Siblings

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 31

Siblings

Liufei skip towards Yifan's palace, ignoring her maids' cries begging her to walk properly. She's happy to learn that today is a rare chance that Yifan returned early to his palace after the court meeting. She wanted to ask him all the details of the candidates that their royal mother had him meet with at the flower viewing event. Whoever Yifan chooses, it's only beneficial to get acquainted with the future empress as early as possible. That way, even if she were to cause trouble in the future, the empress will let her off easy.

She went straight for his study room and enter without bothering to knock or announce herself - an unspoken privilege that only she has. She saw Yifan sitting at his desk with his head in his hands. She frowned at the thought of him being overworked. Liufei knows that as a crown prince, her eldest brother has a lot of burden to carry on his shoulders. However, it saddens her to see him looking so tired like this. She quickly crosses the room to his side, worrying that he might be suffering from a headache.

"Fan ge?" Liufei calls out when she got closer to him. Just as she was about to reach out to him, he suddenly swings his right hand outward, knocking everything on that side of the table to the ground. Surprised, Liufei jump lightly and watch as things hit the ground. She turns back towards Yifan, "Fan gege? What's wrong?"

"Why are you here?! You don't think I have enough going on?! Why don't you go bother your favorite brother Luhan instead?!" Yifan snapped at her.

Liufei was shocked beyond belief. This was the first time Yifan snapped at her. No, this was the first time any of her brother even snapped this way at her. Ever since young, no matter how angry they are with her they would never even shout angrily at her. Five minutes silent treatment was about the heaviest punishment she got from them.

Seeing Liufei's shocked face, Yifan instantly regretted what he just did and immediately apologize to her, "Sorry. I'm sorry Fei er." He got out of his chair, quickly go to her side and hug her. "I'm really sorry. Please forgive me," he said as he tightens his hug.

It took a minute for both of them to recover from what just happened. Liufei slowly break from her brother's hug and look up at him, "Fan ge, it's ok. I forgive you." She held onto his hand with both of her own, "Won't you tell me what got you so frustrated? Is Royal Father overworking you?"

Yifan shook his head and pull his hand away, "It's nothing, just some governing issues. Sorry, I won't be able to play with you today. Maybe another time?"

Liufei nodded with a pout and Yifan smile apologetically at her. He bent down and start picking up the things he knocked off the table earlier. Liufei then left Yifan's study room.

Instead of leaving Yifan's palace, Liufei sneak around in search of Yifan's personal eunuch. She saw him carrying a tray of tea from the palace's kitchen and decided to hide by one of the hallway's corner. When she hears his steps coming closer, she jumped out and ambushed him.

The poor eunuch's soul almost left his body. He almost dropped the tray of tea he was holding, but Liufei helped him keep it from falling. "P…Princess??!!" the eunuch yelp in surprised.

Liufei's hand quickly flew to cover his mouth, "Shhhh…, not so loud." She only let go after the eunuch nodded. She pulls him behind the corner she was hiding by earlier to keep them from prying eyes.

"How can I help you, Your Highness?"

"Hejing, you have to tell me the truth or I will tell Fan ge that you started a secret gambling lair with other eunuchs within the imperial palace," Liufei threaten him.

 Hejing's eyes widen, "H…How did you know?!"

Liufei's raised an eyebrow and gave him a look asking if he's an idiot or what. What little secret in this imperial palace that Liufei doesn't know? She's always snooping around finding fun things to do and interesting things to learn. As the crown prince's personal eunuch, Hejing should have been the most well-informed eunuch in the imperial palace after the emperor's personal eunuch. Yet, he's wondering how she knew of his little secret. Sometimes he makes her wonder if Yifan chose him or their royal mother appointed him to be Yifan's personal eunuch. He must be appointed, there's no way her Fan gege would choose someone slow like this to serve him. But, would her royal mother choose someone so incompetent to aid her brother - the future emperor? Hejing must have some sort of specialties.

Hejing gulps and asks, "What would you like to know, Your Highness?"

