The Fated Meeting

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 13

The Fated Meeting

“For this piece, hold down these strings on your left and pluck these on the right. If you glide on these middle strings on the right, you’ll get a sound like this…” Yueyin is helping Meiyin with her guzheng practice. This was the nightmare Meiyin had to face when she had return home late from training with Tao the other day. It was already evening and she tried to sneak in through the back door. No one was in sight except for the two regular house workers that guards the back door – she and Yueyin had already bribe the two of them so they will stay quiet about the sisters’ sneaking in and out of the residence. Meiyin thought that she had succeeded again as she makes her way to her room. She didn’t expect to find a very angry looking father standing in front of her room. He didn’t say anything and she had already change out of her boy clothing before heading home so she thought she could still somehow get away with it.

“Good evening Father” she greeted him with a smile, trying to act like she’s not at all guilty. “Were you looking for me?”

He still stood there looking angry and not saying anything. She was about to ask him again but stop when she saw her sister’s head peek out from behind her father. Yueyin shook her head slowly as she mouth we’re busted to Meiyin.

Meiyin glance guiltily back at her father, not daring to look straight at him. “I’m sorry?” she offered since she didn’t know what else she could say to make him look any less angry. After being lectured for what feels like forever, the both of them were grounded. As punishment, Meiyin has to double her guzheng practice hours while being supervised by Weimin himself. Yueyin, punished as the partner in crime, has to tutor Meiyin.

This is the third day of extra guzheng practice and Meiyin just want to die. She appreciates Yueyin’s patience in teaching her, but nothing is really sinking in. The only time Meiyin likes the guzheng is when Yueyin is playing it and she gets to dance with her sword to the music.

“Can you at least try to pretend to look focus? Father is looking this way” Yueyin whispered to her sister then let out a sigh. Teaching an unwilling person is ten times harder than teaching a non-talented person. Meiyin looks up at her and pouted. She pouted back at her sister. This is just pure suffering for the both of them.

That’s when their savior appeared. Madame Lin is walking towards them with a tray of tea and snacks. She looks over at the two young misses and see them giving her puppy faces and signaling for her to help. Madame Lin laughs internally at their childish pleas for help. She set the tray on the table where Weimin was sitting at with his book in hand.

“Here’s your tea Sir” she said as she took a cup from the tray and set it in front of Weimin.

He set his book down and pick up the cup “Thank you Madame Lin.”

“Sir, I was wondering if I can borrow the two young misses for a while?” as Weimin looks up at her questioningly she explains “You see, the Madame’s death anniversary is coming up and I need to go buy supplies to prepare for that,” she placed a hand on her back to support it and tries to stand straighter but couldn’t and let out a painful grunt, “I was going to but I pulled my back and it has not been easy to move about.”

“Are you alright? Should we send for a physician? Why don’t you have the house maids or workers take care of that?” Weimin asked.

“I’m alright sir, it’s just old age. A bit of rest will do” she waved away his concerns “Preparation for the Madame’s death anniversary has always been done by me. I don’t trust the maids or the workers to take care of it. However, I do trust the two young misses.” She looks over at them and they beam back at her. But when Weimin looks over they immediately went back to pretend to focus on the guzheng.

“You’re not trying to help them get out of this are you?” Weimin questioned Madame Lin.

“No, definitely not Sir! I just want some trustworthy help and I think preparation for the Madame’s death anniversary is something they should know how to do.”

Weimin thinks for a bit then nodded, “You’re right, they should know and take care of it in the future. Alright, you can take them and instruct them on what needs to be done.” She was about to thank him and head over to take the young misses away, Weimin interrupt and said “Madame Lin, don’t you think a person with a pulled back would have a very hard time making these delicious baozi?” he picked up one of the small steamed buns from a dish in the snack tray.

She smiles guiltily at him “Yes, it’s true if the person actually have a pulled back.”

“Madame Lin, you shouldn’t be helping them get out of trouble every single time. How will I discipline them if everyone in this house is always helping them get away with it?”

“Sir, sometimes turning a blind eye is also good parenting”

Weimin stay silent for a second then said “Why can’t I ever win against you and Yiling?”

“Because you’re a good man Sir” she said then bow and turn around to leave, taking the Zhang sisters with her.

---

Dressed in less eye-catching clothing, Yifan, Luhan and Yixing led the seven ambassadors on a tour around the capital city. They took them to famous scenic places in the city, showing them the Chinese people and its culture. They then took the ambassadors to the main marketplace where the most famous restaurant in the city is located for lunch. They all have decided to walk into the marketplace instead of riding the carriage and taking disguised guards along.

The Chinese Princes was glad to see that the ambassadors seems to be enjoying the lively atmosphere of the marketplace. They have stopped by several stalls on the street to check out the products. As they were checking out a stall that sells paintings, Luhan looks around. He’s starting to become bored with this escorting business, but at least it serves as a good excuse to be outside of the palace. He had slow his steps so that he can be at the back of the group. As Yifan leads the group, Luhan just trails behind to people watch. He didn’t noticed that Yixing was already at the back of the group until Yixing asked if he was bored.

The two of them just walk side by side enjoying each other’s company and the atmosphere. Suddenly, Luhan’s eyes caught sight of someone familiar in the distance. “San di, isn’t that the person that saved us?” he pointed at the person that was buying vegetables from a stall and was heading their way.

---

Xiumin and Jun had arrived at the capital city two days ago. They had rented a room at an inn near the marketplace. Xiumin was glad they had made it here on time because they had a hard time leaving the town they were in. When the border town people heard that Xiumin and his father wants to move out of town, they had tried hard to convince them not to go. They worried that young Xiumin would not be able to handle the burden of adapting to the city life and taking care of a sick father at the same time. He had to convinced them that they need to move into the city so that they can look for a good physician for his father. He also had to promised them that they’ll come back to visit once his father is better.

