Five Feet from You

Clash of Colors

The moment diffused when she palmed the pad against his back with what felt like a slap. Sehun cried out in pain. Bending over to hug himself as Namjoo collected the remnants of her things and scrambled out of the guest room.

“Freaking…” he mumbled pulling his shirt back down. “What’s wrong with her?”

Groaning again when he realized she left the door open. Pushing himself up he took two strides toward the door to shut it. Sighing tiredly when he finally lay down to nap. He woke up half an hour later to no disturbance surprisingly. Lying there staring up at the ceiling. Feeling no doubt like he was in some kind of facility abandoned, uncared for.

Thirsty he got up to go find water. Discovering the house empty when he arrived in the kitchen. Having no clue that even out in the countryside there was as much to do as in the city, or so Namjoo and her dad made it seem. He didn’t get it. There were no constructed roads leading toward high rise buildings. No window shops within miles. Not a coffee bar or arcade to hang out at or meet friends. A fast food joint didn’t even exist here. Father and daughter were merely in the middle of nowhere. Constantly spending their time outside of the house and not glued to the sofa in front of the television, as if that was how they spent their money.

How did two people live so isolated from the city?

Sehun shook his head sipping the cool water from his cup. Walking out of the kitchen into the cozy living room he stared out the windows. Taking a step and another as he followed Namjoo outside. Moving along as she talked to an attentive group of couples. Showing them the cow in the pasture, the ducks in the field, and Klairs who was eating her usual bale of hay and in the process of destroying his pyramid.

Namjoo was speaking so energetically with her wide smile. Laughing with the group. He watched her walk out of view and flinched when Sambok jumped onto the perch in front of the window. His deep black eyes settled on him before he clucked.

Someday, Sehun promised, he would roast that bird.

Turning on his heels he walked back to his room. When he awoke again the sky was dimmer. Colors of dark blue merging with a purple-aqua hue. Tiny silver stars popping one by one outside his window. A pretty backdrop to the tiny potted flower still sitting on his window sill. He had watered it with the remaining water in his cup which was now empty and sitting beside the flower.

Grabbing the cup, he wondered if dinner was already cooked and they were just waiting for him to wake up. His head was a little dizzy from all the sleeping, but one thing was for sure. He certainly felt well rested. Better than any day since he had arrived under the steaming sun.

The home was still quiet. He wondered if Namjoo and her father were still outside doing whatever it was they did. Why didn’t they turn in already he wondered. Yawning as he passed the living room. His arms froze mid-air when he caught Namjoo sleeping on the couch. A book lay spread open upside down over her chest.

For the first time appearing like a regular person. Sleeping after work. So, he thought, she could appear normal too. Amazing.

Namjoo clicked her tongue and smacked her lips. Shifting to bury her face into the cushion. The book landed with a thud on the floor. He moved to pick it up but quickly whirled away when the front door opened and her father walked in. Pretentiously walking into the kitchen to refill his cup of water he eyed Namjoo’s father who had not turned his way.

“This girl…” he could hear the old man mumbling as he picked up the book. “Sleep the other way. You’ll hurt your neck.”

Namjoo groaned sleepily.

“Go sleep in your room,” her father chided. Namjoo mumbled, ignoring him. Uncle Kim sighed, giving up. Appearing surprised when he saw him in the kitchen. “You are up? How is your back?”

“I feel better.”

“Now that you’re here she’s starting to get lazy,” the old man smiled. “Don’t let her get away with it.”

He moved aside to let Namjoo’s father go through the fridge. As he rummaged, he asked, “So, how do you like it here? It must be very different from what you usually do.”

“Slightly.”

Uncle Kim turned to grin at him understandably, like he had read his internal thoughts. That he didn’t like it here. He hated the sun. Not a moment passed by that he wished he was back home in the cool city. Using his unlimited card to go on spending sprees and end the night with a drink or two to wind down. Wake up, having expensive coffee, and do the same thing again because that was his way of life.

