One of a Kind

Clash of Colors

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Where is Sehun?” her father asked when she headed downstairs after her shower. He was in the living room releasing Sambok from his manmade cage. Letting him slowly test out his legs.

“I don’t know. His room?” Namjoo replied.

“Tell him to come out. We’re going to eat.”

“Ok, sire.” Namjoo gave him a salute then turned down the hallway. Pushing the door open. Surprised because she thought it would have been locked.

The room was empty. Shockingly. Backing up Namjoo about closed the door, but stopped. Her eyes landed on the tiny potted flower she had placed in his room. Having forgotten about it. It wasn’t dead yet. The tiny green leaves were a healthy color and its pink buds were blossoming just perfectly.

Walking further into the room Namjoo stared at it. The flower was still alive. After all this time. A smile creeped onto her face. Taken by the fact that Sehun had kept it watered. He was starting to surprise her more and more.

Jolly, she called as she walked outside, “I think he’s outside. I’ll go look for him.”

She couldn’t hear what her father said because she’d already closed the door. Peering into the distance toward the cows she saw he wasn’t there. The evening was cooler now. A small chill was settling in, but not enough to require a sweater. Perfect for a stroll. The sun not too blinding. Creating a glazed golden hue along the horizon. It was the kind of weather perfect for shorts, sandals, a spaghetti top but Namjoo was in jeans, her old converse high tops stained with dirt, and a t-shirt. The wind breezed by carrying with it cotton fluffs from the nearby fields where stalks were high and uncared for.

Walking toward the barn she found him petting Klairs. Bringing a smile to her face. If he just exchanged his expensive flannel shirt for a simple t-shirt and basic pants, he would blend right in with them. Sehun still looked very much the native city person he was. That was where he belonged. That was where his roots were. Like she belonged here with her father and the animals, and Sambok.

“Are you best friends or something?” Namjoo asked walking up to them. “I thought you said you wouldn’t touch her.”

“You wish.” Sehun said. Klairs nudged him when he stopped touching her.

“Really? Looks like she thinks opposite.” Namjoo grinned. “Don’t let her get a crush on you or she’ll be heartbroken when you leave.”

“Funny.” He made a face at her.

“Father wants you to come in for dinner.” Namjoo stopped by them. Petting Klairs between the ears she said, “And stop feeding her so much.”

Rubbing her under the chin, Sehun asked, “I saw you have a bike.”

“Oh…” she laughed, “so you saw.” Noticing his gaze from the corner of his eye she explained, “Well, I said a horseback ride here is a once in a lifetime experience. I just wanted to make it an unforgettable memory for you.”

“Sure,” he monotonously said.

“Why?” she wondered. “Are you angry because you’re scared of heights?”

Sehun kind of rolled his eyes. “Want to go for a bike ride?”

“What?”

She watched him walk away to lug the bike out from behind the bale of hay. Getting on he gestured his head, “Get on.”

Flustered, she kind of scoffed, kind of laughed. “You’re joking. You’re going to go really fast and then topple me over for revenge. Right?”

He frowned. “Maybe I will. Get on.”

Namjoo bit her lower lip. Kind of nervous if he was up to something unpredictable. After all the pranks she had pulled on him, who knew what he could do to her.

“If you’re going to do something mean…” Namjoo slowly edged toward the bike, “I swear you better not sleep tonight. I can set Sambok on you.”

He laughed and rolled his eyes. “I’m not scared of Minseok.”

Easing her weight onto the backseat Namjoo looked at his back. Admitting now it felt strange. Would she really have to hold him?

She felt her cheeks flush when he looked over his shoulder, “You really want to fall off?”

prodded open, and she stuttered, “N…n…hey…I…I’ll kill you if you make me fall.” Turning away embarrassed she latched onto his shirt. Listening to him put his feet on the pedals and kick off.

First starting off bumpy causing her cheek to hit his back. Her hands spread around his hips and then the ride transitioned more smoothly. Riding further into the distance toward the end of the field, entering the ducks’ territory. Passing their small pond. Hearing them quack and hop around surprised by their approach. The wind brushed against them faster as they rode into the onslaught of cotton.

Namjoo’s heart pitter pattered. At the same moment exhilarated by the constant speed they were traveling at. Enjoying the thrill of the cool breeze. Happiness shot through her and she found herself screaming and laughing from joy. Stretching an arm around him to hold on as she held her arm out to try and catch the flying cotton.

Sehun made a swift turn at the end of the bordered gates and they rode back to the house. Glancing over his shoulder they smiled at each other having forgotten the sun was soon setting, the recent incident that had made them argue. Simply taking in the moment for what it was. For the first time sharing a sense of glee in each other’s presence.

