Kind of Friends

Clash of Colors

Sehun checked up on Klairs. Fed her. Walked around the farm to make sure the animals were doing fine. Cleaned out Dari’s shelter and made certain the ducks were accounted for. Did a walk through in case some wild animal had found its way in. Discovering him outside Namjoo’s father called him in for lunch.

“It must have been difficult, eat up,” her father said.

“No, sir,” he said. “Namjoo seemed very knowledgeable about what to do.”

He laughed lowly. “She’ll be glad to hear that. Talking about that girl, she’s been asleep for so long. Why don’t you bring up some food to her and wake her up? I bet she’s dying for something to eat about now.”

Preparing a bowl of soup and a fresh glass of water Sehun was sent upstairs. Indeed, Namjoo was still asleep. Unmoved from where she was since he left her. Setting the tray down on her desk he hesitated. Shaking her awake made him feel bad. After all that trouble yesterday, she should be tired from constantly worrying. And all that crying over Sambok. The darn chicken.

Maybe he would just leave the food so she could find it whenever she awoke. Contrary to his thinking, Namjoo awoke with a fright. Deeply inhaling as she rose up. Eyes popping widely open that it scared him.

Sehun’s eyes bugged out as he stared at her. Sighing, Namjoo loudly breathed and plopped back down. Finally seeing him when her head hit the pillow. First, she just silently stared at him as if she had forgotten who he was.

“Your father told me to bring you food,” Sehun spoke up.

Touching her forehead, Namjoo sighed. “I’ll eat it in a bit.”

Silence wove between them. She looked at him when he didn’t leave, so he said, “Sambok will be ok. The vet said he’ll be better in four weeks.”

“Thank god.” She breathed. Then she squeaked, “I was so scared.”

Sehun watched her wipe a tear away and laugh, but then she started crying again. In the end, he pulled out the chair by the desk and sat down. Waited for her to calm down.

“You might laugh at me, but Sambok really is my best friend,” Namjoo sniffed. “He’s the only one that has ever stayed by my side.” She looked at him from the corner of her eye with a glint. “So, don’t laugh, ok?”

“I didn’t.” he blatantly said.

When she caught him looking at the pictures on her desk she explained, “That’s Hyejoo. She’s my older sister by three minutes.”

“I heard from your father.”

“We lost her,” Namjoo said. The tears in her eyes glimmered as she stared at the ceiling. “We don’t know where she is.”

“You didn’t report it to the police?”

“Of course, we did,” Namjoo answered. “No one came forward.” Glancing at him, “Ever since, I haven’t seen my mother.” Then she perked up, “That’s right, you’re from the city. Which city?”

“Seoul.”

“My mom is there,” Namjoo cheered up. “Maybe you’ve met.”

“I don’t know. It’s a big city.” He said.

“Is it?” she wondered.

“Even I get lost sometimes. There are a lot of districts.” He said. “Too many things to do in a day. More than you imagine.”

“I can imagine that,” Namjoo grinned making him smile in return.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

The next several days he overtook Namjoo’s chore of waiting for visitors and showing them around. Imitating her stories and explaining that she was taking sick leave. Alternating between finishing his chores underneath the beating sun and taking care of Sambok.

Breathing a loud scoff when he discovered Namjoo had a bike and wouldn’t need to ride Dari into town. He searched the town all day for broken pieces of an adult walker in order to fix a wheelchair sling for Sambok.

By the third day when it was finally coming together there were visitors. Immediately recognizing them as the kid who had brought the furry white cat and his guardian.

“Good morning,” the adult greeted. “We were wondering if the owner was home. Jihoon here would like to say something.”

Sehun frowned at them. “She’s taking sick leave.”

“Please, just for a minute.” The elder lady tried.

Sehun stared at the kid. The door opened interrupting them. Namjoo hobbled out with a gracious smile and a wave. He blew out air stupefied by her.

“You stopped by. My father said you called this morning.” Namjoo walked up to them. Leaning the rest of her weight on her good leg.

“Yes, that’s right.” Touching the child’s back to urge him forward, she said, “Jihoon would like to apologize.”

“If he was sorry then why did he bring his cat in the first place?!” Sehun scolded. “This is a farm sanctuary, not a petting zoo!”

The child’s lips trembled. Scared, he turned to the elder lady for comfort.

