Balance of Power

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 10

Balance of Power

Weimin had just returned home from his court meeting when he hear the sound of guzheng coming from the garden. Such beautiful guzheng music can only be played by one person in this house. He smile as he follow the sound to the garden where he see Yueyin sitting in the pavilion playing the guzheng. He stood by the garden’s entrance to listen for awhile, not willing to interrupt the music.

“Father?” Yueyin stops when she looks up and saw her father.

Weimin smile and made his way over to her. “That was a nice piece you played” he compliments her as he sat down in the chair by the table.

“Just a little improvisation on an old piece” Yueyin got up from her seat by the guzheng and walk over to sit down next to her father. “How was the court meeting? You look tired today.”

“The east is facing danger of floods so there was a lot of arguments and tensions at the court meeting today,” Weimin shook his head as he recalls “As usual, the court officials are split up into many fractions based on their own interests.”

Yueyin stood up and make her way around Weimin to give him a shoulder massage. Usually women aren’t supposed to know or discuss about politics. That was the world of men. However, Yueyin’s parents doesn’t think that way. Weimin likes to discuss everything with his wife so since young Yueyin and Meiyin have already been exposed to politics. After Yiling passed, Weimin kept to himself for a while until Yueyin managed to convince him to open up to his daughters. Since Meiyin has no interest in politics whatsoever, Yueyin has been his go to chatting partner. He had taught her so much that if the government allows women to take the Imperial Exam, Yueyin could have passed it with flying colors.

“The Emperor must be having fun” Yueyin commented.

“Why do you say so?” Weimin ask as he take a sip from his teacup.

“He probably already has someone in mind for the job, but he still let the officials fight over it. If he’s not letting it happen for fun, then he’s too weak to control them. And Emperor Taizao is anything but weak.”

Weimin let out a laugh at his daughter’s explanation “You’re right, people might not believe it but the Emperor does do that every now and then for his own amusement.”

“Then why are you so tired Father?”

Weimin didn’t answer her, instead he asked “Yueyin, where do you think the balance of power is right now?”

She thought for a bit then replied “Currently it is mostly in the hands of Emperor Taizao, but the power of fractions that support the Princes are growing stronger day by day. There are also smaller groups that lean towards the Duke. If the Emperor isn’t careful, the scale could be tip in an unfavorable direction.”

Weimin nodded “What do you think of the Princes?”

“Although the throne is promised to the Crown Prince, but due to greed from the other fractions no one can say for sure whether or not something will change.” She stops the massage and made her way around the table as she continues “Fractions supporting the first three Princes are strongest while the ones for the younger three Princes are still struggling a bit. This is most likely due to who their mothers are.”

Yueyin sat down in the seat opposite of Weimin as he nodded at what she was saying. “None of the first three Princes’ mothers are people that can be messed with. The Crown Prince’s mother is the current Empress, and she had gathered for herself and her son a large number of supporters. With her being the daughter of brave General Zhou, many of his old subordinates who are now in high ranking general positions fully serves as her backing.” She stops to take a drink from her teacup then continues “The Second Prince’s mother is Empress Yinhua, and her father Official Lin was one of the three favored senior loyal subject of Emperor Jianyu. This fact alone guaranteed many supports from high ranking officials for the Second Prince. What’s more, Empress Yinhua herself was an intelligent woman that ruled with benevolence. So the large amount of officials and nobles that owes her and worship her has no hesitation in supporting her son. In addition to all that, she was also Emperor Taizao’s first official wife and Empress. The Second Prince’s supporters see this fact as his right to succeed the throne, disagreeing with the law passed by Emperor Jianyu.”

“And the Third Prince?” Weimin asked

“The Third Prince’s mother, Consort Yang, is also a formidable woman. The great amount of supports she have without needing to do as much as the other two is astonishing. Being the daughter of Official Yang, who was the leader of the Yang’s clan that played a big part in aiding Emperor Jianyu’s rebellion. The Yang clan is not only powerful but is also both Emperor Jianyu’s and Emperor Taizao’s favored clan. This gives Consort Yang and the Third Prince a great amount of supporters. Although she excludes herself from the competition of the inner courts, but that’s what got her the attention and trust of the Emperor. At least half of the Emperor’s supporters lean towards her due to that.”

