It's Complicated

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 41

It's Complicated

"He sure seemed decent at first, but I guess anyone would become vengeful after going through that," Jongdae commented as he accompanies Junmyeon and Kyungsoo away from Yifan's room. Jongdae knew that Kyungsoo was never the type to play things safely to the point of needing outsiders' help, so he was puzzle when his crown prince accepted Yifan's offer. "Why did you accept his offer? Isn't it more beneficial to leave China with a weak King so it's easier to take over them instead of getting just a few pieces of land? If Wu Yifan return as King, wouldn't he be a more formidable opponent than his brothers?" he asks Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo response, "He won't be a formidable opponent if he becomes a pawn."

Jongdae shakes his head, still not quite in agreement. "You think a man like that will easily become a pawn?"

"No, and that's what makes him so interesting." Kyungsoo pause then said, "Seems he hopes to make use of me by arranging marriage with his sister. However, he's still too new on this battlefield and has underestimated us. Royal marriage ties are strong and useful, but only if it's a strength and not a weakness… and he has just decided to send his weakness right into my arms."

"For him to trust you enough to send his precious sister to you… I don't see how someone who makes a dumb move like that could be interesting to you."

"The greed of a man who had nothing is incomparable to the greed of a man who lost everything he once had," Junmyeon commented.

Kyungsoo nodded, a bit happy that Junmyeon always understand him on a level that no one else ever did. "Because we can't quite guess what such a man will do, so he becomes interesting," Kyungsoo explains.

"After all that has happened, to him China is a dangerous place and we who saved him are better people to entrusts his sister to… He might have caught your eyes the most but we best not underestimate his other brothers too much," Junmyeon reminded them.

"The other two Chinese Princes that accompanied us hadn't seem too interested in the throne," Jongdae recalls his observation when he was the ambassador in China.

Kyungsoo smirks, "It's because they haven't had a taste of the kind of power a throne can give."

Junmyeon let out a sigh, "Anyways, there's a lot of planning and preparation needed to be done to accomplish what we all want, so we better get started on it." He turns and smile at Jongdae, "That one newbie general under you will be quite useful for our first steps. Will you lend him to us?"

Jongdae lifts an eyebrow at Junmyeon, "Since when do you ask for permission to make use of whoever you want to use?"

Junmyeon's smile did not falter. Jongdae smooth out his own expressions and said "Use Hiroki however you want. I just need him to remain alive in the end since I would like to keep my promise to his father."

Junmyeon nodded "No worries, I have nothing dangerous in mind for him. I simply would like for him to be the person that 'found' our illegitimate Prince and present him to our King. While Kyungsoo gets information from the Queen, we can work to set up a little play in a rural village. Every little detail will need to be carefully consider so that it becomes an undisputable fact that it is where the illegitimate Prince grew up and was found. Since we know how distrustful our King is, I hope that everyone will brush up on their acting skills." Junmyeon pause then look directly at Kyungsoo, "That includes the Queen..."

Kyungsoo tighten his fist at the thought of having to ask his mother to join the play. In many ways, she's the very definition of a cultured Japanese woman. She never meddles into her King's politics and always does her best to support him as his Queen. She devotes all of herself to him until she found out about the maid. As the hime of a great clan, Kyungsoo's mother is a proud and prideful person. Nothing has ever hurt her pride more than her husband's infidelity, so she could not accept anything that would even slightly remind her of his betrayal. Perhaps, if he hadn't promised her the world when he asked for her hand in marriage, she would have been more accepting of him having more lovers since Japan is also a nation of polygamy, so she's not unfamiliar with the idea. However, his heart was her world, but he took it back and gift it to someone else. To the hime of the great Ieyasu clan, her King can be share with someone else, but her husband's heart must always be hers and hers alone. She will not forgive anyone who dare to steal what's hers, and so that unworthy maid must die or it'll be her own beloved King that she must kill to ease her pain.

However, due to Kyungsoo's decision, the existence of Minseok continues to be an unhealable scar to the Queen. Kyungsoo had never begged her for anything before so when he begged her to let Minseok live she couldn't say no. Minseok had already lost all of his memories and doesn't seem that he'll recover them, so she felt reassure to let the boy live, but her heart still pain and rages with anger every time she caught sight of Minseok near Kyungsoo. Overtime, to keep her sanity she distant herself from Kyungsoo's place and eventually stop paying much attention or mind to Kyungsoo's affairs as he grown strong enough to care for himself. Kyungsoo and the King visits her from time to time, but she doesn't trouble herself to pay them visits anymore.

Kyungsoo knows that despite her non-caring acts, his mother would always choose to stand on his side rather than on the side of the King. It seems rather cruel to be asking her to take part in this act and awakens her pain once again, however, he knows that it's necessary in order for him to achieve what he wants. He glares daggers at Junmyeon before walking away angrily without saying another word.