"What happened at the court meeting today?" She saw him hesitated to answer and added, "I know I'm not suppose to learn of the politic matters discussed at court meetings. I just want to know why my brother was so frustrated. Is my Royal Father overworking him?"

Hejing let out a sigh of relief. Even if he has ten heads, he still wouldn't dare to be the one to discuss politics with the princess. It's good if she just wants to know about her royal brothers. "The Emperor did add more duties to the Crown Prince's list, but that wasn't why he's fuming with frustration. The Crown Prince is unhappy over the fact that the Emperor rejected his ideas for the reformation of the capital city's wall and guards' post."

"I'm sure Royal Father have rejected Fan ge's ideas before, but he's never reacted this way…"

"Well… it's because the Emperor openly asked for the Second Royal Prince's opinion during the court meeting, and accepted it in front of all the court officials and generals."

Liufei tilted her head in confusion. After hearing it, she doesn't understand what the big deal was. Rivalries between the princes weren't news. Her brothers should be used to it by now. Besides, she had always thought that the relationship between her three eldest brothers were better than the younger three. Just because their royal father openly asked Luhan's opinion, it shouldn't have caused Yifan to be so angry that he'd snapped at her.

"That's all I can tell you, Your Highness. I… I have to bring this tea to the Crown Prince. About the… uh… gambling lair…"

"I'll keep it a secret for now. Go and help my brother tidy up his study room," Liufei waved him off and Hejing quickly scramble away. Liufei can't make sense of why Yifan would be so frustrated over something small like that with Luhan.

Liufei doesn't understand that to Yifan, this was as if their royal father wanted to show people that Luhan was better and that Yifan is failing as a crown prince. Back then, Yifan wouldn't have thought of such things or gotten frustrated over it. He might even have given Luhan compliments for the well thought out idea. But ever since the assassination attempt on his life and his royal father's changing attitude towards him, Yifan tried but he just can't seem to force himself to see things in the same light. He can't help but live in doubt of his father, of his brothers… of himself and his own capabilities. All this doubt was frustrating him to no end. He hadn't meant to lash out at his sister, never in his life would he have wished to have acted that way towards her. However, at that moment when he heard her voice, he couldn't help but to think back to all the time that she would pick Luhan's side instead of his. He couldn't help and doubted even his own beloved little sister.

---

"Father, here's the residence's financial reports for this month," Yueyin handed the report to Weimin.

"Thank you, Yueyin. I am glad to have handed this job off to you. It made my life a lot easier," Weimin flips quickly through the report pages.

"Father, please view it more carefully," Yueyin said in a reprimanding tone.

Weimin smile guiltily at her, "I just don't see the need for you to bring this to me every month. I trust you and I know you are doing well with managing the residence."

"That doesn't mean you don't need to check it. Beside you, no one in this empire would let their unmarried daughter manage the residence's finance. If you get question one day on the financial matters, how will you answer them? As the master of the residence, you need to at least look it over to know what's going on in your own residence."

Weimin let out a sad sigh, "I am getting lecture by my own daughter. I must be getting really old. When this old man becomes gray and writher like a wilted tree, will you finally let me off from all this work?"

Yueyin helps him reorganize his desk and frowns at the large pile of papers, "I think that's something you need to ask the Emperor. I've never seen him giving you this much work before. Did you do something you shouldn't have again, Father?"

"I don't think I have." He held up some of the documents for Yueyin to see, "Look at these, this one should have gone to a third rank. This one is a sixth rank's responsibility. This one belongs to a fourth rank. This fifth rank one isn't even under my area of expertise…"

Yueyin could only laugh at her father's misery. It's obvious that the emperor is punishing her father for something. This kind of punishment does make her wonder how good the relationship between her father and the emperor is. A punishment directly from an emperor like Taizao usually wouldn't be something so… childish.   

Weimin let out a sigh, accepting his fate. He looks back up at Yueyin, "Where's your sister?"

"She's visiting her master and her senior brother's mother. She should be back in time for lunch."

Weimin thought for a bit, "The two of you never did tell me the name of Meiyin's martial arts master. I should pay him a visit to thank him for taking care of Meiyin."

