Love Confession

Clash of Colors

He was very good at maintaining a poker face. “Go somewhere with me.”

She looked past him toward the kitchen where everyone was gathered. Sehun didn’t waste a second. Taking her arm, spinning her around, and led her out the door after letting her put her shoes on.

Leading her by the hand he pulled her outside, across the yard, down the steps. Pushing the iron door open. Finding her voice at last she said, “I’m going to get in trouble.”

“Get in.” he held the door open for her.

She looked at him hesitantly. Falling a step forward when he put his hand at the back to urge her. Her gaze shot back to the house once more before finally getting into his car. Watching him get into his seat and drive off.

“My mom will keep them busy,” he said. “Don’t think about anything else.”

“What are you up to?” she wondered.

He didn’t answer. Zipping down the sunny street and pulling up at the park, where he had miraculously been waiting for her a while ago. Moving slowly, she stepped out. Crossing the field with him. Activity erupted around the park. So many people out to enjoy their mornings.

They walked past the service center where she had rented their bikes. Onto the flatter grounds many used for jogging or walking. Today they were walking. Tree branches stretched out above them providing a temporary shade until they moved past into the clearing. It got quieter as they moved farther from the bustling energy.

Going so far out that it seemed as if they had left the living behind. The air turned cooler. The green sparse. Nature’s music echoed around them. Suddenly turning Sehun walked onto the grass and sat down facing the waters. Calm waves sloshed into each other. Rolling in one direction. The only sound here next to the birds crying above the river. Guessing it was a signal, she sat down not too far from him.

What was up with him today? Making her all tense and embarrassed. He could have talked as they walked, but he hadn’t. Was he going to explain himself about yesterday? She would rather he not say anything, so she could pass it off as nothing. Even sitting here with him was making her nervous.

“Ask me again.” he said.

“What?”

“What you did earlier.” He reminded. “Ask me again.”

Her cheeks burned knowing exactly what he was talking about. Why the hell was he doing this? Namjoo’s eyes trailed off. Never experiencing this amount of embarrassment before.

What the heck!

“Namjoo.”

“Ok.” She snapped. Flustered and starting to sweat neck down. Heavily. Swallowing as went dry. Saying too quietly even for her own ears to hear, “Do…do you like me, Sehun?”

Quickly looking away she wished she could hate herself more than this. Namjoo wanted to slam her head into a rock. Maybe jump into the water.

“Yea.”

The jitter bug spreading through her vanished. Namjoo immediately turned to look at him. She hadn’t heard right; she hadn’t heard right she told herself. Her ears were messing with her.

“I like you.” He looked at her.

Stupefied, she stared at him. Asking dumbly, “Why?”

“Why can’t I?”

Ok…that was even more of a stupid answer to her very stupid question. Namjoo gulped.

“I know,” he said, “I have a lot of faults. I don’t have a job. I don’t make commitments. All I think about is how to have fun. I go out a lot, I spend a lot of money, and I do everything without thinking. I’m not a really great person. I have never valued anything. Your father probably wouldn’t want you to be with someone like me, but I shamelessly like you.”

There was a soft ambience about the way he looked at her. His gentle spoken eyes. He wasn’t frowning. He was…just looking at her.

“I like you,” he repeated again, “Namjoo.”

The air had transitioned so seriously Namjoo couldn’t pretend that this wasn’t happening.

She never would have guessed from the way she continuously joked with him, so this was really shaking her world up. This was the first time someone was confessing to her, and she didn’t know what to say.

Lest of all it be him.

“I at least want to be good to you. I’ll become a better person, so you don’t have to be embarrassed with me.”

Averting her eyes, she looked at the sky, the water, the grass, the birds flocking overhead. So, it was her turn to speak. What should she say?

This was happening so randomly. She wasn’t prepared.

“No one’s ever said these things to me before.” She took one glimpse at him then cowardly sprang her eyes elsewhere. Catching the almost smile on his face and heating up a hundred times more.

This was so embarrassing!

Namjoo couldn’t stand this.

“Ok,” it came out quietly. Stealing a quick glance to see he was carefully watching her. She blushed harder. Too timid to even say it, all she managed was, “Me, too.”

Her heart started racing so fast she could have hyperventilated. Becoming so dizzy with bliss when he dipped his head to the side and kissed her. Closing her eyes Namjoo tasted the warmth of his lips. Slightly peeking when he parted his mouth and caught him looking at her, too. Combusting inside when she saw his smile. He was so handsomely perfect. Namjoo stared into his eyes when he leaned in closer so charmingly, he literally stole her breath away. Shutting her eyes again when he kissed her. So softly she completely melted inside.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Mom,” he had said that morning, “can you convince them to let go of Namjoo?”

“Look at you,” his mother teased packing the food she’d cooked yesterday, “do you hear what you’re saying?”

