It Shouldn't Matter

Beauties of Nations

Chapter 28

It Shouldn't Matter

"Zitao? How was your practice with Xiaoyin?" Madame Huang asks upon seeing her son returned home. "Have you had dinner? Shall I heat up some food for you?" she was about to head to the kitchen but seeing his dazed look, she came over to him. She waves her hand in front of his face, "Zitao? Zitao?"

"Mother?" he looks at her and then look around, "I'm home?"

"Of course you're home. Do you not recognize your own home?" she drags him inside the house and sat him down. She pours him a cup of water and handed it to him, "What's wrong? Did something happen during practice?"

Tao accepted the cup and down the water. He doesn't even remember how he got home. He was with Xiaoyin… they fought with some thugs and then… oh god he blanked out and left after that. Tao facepalmed himself frustratingly.

Xueyi observe her son in amusement. She wonders what could have happened for him to seem so flustered and frustrated with himself. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong or should I be making guesses?"

He turns to his mother, "Mother, Xiaoyin was… no he is not Xiaoyin… no… Xiaoyin he is… Meiyin… but Meiyin wasn't Xiaoyin… she is Xiaoyin and…" Tao try to explain but he can't seem to make any sense.

Xueyi look confusedly at her son, "Son, you are not making any sense. What happened with Xiaoyin?"

"Mother… my junior brother is a girl…" Tao said, looking almost like he was going to pass out from having to accept this truth.

Xueyi laughed so hard that there were tears in her eyes. Tao looked at her, stunned. "Oh my dense child, it took you long enough to figure out that Xiaoyin is a girl," she said as she wipe the tears from her eyes.

"Mother, you knew? Since when?"

She nodded, "Since the first time I met her."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"If you knew, would the two of you became as close and comfortable with each other as you are now? Besides, it wasn't my secret to tell."

Tao groaned in frustration and was prompted again to tell her what had happened. She stares at him in disbelief afterwards, "You ran away just like that?"

"I did not run away!"

"Well you didn't stay to let her explain and just left like that. The poor girl must be feeling so bad. You even left her to deal with the thugs' mess afterwards by herself. I never knew I raised such a heartless son," Xueyi said.

"That wasn't my intention. I… I just blanked out and wasn't… wasn't thinking straight," Tao explained.

"You weren't thinking at all! You better go talk it out with her tomorrow."

"Do I have to…?" Tao whined.

Xueyi pointed her finger at him in warning, "If Xiaoyin stop coming to visit me because you are too chicken to face a girl, then you'll be in very big trouble with me young man." With that said, she left for her bedroom.

Tao collapse helplessly on the table and mumbled, "Are you my mother or Xiaoyin's."

The next day, Xueyi drags her son to Master Wong's cottage. She suspects that Xiaoyin will go to Master Wong to discuss what happened, and thought that this will be a great opportunity for these two children to work it out. Sure enough, when they got there they can see Xiaoyin talking with Master Wong.

Xueyi and Master Wong greeted each other. Meiyin greeted Xueyi then rush over to Tao's side, "Tao dage?"

He glances nervously at her and then scooch himself over a little to increase their distance. However, Meiyin followed and get closer to him. "Tao dage? Please forgive me?" she pouted at him, hoping her usual pouting trick would work.

Usually, it would have worked. He always falls for it and let her get away with everything. But now it's not the same… he doesn't know how to react so he looks away.

Meiyin rush over to the other side and force her way into his eyesight again, "Tao dageeeeee, I am really sorry. Please forgive me?"

He looks away to the other side again and she followed over, not willing to give up. Xueyi and Master Wong laugh at the two of them. "Xiaoyin, just ignore him. You don't have to keep apologizing to him. This son of mine should only be mad at himself for being so dense," Xueyi said and then wave Meiyin over to the table where she laid out some snacks that she had brought, "Come, try some of these snacks that I made."

"Wish I could have seen the moment when he found out," Master Wong said and then take a bite out of one of the green bean snack Xueyi made. "This is delicious! Xiaoyin, come try some," he calls her over.

"Oh you should have seen his face when he came home last night. My poor boy couldn't even make sense of himself," Xueyi laugh as she recalls.

Tao's jaw fell open in disbelief and he point an accusing finger at them, "The three of you are obviously on the same side!"

Meiyin reach out and grab hold of his hand in both of hers, "Tao dage, I'm not on their side. I'm on your side so forgive me?"

Tao felt blood rush to his face and quickly pull his hand back. Seeing that he won't even let her touch him, Meiyin became very sad. She hides her gender from him for good fun but didn't think that he'll be this angry with her when he found out. She felt that she should probably give him some time to cool off before trying to apologize again. She turns sadly away from him towards Xueyi and Master Wong, "Sifu. Madame Huang. Please excuse me, I… I remember that I have to run an errand for my sister." After saying that, she quickly left the cottage. Not turning back to look even when Xueyi calls out to her several time.