Namjoo’s eyes went wide on him. Hurriedly comforting them she said, “It’s fine. You don’t have to apologize.”

“We didn’t intend to hurt anyone,” the lady shot him a look. Back to Namjoo, “I am so sorry about what happened.”

“No, no,” Namjoo kindly warded her off. “I heard you managed to get your cat, so all is well.”

“Yes, all is well,” she shot him a glare before turning to walk away with the kid.

Once they were out of earshot Namjoo him, “You didn’t have to yell at him.”

It’s ok?” he repeated. “We spent a night out in the woods! Searching for Sambok whose legs are broken and it’s ok?!”

“He’s just a child!”

“I don’t care! They should have known better than to come all this way with a cat!” Sehun yelled. “Guess the rest of the animals here don’t matter, because of a cat that almost cost your best friend’s life.”

Huffing he wheeled around to walk off. Namjoo hobbled after him unable to catch up. Calling out, “This is unfair! You can’t just go ahead like that!”

Groaning, he swiveled around to walk back toward her. Stopping in front of her, “You want to break your ankle or something? I’m not saving you this time.”

Namjoo scoffed, “I said don’t walk away. We’re not done.”

“Well, I’m done.” He stared into her face then brushed by.

“Sehun!” Namjoo yelled after him.

Frustrated, he brushed his hand up his hair as he walked off. At least, he thought, she could be considerate of the hell he had gone through. Spending a cold a night in the woods, helping her search for Sambok, and witnessing her break down at the sight of a broken rooster. At this point, she owed him for even nursing Sambok because she was incapable of taking care of herself.

Huffing he kicked at the ground.  

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“What the hell is wrong with him?” Namjoo murmured to herself.

Klairs walked up to her nudging her shoulder.

“Hi, girl.” Namjoo rubbed her snout. “Slowly, ok? My ankle hurts.”

Klairs nodded her head from side to side. Slowly trotting away. Namjoo stared after her puzzled. Limping toward the barn wondering if she wanted more hay.

“You’ll get fat at this rate,” Namjoo smiled. Klairs kicked at the ground. Bending her neck to feast on the large amount of hay Sehun had set out for her. “Oh…you have food.”

Blinking dazed Namjoo watched. Confused, she turned to head back to the house. Pausing when she spotted a weird walker next to the barn. Touching the hay as she hobbled forward, she leaned against the building. Staring at the broken walker with a sheet of fabric hanging between its rods. Struggling to picture in her head what it could be and if her father had done it and why.

Returning to the house she found her father starting on lunch.

“Is that yours out there?” Namjoo wondered.

“What is?”

“The weird walker by the barn.”

“Walker?” he repeated just as lost. And then, “Oh, that!” She waited a beat. “He wanted to make a sling wheelchair for Sambok.”

“A wheelchair?” Namjoo repeated. “Sehun? Really?”

“Yes. He was asking if the elders in town had a walker they didn’t need, so he went and got one.” Her father verified. Looking over his shoulder, “Why?”

“No. Nothing.” Namjoo shook her head. “I’ll be outside. Holler when you’re finished.”

“Where are you going in your state? You can’t even walk properly.” Her father yelled after her, but she was already opening the door to head outside. Closing the door, she leaned against the house staring toward the front gate where Sehun had disappeared.

Perhaps she should have been kinder to him instead of yelling at him. He had helped her with Sambok, and that had meant a lot to her. She had forgotten to thank him, too.

Namjoo patiently waited for him. Wherever it was he didn’t return so soon. Her father called her in for lunch. She told him to wait. Hobbling toward the barn to sit down on the haystack she continued her wait under the shade of the building. Finally, Sehun reappeared. Strutting toward the barn.

Now that he was here Namjoo didn’t quite know how to greet him. Pressing her lips together she offered a small smile. He wasn’t amused. Eyeing her flatly. Guess that wasn’t working.

“I saw,” Namjoo started, “the wheelchair you’re making for Sambok.”

His eyes darted toward the side of the building.

“Thank you.” She said. “It means a lot to me. And for staying with me out in the woods to look for Minseok.”

One of his brows dipped down his face. “I swear I’m going to look that guy up when I get home.”