“Your father is a generous donator to the farm,” Uncle Kim revealed. “He is a sponsor for our sanctuary, if you were wondering about our connection.”

Still, the old man smiled knowingly.

“I believe a person needs to have the will to change for himself,” he said. “New experiences enrich the way we perceive the world. I hope this will be a good experience for you here regardless how you think of us.”

“Why worry about what a city boy thinks?” Namjoo brushed past. Taking a cup from the dish rack she pushed him aside to get to the fridge for water. Shooting him a look, “By the time his three months are over he’ll probably return home crying.”

Sehun made a face at her as her father chuckled. Angling her head up to mock him she walked away saying, “Call me when dinner is ready. I’m going to take a bath.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“It’s so aggravating here,” he mumbled to himself after turning the lights off. Jerking awake again in the pre-dawn hours when Sambok starting crowing outside his window.

He had flipped over and covered his ears with his pillow. The stupid bird had gone at it nonstop, as if on purpose. At the breakfast table he felt drained and exhausted. So much that his dark bags stretched all the way to the floor.

“Didn’t sleep well?” Uncle Kim wondered.

“No.” he mumbled.

“Your back still hurt?” he asked. “I’ll go into town to get some medicated pads for you.”

It wasn’t his back he wanted to say, but he didn’t. There was no way they would possibly slaughter Sambok for him.

“By the way,” Sehun said, “where’s your annoyi…I mean, Namjoo?”

“She already ate.” Uncle Kim replied. Adding with a snarky smile, “It’s Thursday.”

Sehun raised his brow but didn’t inquire for an explanation. Heading outside after he finished eating. As usual, the sun was hot and ready to cook them all. Blinding him from the start. Turning away he walked past the house. Spotting the barn and Klairs eating again. A good quarter of his pyramid was depleted already. He sighed.

The click of the front door made he spin around to see Namjoo stepping out in a flowery dress and a jean vest. A large sun hat was hooked over her finger. As if intended, the window blew her hair over her shoulder when she turned after shutting the door. The first draft he had felt since coming.

For the first time appearing more feminine than any other. Like there was a coffee shop nearby and she was on a date. That kind of look. And for the first time, he was strangely at a loss of words. Maybe because she was kind of pretty suddenly but more because she had dressed up when she lived on a farm.

A farm…

Namjoo glanced over her shoulder than at him. Dipping a brow down her face. “What?”

“You’re wearing makeup.” He bluntly stated.

“Why?” she cooed. “Is it pretty?”

“It’ll probably melt like wax in an hour,” he muttered.

Namjoo made a face at him. Checked her watch and then walked away. Huffing he walked after her.

“Are you going into the city today?” he wondered.

“No. It’s Thursday.”

Frowning, “What about Thursday? Why do you and your father keep mentioning Thursday?”

As if summoned, Sambok scrambled up to them clucking noisily. Sehun moved aside as Sambok strutted between them. Pecking randomly at the ground as they walked toward the gates.

“We’re picking tangerines today.” Namjoo explained.

“At the orange farm?”

“Oh?” she glanced at him amused. “You remembered.”

Rolling his eyes. “Why?”

“Field trip.” Namjoo smugly grinned and waved when they neared the gates, where a group of morning goers were waiting for them.

It was literally a class of children and adult chaperones. From the get go after introduction, Namjoo ditched him to hang out with the female teacher and other mothers eager to learn about the farm. Forcing him to walk with the curious children who stared up at him with bug eyes.

“You’re really tall, mister,” one of them commented.

“That’s because you’re short.” He said.

“That’s not fair, I’ll be tall, too.” He whined before running off crying. When he reached the teacher Namjoo turned around to give him a glare. Tucking his hands in his pockets he looked away. The other kids giggled at him and some little ones called him a bully.