Yueyin add more water to the ink stone and begin grinding the ink stick on the stone to make more ink for her father. "His name is Wong Jianjun," she said.

Upon hearing the name, Weimin's eyes widen at his eldest daughter. "Wong Jianjun?! How did you two got to know someone like Wong Jianjun?"

Surprised by Weimin's reaction, Yueyin dropped the ink stick. "Wh… What is it Father? Do you know Master Wong?"

Does he know Wong Jianjun? Of course. He is after all, Yiling's old time close acquaintance. Though Weimin had only met him once when he came to convince Yiling to not abandon the martial arts world, but Weimin couldn't forget that name. Although his wife had quit the martial arts world back then, but she still kept an ear out on the happenings in that world. Wong Jianjun was one of the names that she had repeatedly talk to him about. To hear the name of another man so many times from the mouth of the woman he loves, even a saint would be jealous. Weimin was definitely not a saint, so he did indeed become jealous. His wife had endlessly about it. To think that man had became Meiyin's master. Weimin wonder if Wong Jianjun knew who Meiyin's mother is.

"Wong Jianjun is a famous martial artist, isn't he? I've heard about him before." He picks up the ink stick and handed it back to Yueyin, "Has he… ask you two about your background?"

Yueyin looks questioningly at her father, "I don't think background matters much in the world of martial artists. I think that's why he never asked, but he seems to have already knew that we are your daughters," she takes the ink stick from him and continue making ink, "Master Wong seems to have heard of you Father. He once called you the famed strategist."

"That's just a rumored name by the people looking for things to gossip about. Don't listen to that kind of thing. Ask Meiyin to help me set up a meeting with her master. It is only proper for me to go pay him a visit."

"Yes, Father" Yueyin said and handed a brush to Weimin. She smiles as she eyes the financial reports that she handed to him earlier. He let out a sigh and begin to look through it properly.

He stops after the a few pages and looks back up at her, "Did you make a payment for that gift purchase for your uncle yet? Is it ready to be pick up?"

"Not yet, Father. Since it is still incomplete, the store owner said we can pay the rest of the fees when we pick it up.  I'll have it included in next month's report."

Weimin nodded, "I knew it was going to take longer to make a custom-made armor, but I didn't think it'll take this long. Looks like we'll be gifting it to him late."

"Late or not, I'm sure uncle will be happy to receive such a thoughtful gift. This armor will help to keep him safer when he's on the battle field."

Weimin nodded and went back to reading the report. After a couple more pages, a houseworker came to inform them that Ziyuan has arrived. Yueyin excuse herself and left the room so that her father and uncle can talk. Weimin welcome Ziyuan and served him tea.

Weimin used the tea and bow his head in apology to Ziyuan, "Didi, I apologize to you about what happened last time."

Ziyuan quickly reaches out to accept the tea and gesture for his elder brother to lift his head. "Ge, there is no need for this. Why would you be apologizing when it was my son who was in the wrong? You were right in that he's lacking discipline and manners. Besides, it has already been resolved. You don't need to keep feeling guilty about it," Ziyuan waved away Weimin's concerns and down the tea, "That was the first time you've gotten so angry to the point of pulling out your power over me. I am glad to see you finally make use of your clan head's power, and it wasn't unjustly done. If Yueyin and Meiyin were my daughters, I would have been ten times angrier than you had been. In the end, you were still lenient with my son's punishment and for that I am already thankful."

"As a parent, it is only right to be upset when you see your children hurt or being harmed. You have every right to be angry with me as well."

Ziyuan shakes his head, "I do love my son but it seems I've not raised him too well. He dared to give away a bracelet that I've custom made for his mother. The bills for all his brothel trips and wasted spending are stacking up nonstop. Since I'm always away, I tried to make it up to my wife and my son by letting them live a comfortable life. I knew that my wife dotes on our son, but I did not know that she was spoiling and raising him in such a way. Other young men his age has already gather some successes for themselves while he just lazes around. His reputation is worst than a beggar in this city. If it wasn't partly my fault, I would have disowned such a useless and shameful son!”