Master Wong let out a sigh, "You made your junior sister sad even after she cheer up your life so much."

Xueyi walk over and gave him a hard knock on the head, "What are you still standing here for? Chase after her! Do you want to lose a good friend over something so silly?"

Tao definitely did not want to lose Xiaoyin so he quickly run after her. On the way, he thought to himself. Why must he be so stubborn over something like that? He made Xiaoyin sad just because of his own weakness. He is her senior brother and had sworn to protect her, but now he is the one that is making her sad. It shouldn't have matter whether Xiaoyin is a girl or a boy, she is still Tao's junior and good friend. Someone who have brighten his life so much… he wasn't willing to lose.

When he caught up to her, he calls out to stop her "Xiaoyin!"

Meiyin stops in her track upon hearing Tao's voice. She was surprised that he chased after her. She wanted to turn around to face him but she doesn't want him to see the sad look she has on her face right now. On the way out, she had thought a lot of negative things. She had thought of the possibility of Tao not wanting to see her ever again because she knew and played with his weakness. She had thought of maybe quitting being Master Wong's disciple so that Tao can be happy if he wasn't willing to forgive her.

She can feel Tao's presence coming closer. "Xiaoyin… I… I am sorry" he said. He doesn't know why she wasn't facing him. Perhaps his rejection to her apologies earlier made her mad.

He was about to apologize again but she spoke up, "Tao dage… I am really sorry. Please forgive me. I… I didn't hide my gender from you for fun… originally. My sister and I often go outside without bringing our houseworkers with us, so my intent was simply for safety reasons. Also, I didn't want you to look down on me at first for being a girl and wanting to learn martial arts… If… if you're mad that Sifu and Madame Huang knew about it first then that's not right. I swear I didn't tell them, they guessed it on their own…"

Tao knew Xiaoyin didn't have any bad intention for hiding her gender from him. Knowing her for so long already, how can he not understand her mischievous personality. His mother was also right that it was his own fault for being so dense. No reason to make Xiaoyin continue to feel bad over it. Tao muster up all of his courage and reaches out to grab Xiaoyin's arm and turn her around to face him. Internally, he thanks his ancestors that she was still dress like a boy today.

When she turns around, Tao's heart clenches upon seeing her sad expression. "Xiaoyin… I understand and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it. Um… uh… can you give me some time to… uh… adjust?"

Meiyin's expression immediately cheer up and she nodded happily at him. He smiles at her, "Also, I will never look down on you even if you're a girl. Besides Sifu, who else can match my martial arts other than you?"

Meiyin was so happy to be forgiven that she lunges forward and hug him, completely forgetting the fact that he just can't deal with that sort of thing with a girl. "Thank you Tao dage!"

While she's happy, he stood frozen in place. Completely broken down in shock. Over a hug.

---

Yixing had just returned to his palace when a maid rush over to tell him that his mother was waiting for him in the garden. Yixing immediately make his way to his palace's garden to greet her. He smiles upon seeing her watering a pot of jasmine flowers. "Greetings Mother," he bows to her.

Consort Yang turn around at the sound of her son and eases him from his bow. He apologizes for making her wait but she dismisses his worries. She then makes her way over to the next pot of flowers to water it. She looks at this particular flower pot for a couple minutes before turning to her son, "Yixing, I've not seen this flower in your garden before. It is beautiful."

Yixing smile and takes the watering pitcher from her, "It was a gift from Zhang laoshi. It is a type of Azaleas from Guizhou Province. Mother, if you like it I can have it send to your garden."

Yang Yuyan shook her head to reject his offer, "It was a gift to you, don't give it away so easily. So, you are still meeting up with your laoshi in secret," since this wasn't a question Yixing didn't bother reacting to it. His mother knew of his secret meetings with Zhang Weimin for a long time now.

She takes his hand and lead him over to the pavilion in the garden. The two of them sat down and she proceed to take out some snacks from the basket that was on the table. "It has been awhile since I've made these for you hasn't it? Here, your favorite layered rose pastry and green bean cake," she places each type of snacks on Yixing's plate. "If only the Emperor send you and your brothers out on less missions, then I would have more chances to see you," she let out a sigh, "I heard Luhan was hurt on your last task, is he alright now?"

"Don't worry Mother, Second Royal Brother is all healed up now," Yixing said as he happily bites down on the rose pastry, "You make the best snacks Mother."

Yuyan smile and pour Yixing some tea, "You best not let Chef Luong hear that or he'll be grumpy all month."

Yixing let out a laugh at his mother's mention of the famous grumpy imperial chef, "His specialty is only chrysanthemum cake. He's always grumpy so I can't imagine him being grumpier than he already is."

His mother also let out a laugh, "I think you've hung out with your second brother too much. I've only not met you for awhile and look how mischievous you've become."

He happily chews on the green bean cake and then remembered something. He was hoping to meet his mother at the flower viewing event but she wasn't there. "Mother, how come you didn't attend the Flower Viewing event?" he asks.

