Prologue

Beauties of Nations

Prologue

During the warring states in China, a young general named Wu Jianyu bravely fought on the battle field to ward off rebels and invaders. He was an honorable and loyal subject to his sovereign who trusted him greatly. He was a powerful man in the government and because of this other corrupted officials often went against him. During a decisive battle, the corrupted officials had successfully persuade the emperor to order Jianyu to fall back and return to the palace immediately. Jianyu had received the order but could not return because he and his troops was surrounded by enemies. They fought on to break through the enemies’ line for many days and most of his troops had fallen. The corrupted officials at court suggested to the emperor that Wu Jianyu is a rebel because he did not obey the order to return, and that he might be collaborating with the invaders to rebel against the emperor. The emperor was angry and decided to brand Wu Jianyu and his family as traitors and they are to be executed.  Once Jianyu had escape from the enemies and return to the capital, he received the news that his family was executed. He wanted to demand an explanation from the emperor but some of Jianyu’s loyal friends took him into hiding and discourage him of the idea. They explain to him that the emperor has been corrupted and only listen to the corrupted officials and no longer care for matter of the kingdom and its people. Wu Jianyu decided to gather people and lead a rebellion against the emperor. Among Jianyu’s new rebel troops there were many great and loyal warriors and strategists. There is one man who stood out the most among them, he was a good friend of Jianyu and he’s not only an excellent martial artist he’s also a great strategist: his name is Zhang Minsheng. With great help from Minsheng, Jianyu won the war against the imperial troops and dethrone the emperor.

A new emperor was needed to help reunite the people and rebuilt the kingdom. The choice was between Zhang Minsheng and Wu Jianyu. Jianyu nominated Minsheng but he turn down the offer and recommended Jianyu instead. Minsheng refuse to take the throne believing that he’s not the chosen son of heaven and said that if Jianyu agree to take the throne then he will stay and swore his loyalty to Jianyu and will aid him in uniting the kingdom. If Jianyu will not take the throne, then Minsheng would leave on a long travel and will never mind the matter of the people and the government again. Jianyu did not want for the kingdom and its people to lose a talented and intelligent man such as Minsheng, and he also did not want to lose a good friend who had fought beside him and help him revenge his family’s death. Jianyu finally decided to take the throne and name himself the new emperor of China. Together he and Minsheng united the kingdom and its people. Jianyu appointed Minsheng as the prime minister of the new kingdom but Minsheng also turn that down and settle for a lower official rank instead and continue to aid Jianyu in running the new government system. Thus began the great Wu dynasty.  

Jianyu married one wife and named her empress. He later also appointed (only the empress get a proper wedding/marriage) many other women to become his consorts, continuing the traditions of the emperor’s harem. He had many children but the best one among them was his first son that came from his third consort and not the queen. Seeing as others are not as outstanding as the first, he named him the crown prince. Because he feared controversies that might arise due to the crown prince being the son of a consort instead of the empress he decided to pass the rule that no matter who the mother is, the first son will be named the crown prince. Thus Wu Taizao, the crown prince was safely secure for the throne and will be on his way to become the next great emperor of the Wu dynasty.

Zhang Minsheng also married a beautiful wife and had two son with her. He named them Zhang Ziyuan and Zhang Weimin. Both were well educated and respected as the sons of the great Zhang official. They later grew up to become trusted aids for Wu Taizao and help him in running the kingdom as their father had for the former emperor. Ziyuan excels in martial arts and became a great general while Weimin excels in strategies and became a wise strategist and court official.

When Taizao was still the crown prince, he met and fell in love with official Lin’s daughter, Lin Yinhua. He married her and once he became emperor he named her his empress and together they ruled China. She was a great woman who help him manage matters of the palace and carry out her role as a perfect wife and mother of the country. General Zhou, a loyal subject of Taizao's father, bravely died in battle so Taizao took pity on his only daughter and brought her into the palace so she can live a good life and also to keep Yinhua company. Unexpectedly, Zhou Ziyi decided to seduce Taizao and got him to name her his consort.

The Zhang brothers didn’t originally plan to follow in their father steps to continue getting involve in the government, especially the younger brother Zhang Weimin. However, when Taizao met a rebellion crisis and is in need of great help both Yinhua and Ziyi stepped forward to convince the Zhang brothers. Taizao had talked with both but they both refused no matter how high ranking the official position he offer them or how much wealth he promised them. Ziyi went to look for Weimin first but was turn down immediately, with her pride hurt she went to look for Ziyuan believing that a war general is much more helpful than a weak scholar. She managed to convince Ziyuan to lend the emperor a helping hand. Yinhua saw that Ziyi was not able to recruit Weimin so she decided to step in. She believe that having a great and intelligent strategist is better in both times of war and peace. Of course if Taizao could have both talented Zhang brothers as his loyal subject then it would even be better. So she humble herself and went to beg for Weimin’s help and finally able to convince him after showing her determination by kneeling in front of his house for many days in the rain. With the help of the Zhang brothers, Emperor Taizao continue to keep China united and also expanded its territories.

 


Author's Note: 

Just a little "pre-story" info to help you understand the character's relationships better in the next few chapters. Also serve as the story's background...a starting point....I know it's not as fun when the main characters (I know you're here for exo lol) haven't shown yet, but hang in there. They'll slowly make their appearances!