Saved

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 37

Saved

Junmyeon and Minseok were meeting up near one of the borders between Japan and China. Ever since the ambassador trip to China, Junmyeon had only sent missions through various means. It was strange to Minseok that he had requested to meet up in person this time. Their meet up location is the border that was in a deep forest near a province called Ningzhou. The two of them brief each other up on the current status of Japan and China.

"Is there an important mission that you need me to do?" Minseok asks. Junmyeon smile and shook his head. Irritated, Minseok ask again, "If there are no missions, why did you request to meet up in person?"

"Just to see that you are well with my own eyes," Junmyeon replied.

Minseok scowl, not quite sure if Junmyeon is being sarcastic or not. "Did Jongdae put you up to this?"

Junmyeon shook his head again, "I'm being sincere."

"Just keep that sincerity to yourself. I don't enjoy it," he said then turn to leave, "If there's nothing else then I'm leaving."

Minseok was about three steps away from Junmyeon when they heard running footsteps in the distance. Minseok immediately went on guard and scan the surrounding. While keeping his eyes out for the incoming danger, he pulls out a dagger and toss it to Junmyeon, "Keep yourself safe. I'm going to go take a look."

"No, I'm going with you," Junmyeon said and earned an annoyed glare from Minseok. "I won't get in your way, just wanted to see you at work."

"You're just making more work for me. If something happens to you, god knows what Kyungsoo will do."

"It's the same for you..." Junmyeon said in a light voice.

Minseok heard but didn't understand, "What?"

"It's nothing. If we don't act now, whoever it is will run into us soon and find out that we're in communication."

Minseok nodded and lead Junmyeon stealthily towards the source of the footsteps sound. When they were near, the sound had stops and replaced with a loud thud. The two of them take a peek from where they're hiding and saw a bloody person lying on the ground. They stay hidden a bit longer to make sure that no one else was coming before approaching the person. Once closer, they immediately recognized the person.

"Oh, look who we found," Junmyeon said.

Minseok went over to check his pulse, "He's still alive but looks like his injuries aren't light. If not treated soon, he'll die here."

"Looks like things are moving faster here than I had thought they would."

Minseok stood up and dust himself off, "We better get moving. His pursuers might find this place soon if they're still out there searching for him."

Junmyeon raised an eyebrow, "We're just going to leave like this?"

"What else do you expect me to do? Carry a bloody Crown Prince of China on my back and parade back to the capital city?"

Junmyeon let out a sigh, "You're as cold as ever." He looks down at the unconscious Yifan again then said, "Help me put him on my horse."

"You want to take him back to Japan? What are you planning now?"

Junmyeon just smile but said nothing.

---

Sehun was feeling anxious and angry. It has been two weeks since he last received news from Chanyeol. From the moment when they left the palace, to the moment when they arrived at the battlefield, Chanyeol had sent back a report every week. Sehun would never admit that he was worry. Chanyeol might be young, but he's one of Korea's best general. Jongin might be inexperienced, but Sehun knows that he's skill enough to at least protect himself.

Sehun wasn't worried or care at all, at least, not until his other subjects starts panicking and pressuring him to order Jongin's return. He didn't force Jongin to go. It was Jongin who wanted to go on his own, so he wasn't happy that these subjects talked like it was Sehun who made him leave for the battlefield. Ever since Jongin's departure, some of these subjects' attitude towards Sehun has been outright disrespectful. Sehun knew they were Jongin's supporters and it seems that they were suppressed by Jongin when he was here. Now that he's not present, they had decided to group up and challenge Sehun's rule. They doubt his skill as a new king and protest against his once illegitimate status. They reject and advice against his every decision. They thought they could control and play him like a fool, so they even tried blackmailing him into giving them benefits if he wants them to support him.

He has been enduring and stayed silent to their actions because of Baekhyun's advises. When he was still the crown prince, he didn't get to see this ugly side to the throne. His father had always seemed like he had them under his control, so Sehun didn't think he would need to worry about taking over. Perhaps, if his father was still alive, they wouldn't have dared to act this way. Sehun knew that he was still lacking as a king, but being pressured by his own subjects this much was not something Sehun can stomach for long.