Weimin nodded, satisfy with his daughter’s knowledge “With that said, who do you think is the best candidate to take care of the flood issue in the east?” he asked.

“Emperor Taizao does not show favoritism amongst his sons, so there has been many rumors that he does that on purpose to protect the son of his choice, so that he can crown him when the time is right. I think the Emperor is aware of these rumors and know that it will affect the future of the empire. So in order to dissolve these rumors, this flood would be the perfect chance to show his resolve. If he does indeed wants to change Emperor Jianyu’s law to crown his favored son, then he would let that Prince go. If he intend to keep the law as is, then the Crown Prince would be his choice. Whichever Prince goes, the success of this mission will benefit them greatly in the competition for the throne.” She paused as she realized something, turned to Weimin and ask “Is this why you were so tired? Because the Emperor was discussing with you about his options?”

Weimin let out a sigh and nodded again “Yes, I was summoned before the court meeting. He has always been stressed about the matter of the throne succession.”

“And so…?”

“Do you think a man who respect his father more than anything will overturn his father’s law?” Weimin answered. As Madame Lin walk into the pavilion with a tray of afternoon snacks and tea, he thanked her then turn to ask Yueyin “Where’s your sister?”

Yueyin was about to take a sip of her tea, upon hearing her father’s question her hand froze mid way. The teacup still an inch from her lips, she smile guiltily as her eyes averted his gaze “She’s uh...at her friend’s house.”

“Friend? Which one? The sword or the horse?”

Yueyin’s face pales…

---

“Channie!”

Upon hearing his nickname, the Korean General sigh. His tall physique and bloody armor always ward off others...except the First Prince. But then again, does anything ever scared this crazy Prince? Chanyeol thought as he turn around to face Jongin. “Yes, Prince Jongin?”

“Can you not greet me with a scowl or a sigh every time?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and turned back to grooming his horse, ignoring Jongin, hoping the Prince would go away once he is bored. To Chanyeol's luck, Jongin continues "So what assignment did my Father give you this time?"

He knows what kind of information the Prince wants from him by luring him into a not-so-casual chat. He normally doesn't keep anything that Jongin wants to know to himself. However, this time it's different. The King had emphasized that this was an important task that concerns the reputation of the nation. If the King didn't informed the Princes himself then they aren't supposed to know. Having grown up as playmates with the Princes, Chanyeol can guess what kind of trouble there will be if Jongin know what the task is.

"I'm not able to tell you." He said as his hands continue to brush the horse, not looking at Jongin.

"Channie, surely you can leak a little info?" Jongin pet the horse's head as he looks at Chanyeol, who continues to keep silent. "I'll stop calling you Channie if you tell me."

"Tempting, but no. Besides there are a bunch of other nicknames you call me by, I'm not falling for it."

"What's so secretive that neither you nor Baek is willing to tell me?" Jongin pouted.

Chanyeol's hand paused upon hearing the mention of the advisor's name, but he quickly resume his brushing hoping the Prince didn't catch his reaction.

Jongin continues to bug Chanyeol “Come on Channie, ChanChan, Yeollie, Channnnnnyeeeooollll tell me!” but the general just continues to ignore him. Jongin knows he's not going to be able to get anything out of Chanyeol this time. Usually he would only have to ask and Chanyeol would tell him right away so that he can get rid of Jongin faster. Looks like this time he'll have to find out some other way.

---

In the woods outside the capital city, a man pulled out a pigeon from its cage. He place a small piece of rolled up paper inside the tube tied to the pigeon’s feet. After checking and securing the paper, he released the pigeon. He watches as it fly away, towards the direction of the person of the recipient.

Once the pigeon was out of sight, he carefully observes his surroundings as he make his way back into the capital city. He nodded at the citizens as they greeted him. Little did they know that the smile plaster on his face wasn’t for them. It was from the joy of seeing the wheels of his plans beginning to turn.

 


Author's Notes:

So sorry I've been MIA. I was traveling and didn't really have reliable internet connections to use... but I'm back now and will try to update more often :)