“I like her,” he admitted. Witnessed her become fazed by the surprise of his sudden confession. Having expected him to never say it. At least not to her.

“I don’t want us to become family this way.”

Affectionately touching his arm, she promised, “I’ll do what I can.”

“I want to take her out this morning.” He told. “Do you think you can talk to them about that?”

“All right, I know,” she mused. “Do you see yourself, begging?”

He scowled.

Lifting up the bag of food she even further, “What has this girl done to my son? I hardly recognize him.”

He walked out making a face at her back. Now he was finally strolling through the park clutching onto Namjoo’s hand. Soaking up the silence because she was suddenly so small and shy. But he was so happy beyond words. He could have literally grown wings and floated up into the clouds.

Who knew feelings could do this to him?

Even her fingers felt frail and tiny against his. As long as their palms met, he didn’t want to let go. However hard his heart racketeered he really wanted to keep holding her hand. Honestly, he probably hadn’t had such cringeworthy thoughts before. So much that this was like a whole new experience.

Sehun peeked at Namjoo from the corner of his eyes. At once his heart hammered against his chest. She was so undeniably pretty it wasn’t fair.

“Namjoo,” he said trying not to become too bashful. Why did he feel so foreign even to himself? It didn’t make sense. He was someone who went all for it without second thoughts. Now he felt so jittery.

“Huh?” she blinked.

“Lets go on a date tomorrow.” His courage miraculously surged through. Again, his heart pounded like drums inside his ears. Nervous. Anxious.

Kind of aware Namjoo knew the means of dating but still on edge because she could say either yes or no, and he did not want to be disappointed. Also, aware he was crap compared to her. He was lucky. He knew he was god forsaken lucky that she had even let him kiss her. That she even wanted to be with him.

“A date?” her big eyes landed on him.

He earnestly melted. His cheeks drew up creating a shy smile. What the hell was he getting embarrassed for?

“Yes, I’d like that.”

The ground spun under his feet. Biting his lower lip, he fought not to grin harder like a fool. If possible, he thought the sun grew brighter the longer they walked. The world suddenly becoming prettier when their steps matched. The blue of the sky, clouds round and white, the grass heavenly green, the thick black of their shadows chasing every step. Babies crying, children screaming, people chattering equated a serene peace of everyday life, like lovers who opened new chapters each morning. Flowers lighting every footstep upon each minute they shared, breathed the same air. It felt like he was suddenly seeing the beautiful side of the world Namjoo woke up to every morning.

This was the first time he had ever felt this way.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Regrettably he drove them back to his uncle’s house. Intentionally driving below speed limit as he winded through the streets. Hoping to prolong the time spent with Namjoo. Before he knew it, they were standing outside the iron door.

“Can I hold your hand?” he asked in a desperate act to stay beside her just a moment longer.

Electricity jolted through him when Namjoo’s hand reached for his. Her nimble fingers glided through his. Smiling so sweetly up at him that he didn’t know what he should do.

They headed up the steps toward the house together. Wishing they didn’t have to be here. He didn’t have to send her back to a house that wasn’t her home, to a family that she hadn’t been born in.

Namjoo was just Kim Namjoo. The girl who wanted to marry the boy who owned the orange farm and who, also, Sehun didn’t want her to marry anymore.

He hurt a little when they arrived at the front door and she drew her hand away. Holding onto the hand she had clutched as if to keep the warmth trapped. He wanted to say something, anything. Perhaps something like can you not go?

The door burst open and Hyunjae looked them over. “You’re back?” he asked.

“Uh…yea…” Namjoo uttered.

Holding the door open for them he wondered, “Did you have a nice talk?”

Sehun shot the cousin a glance, wondering what he was prancing on about.

Namjoo asked, “What?”

Closing the door, he caught up to them. Walking on the other side of Namjoo, “Aunt said you two went to have a talk.”

“What does it have to do with you?” Sehun asked.

His stare transitioned coolly, “Just curious. You were gone very long.”

“Of course,” Namjoo cut in, “we were reviewing possible fields Sehun might be interested in.” Glancing at him she continued lying, “There were a lot of things to consider.”

“Why not ask me?” Hyunjae wondered. “I would have been more informative.”

“No thanks.” Sehun shot him off as they arrived in front of the kitchen.

“Looks like they’re back,” he heard his mother excuse. Grabbing her bag, “Then lets talk another time.”

Her smile only lasted until she bid Hyunjae farewell. Then touched Namjoo’s arm. Brushing past he was forced to follow after giving her a last glance.

His mother’s lips turned stern as the door closed behind them outside. Sehun asked, “What’s that look?”

“I asked them to reconsider Namjoo,” his mother grumbled increasing her pace toward the stairs. “They are very stubborn about letting her go.”

“They aren’t thinking about keeping her here.”

“That is exactly what they are intending,” his mother twisted around when they reached the iron door. Sighing frustrated, “I suggested they get psychiatric help again, and the talk led nowhere.”