Weimin send Ziyuan an sympathetic look and pours more tea for his younger brother. "It's not too late to change things if you start now. I do not have any son of my own so this clan head position will most likely be pass on to you and then to Jihao. I hope to see the day when Jihao becomes as outstanding as his father and proudly lead our clan."

"I hope for the same."

Weimin thinks for a bit and then decided to speak up again, "Ziyuan, I also want to apologize to you in regards to my daughters making a scene at the Flower Viewing event. I knew of your consideration for our Zhang clan and wanted us to have representation at large social events. My daughters should have represented the Zhang clan well, but they failed to do so and even angered Empress Ziyi. They've failed your trust and caused trouble for your wife. For that, please accept my sincerest apologies."

"What is wrong with you today? Why do you keep on apologizing to me? I'm happy enough that the two of them attended the event. Yueyin and Meiyin haven't attended many social gathering events before. How could I fault them for their inexperience. Besides, I know Meiyin's personality well. I'm sure that wild child did her best to control herself," he laughs lightly when he thinks of his youngest niece.   

Weimin bite his lips. He didn't want to be at odds with his brother again right after they've just made up. However, he knows that if he doesn't say something now then he might regret it later on. "Since you know my daughters' personalities well… you should know that they're not right for palace life," Weimin said.

Ziyuan's smile falter a bit but he immediately recovers, "Whatever could you possibly mean? I simply wanted what's best for our Zhang clan. If you're worry about your daughters offending the Empress, it's alright. I've heard from my wife that Yueyin handled it well. The two of them even managed to befriend the Princess."

Weimin shook his head, "I know of your… association with Empress Ziyi, after all she was the one to convinced you to aid the Emperor. All these years, you might not show it but I'm aware which side you have chosen to stand on…"

"Ge, don't accused me with such unproven things," Ziyuan cut Weimin off, "I have fought and shed blood for this empire many times! I am sure all of its people know where my loyalty is!"

"I am not questioning your loyalty to the empire. I know it isn't easy to be wrap up in the politics and not pick a side… I just… I'm just hoping that what I am worrying about isn't true. Even if it is, I won't intervene unnecessarily in the path you've chosen to walk. However, I hope that you will leave my daughters out of it."

"I assure you that you are overthinking things. Also, I treasure my nieces as if they're my own daughters. How could I possibly ever cause them harm."

"I hope you hold true to your words."

"Did you call me here just to nag me again?"

"Ah… no, sorry. I wanted to congratulate you on your promotion. We've prepared a gift but because its custom made, it took longer than usual to complete. Once it's done, I'll have it deliver to you."

"Your gifts are always very well thought out, I wonder what it is this time. Please deliver it in person with my nieces and join my family for dinner. After what happened last time, I'm afraid the relationship between our two family has been a bit damaged. I hope to repair it to good terms again."

"I hope for the same. We are family after all. We'll be there."

---

Qin Chunhua has been in a very good mood since the flower viewing event. She was personally introduced to the handsome crown prince by the empress. This fact gave her a lot of face since it means that the empress has chosen her out of all the other candidates for the crown prince. Chunhua thinks she finally understood what her father words had mean. Once she becomes the princess consort and eventually the empress of this empire, then she'll have all the power at her finger tips to punish those Zhang sisters for humiliating her.

Chunhua steps away from her vanity desk and reaches out to grab her handkerchief. Looking at her outstretched arm, she suddenly thought back to the moment when the second prince saved her. She couldn't help the blush that crept up her face again whenever she thought of him.

"Young Miss? Are you ready?" Xiaojing's voice awaken her from her daydream. Xiaojing hand a face veil to Chunhua and when Chunhua reaches out to take it, Xiaojing noticed the bracelet on her young miss' wrist. "Young Miss, why are you still wearing Zhang Jihao's bracelet?" she asked.