Sehun spent a good half hour rolling his eyes, wondering when they would reach this stupid farm. In fact, they were already on the farmland, but because Namjoo hadn’t explained that to him he huffed and puffed by himself. Falling more and more behind the kids. Until the hedgerow of brilliant trees surrounded him.

He wandered through the rows following the voices up ahead. The leaves brushed his arms and his face. Waving away flittering flies and jumping away from a spider before escaping into the clearing where everyone else was already standing never minding him. Not even a head turned when he approached the pretty yellow home with a wooden wraparound porch. There was a lawn table with countless baskets. A minute later without understanding what was going on baskets were passed around and he receive one without instruction. Just like that everyone disappeared into the field. He followed on automated pilot, confused.

Lively chatter accompanied his surroundings. Sehun watched them clip the fruits off the trees and excitedly place them inside their baskets. The children screeched. Instead of copying them Sehun wandered around.

The land was so large and the air here so clear. It was so different from the sanctuary that smelled of dung, the natural scent of farm animals, dry hay, and forever hills. Here, he noticed a strong hint of tangerines, green grass, and purified air. Deeply exhaling satisfied he smiled to himself. Walking through the trees until the noisy children seemed to be from another hemisphere.

Pausing between two thick trees when he spotted from five feet away Namjoo hanging out with a male. Giggling with him as he clipped a tangerine free and peeled it for her. Slapping his arm when a piece dropped to the ground. Their laughter echoed. Their eyes turned sparkly when they looked at each other. If he didn’t know better the ambience around them was so flirtatious, he felt sick.

Scoffing he turned away. Seating himself comfortably on the lawn table. Sweating under the glaring sun. Watching as the hour waned when one by one each child came to sit by him to gnaw on the fruit of their work. Not offering one piece to him as his mouth watered.

Two hours went by before their teachers and parents came to gather them. Namjoo didn’t even show up to tell him they were leaving. Taking a good guess on his own as the children disappeared one by one. He was tired and his feet hurt by the time they were walking back to the farm. Sehun wanted to be in bed and under the air conditioner. He felt frustrated for a wasteful day. There was no purpose of this trip but for Namjoo to meet her boyfriend. He stared at her back spiteful that she had dragged him along.

When they finally reached the farm, the children ran off to explore the farm. Leaving him to pointlessly walk around when Namjoo ditched him yet again to show the adults around. moving erratically as she gladly explained every story behind each saved animal. Hands in his pockets again he followed from far behind, wondering if she was really so happy each and every day of her life to be repetitiously telling the same story over and over.

Sehun glanced down when Sambok came running up to walk with him. “Go away,” he mumbled. The bird clucked at him before dashing toward Namjoo and the women, who shrieked surprised.

Namjoo’s face lit up calling out, “Bokbok!”

Sambok literally preened happily when Namjoo patted his tiny head introducing her best friend to the women who looked on in awe. That was it. He was having no more of her bubbliness. Wheeling around he stalked back to the house. Relieved when he stepped into a cool room.

“You’re back?” Namjoo’s father greeted after hanging up from a phone call. Walking up to him from where he was seated at the table splattered with paper he asked, “How did you like the farm?”

“Fine,” he spat.

“Is Namjoo still out there?” her father wondered.

“Talking with people.” He muttered.

Her father smiled. “Wait here.” He said then disappeared. He returned with a small black bag, explaining, “I went into town and bought some more medicated pads for you.”

“Oh…actually, I feel much better.” Sehun spoke more gently unsure how to react to his kind gesture.

“Take it anyway,” he pushed the bag toward him. Giving him a nod, he returned to the table leaving him be.

Retreating to his room he sat down. Letting the air conditioner wash away the heat building internally and the hot air that still lingered. Placing the bag aside he pulled out the box of pain relief patches. Exactly identical to the ones Namjoo had given him yesterday.

