always been under the Crown Prince's care and he does a wonderful job of handling all the Royal Guards’ business. I'm afraid that due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge with the Royal Guards, I will not be able to do as good a job as the Crown Prince would."

Yifan grips the agricultural report he was holding hard but show no other expression on his face. He just stands there quietly as Luhan talks.

Taizao didn't look at his sons as his eyes was busy scanning another report. He simply waved away Luhan's concern with his hand, "Just do your best."

Luhan hesitantly and nervously accepts the report from Taizao. He glances towards Yifan but his brother has already bow to their father and started his retreat from the room. Luhan tried to catch up to Yifan but his brother seems to have quicken his pace on purpose and left without saying a word to him. It's obvious that Yifan doesn't want to talk to him right now, so Luhan let him go. Sadden at the thought that this might cause their relationship to worsen, Luhan dejectedly head back towards his own palace.

On the way, Liufei jumps out of nowhere to surprise Luhan, but he didn't give her the desired reaction so she continues to bugs him until he spills the beans. "I don't understand why Royal Father did this. He has to have known the Royal Guards was under dage. He should have given the small task of agricultural problem to me instead," Luhan said.

Liufei didn't say anything and just looks at her brother. Luhan rubs his face tiredly, "Sorry Xiaofei, I shouldn't be discussing this with you."

Liufei's lips break into a mischievous smile, "Do you want to know why?"

Luhan narrow his eyes suspiciously at her. She laughs at his expression, "If you want to know why then give me a piggy back ride to the imperial garden."

"Xiaofei, I don't have time for this. I still need to go take care of the tasks Royal Father assigned."

"Suit yourself then," she shrugs and turn to walk away.

Luhan let out a loud sigh and bend down, "You better know something or I'll throw you in the lake. Also, is there really nothing else fun for you to do other than torture your brothers every opportunity you get?"

Liufei laugh happily and turn around to climb on Luhan's back, "Stop complaining. Now that Yueyin is here, I might not care about you guys anymore."

"If that's the case, I will have to go thank Lady Zhang personally for keeping you entertained and away from your brothers," Luhan said as he stands up slowly and piggy back Liufei towards the garden. Liufei hums a song and swing her legs back and forth happily. "Stay still or I'll drop you in that rose bush over there. Now, spill what you know," Luhan demanded.

"So impatient. Royal Father is doing this for Fan ge's own good. A couple times when I went to visit Royal Father, I overheard Royal Father telling Qiangshan that Fan ge is not doing well on agriculture reports and seems to be lacking interest and knowledge in the subject. It's obvious that Royal Father give him the agriculture task to help him improve his weakness on it. Therefore, you have to take care of the Royal Guard problem since Fan ge is busy," Liufei explained then let go of Luhan's shoulder and use both her hands to grab onto his head, "Are all boys' head this thick and clouded? Can't even see through other's good intention?"

Luhan shakes his head side to side in an attempt to make Liufei let go, "How am I supposed to guess what Royal Father is thinking when I don't sneak around to eavesdrop on him? Also, why can't Royal Father just tell us that? He never bothers to explain anything."

Liufei let go of Luhan's head, but not before messing up his hair. She quickly held onto his shoulders when he threatens to drop her. "Isn't that a common problem with men? All of you just do as you please and can't communicate properly at all."

"You're one to talk. And what's this about talk of men? Were you bothered by someone?" he cranks his head around to look at her. She just shook her head and used her hands to forced his head to look forward again. "Xiaofei, let me tell you. You won't find any men that are better than your brothers. So don't waste your time being troubled by any of the other men."

She let out a laugh, "If I have to be with someone similar to you, I would rather become a monk."

"In that case, let me start building you a temple because if the guy isn't even similar or better than me, then he shouldn't even dream of marrying my sister."

Liufei gasp and pull on his hair, "Don't speak nonsense. It's not even up to you."