Chunhua puts on her face veil, "Although I am vying to become the Princess Consort of the Crown Prince, but a smart person must always have a back up plan. Zhang Jihao is the only son of General Zhang, who continuously won battles and a favored subject of the Emperor. Jihao will without a doubt inherit his father's legacy and he'll also become head of the Zhang clan since the current head does not have a son. Marrying into such a powerful family with connection to the royal family isn't a bad deal at all."

Xiaojing continues to ask as she follows Chunhua out the door, "What about the Zhang sisters? Won't they cause trouble for you if you marry into the Zhang family?"

"This is just a worst case back up plan. The Emperor doesn't only have the Crown Prince as a son. He has five other sons that I can choose from. As long as I marry a Prince, I can pay those two back for the humiliation they've done to me. In the case that I do marry into the Zhang family, I might not have to see their faces since they'll be marry out. Even if they don't, they'll be under me since I'll be the wife of the clan's head."

"Young Miss, you are so smart!" Xiaojing compliments her.

The two of them stroll down the street with two family guards trailing a small distant behind them. A little while later, Chunhua saw Liu Lanyi standing by a small makeup stall. She makes her way over to greet Lanyi.

"Oh my, isn't this the Young Miss Liu? I am surprised to see you picking out makeup since everyone know how unladylike you are. Should I be addressing you as Young Miss or Young Master?" She picks up one of the lipstick jar and look at it, "It is only understandable that you would prefer to buy cheap makeup like this since you grew up in such a brood household. Even without a wife, General Liu shouldn't have raised his only daughter like a son. What kind of girl would carry a sword around and mingle with her father's soldiers like a boy? I don't even understand how someone like Young Miss Liu here could have gotten a high ranking in the list of celestial fairies ranking."

Seeing that Liu Lanyi still pretends to ignore her, she continues, "I do admit you have a little beauty, but it's not enough to cover all your flaws and bad reputation. No family would hope to have such a daughter in law. Or are you hoping to hold a sword and ride into battle like a mad woman?"

Lanyi puts down the face powder she was examining and turn to Chunhua, "Young Miss Qin, you remind me of a small dog that likes to bark at anything it sees. Just because it gets treated a little better than other dogs, it starts to think it can bite and bark whenever it wants. Such kind of dogs usually get beat up and thrown out when it annoys others too much. Also, just because it is a little good looking on the outside doesn't mean it still isn't a dog."

Chunhua was angry, she wanted to humiliate Lanyi because she saw her hanging out with the Zhang sisters at the flower viewing event. For three of her opponents to team up was not good news to her. She hadn't interacted with Liu Lanyi before and have only heard things about her. She didn't think that Liu Lanyi wasn't sensitive and embarrass at all with her own upbringing and even turn back around to compare Chunhua to a dog. Chunhua wanted to blew up at her but she must remain calm. It isn't beneficial now to make more enemies.

Chunhua force a smile and bow lightly to Lanyi, "Please accept my apologies. It seems there are misunderstandings between us. I had not meant to offend you. I was told by Zhang Yueyin and Zhang Meiyin to say such things to you because they described you as a terrible person. They've asked me to humiliate you in revenge for some horrible things you've done. However, it seems I've made a mistake of believing in them and judging you just through their malicious words alone. Now that we've met, Young Miss Liu seems to be a strong will person. How could such a person done the terrible things the Zhang sisters have described?"

"Young Miss Qin, thank you for informing me who my enemies are. But to just simply believe someone's words blindly like so… wouldn't I be just as gullible as you?" Lanyi said and turn to leave.

"Young Miss Liu, I understand that you are angry with me for what I've said to you. I do not blame you. However, in repentance I must give you my warning. The Zhang sisters aren't good company, it is best you stay away from them. It is true that they've manipulated me into offending you. They have malicious intent in befriending you. Please trust me, I only want what's best for you to repent for my action," Chunhua said in a hurry.

Lanyi turn back around and face Chunhua, "Young Miss Qin, I don't think we're close enough for you to ask for my trust and wanting what's best for me. I grew up in a brood household and have swing a sword around since I was three years old. I am not those dolls in a cage that can be easily manipulated by you like the other noble young misses. It's best you keep your act exclusively for them and stay away from me. Who's bad or who's good, my brood household had taught me how to judge for myself." With that, Lanyi left. Leaving a very angry Chunhua on the street.