"Only you are capable of angering him to that extent and still live," Jongdae commented after Kyungsoo disappear from sight. "How will all of this play out anyways?"

Junmyeon let out a sigh, "This way it won't be long before we successfully manipulate the King into becoming fond of Yifan and have intentions to pass the throne to him instead of our Crown Prince. But in order to do that, he'll surely have to play dirty to get Kyungsoo out of the picture as he's the legitimate heir. Kyungsoo can then use that as a legit excuse to overthrow the King and take the throne without receiving the people's wrath. If we had been able to gather any other kind of evidences against the King then we wouldn't have to do all this."

"So, we are trying to pull what the Chinese Emperor pulled on Yifan?"

"In a sense, yes. If we can't break this stalemate with normal means then we'll have to resort to a war of emotions. You saw what betrayal can do to even a man such as Wu Yifan," Junmyeon look up towards the sky and his eyes saddens, "I hadn't wanted to resort to such ways but since fate brought him here to us, then it's meant to be."

"Corrections. It was you who brought him here."

Junmyeon gives Jongdae that smile he always hate, "It's all the same."

---

Chanyeol and Jongin returned from the battlefield a day prior to Baekhyun's promotion. Chanyeol had went to report immediately to Sehun on the details of the battle, but Jongin just sneaked away back to his own palace. Jongin was wondering why the atmosphere in the castle seemed different than when he left. On his way back to his place, he noticed that all the guards and servants seems like they're walking on eggshells. However, he was too tired to question why they're so wary and on edge. He simply enjoyed a good bath and slept in the bed that he missed so much till the next day when he was woken up to attend Baekhyun's promotion ceremony.

After the ceremony, Jongin slip away quietly. He hadn't expected to find Baekhyun waiting for him right outside the back door. "Congratulations on becoming Prime Minister Baek! But seriously, it's not like you're getting crown why did they have to throw such a big celebration?"

Baekhyun lifts an amused eyebrow at Jongin as the Prince walks over to him. "Thank you for your insincere joy of my promotion, Your Highness. The celebration is… the King's idea" Baekhyun says, remembering how Sehun had cruelly threatens and silence all those who were against his promotion to the prime minister position. "I didn't think it was necessary but he was adamant on showing them who holds the power now," Baekhyun explains.

Jongin narrow his eyes suspiciously, not quite believing Baekhyun's words since Sehun isn't the type to do such lavish and grandiose things like threatening and throwing parties to piss off people.

Baekhyun sigh then look directly at Jongin, "Look, if you already promised to become his subject then stay and do your job instead of running off. If you think it's hard for you then you should have seen the look on his face when he had to decide to give up his own morality to kill mercilessly to bring order back to the kingdom." Baekhyun place a hand on Jongin's shoulder, "I hope you won't leave Sehun to battle through it all alone. I hope you will stay and fight it through with him. He can't keep doing it alone like this and just my strength alone cannot help him."

Jongin let out a sad smile as he now understood what's going on throughout the castle. He gently pushes away Baekhyun's hand, "He can do whatever he thinks he must do. The path of a King is never easy and he knows that more than anyone since he received the training for it. As his subject, I will be there to support him when he needs me. I'm always ready to be his sword and his shield."

"You know he doesn't need such things. He just…"

Jongin cuts him off, "If you're hoping we'll face each other and talk things through properly, then you have quite a big goal to achieve dear Prime Minister," Jongin laughs as he pushes pass Baekhyun and walk away, waving his goodbye at his friend without looking back.

Baekhyun let out a deep sigh before making his way back inside. He knew Jongin was just as stubborn if not more than Sehun, things wouldn't be solved with just some light poking from him. Baekhyun mutter curses towards the two hardheaded royal siblings that'll be making his job harder than it needs to be in the future. As soon as he was back in the room, people took notice of him and start crowding him to offer their congratulations and build connections with him. He sends an annoyed glare at Sehun, who is chilling on his throne with a bottle of wine and cold eyes. As Baekhyun's eyes make their way back to the people in front of him, they unconsciously caught sight of Chanyeol in a corner of the room.

Chanyeol had wanted to come over to congrats Baekhyun like the others, but decided to not bother Baekhyun by making him keep up the act in front of others on such a good day. So, he sends Baekhyun a silent congrats look before leaving. He thought Baekhyun wouldn't see it but the new Prime Minister did, and became bothered by his own conflicted emotions for a few seconds before hatred towards the young General takes over again.

Chanyeol makes his way into the training ground inside the castle that's reserved for only a few individuals. He saw Jongin practicing his archery and decide to join him. The two of them just practiced in silence for a good twenty minutes before Jongin said, "I had thought you'll run from that party sooner. You're like ten minutes later than I had predicted."