Tossing it aside he lay down. Pulled his phone out. Looking at all the text messages he had missed. The phone calls he hadn’t answered since turning his phone to silent mode. Ashamed. Kind of embarrassed to tell his friends his father had sent him off to teach him a lesson or two in this age and time. He didn’t like it here, but it wasn’t like he would disobey his father and leave. He had no money even if his friends would come rescue him.

Sehun believed he wasn’t that horrible of a son. At least he honored his parents who always tried to be there for him. They hadn’t wronged him. This was just...his way of life. Having fun, the way a guy like him felt was necessary. That was his definition of fun; hanging out with friends, at clubs or wherever and spending his flying youth with whatever women interested him, come or go. Because he didn’t want to marry yet or settle down.

He was a wild spirit.

Freedom still has its wings and he didn’t want to land just yet.

But here he was. With backaches. Continuously doing who knows what under the beating sun. Like he was born to toil day and night.

Stuffing his phone underneath his pillow he closed his eyes. Finally pushing himself up when boredom got to him. Smashing his head from both sides like a wrecking ball. It was so frustrating with nothing to do! Nothing to think about!

Sehun took a stride toward the door. Stopped and paced back to the bed. He didn’t want to go back outside either. It was hot and smelly. Everything about the sanctuary was stuffy. Back to the door. There was nothing to do inside.

Sehun wanted to yank out his hair by the time he stampeded outside of the house. Literally, there was not one thing he wanted to do inside or outside. But he would not run away or else he’d lose. Refusing to let Namjoo feel victorious enough that she had made him scamper for home or that it was so hard here he couldn’t stand it.

He would show her and that chicken.

The loud children and their chaperones were gone he realized. Silence. Today there was a small draft. It came and went as he looked around. Causing the grass to bend back and forth like they were holding a vigil. Several of the cows were grazing. Sambok was nowhere in sight.

Sehun finally spotted the pair far in the distance walking along the field. Mumbling under his breath he started after them. Sambok clucked when he saw him, but Namjoo didn’t react. He discovered why when he spotted the wires hanging from her ears. Walking up to her he yanked the earbud out of her ear.

“Ow! Hey!” she shrieked.

“Oh? You’re technology conscious?” he asked.

Namjoo made a face at him. “Where the hell have you been?”

“I don’t know,” he irritably said, “maybe I was sleeping.”

“Right, your popular nap time.” Namjoo replied.

“Yes, that’s right.” he answered.

Namjoo gave him a once over, “So, what do you want?”

Leaning into her face he stared into her eyes. Namjoo met his stare without flinching unnerving him. Turning away he remarked, “You’re wearing fake lashes.”

“So?” Namjoo fluttered her eyes. “Aren’t they pretty?”

He made a face at her. “I’ve seen better.”

Touching his chest, “Oh? It’s pounding fast.”

He swatted her hand. “That wasn’t funny.”

She smugly grinned. Holding up the earbud he had pulled out she wondered, “You want to listen?”

“Do it with your tacky boyfriend.”

Namjoo burst out laughing, which immediately got on his nerves. “Oh, Jun? He’s not my boyfriend.”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “You got all dressed up I wouldn’t have guessed.”

“Why? I can’t try to impress the person I like?”

He laughed. A little. “It would be phenomenal if he likes you.”

“Of course,” Namjoo sheepishly smiled and for the first time he saw her become shy and hopeful just the way a girl did when she had a crush. “We’re going to get married someday.”

Putting the earbud back into her ear she turned around humming to herself. He watched her strut into the distance with Sambok following. The draft blew again making her dress billow around her legs. The spitting image of a carefree girl who had it all.


***Namjoo has plans for her future that he doesn't. They are totally opposites.

***Anyway, a cover my friend Midnight_Stars made me :DDD She's amazing! Thanks again!

***Anyway, I don't know why there are so many subscribers, but thanks! I'm trying! I promise it will get more interesting biy the time we go to the city arc! That's when the drama will unfold