---

Yifan packed and head out of the capital city as soon as he gathered the agricultural experts. Since this wasn't a big task and they weren't carrying many supplies, Yifan didn't bring a troop with him. He only brought a few guards and his personal guard. He wanted to get there fast and finish the task as soon as possible, then return to the city quickly. Liufei made him promised to bring back a gift for her from Ningzhou within the month. He lashed out at her last time and was still feeling guilty for it, so he wants to make it up to her by returning with her gift earlier than she expected.

Yifan and his crew moves fast and within a couple days they can see Ningzhou province from afar. With one more day of full speed riding, they should make it into the province before nightfall. For today, they will have to camp outdoor. Yifan sent out a few guards to check out their surroundings while the rest help to set up camp. Yifan took this time to look over the report again in detail so he can work on it as soon as he arrives at Ningzhou.

While everyone was busy, one of the agricultural experts casually and silently make his way over to Yifan. He glances around to make sure no one has taken a notice of him yet. Once he got closer, he slips out a dagger hidden in his sleeves and rush the last few steps towards Yifan's back. Yifan was engrossed in the report and wasn't able to react in time. Luckily, his personal guard just returned from getting some water and has lightning reflex. Yifan's guard drop the water bag and quickly reaches out to pull back the agricultural expert. The expert swings the dagger around at the guard and the two broke out into a fight. The other guards drop whatever they were doing and quickly surround Yifan protectively. Yifan's personal guard was clearly more skill than the expert and he soon took control of the expert.

Yifan made his way over to question the expert, "Who sent you? What is your aim in trying to assassinate me?"

The expert smirks at him but didn't answer. Yifan stabs down on the expert's thigh with his sword. "Why did you sneak in among the agricultural experts? What is it that you're trying to accomplish alone? Tell me! Who sent you?!" Yifan puts more pressure on his sword after each question and it pierces deeper into the expert's thigh.

The expert yell out painfully and beg for Yifan to stop, "Please stop! I'll tell you! I'll tell you!"

Yifan eases up on the pressure and straighten up, waiting for answers. The expert tries to catch his breath from the pain before asking Yifan, "Are you sure you want to know the answer, Crown Prince?"

Yifan narrow his eyes at the expert, "Why wouldn't I? Don't waste anymore of my time. Who sent you?"

The expert looks straight into Yifan's eyes, "The one that suggested for you to bring along agricultural experts."

Yifan's angry expression falter and he took a step back, "No… you're lying."

The expert laughs loudly, "Lying? Why would a man that's about to die lie to you? Crown Prince! No… Wu Yifan! You've played your role well! So well that you think you could be his chosen one! If he cared for you would he have sent you here to be kill?!"

Yifan's eyes widen, he and the other guards immediately look around. In that moment, the expert shook off Yifan's personal guard and quickly backs away from them. "You are wrong, Crown Prince. I am not alone. We have prepared and waited for you. Although, you unexpectedly rush things a bit and arrived earlier than expected but no matter, the result will be the same," he said then raised his hand up in the air to wave three times as the signal.

Many assassins rush out from all directions, charging straight towards Yifan's group. A battle broke out and Yifan's group were quickly outnumbered. They did their best but soon only Yifan and his personal guard was still alive. The two of them sustained many injuries and were pushed back towards the forest. The personal guard did his best to block off as many assassins as possible and gave Yifan some time to escape through the forest. Yifan ran as fast as he could with his injuries, but it wasn't long until he can hear the assassins coming after him. He isn't familiar with the area so he just keeps running while weaving through the forest without wasting time to look back and check on the assassins.

He kept running until his legs gave out and he collapse on the ground. He doesn't know how far he had run or if he managed to shake off the assassins. The only thing he remembered before losing consciousness was footsteps and a familiar voice.

"Oh, look who we found."

 


Author's Notes:

This chapter ended up being so long compared to the other chapters because I just couldn’t find a good place to cut it. If I cut it then the second part would make such a short chapter and I am not sure if I’ll be able to fill it in anytime soon. I didn’t want to make you guys wait any longer so hope you enjoy the long chapter.

It was so hard to decide the chapter title too… I was conflicted between Unwelcome and The Last Straw. I picked the first but wanted to let you know that if broken in two chapter, the other one would have been titled The Last Straw.

Stay safe & Stay healthy!