Caught

Clash of Colors

ϞϞϞϞϞ

They took the stroll to the cinema after he parked some way down the street. Their arms teasingly brushed. Walking slowly so his steps matched hers. Though numerous cars whizzed by and many others were out and about around them, he only paid attention to one thing.

Eagerness swelled through his chest. Could feel his fingers tingling. Staring through the corner of his eyes the way she had clipped half her hair back. Spotting part of her ear through the strands of her hair. The frame of her face that outlined her fragilely.

Sensing his stare, she glanced up at him with her circular eyes. Sehun smiled simply moved by her. Locking his arm around her waist to pull her a little closer his hand settled on the material of her dress. Holding her loosely because he didn’t want to scare her yet. Namjoo’s eyes averted just as quickly. Landing on his face a second coming, and he saw that her cheeks were a faint shade of pink. That was all it took for his heart to do a jump.

He couldn’t help but laugh under his breath.

Hearing him, Namjoo asked, “What are you laughing at?”

Leaning toward her ear so that his breath tickled her he said, “You’re cute.”

She pushed him away. Rubbing her ear and scowling at him. “What the heck?”

“You’re such a noob.” He teased.

“I think you are.” Namjoo stepped out from his arm. Walked toward the front doors she pushed it open. Realizing the following moment that she should pull instead. Enamored, he laughed again. Finally pulling the door open she called out, “And that was gross!” He watched her rub her ear before following.

Catching up to her in lobby, he grabbed her hand. “This way. You’re going to get lost.”

“I won’t!” she refuted. Jutting her thumb back, “Refreshments are that way.”

“After we get our tickets.” He pulled her toward the front desk to inquire about tickets he had purchased online.

Namjoo cut him off, “I thought we were going to choose a movie.” Pointing to a promotional poster for an action movie, she said, “I wanted to see that one.”

He shot her a contriving stare from the corner of his eye. Flustered after taking his card back. Gripping her shoulders, he steered her away, “Did you really have to do that?”

“Why?” she asked.

“It sounds like I’m taking a kid to see her first movie.” He said.

“And you like the cheesy, greasy type?” Namjoo wheeled around to ask.

Slightly tilting his head back, he replied, “Yea.”

She made a weird noise between a scoff, a huff, a laugh.

“Are you making fun of me?” he asked.

“Yea,” she mimicked him.

Sehun breathed disbelief when she swiveled away from him. Hurriedly following her to the refreshment line, he said, “I happen to be a romanticist, you know.” Confidently standing beside her he guaranteed, “You’re going to like the movie for sure.”

“I’m not really into watching people eat each other’s faces,” Namjoo mumbled.

“You let me eat yours.” He bluntly told.

Namjoo glanced at the customers behind them before slapping his chest. Murmuring, “You did not.”

He laughed and rubbed his injury. At the counter Namjoo argued with him over getting her own popcorn versus sharing one with him. In the end he bought her her own canister because they were holding up the line. She also got away with getting her own drink. Excitedly sipping on her straw as she followed him to the movie room.

A quarter of the way into the movie Namjoo ate nonstop. He thought maybe after the room darkened, they would hold hands or something. Instead, Namjoo hugged the bucket of popcorn against her stomach tightly as if he would take it from her. Maybe she would look at him shyly during an intimate part of the movie because she was shy, but her eyes remained glued on the screen. Not distracted by him seated next to her. In the end, he only rested his head on her shoulder. By the time the credits started rolling Namjoo was asleep.

“The movie was good,” Namjoo commented after walking out from the bathroom.

“Really? What was your favorite part?” he asked.

“Of course, the beginning when the narration starts because they met again,” Namjoo struggled to explain.

He watched her try amused, but decided he’d let her off. He was already too happy they were doing something officially as a couple.

Taking her hand, Sehun said, “There’s an ice cream shop down the street, but this time we’re sharing one.”

“I can’t get my own?” Namjoo asked.

“We’re sharing,” he reiterated.

They did share. Out of a large bowl not a small cone like Namjoo feared, which seemed to relieve her when she saw the examples on display. She was so despicably adorable he couldn’t help staring as she gobbled down the sweet fill.

“What?” Namjoo asked. Eyes focused on the melting ice cream she said, “I’m not feeding you, ok?”

“Fine, I won’t ask.” He said watching her take a bite. “Is it good?”

“It’s good.”

Grinning, he commented, “You eat like you’ve never had ice cream before.”

“The quality is different from the town,” Namjoo explained. Finally looking up, she told, “I’m not a book, so stop staring at me.”

Hooking a hand under his chin he asked, “I didn’t think you knew. You’re like…a new species I have to study.”