---

It has been some time since the flower viewing event. Liufei wants to invite the Zhang sisters to her palace for tea. She wrote up an invitation and handed it to one of her maids, "Have this deliver to Official Zhang's residence."

The maid was about to head out when the empress suddenly comes in. The maid quickly got on her knees and bow in greeting to the empress. Liufei also greeted her royal mother and then tell the maid to go and complete her task. The maid was about to step out of the room when Ziyi calls out to stop her. Ziyi order the maid to come over and question her what the princess was up to. The maid didn't want to betray the princess that she serves but she was very scared of the empress. She fears for her and her family's life so she quickly confessed. Ziyi wasn't bother by the fact that her daughter wanted to invite someone for tea, after all it is good for a princess to become good acquaintances with other noble daughters. However, when she heard who the invitation was for, she became very unhappy. Ziyi told Xiaoming to take the invitation from Liufei's maid and tear it up.

"Royal Mother! What are you doing?!"

Ziyi turn to her daughter, "You can write another invitation. It should be address to ladies such as Young Miss Qin."

"If you are still angry with the Zhang sisters over what happened then you are being very childish, Royal Mother," Liufei said angrily, "Also, since you hadn't want to be a mother then who I want to be friends with has nothing to do with you. Please kindly mind your own business."

Needless to say, Ziyi has been very unhappy with her daughter's attitude towards her lately. She wondered where things had gone wrong. Was it because she hadn't paid enough attention to her daughter and prioritizing her son too much? Is the only way to fix this is to be stricter with her from now on?

Ziyi let out a sigh, "Since you don't want me as a mother, then I'll continue to be the Empress you hate so much. Don't think that I cannot discipline you just because you are the only Princess of the empire."

Ziyi order for Liufei to be locked up in her own palace and forbid Liufei's maids, guards and eunuchs from letting her out or helping her deliver any invitation to the Zhang's residence. Liufei had yelled angrily at her mother but she only turns away and left. Aside from the emperor, an empress' order was absolute. No one dared to help the princess even if they feel bad for her. An angry princess wasn't good news either. She would be destroying her room in a few seconds or cry all night and refuse to eat, drink or sleep. The life of servants with difficult-to-pleased masters are very tough.

Lucky for them though, their two saviors came over immediately to visit the princess after hearing that their sister was locked up. The princess has been throwing a tantrum demanding to see the emperor ever since the empress left. The guards didn't want to let Luhan and Yixing into Liufei's palace since the empress has ordered to not let anyone in. However, their reluctance didn't last too long since they knew that no one else beside these two could calm the princess down.

As soon as she saw her brothers, Liufei run up to them. "Where's Royal Father?! I must see Royal Father! I must tell him how mad Royal Mother is!"

"Xiaofei, if you don't calm down everyone will think the mad one is you," Luhan said as he pulls his sister in for a hug. He pats her back gently to help calm her down.

Yixing instruct the maids to leave the room and then turn back towards his sister, "Royal Father is currently busy and cannot come. Feifei, why have you fought with Royal Mother again?"

Liufei break from Luhan's hug and mumbled as tears start to run from her eyes now that the angry adrenaline has left her body, "She's so unreasonable… she didn't care before and now suddenly she wants to control me. Every little thing! I just wanted to invite my friends for tea and she doesn't even allow that. It has to be someone she chooses. It has to be people she approves! Or else I get lock up and not get to meet with anyone at all! I've had it! Is she even my mother?!"

Now it's Yixing's turn to pats Liufei's back gently to calm her down. Liufei grips her fists so tight that her knuckles have gone white. "If she doesn't love me then just continues to ignore me… why must she treat me this way?" the words escape her in a whisper.