Chanyeol shakes his head at the First Prince and just continues shooting arrows at the target. Jongin shot some more arrows at his own target before he asks, "When will you be sorting things out with Baek?"

"It's not quite the same as it is with you and the King, where the two of you just needs to talk it through but refuses to do so."

"It's…complicated."

"Only because the two of you are making it out to be. You've both accepted the reality and the decisions that was made, what's left other than to face it and accept that it was neither of your faults?"

"Oh? You make it sounds easy. Then what about you and Baek?"

Chanyeol was silent for a bit before speaking, "Until someone can convince both him and myself that what happened was not my fault. Only then will we even be able to look at each other without one hating and the other feeling guilty." Chanyeol pauses and lower his aim a bit as Baekhyun's eyes full of tears and hatred appears in his mind. He closes his eyes, shakes his head to clear the image and refocuses the aim of his arrow, "It's been over ten years…by now his hatred for me must have been so deeply rooted that I don't think it's possible to get rid of it at all. All I can do is to act along and distant myself. Like I said, it isn't quite the same situation as it is with you and the King."

---

"Lu geeeeeee, what are you doing?" Liufei whines as she barges into Luhan's study room.

Luhan peaked an eye at his bored and whiny sister, "I am reading, can't you see?"

Liufei pouts and whines, "Don't read. Play with me."

Luhan shakes his head and bring his attention back on his book, "I can't, Xiaofei. Royal Father asked that I finish studying this today. Go bother Yixing or the others."

She whines pitifully at him, "Can't find Xing ge and the others. Fan ge is still not back from his mission. Play with me."

"Fine. Fine. After I finish reading this."

Liufei pouts, then an idea pops into her mind, "How about I hold the book for you and you give me a piggy back ride?"

"What?" Luhan didn't even have time to react, but Liufei already snatch the book from his hands. Sighing, he got out of his chair and bends down so she can get on his back. Both his arm secure her legs and she held out the book for him with both of her hands. "How will I see where I'm going? How will I focus on the book and learn anything?"

"I'll guide you! You're Wu Luhan, you can learn it even if you're up side down! No more complaining, let's go to the garden's lake! I wanna do some fishing!"

"I am not your Fan ge, I can't learn things up side down," he mumbled his complaints.

She pulls his ears and told him, "Stop complaining and sighing. Fan ge gives me piggy back rides more times than I make you do it since young. It's because I can't find him today that's why I'm bothering you."

Luhan chuckles, "Lucky me. I sure feel bad for Da ge and all of your other brothers."

"Come on horsey, less talk, more moving. Don't you need to finish this book today?"

He gave up, "Alright. Alright. To the garden's lake as you wish, Princess. Hold the book tight, I can't read if you keep shaking it around. Remember that this is your idea, if you fall it is not my fault."

Once they've arrived at the garden's lake and set Liufei up for her fishing, Luhan finally get to settle down on the grass next to her and finish up his book. When he finished his book, he joined her for fishing. After about an hour, Luhan managed to catch three while Liufei has no luck. She became bored and starts causing trouble by casting her lines over to his and get it all tangle up. After a couple times, Luhan gave up "Why aren't you bothering Lady Zhang today?"

"Well, I've been visiting her lots and just thought I should give her a break for a couple days."

"Oh good, you have consideration for Lady Zhang but not your poor brothers."

She laughs at him and then perks up, "Hey, want to listen to my guzheng? I've been learning from Yueyin and she's an amazing guzheng player."

Luhan raised a surprised eyebrow at his sister, "To think there would be a day when I hear you suggesting to play the guzheng instead of running amok within the palace… Lady Zhang sure is a wonderful influence on you."

The servants helped them moved and set up in one of the nearby pavilions. They serve Luhan snacks and tea as Liufei sits by her guzheng and plays one of the pieces she learned from Yueyin. Luhan was amazed with Liufei's improvements. Liufei was a quick learner which makes her grew bored of all her teachers rather too fast as they are too mindful of her identity and doesn't have anything new to teach her. She had also complained to her brothers about how much those teachers nags at her. She wanted to blew up at them but they were so polite with their nagging that she lost all interest and ended up sneaking away most of the time. Luhan smiles fondly at the clear improvements in his sister's skill. Looks like all she needed was a teacher that's similar in age that doesn't make her feel like she's being forced or controlled.

The music was flowing beautifully but then it stopped abruptly near the end. Liufei frowns, "I thought that was how it went but that doesn't sound right at all."

"It sounded fine. Isn't that how this piece goes?"

Liufei try playing the ending part again. "It is… but it doesn't sound like how Yueyin played it. She improvised some parts of the piece and it sounded so much better. Looks like I didn't learn the ending well."