Xiumin had laughed internally at how ignorant those people are. They don’t even know that he can kill them in a heartbeat yet here they are worrying over him, a stranger they barely knew. He had thought the situation was ridiculous many times during his stay there. That’s why he hated this mission. He hated facing those kind and sad looks the town’s people gave him everyday. He hated feeling the sympathetic glance that they send his way everywhere he goes.

He doesn’t need their sympathy. It was all but a lie. A simple play he used to trick them to achieve his goal. Yet, they still pour out their hearts to him and treated him nicely. How stupid. They were all so stupid. He grip his chest as a feeling of guilt started to creep up. He reached inside his sleeve and tighten his hold around the sharp end of the dagger. As the feeling of pain creeps in, the guilt disappear. Xiumin closed his eyes tightly and when he opens them, he had returned to being the heartless leader of the assassin group.

“Son, are you alright?” Jun asked

Xiumin snap out of his flashback and return his attention to Jun, “I’m alright father, why don’t you rest some more? I’ll go out for a bit and see if I can find a physician or some medicine for you.”

“Be careful son” Jun said and let out some fake coughs as Xiumin open the door to their room and left.

---

Tao was on his way home from Master Wong’s cottage. He was lost in thoughts as he wander through the marketplace. He was a bit worried since he haven’t seen Xiaoyin coming to practice for three days already. He wonder if Xiaoyin got in trouble at home.

Tao blame himself. He should have convinced Xiaoyin to return home early instead of letting his junior brother dragging him to go fishing after practice. Tao didn’t think he would worry about anyone else beside his mother and his master, but ever since the cheerful Xiaoyin came into his life everything had seems different. He was fine as a lone wolf before. He didn’t need friends his age since his situation didn’t allow any relationship to last very long. He doesn’t question his mother why they were always on the move because everytime they have to pack up, she would always look so sad. He knows his mother is very apologetic towards him for not letting him have a stable childhood where he can make friends.

Thinking about his mother, Tao smile to himself. His mother seems to really like Xiaoyin. She was even asking Tao why Xiaoyin hadn’t come by to visit. When Xiaoyin can come by for practice next time, he’ll take him home for lunch again.

Tao stop by a vegetable stall and purchased some white radish. He placed the radish in the bag he was carrying and continued on his way home. He was thinking of making radish soup for dinner tonight when he heard someone call out.

“Excuse me mister benefactor!”

Tao looks around and saw a familiar man waving at him to get his attention. He can also see the other familiar face next to the guy waving at him. He was planning to pretend to ignore them but they were obviously making their way towards him. Seems the other men in their group noticed and is also following them over to him.  

“I’m so glad we’re able to meet again since we weren’t able to thank you properly last time for saving us” Luhan said when he arrived at where Tao was standing.

Tao froze a bit since he never had so many eyes on him.

“Don’t you remember us? You helped us fought off some bad people outside the city” Yixing said.

“I...It’s nothing, don’t mention it” Tao said feeling a bit nervous.

“Xing, who is this?” Yifan asked

Da ge, this is the person that saved us on our way back home last time” Yixing turns to Yifan and explain.

Yifan nodded then said to Tao “Thank you for saving my brothers. My name is Fan, may I have the honor of knowing your name?”

“My name is Zitao. I’m sure anyone who see something like that will jump in to help. My apologies, I have to go now.”

“Benefactor, why don’t you join us for lunch? it’s the least we could do to thank you” Luhan said when he saw Tao wanting to leave.

“Please call me Zitao. Thank you for your invitation but you seem to be busy so I best not intrude.”

“I’m sure our guests won’t mind having an additional person join us for lunch” Luhan said trying hard to prevent Tao from leaving.

“We don’t mind. The more the merrier” Jongin spoke up “It’s always good to get acquainted with a hero saving others in need.”

“But…” Tao was about to continue to reject them but suddenly someone bumps into one of Luhan’s guest and caught the group’s attention.

Everyone turn to look at the interrupter and see a young man on the ground. This young man had bump into Junmyeon and fell on the ground. “I’m so sorry! I was in a hurried and tripped. I didn’t mean to bump into you. Please forgive me!” the young man apologized.

Yifan had reacted quickly and caught Junmyeon before he also fell. “Are you alright?” he asked and Junmyeon nodded before turning to the young man.

“It’s alright, I’m not hurt” Junmyeon said then went over to help the young man up.

Jongdae picks up what the young man dropped and handed it back to him, “Are these medicine?”

“Yes, they’re for my sick father.”  

---

This was the first meeting of the twelve. Little did these boys know that their paths was fated to cross in a future in ways that none of them could possibly guess.

In the distant where the group of the twelve boys gather, the Zhang sisters was out strolling on the marketplace street. They were sent out with a list of things to buy from Madame Lin. Having finally escaped their home, the two of them took their sweet time going from one shop to another.

Meiyin picks up a mask from a stall, held it up to her face and turn to Yueyin. Her sister can only laugh and shakes her head at the playful Meiyin. When Meiyin puts the mask down and looks up to head to another stall, she caught sight of Tao in the distant.

Jie, it’s Tao da ge. Let’s go over and greet him!” Meiyin said excitedly and was about to skip over to where Tao is but was drag back by Yueyin.

“Meiyin, let’s not. He seems to be busy so let’s not bother him” Yueyin said when Meyin looks questioningly at her. “You can see him tomorrow at practice.”

Meiyin looks back towards Tao and finally noticed the other boys standing next to him. She pouted but nodded.   

 


Author's Notes:

Thank you everyone so much for subscribing and commenting! It makes me really happy to see more subscribers! and finally, the first comment! I'm smiling from ear to ear :)