Today was another one of those annoying court meetings. Sehun had wanted to just cancel it but Baekhyun keeps insisting. Once again, he has to deal with these subjects taking turns to blame him for Jongin joining the battlefield. Fifteen minutes in and Sehun is already fed up. If one more person step up and question him, Sehun swear he will kill that person.

Sure enough, one of the ministers step forward to speak. These nobles were on a roll, and because Sehun hadn't taken any actions against them thus far, they felt they were successful in pressuring and gaining control of the new king. "Your Majesty, if you still refuse to call back the First Prince and ensure his safety, we're afraid we cannot support you. It is simply immoral to force one's sibling into danger for the sake of keeping him from the throne. How can you expect us to support and serve under such a person?!" the minister said loudly and takes another step forward confidently, "The new measures that you want to pass makes no sense at all. If the former King was still alive, he'll not even consider bringing up such things because he knows that we nobles are the very foundation that this Kingdom survives on! You want us to support new laws that would put us at a huge disadvantage? It is best you reconsider!"

The other nobles that sided with this minister all nodded in agreement and snickers at Sehun, thinking they surely gotten him cornered enough that he'll be scared into listening to them. They whisper amongst themselves but loud enough for others to hear… "This is why a noble born son like the First Prince is more fitted for the throne." "If the former King hadn't favored his mother so much, would such an illegitimate child have been named Crown Prince?" "The death of the former King, Queen and Consort… could it have all been his doing in order to grab the throne before the former King changed his mind?"

Hearing the whispers behind him, the minister that spoke up was looking smug. However, the smug disappear when he suddenly sees a sword flying towards him and stab straight through his chest. Everyone in the room immediately gasp and went silent as they look up towards the throne. Sehun made his way down towards the surprised minister. He places his hand on the sword's hilt and look deep into the minister's eyes, "Anything else you want to say?" However, without waiting for an answer, Sehun stab deeper before pulling the sword out in one swift motion. The minister's blood stained Sehun's face and clothes before his body fell down to the ground, eyes still wide open but no longer breathing.

Sehun shakes the blood off his sword then look around the room, "Anyone else wants to challenge my rule or question my legitimacy? The next person that dare to question me will meet the same fate as him," Sehun step over the minister's dead body and return to his throne. "If all of you have nothing else to report then you may be dismissed," Sehun said and before exiting through the side door near the throne, he turns to Baekhyun who was too shock like everyone else to move, "Take all those who whispered loudly earlier out and execute them all. If I still see them around tomorrow then I'll personally execute every single person in the room today."

After Sehun exited, Baekhyun rubs his own face tiredly. He feels like he had been doing a lot more than a personal advisor should be doing. While Baekhyun was wondering if he should resign or not, the others in the room has gone ghostly pale, especially the ones that are going to be executed. They all started panicking, questioning in fear how a king can be that way to his subjects. Baekhyun looks around the room and let out a long sigh before waving in the royal guards and carried out Sehun's order. Some of them tried to resist by fighting back or running away, but they were all cut down eventually within the minutes.

The Korean's court room and the path leading to it looks like the aftermath of a bloody battle. From then on, Sehun's reputation as a cruel, merciless and terrifying king spread far and wide in Korea. Words spread from one person to another, and as it spread more things were added to the truth until it became a story in which king Sehun was described like a monster that massacre all his subjects for his own entertainment.

Baekhyun sigh again, sadden that this was how Sehun has chosen to rule. Had he been a bit more patient, Baekhyun could have finished looking into those nobles and gather all the materials to blackmail them with. This bloodbath could have been avoided. Perhaps he shouldn't have convinced Sehun into attending this court meeting. Baekhyun had half wanted to beg Sehun to spare their lives but he knew that if even he also show that he's against Sehun's decisions, then there really is no ground left for Sehun to fight on. He just has to convince himself that these are necessary sacrifices for a better tomorrow.