She frowned at him. Sehun smiled in response. She was too endearing for him to take her seriously. Maybe, he thought, he really did like her much more than he thought.

“Don’t eat too much. You’ll get an upset stomach later,” he cautioned.

“But you’ll buy me medicine, right?” Namjoo smiled knowingly.

Sehun held her hand more tightly on the walk back to his car. Disappointed that they only had this much time for a movie and something quick to feast on. He had to return her before dinner time in case his aunt woke up and caused a fit because Namjoo wasn’t home.

“Next time, lets just spend our afternoon eating,” Namjoo suggested reading his mind.

“Really?” he asked.

“Next time,” Namjoo confirmed. “I can’t leave the house until after nighttime.” She looked at him embarrassed like she’d suggested something she shouldn’t have. Adding, “You know…”

“Well, I won’t make you sneak out.”

Staring at the ground shyly she confessed, “I’d like to have dates at night, too.”

His gaze closed in on her. The smile widened on his face. Becoming so wide that he spit a laugh. “You do?”

Namjoo nodded.

“Then,” he said, “we can do something at night, too. There’s a lot to do in the city, you’ll be surprised.”

Sehun’s heart lit aflame when Namjoo smiled up at him. He hadn’t been so head over heels before. Hadn’t experienced the ground dissolving below his feet, his head up in the clouds, or his heart pounding so erratically.

He wasn’t one to believe in love at first sight, but maybe it wasn’t meant to be taken so literally. Perhaps he had been swept off his feet before realizing he was already far gone. Love had caught him first.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Sehun drove Namjoo back to his uncle’s. Regretfully.

Pulling up to the house he stepped out after her. Hating their farewell. Their time together had been too short.

“Namjoo,” he called.

In front of the iron door she turned around. “You didn’t have to come out.”

First allowing his eyes to run over her he smiled before slowly putting his arms around her, pulling her into his embrace. Leaning down to bury his face into her shoulder. Appreciate the scent of her. The person who had agreed to spend an afternoon with him. Willing to come out for him, and that had meant so much.

Did she know he was so grateful?

Withdrawing he stared into the light in her eyes. “I’ll call you later.”

“Ok.”

Letting his hand slip to her lower back he gently prodded her forward. Holding his hand up to wave when she opened the door and glanced back once more. Meeting with her eyes, that dainty smile. Filling his heart up greedily with the last sight of her before the door eventually closed. The disappointment set in real fast.

Their time slipping out of his hands as quick as sand.

He pressed his lips together. Bit down gently on his teeth.

Sehun hated this part the most.

Always saying goodbye to her.

Tomorrow would he be able to see her again? Or would it become the day after?

He already wanted to be in front of her already. Feel those eyes on him. That laugh for him. The hand gripping his. Her voice in his ear.

Sehun stared up at the house she didn’t belong in. Wondering how long they would keep her prisoner before setting her free.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Uncle Jaejin set down the newspaper in his hand when she cautiously stepped inside. Stretching her neck forward to make sure the coast was clear. No one was around. Hearing not a peep from the living room, down the hallway, from the kitchen.

She was wrong.

Halting like a rat in front of a waiting cat when he called out, “Where’ve you been?”

Clutching onto her tiny purse, Namjoo straightened from her cowering stance. Staring straight at the stairs, her escape.

“I went out.”

“Who did you meet? What did you do?” he asked.

Blinking Namjoo explained, “I wanted to explore the city.” Looking at him, “You know I’m not from around here, so it’s only natural for me to be curious about things. I just went to eat.”

His eyes lingered. Tracing her existence as if even from where he sat, he could smell traces of Sehun on her. Namjoo’s heart thumped anxiously.

“Really?” his tone dropped. He sounded persuaded. Lifting his newspaper up, he stared at the sheet, “I hope you’re being honest. Go on then. Your mom will be up soon. Come down to help her with dinner.”

Turning away Namjoo hurriedly escaped to her room. Closing the door and sighed.

The man always made her become so tense. Leaning against the door she breathed more calmly. Resting her palm flat against her . Feeling the internal organ leap into her ribs. This time not because of Uncle Jaejin but Sehun.

Smiling happily at the memory of his hug. It had felt so wonderful. So soft and gentle. The way he held her like she was the most precious thing.

She had never felt like that before.

It was strange how he made it such a unique experience for her. Pressing her lips together didn’t last long. The next moment her lips split into a wider smile. Giggling by herself.

Today had been so sweet. Namjoo had enjoyed every tiny moment of the way. Spinning around she landed on her bed gleeful. Also wishing, Sehun was here with her to share the moment. Was he bubbling with leftover happiness? Was he thinking about the hours that had been spent together?