That night she went to sleep smiling.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Compared to the first two months, Sehun started waking up on his own. By the time Namjoo woke up after Sambok’s crowing he was already outside. Sometimes she watched him from her bedroom window. Seeing him walk through the fields by himself. Doing nothing. Other times, Klairs trailed after him. At other times he did go with her to the orange farm as much as he stayed back to enjoy the air conditioner in his room.

They didn’t go for another bike ride, but he hung around with her when there were visitors. She also helped him with the next batch of haystacks. All without complaint.

Just when she was starting to find a friend in him the four weeks he had left had come to an end.

She made toast for him that last week in the mornings. The three of them sat down for meals like usual. And always her dad ushered Sambok out of the kitchen.

“You must be excited to go be going home,” her father commented at dinner one evening.

“Yes, I am.” Sehun smiled.

Namjoo glanced at him then to her food. “I bet he wants to pack now.”

Her dad laughed enamored, “In a few days he’ll be ready to run out of here.”

They laughed.

“So, Sehun, what are you planning to do when you get home?” her father wondered.

“I’m not sure,” he answered.

“I’m certain you’ll figure it out,” her father encouraged. “You’re still young, so there’s lots of time to find what interests you.”

Sehun smiled in reply. Another reminder that she didn’t quite know him well enough to read his feelings. After cleaning up, Namjoo headed outside to sit in the barn. Night had fallen. From where she sat on a stack of hay the full moon shone in a shade of yellowish-white. Tiny stars streaked the darkness like freckles. One bigger than the next like competing to be Miss Universe.

“If it was only this nice during the day.” Sehun appeared from around the corner. Finding a spot next to her he sat down.

“The weather is probably different in Seoul,” Namjoo said, “but you can’t get this kind of view there. I read that all the city lights kill out the stars there.”

“Well, I don’t really know.” He shrugged. “I’m not a sky gazer.”

“Well, you should,” Namjoo said. “The sky tells a different story every night.”

He frowned at her. Leaning back on his hands he kicked his feet. “You’re really abnormal, you know?”

Namjoo scoffed. “Of course, there’s only one like me in this universe.”

“Thank goodness.”

Namjoo scowled at him. Like a trifling moment her expression relaxed. One star died out and not a wind passed. An existence dying into memory like the next minute gone by without importance. Like this moment under the stars would vanish by morning. A strong sense of nostalgia created a hole in Namjoo’s chest. Something she didn’t want to talk about. People always come and go or so she learned. Sehun was no different. To him she was a passing wind like he was someone who came and went.

“You really don’t have any second thoughts about staying longer?” Namjoo joked.

“Definitely not.”

Namjoo laughed with a scoff. “Good. You don’t really suit our lifestyle.”

“No, I don’t think I can live like this,” Sehun replied looking around the barren yard. “Maybe when I’m old and wrinkly.”

“And living in an assistance home.”

“No way,” he retorted.

“Really?” Namjoo glanced at him. “I hear a lot of parents get sent to senior homes.”

“Nope. There’s no way I’m going there.” He shook his head. “I’m going to buy land and have people work for me.”

“Yea, sounds like you.” Namjoo agreed. “I can see you ordering them from your bed and slamming the phone down.”

“I’m not that rude.”

Namjoo eyed him. “Well, we’ll see about that. Want to make a bet?”

“What are you going to put on the line?” he asked.

Namjoo thought about it, “I’ll work for you.”

“Deal.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

That last morning Sehun woke up just when Sambok crowed outside his window. Opening his eyes and staring at the ceiling. Listening to Sambok continue crowing.

If there was one thing he learned, life here was as repetitive as it was in the city. The only difference that divided them was the mode of lifestyle. Here, there were no cars. No stores in walking distance. In the city he had everything he wanted at his convenience.

Where the air was clearer here the city air was polluted with noise, gas, smoke. A generous number of trees were protected and surrounded with sprawling green grass in the countryside. The earth was preserved and appreciated all the way to its grounds. No one second guessed their mode of life. Putting every effort to sustain the farm to keep the animals’ lives vibrant and healthy.

Getting up, Sehun brushed his teeth and washed up. Having packed the previous night so he wouldn’t have to worry about it this morning. He changed and stepped out to have his last meal with the family.

“You’re up?” Namjoo’s father called from the kitchen. He smelled food sizzling on the stove. “Take your time packing. There’s some time left before I finish.”

Sehun stepped out to look at the farm one last time. Still despising the smell of the cows. Turning away from them to go see Klairs who was gnawing on her early breakfast of grains and hay. Bleating when she saw him. Walking over to touch her one last time. Observing the rolling hills in the distance. The grass spreading into forever. Eyes moving over to the fresh haystacks he had helped Namjoo and her father pile up. Not into a pyramid but columns of fives and rows of eights. Hidden behind it was Namjoo’s bike and the wheelchair he had made for Sambok.