Baekhyun sense a strong gaze directed towards him. He turns towards the person and found the old prime minister standing there calmly amongst the chaos in the room. The old man continues to stare at Baekhyun even when Baekhyun stare back at him.

"If the First Prince had been here, would all of this be necessary?" the prime minister asks Baekhyun.

"Would he have stopped it?" Baekhyun inquire. He hadn't thought that the prime minister was one of Jongin's supporters. The old man had always seemed to be so neutral.

The prime minister shook his head then said, "Stay by his side. Sometimes to act the devil you must become the devil. There'll be no return when he loses too much of himself."

"Has there been anyone who sat on the throne and still remained himself?"

"There were some, but not always through their own power. Rather, it was through the help of others like yourself."

"Me?" Baekhyun was a little confused now. Just which side is the prime minister on?

"I am old now. Soon, it'll no longer be the time of transition but a new age lead by people of your generation. Do what you all want to do, but never allow yourselves to die with regrets."

"I think that's easier said than done. People will always die with regrets."

The prime minister laughs loudly, "Is that so? Then let me be the first to die without regrets because I've already done all that I wanted to do." Suddenly, he collapses to the ground and Baekhyun quickly rush to his side.

"Prime Minister! Are you alright? What's going on?" Baekhyun question him as the old man cough up blood.

"I should have gone with the former King the day he died… but I watched you kids grew up since you were little and didn't want to leave just yet. I wanted to watch a little longer… a little longer so that I can share your progress with His Majesty when I meet him on the other side. Tell… tell King Sehun that I want to pass this position to you. Aide him as I have for his father," he paused and coughed some more. Once he regains his breathing he said, "Looks like I will not be able to wait for Prince Jongin's return… for the sake of this Kingdom, you must keep them together… keep them together…"

Before Baekhyun could say anything, the prime minister went limp in his arms. Baekhyun was about to call out for the physicians when the magistrate sits down by them. "It's no use. He's been sick for a long time and has just been barely holding on till now. I told him to rest at home and not come in today but he keeps insisting. He must have known his own time was up and wanted to see the King one last time," the magistrate, who has been a long-time friend of the prime minister, explains then take the prime minister from Baekhyun.

Baekhyun stood back up and watch the magistrate carry the prime minister out of the room. The old man's words were still ringing in Baekhyun's ears. Baekhyun's assistant runs up to him and ask what they should do now. Baekhyun gave out orders to clean up the room and clear out the area. As he and his assistant watches over the clean up, the boy asks, "Will… will this be alright? His Majesty seems to be really angry this time. On his way back to his quarters earlier, he killed two of the guards that were whispering amongst themselves."

Baekhyun sigh, "I'm afraid if the First Prince doesn't return soon, this palace might really be reduced to half at this rate."

---

"Here, let me help you wrap that up," Chanyeol said as he reaches out for the bandage.

Jongin stares intently at Chanyeol as the general help him wrap up a wound on his left arm. "Just say what you want already. You'll become sick if you keep holding in your words like that."

Chanyeol glared at him and then tighten the knot a little harder than he should, causing Jongin to wince out in pain. "What kind of idiot makes such an elementary mistake and let himself get hurt?"

"An accident is an accident. How can you keep blaming me like this?" Jongin try to loosen the tight knot of his bandage.

"Do I look like I'm blind? If you're tired of life then go die elsewhere. Not on my battlefield."

Jongin laughed, "Why would I want to die?"

Chanyeol sent him another glare, "Are you asking me or yourself?"

"You know, I've noticed you've been a lot more talkative lately."

Chanyeol stood up after gathering the first aid supplies together. "It's because the one that's talkative isn't talking properly. There are many places you could have chose from to avoid him, but you just had to come here and made things worse," Chanyeol said then turn to walk away to check on his troops.

Jongin tsk at Chanyeol then lean back on his arms to gaze up at the sky. Maybe this wasn't the smartest move, but he just wanted to get away for a bit. Also, his brother needed help and no one was willing so he volunteered. It made sense to him at the time.