“But she’s not their daughter.”

“It’s a concept that’s very hard for them to understand,” his mother sympathetically shared his emotions. “My sister…can’t come to terms with reality right now.”

“Then make her,” he angrily commanded.

She grabbed his arm when he turned to head back up. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to bring her home.”

She shook her head. “Don’t be impulsive. You won’t make anything better or worse.”

Gritting down on his teeth he relented. “I don’t want to leave her here.”

“She won’t be here forever,” his mother comforted. “I’m sorry, son. She’s going to have to bear with it just a while longer.” Sliding her arm around him she led him toward the car, “So, where did you two go?”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

She sat next to Aunt Youngja again. Although her husband didn’t say anything to her, Namjoo could feel his cold aura steaming off him. Not one word was spoken to her. Namjoo spent the entire breakfast on edge feeling like she had been outed.

Then Hyunjae touched her shoulder after putting his plates in the sink, “Go somewhere with me.”

Seeing that husband and wife were still in the middle of eating, Namjoo got up to leave with him. Calling out that they would be back very soon. They took a walk to the convenience store.

“I hope you know that no one actually believes you and Sehun just went to talk,” Hyunjae informed down the road.

Guiltily gazing up at him Namjoo made no remark.

“Aunt Gumja asked my parents to pardon you,” Hyunjae told. Surprised, Namjoo’s eyes inched somewhat. “My mother got upset, but my father got angrier. You understand the situation, right?”

This time, Namjoo lowered her eyes to the ground. They just wanted her to cosplay Chunhei.

“I don’t know what you and Sehun have going on, but you agreed to come. Remember that,” Hyunjae reminded. “You need to put my parents first. More so, my mother needs you.”

“What about you?” Namjoo asked. “Where are you when they need you?”

The convenience store was in sight but somehow also seemed so far away. So far that she was still stuck here walking with him.

He shook his head, “This isn’t about me.”

“How can you say that?”

“Because it isn’t!” his eyes bulged, his expression strained.

Taken aback by his unexpected outburst, Namjoo held her breath. Hyunjae always seemed so contained. A man with much self-control she didn’t think he could throw a glass across the room. Obviously, something had upset him.

Catching himself, he drew back. More calmly now, he continued, “Just…watch out, will you? And don’t keep contact with him from now on. You two will be like siblings soon.”

Increasing his pace, he pulled the convenience store door open and disappeared inside.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Namjoo plunged into bed the moment they returned. Burying her face into her thick blanket. Finally, by herself. With peace. With silence. Gathering her thoughts. Letting her emotions spill. Giggling to herself rather ersely despite the situation she was in. She couldn’t be bothered with Chunhei’s family. Though their problems felt like a bad congestion, Namjoo was more overrun with unwavering giddiness now that she was alone.

Excited for tomorrow’s date. Looking forward to seeing Sehun again. Replaying in her head his confession to her. Replaying his kisses. Feeling both embarrassed and happy. Still felt unbelievable that it had happened. Unable to help herself she giggled loudly.

Before going to bed that night, she went through the closet. Shoving one, two, three, four, and five outfits aside. Tossing many more onto her bed as she tried the possible candidates on. Spinning in her dresses in front of the mirror. Retreating to bed way past midnight and dreaming of riding a bike into a golden field with floating cotton.  

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Namjoo was late.

Sehun checked his watch again. He had arrived early. Woken up even earlier. Gotten ready. Went through steps one of carefully choosing his outfit to the last step of deciding on the perfect shoes to match. They had promised to meet away from his uncle’s home. Just precautionary measures, because if the old man caught them outside together Namjoo would get in trouble.

He wanted this date. He wanted their first official date to be perfect and without interruptions.

Worried, he glanced around the busy street. Traffic whipped by. Not many people were out today. Two or three others were waiting for the bus on the opposite street. Anxiety swarmed him. None of them he recognized as his girlfriend pulling a prank on him, but he did hope she was here somewhere intentionally making him wait until he’d had enough and she would pop out to surprise him.

His eyes wandered further down the street becoming thicker with traffic. Their first date, he thought, today was their first date. He really wanted it to happen.

Sehun quickly turned when he heard his name. His heart leapt three yards when he saw her standing on the corner of the street in front of the convenience store front. A blur of blue passed before offering him a full view of her. Dressed up in the blue dress he had bought her upon arrival with a pair of low black heels.

He laughed overly bashful. Feeling oh so special.

She was so pretty.

She was his.

His girlfriend.

Today was their first date.


***Compared to the previous 2 weeks, I am not in the mood to write this week :/ so I struggled with this chapter even though I was excited for it

***Last update for now. I have a busy week ahead with celebrating my sister's wedding, dealing with relatives, decorating, cleaning up and so on and so on. This is it for now. I hope you enjoyed it!