Yes, she wanted to think. It was the same for him, too.

Flipping over she touched Sehun’s sweater. Pulling it into her arms she buried her face into the cloth. Feeling warmth spread through her insides. Recalling the night Sehun had taken her away from the hospital. Talked with her. Kissed her for the first time.

Also knowing he hadn’t wanted her to be alone.

She was so thankful she had him.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“The food is so plain these days,” Aunt Youngja complained at the dinner table.

“Should we order food tomorrow?” Namjoo suggested returning to the table with the two tablets for her to take.

“Delivery food can’t be trusted. Don’t waste money,” Uncle Jaejin murmured. “Chunhei can go grocery shopping in the afternoon tomorrow.”

“What?” Namjoo blurted.

Tomorrow she had wanted to go out with Sehun again. They were going to eat all afternoon…

“You have so much time on your hands, do something useful,” the elder man nagged.

“Don’t be so hard on her.” Aunt Youngja croaked tiredly.

“All she did today was play all day,” the old man chided. “She has too much time on her hands. She needs to make herself useful.”

Namjoo opened to argue but the front door opened and Hyunjae walked in. “You’re having dinner?”

“Son, you’re home?” his father called out. “Come eat.”

“I already ate.” He replied.

“At least come have something,” his father persuaded. His mother was already up to grab a plate ending the conversation straight then and there. Forced to join them at the table, Hyunjae found his seat across from her.

Namjoo stole a quick glance at him then lowered her eyes. Still tense from the way he had previously treated her. Stirring at the food absentmindedly Namjoo listened to them chitchat about what he did today, how his work was going, who and what his friends did.

The son was hardly around to lend any support but they still treated him so warmly.

After dinner, Uncle Jaejin took his wife to bed. Not before ordering her to clean up before going to bed. These days he was colder and colder to her like she was nothing more than a sore in the eye.

Hyunjae stayed behind with her. Joining her at the sink once he rolled up his sleeves. “I’m sorry about getting angry with you.”

Namjoo made no remark. Wouldn’t say it was ok. She knew she was here on her own volition but she owed no one. That was the truth and that was what she believed. If anything, this family owed her the truth about her sister, but she couldn’t talk about her yet. Where to start? With what proof? Saying Hyejoo is my twin wasn’t enough to cover the facts.

Would anything ever fall into place around here?

“It’s been tense since mom came back from the hospital,” Hyunjae started. “They were abroad for a long time. Dad wanted to take her away for different air. Mom was supposed to be ready for a new life, you know. She even sounded excited about coming back home, to the city, start anew.”

He let the water run. Namjoo watched the silver flush of water disappear down the drain. Could feel Hyunjae’s eyes studying her. Silently saying she was the demise of his family.

“My sister died.” His voice dropped. Pain arched around the breakage of his tone. “And my mom didn’t know what to do, how to live. It wasn’t easy for any of us. It felt like we were constantly in a dark hole being dragged deeper and deeper then it felt like it was going to get better. So it’s not easy when mom ends back up in the hospital. What if my family loses another person? Then it’s my dad next. Isn’t that how it’s going to be?”

Namjoo blinked. She didn’t know what to say.

“When things like this surround your family it’s harder to escape from it than you believe,” Hyunjae said. “I was upset, so I scolded you. I am thankful that you made the decision to come for my mother and that you’ll stay for her.”

Namjoo’s mouth parted.

“Go upstairs,” he gently urged. “I’ll finish the rest of the dishes.”

Namjoo didn’t move. The sound of the running water rushing out of the faucet became louder and louder. Until it became a voiceless scream in her head. Until she spoke.

“No.” she said. “No, that’s not it.” She blinked then turned to look at him. “No, I didn’t come for your mother.”

“Namjoo…” he said confused. “What are you saying?”

She had no proof Hyejoo was her sister but that they looked identical. It may be true that out there somewhere a person who looked like her existed, but this was not her case.

“I came because of Hyejoo.”

Hyunjae’s expression blanked, surprised.

“Hyejoo is my sister,” Namjoo said. “She is my twin, who is also Chunhei.”


***Perhaps he had been swept off his feet before realizing he was already far gone. He did fall when they first met xDDD 

***Hyunjae's family has some explaining to do tsk

***P.S. Sorry about the long delay in update. I took a small break from writing. I have things coming up tomorrow and Sunday so I may not update that quickly and then I work for another week before I have the next week off, so it'll be long quiet few weeks again. Sorry about that, but I will finish this story. I have the ending prepared already.