"I just didn't want to attend such event. Empress Ziyi hosted that for the Crown Prince anyway. Since I do not share the same intention or interest, I thought it's best I do not intrude on her event." She made to place some more pastries on his plate but then pause mid-way and turn to him, "You know I don't like those social events and yet you ask… could it be my Yixing is interested in getting marry?"

Yixing chokes on his pastry. His mother laughs at his reaction and quickly handed him his cup of tea. "Mother, please don't joke about such matters," he said after downing the cup of tea.

"Your Highnesses," Dahai, Yixing's personal eunuch, interrupted them. He bows when they acknowledge his presence and said, "Third Royal Prince, young master Huang is here to report for duty. Should I have him wait outside?"

"No, invite him in here," Yixing said and Dahai bow again then left. A short moment later, Dahai shows up again with Tao following behind him. The two of them bow and greeted Yixing and Yuyan. Yixing thanked Dahai then asked him to leave. He asks Tao to come closer to stand beside him, "Mother, I would like to introduce you to my personal guard, Huang Zitao."

Yuyan smiles at him, "It is nice to meet you Huang Zitao." She then takes a look at him and asks, "You are not a trained royal guard?"

"I… I…" Tao stuttered, not daring to look at her and also not sure how he should answer.

Luckily, Yixing came to the rescue. "Mother, Zitao isn't a trained royal guard but he is more skill than the royal guards. He is the benefactor that saved Second Royal Brother's and my life," Yixing explains.

"Don't be nervous, since you weren't dressed in the royal guards' uniform so I asked," she said then stood up and made to bow to Tao, "I have to express my gratitude to you for saving my son's life."

Tao quickly reaches out to stop her, "Your Highness, please don't! I… I do not dare to accept such gratitude from you. I was just doing the right thing and… and besides, both Princes have already paid me back for helping them."

Yuyan send a troubled look towards Yixing. She really wants to thank Tao but the boy seem so reluctant to let her bow to him. Yixing smile at her then make his way over to help her sit back down on her seat, "Mother, please don't make Tao feel troubled." Yuyan gave him a confused look so he explains, "You are a Royal Consort, instead of making him feel your gratitude you might actually be scaring him."

Yuyan nodded in understanding, "I see. My apologies, since I have not met with people from outside the palace gates for a long time, I did not think my position would…" she trail off. Yixing sit back down in his chair and invited Tao to also have a seat. Tao was hesitant but with Yuyan's encouragement, he finally settles down in the seat next to Yixing.

"So you've agreed to be Yixing's personal guard. I can rest assure now that I know his safety are in good hands," Yuyan said as she places a plate full of snacks in front of Tao, "To be so skill at such a young age, your parents must be very proud of your success."

Tao accepted a cup of tea from Yixing then look down sadly at it, "I… I grew up with just my mother."

"Oh, I am very sorry to hear that. Your mother must be a very strong and independent woman," Yuyan said.

"I've the honor of meeting Tao's mother. She is indeed such a woman," Yixing commented.

The three of them continues to chat for awhile. Dahai was standing inwait right outside the garden's entrance. Although the third prince had asked him to leave, but he is worry they might need any other assistance from him. He was just patiently waiting there when another eunuch come up to him. The eunuch stands next to Dahai then whisper to him, "Dahai, just who is that new guard? Third Royal Prince just easily exempt him from palace's rules when he's here. Now he even gets to sit down at the same table as the Consort and the Prince. You've served the Third Royal Prince for so long already but I have not ever seen you've gotten the same treatment. In fact, no other royal guards or eunuchs in this palace have gotten such privilege. Is he the son of some important noble? Did he bribe his way in?"

Dahai glared at the nosy eunuch, "Are you accusing our Third Royal Prince of accepting bribery?!"

The eunuch's eyes widen in fear and immediately shake both his hands in denial, "Of course not! I would not dare to do that!"

"Then mind your own business. Since when is it acceptable for you to question the Prince's business. Hurry and go finish up your own tasks. Once you are done, go receive ten whips for your nosiness," Dahai reprimanded the eunuch and watches as he quickly leaves. Dahai sends his glares at the other nearby curious maids and eunuchs. They all immediately scram away.

He let out a sigh at how tiring his job is. If only this third prince of his wasn't so lenient on the maids and eunuchs in his own palace then they wouldn't have become so daring. If he hadn't work extra hard to remind them of their places every time, he wonders how chaotic this palace would be. He knows how harmful the maids and eunuchs can be if they're allowed too much freedom. Dahai just wants to protect his prince from these kinds of danger, he actually doesn't like to do all that extra work. Imagine how much he wanted to faint when Yixing promoted him to become the third prince palace's managing head eunuch. On a positive note, Dahai thanked his ancestors that the third prince wasn't as much of a trouble maker as the second prince or the sixth prince. He wonders how his best friend, Changan, survives the second prince's palace.

 


Author's Notes:

Double Update! Check out the next chapter if you haven't already done so.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.