Leaving Klairs he peered toward the woods where he had spent a night searching with Namjoo for her injured friend. Recalling the adventure as a once in a lifetime event he would never want to experience again.

The breakfast table was set when he walked back in. Namjoo had finally come down. They glanced at each other quietly before she sat down.

He really had never met someone like her before. She was absurd all around, but otherwise was dedicated to the farm and was daddy’s little girl. A tad innocent but a little tough around the edges. She could get on his nerves, but he had to admit she was good at tricking him.

“When is the driver coming to pick you up?” her father inquired when they finally started eating.

“An hour.”

“Then you should hurry and eat.” Her father said. “Your parents probably miss you very much.”

“I’ll have to see about that,” Sehun answered. They had strung this out on him without notice. He had yet to decide if he would go back home angry or not.

“It must be nice knowing you’re going home today,” her father smiled. “I hope these past three months hasn’t been too hard on you.”

“Oh no, it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Sehun assured though it was kind of a lie. He had indeed hated the heat. The sun. The weather. The smelly cows. Riding that horse. The backbreaking work.

There was a long list of things he wouldn’t miss.

“Take care of yourself when you get home,” her father said. “We enjoyed having you here. I wish you the best.”

“Thank you,” he said, “sir.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Namjoo didn’t roast him at the breakfast table. They departed after breakfast quietly. Namjoo retreating to her room. He to his to gather his belongings. When he first arrived, it had felt like three months would be forever. Instead, time had flown past at the speed of light. Strange now that he thought about it. Suddenly, it felt like he hadn’t done much here.

Lifting up his suitcase he looked around the room. Feeling weird. It had been a good stay. Namjoo’s father had been kind to him. As much as he disliked it here, everything had been a kind of experience he probably wouldn’t forget. Things that belonged here did not exist in the city.

Maybe, he thought, he would miss a few things. This cozy home. Every meal prepared by Namjoo’s father. The fresh tangerines.

Namjoo was waiting for him down the hall. Kicking her heel against the floor and staring up at the ceiling. She turned when he approached. Saying, “I’ll walk you.”

Also, really, there had never been anyone as absurd as her. Everyone he knew in his circle lived on high times. Every one of his friends materialistic in some way. None of them claiming a rooster to be their best friend. Neither did they spend each day of their life bubbling with smiles over a poor animal’s story. Or easily forgive someone who made her hurt herself. No one he knew claimed she would marry the boy next door.

Quietly, they walked down the dirt road he had first arrived on. Sambok followed them. Bobbing his head and clucking among their silence. Each step drawing him further from the sanctuary. Going back home at last.

Not sure to what kind of life would await him. What he would do his first night home. Aware that after this Namjoo would tend to life like usual. Compared to him, she had her life laid out. She knew what she would spend the rest of her life doing. Having already discovered her passion, who she wanted to be with. Namjoo already had everything in her grasp.

She was, in his contrast, pretty wealthy.

At the end of the road Driver Min waited for him. Standing thin and tall beside the shiny black vehicle. A quarter of the way they stopped. Sambok clucked and paced back and forth.

He turned first, “I had fun.”

“Of course, thanks to me.” Namjoo smiled. He grinned in reply. “You weren’t so bad after all.”

“I’m,” he said, “not.”

They turned quiet. Not sure how to finish. What to say next.

“Oh…I uh…” he held up the potted flower he was carrying, “I’m going to take this.”

Namjoo looked at the flower. “It’s ok. There’s a lot at home.”

“Then…” he firmly smiled, “I’m going to go.”

“Yea…” she held up a hand to wave. “Good luck with everything.”

“You, too.” He said. Looking at Sambok, “Bye, Minseok.”

Namjoo’s eyes lit up as she broadly grinned. Sehun turned to take a step toward the car. Pausing and glancing over his shoulder. Putting a smile on again Namjoo waved. Urging another grin onto his face he turned around to leave.

Driver Min took his suitcase and put it into the trunk. He waited conscious that Namjoo was still watching him. Abruptly turning he walked back to her. Namjoo looked at him surprised.

“Just…” he started, “do you want to come with me?” When she seemed confused, he went on, “To the city.”

She smiled a little shy, “What would I do in the city?”

“There’s a lot to do.”

“I can’t just leave my dad…”

“You should see the city,” he said, “at least once, right? I live in Seoul. You can come look for me any time.”

Prettily smiling, she nodded. “Ok.”

“Then…I’m going.”

Holding up her hand again she waved. He glanced back once more before getting into the car. Glancing down at the potted flower as Driver Min drove off.