He continues to watch the clouds float by for a while then his eyebrows knitted together. He thought it over and think that maybe his friend was right. Maybe he did made things worse by running away. He didn't think about what Sehun would be thinking or how Sehun had felt when he ran off like this. Jongin release his arms and let his back fall on the grass. He lay there and continue to stare up at the sky. He does not want to care but yet still care. It is this conflicting mentality that's tiring him out. He doesn't know what he's doing anymore.

Chanyeol came back with some paper, brush and ink. He tosses it to Jongin, "It's your turn to write the reports. You volunteered for the job so do it properly. Report our victory and the estimate date of return. It's been two weeks since we last sent one, they must be wondering what happened."

Jongin look up at Chanyeol from where he's laying, "When will you just admit that you're the caring type?"

Chanyeol scowl at him, "Did you got hit in the head earlier? What nonsense are you on now?"

"Just admit that you deeply care about me and that brother of mine. Why else would you want to make me write the reports that you've been writing? Isn't your intention to let him see my handwriting and be assured?"

"Nonsense. I couldn't careless about your royal bickers," Chanyeol said and look away.

Jongin grin up at him, "Alright, alright. You don't have to admit it if you're so shy. As long as I can feel your love then it's good enough, Channie."

Chanyeol's eye twitch in annoyance, "My mistake. I shouldn't have thought of you as a depressed Prince when you're just a royal pain in the a** that's beyond saving."

Jongin laugh as Chanyeol left. He's amused at how he's always able to get to Chanyeol. The general was a fun person to tease. Jongin stare at Chanyeol's disappearing back and silently thank him for saving his life earlier and helping him to feel better in his own ways.

---

Kyungsoo observes Yifan from where he's sitting. He watched in boredom and soon gave up on making sense of the incoherent things that are coming out of Yifan's mouth. Kyungsoo turn his line of sight to Junmyeon, who was sitting across from him, "When is he going to wake up?"

Junmyeon put down his tea, "The physician said he should have been awake by now but he continues to remain unconscious. His wounds are healing up nicely. It is his mind that's refusing to wake up and face reality." Junmyeon then let out a sigh and said without looking at the person leaning against the door frame, "Jongdae, can you stop glaring daggers at me? I can actually feel you drilling holes into my head with your eyes."

"You went out and brought back the freaking Crown Prince of China to our Kingdom and what you're worrying about is my eyes drilling holes into your head? You should be worrying about an upcoming war declaration from China instead."

Junmyeon shook his head, "It was just a coincidence that I was nearby. Also, I've told you that Minseok helped me covered up the tracks well, so I doubt they will find out I've taken him here. Even if they suspect that he ran off to Japan, the one that wants him dead wouldn't dare to reveal that fact to the Emperor of China. It is after all better for them that he's missing if he's not dead."

Jongdae push himself off the door frame and makes his way over to the table that the other two were sitting at, "What I want to know is why did you bring him here?"

"Not sure. Just thought he might become useful," Junmyeon shrugs and Jongdae gave up.

"You have something in mind?" Kyungsoo asks, his eyesight back on Yifan.

"Not yet…" Junmyeon lifts his teacup and was about to take a sip when Yifan suddenly sit up in the bed.

His sudden movement aggravated his wounds so he winces out in pain and fell back down onto the pillow. The three men sitting at the table make their way over to him. Vision blurry from the pain, Yifan couldn't make out who the three people standing by his bedside are. "Who are you?" he asks.

"Crown Prince, do you not remember us?" Junmyeon asks.

Yifan shuts his eyes tightly for a bit before opening them again and continues to repeat the motion until his visions clear. "Ambassador Tanaka?" Yifan recognize the three of them and recall the familiar voice that he heard before he passed out, "Did you saved me?"

Junmyeon nodded, "I was helping out with the border inspection when I heard the noises. I decided to check it out and found you. I'm glad that my curiosity got the best of me, otherwise we might really never have the chance to meet again."