"It still sounds beautiful to me. You've improved so much in your guzheng skills. Looks like we have Lady Zhang to thank for this," Luhan compliment his sister and hands her a cup of tea. He noticed her troubled look and reaches out to pat her head. "If it bugs you so much to not know the correct ending, why don't you go ask Lady Zhang to teach it to you again? I'm sure she wouldn't mind having you bother her today."

Liufei brightens up at the idea and quickly stood up from her chair. She pushes the tea cup back into Luhan's free hand, picks up the front of her dress and rushes off "I'll definitely play it correctly for you once I learned it!"

Surprised at how quick she reacted to his suggestion, Luhan was stunned for a second before yelling towards his running sister, "Xiaofei! Don't you need to take your guzheng with you?!"

She skids to a stop and run back to grab her guzheng, sends him a sheepish smile before rushing off again towards Yueyin's place. Luhan sigh and shakes his head at his sister. Secretly guilty that he pushes his sister off to Lady Zhang but he's also glad he can get back to his duties.

When Liufei arrived at Yueyin's gates, she ran into Xiaobai who told her that Yueyin was in her room with Ruyi. Liufei run off to Yueyin's room, intending to give her a scare.

Liufei waited outside the door to Yueyin's room, waiting for the perfect moment to burst the door open and scare the two inside. She hadn't expected to briefly hear what was discussed inside the room.

"Did you… list… onsite…?" Liufei presses her ears close but could only hear every other words Yueyin said.

Then she heard Ruyi answers, "No survivors… current accessibilities… not… dig any deeper…  walked… the garden. Here, I've added… layout."

"… missing a few… sections… area," Yueyin said then there was silence for a couple of minutes. Liufei thought it was perfect timing and was about to make her move but then she heard Yueyin spoke up again. "Strange. The guards staffing… different between… we saw and… told."

Liufei was puzzled. She tried to make sense of what she heard so far and then wonder why Yueyin and Ruyi is looking into the guards staffing. She then remembered about the assassination and thinks she knows what the two of them are doing. Her lips break into a smile and she left to look for her Seventh Royal Brother, Wu Nianzu – the prince that's in charge of imperial guards staffing for the imperial palace.

---

The capital city has enjoyed two weeks of peaceful and beautiful weather. The city gate's guard stretched his stiff muscles lazily before laying his eyes on the incoming dark clouds. It looks like these beautiful weather days are coming to an end. He hates his job when it rain. Luckily, there's only two hours left until his shift is over for the evening and he can go home to his wife.

He had thought those two hours will end peacefully like usual until a wounded imperial guard charges towards the gate on a horse. All the city gate guards immediately rush forward and form three lines of defense to block the unannounced rider. Once closed enough, the imperial guard yells loudly at the gate guards to move out of the way and that he has an urgent message for the emperor. The gate guards weren't planning on budging until the imperial guard pull out a jade crest that the elite royal guards and royal princes often carry with them when they go on secret missions. The gate guards immediately moved out of the way and let the imperial guard passes through. The particular gate guards kept looking after the imperial guard until he disappears from sight towards the imperial palace. He can feel that something big is about to happen and it got him feeling anxious. One of his fellow gate guard tap him on the shoulder to get his attention, and boosted about now having a little exciting story to tell his family when he gets home tonight.

The imperial guard ride through the city streets then run with all his might through the imperial palace to get to the emperor's palace. He usually would have minded customs and rules to greet people and to discard his weapon at the door had the news he's carrying wasn't so important. He managed to locate the emperor's personal eunuch and urges the eunuch to let him have an immediate audience with the emperor. After so many years serving as Emperor Taizao's personal eunuch, Qiangshan knew better than to question the imperial guard and delaying his time to meet with Taizao. Qiangshan quickly led him to Taizao's study room to meet with him.

"What urgent matter could there be for you to rush back here after I've just asked you to leave and not let anyone in to disturb me?" Taizao asks as he kept his eyes on the report he was looking through.

"Your Majesty, please forgive me but this imperial guard brings urgent news. I recognized him as one of the elite royal guards that you had me select to join the Crown Prince's group to Ningzhou."

"What urgent news could there be? Has Yifan not reached Ningzhou yet?" Taizao asks and Qiangshan told him he does not know. Taizao sigh then nodded, giving Qiangshan permission to let the imperial guard in. Once in front of Taizao, the imperial guard immediately got on his knees. "Greetings Your Majesty! I bring you urgent news that the Crown Prince is missing!"

Qingshan's eyes widen in disbelief. Taizao immediately drop the report he was holding and stood up to stare in shock at the imperial guard. "Who did you say was missing?!"

 


Author's Notes:

Hime - princess in japanese

Hope everyone is doing well :) I was holding this chapter "captive" in hope of giving you a double update but decided to release it now since it's been so long and I'm having a little writer block with the next chapter T^T