Luhan takes her fists in his hands and gently pry it open, "Xiaofei, just calm down. I am not Royal Mother so I cannot say what her intentions are. Parents only want what's best for their children…"

Liufei wanted to protest but Luhan raised up a hand to stop her, "I am not defending her. You know that no matter what, I will always be on your side. I am just saying that maybe… just maybe you've misunderstood her intentions or maybe she just doesn't know how to express her love for you. You can't keep fighting with her like this every time. I just want you to try and think things over… because you'll never know if or when you might lose her… it'll be too late then to be angry with her or to miss her. She's already gone."

After listening to Luhan's words, all thoughts of anger and resentment gone from her mind. She could only think of how sad Luhan must be as he is thinking of his own mother who had passed away. She knows that she should not take the fact that she still has a mother for granted. It's not that she doesn't love her mother. Like any other children, Liufei just wanted her mother's attention and care. But not like this. She doesn't want this kind of restrictive and controlling attention from her mother. It's so suffocating. It's so suffocating being a princess. It's just so suffocating to be her.

Liufei looks down at her feet, unwilling to meet Luhan's eyes. "Is it wrong then? For me to at least be angry? Is it wrong for me to at least express my unhappiness from being treated the way that I do not wish to be treated?"

Luhan immediately shook his head, but then realize she couldn't see his reaction so he gently lifts her head so that she would look at him. "Xiaofei, it's not wrong. You're not wrong to express your emotions. I just hope you can at least remain calm in front of Royal Mother. I hope that one day you can properly speak with her and question her intentions for yourself. Ask her why she's treating you that way and then express to her why you're unhappy with how she's treating you. Maybe after the both of you really listen to each other, you'll move past the barriers and come to understand each other more."

Liufei nodded. She wants to tell Luhan that she tried before. Many times. But it's not something that she can do one sided. She wants to understand her mother too, but if her mother doesn't wish to explain herself then what can Liufei do? Liufei doesn't think that there were any possibilities of saving their relationship.

Liufei looks at her two brothers who has always been by her side. She thinks to herself that maybe she'll give it another try when her mother finally explains to her why she hates all the people that Liufei loves and wants to get close to.

Yixing pets Liufei's head gently and she lean into the touch, "If it doesn't hurt, you can give it a try when you're ready to. Do what makes you happy, Feifei. We're here for you."

Luhan gave his sister a smile when she looks towards him. "Why don't you rewrite that invitation to the Zhang Young Misses? We'll deliver it for you."

Liufei's face brightens but then her joy deflates as quickly as it comes. Yixing understood what she was worrying about and said, "Don't worry. Royal Mother forbids the others to help you, but that order didn't include us. Choose a location outside of the imperial palace, I'm sure we can sneak you out again to meet with them."

Liufei and Luhan looks at Yixing with surprised faces. "What is it?" he asked them.

Luhan laugh loudly, "To hear you suggesting for us to 'misbehave', I wonder if Consort Yang will blame me for polluting you."

"You don't need to wonder about that. My Mother is already aware that you are the source of my recent mischievousness."

Now that the mood has lighten, Liufei also laugh along with her brothers.

 


Author's Notes:

Double update! Please check out the next chapter too. My apologies for the long-awaited update. Hoping everyone is staying safe and well.

ge is the short version of gege - both means elder brother.

Er - this word is uh… let me see how to explain this… when use it with a short version of someone's name is like expressing dearing-ness or endearment. Usually uses by elder siblings to refer to their younger siblings, or by parents to refer to their children, or by husbands to refer to their wives. This word is not the same word as the er which means number 2.

Remember that Yifan, Luhan and Yixing refer to Liufei by a different version of her name. Yifan calls her Fei er. Luhan calls her XiaoFei. Yixing calls her Feifei. All three version expresses endearing-ness.

For any of you who was confused by the name Jaeseok from the previous chapter… My apologies. I have fixed the mistake. Jaeseok is Hiroki. I was going to name this character Jaeseok only to realized after finishing the chapter that Jaeseok is a Korean name. I tried replacing all the Jaeseok with Hiroki but somehow missed one. Jongdae, Junmyeon and Kyungsoo are suppose to be Japanese in this story and their setting was in Japan yet due to the early decision of leaving their first name as is, I got confused a bit while writing and forgot to name side characters with the appropriate nation.