Jongdae couldn't help himself so he steps away from the bed and walk back to the table. He had the strong urge to roll his eyes at Junmyeon's lies and if he hadn't stepped away, Yifan might have seen his eyeroll and questioned it. Sometimes Jongdae just find it really hard to play and act along with Junmyeon's spontaneous lies and schemes. He picks up the teapot and pour some tea into a cup. He makes his way back to the bed and hand Junmyeon the teacup so that he can help Yifan drink it.

After downing the tea, Yifan's eyes darted around and couldn't recognize the unfamiliar room layout, "Where am I?" he asks.

"Japan," Kyungsoo said.

"Japan?!"

Junmyeon nodded to confirm Yifan's disbelief, "Your pursuers were quite persistent and it wasn't convenient for me to advance any further into China. So, I ended up bringing you back to Japan with me." Junmyeon let the information sink in before he questions Yifan, "Why is a Crown Prince like yourself so far away from the capital city and being chased around in a forest near the border?"

Yifan's eyes widen at the question, finally he's conscious enough to remembered everything that happened. His expression became one of sadness and anger, "I..."

"You didn't win against your father," Kyungsoo stated.

Yifan immediately look towards him, he was about to question how Kyungsoo knew but then recall the day when the ambassadors left and Kyungsoo had wished him good luck against his royal father. Yifan grips the blanket tightly to the point that his knuckles went white. If even the ambassadors who only had a short stay was able to tell, how could he keep on denying and lying to himself. "I did everything I could to please him and to earn his approval! What I got back in return was a life full of lies... I was simply used as the shield to protect the one he actually wanted to succeed him!" he takes in a deep breath to calm himself down before he spoke up again, "If he had wanted Luhan to become the emperor... then he should have told me from the beginning. If I had known... I wouldn't have spent all my life dreaming and chasing after something that wasn't meant to be mine."

"If I remember correctly, Luhan is the Second Prince?" Jongdae asks.

Yifan nodded, hands still tightly gripping onto the blanket, afraid that if he let go, he might lose it and lash out at these three who saved his life.

"What do you want to do about it now?" Jongdae asks.

"I... I want to go back." Yifan look down at his hands, "I have to go back and confirm things for myself. Otherwise, I don't think I can let go. Also... Fei er..." Yifan trailed off and didn't continue.

"You're still in denial," Kyungsoo said plainly.

Yifan sent Kyungsoo a glare but didn't retort. There's nothing he can say because it's true. A part of him still doesn't want to believe it. He had done all the investigation that he could for the last incident, and it was also clear that his royal father's true color has shown now that Luhan is capable of handling crown prince duties. What's left to confirm? Even if he were to confront his royal father, would the man admit his own heartless doing?

Junmyeon gave him a pat on his shoulder, "You probably won't be able to go back to China for now. Those pursuers must still be out there searching for you to finish off their mission. Around this area, only the three of us know of your true identity. So, rest and heal up well here. When it's time, perhaps we can be of some help."

Yifan nodded and thank them for saving and sheltering him. He was still tired from his injuries and was also in need of some alone time, so the three Japanese left the room and let him be.

After leaving the room, Jongdae saw Kyungsoo's happy face. Well, he wasn't smiling or anything but knowing him all these years, Jongdae can conclude that is Kyungsoo's happy face. "Why are you so happy to see him? Is he that interesting? I think he seems quite normal and not worth our time."

Kyungsoo thought about it, "I am not sure why. He just interests me."

"Perhaps it's because the two of you are seemingly in the same boat... vying for a nonexistent father's love," Junmyeon said.

Kyungsoo's happy face disappeared, "He and I are not the same. He foolishly believed it was there till now while I have known from the start it was never there."

Kyungsoo left the two of them behind and return to his own quarters. Junmyeon watches Kyungsoo's disappearing back in silence.

"If it wasn't you but someone else who say such things to him, they would have been torture and kill in the most gruesome ways," Jongdae said after Kyungsoo was out of earshot.

Junmyeon turn to him with a smile and then left. There's probably no one who is irked by that scheming and confident smile more than Jongdae in this world. He would love to see the day when that smile is wipe off of Junmyeon's face.

 


Author's Notes:

If you're still trying to make sense of some sort of timeline or geographic distance for this story… you should give up now lol!