Namjoo grinned, “Don’t forget it.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Sambok started putting weight on his feet, but wasn’t quite there. His splints were still on, so to cheer him up Sehun put him in the walker and pushed him around several times a day. The chicken clucked happily. These days the rooster stopped crowing outside his window. Blessing his morning hours with quiet and peace. Though confident that once the rooster healed, he would continue where he left off.

In contrast, Namjoo healed much faster. After several days she stopped limping albeit walking much slower still. Despite her father telling her to rest more she was up and about. Tending to the animals and showing visitors the land. Ordering him around as she liked.

One evening Shin Jun stopped by. Without his bag of tangerines, but noticing him outside he walked up to him.

“I heard you helped Sambok,” Jun started. “That was very kind of you. Thank you.”

Sehun stared at him. Curious who he was and what position he was in to be saying that. He made no remark.

Jun laughed, awkward. “Namjoo and her father are like my family, so I’m thankful. Did I come off weird?”

“Yes.” He bluntly stated.

Jun laughed again. Less awkwardly this time. He was amused. “You can think of me as family, too. Namjoo and I are going to get married in the future.”

Sehun raised a brow. “Are you her boyfriend?”

“Well…no,” Jun replied.

“I wouldn’t be so big to talk if I were you,” Sehun told. “Things change in the matter of a few seconds. For example, tomorrow, an hour from now.”

The door opened and Namjoo called out, “You’re here?!”

Glancing over his shoulder, Jun held up a hand to wave. Giving him one last glimpse, he brushed past.

“Sorry, I was just taking a shower,” he heard Namjoo’s voice dim as she invited Jun inside. Sehun turned around to frown at the house. Namjoo and her man weren’t in the kitchen or the living room where they had built a crate for Sambok while he healed. The rooster was alone and clucking.

Sehun stared up the stairs. Hearing voices and scoffing under his breath. The nerve of the guy to disappear into her room. His frown grew sharper when the voices quieted. So, he wondered, what the hell were they doing?

Climbing the stairs, he eyed Namjoo’s closed bedroom door with animosity. Was she not afraid of getting caught? And why the closed door?

Just as he reached the top landing the door burst open. Sehun leaned back surprised when he and Jun met eye to eye. Behind him Namjoo appeared. Eyes moving from one to the other.

“What are you doing up here?” she asked.

“It’s kind of suspicious for you two to disappear into a room,” Sehun outlandishly stated.

She first frowned at him then laughed like he was dumb. “I was giving him a book.” Attention on Jun, she excused for him, “He’s a city person, so he takes things too seriously.”

“Excuse me?” Sehun’s brows twitched.

“Then, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jun turned to bid Namjoo farewell before walking by. Sliding him a cunning smile then disappeared out the front door.

“Do you have some pet peeve or something?” Namjoo brushed past.

He turned to follow. Lecturing, “It is one’s common sense that a man and woman are only in a bedroom for one reason.”

“You watch too many movies,” Namjoo commented walking into the kitchen.

“Do I?” he asked. “Or maybe you’ve just never been near someone you’re really attracted to.”

“Sure, Doctor Love,” Namjoo teased leaving him after pouring herself a cup of water. He followed her to see her go up the stairs closing the door to her bedroom.

The following day he was just as irked with Namjoo as the previous. For a usual Thursday morning she had definitely put in her best effort to look her best. He waited for her outside with arms crossed. Baking underneath the glare of the sun. Listening to the clock tick inside his head.

“That really took you,” he commented when she finally stepped out.

“Why? You want to go to the farm with me today?” Namjoo asked.

“To stuff myself.” He followed her.

Namjoo scoffed disbelieving, but actually that was what he did. Stuff himself while the children picked oranges. Tossing the peels onto the earth as he chewed piece after piece. Watching Namjoo and Shin Jun flirt at the nearby trees. Giggling among themselves, as if they were the only ones here.

Clipping an orange, he tossed it at Namjoo. She let out a yelp when it hit her shoulder. Immediately looking around. Her sharp eyes instantly landed on him. Picking up the orange she threw it back. It hit his head. Instead of picking it up he clipped a fresh orange and threw it at her again. The fruit hit her square on.

This time, she huffed perplexed. Forgetting about Jun. Grabbing the orange off the floor she threw it at him before lunging toward him. To yank his neck most likely. He scurried through trees as Namjoo screamed after him. The nearby children joined in on the chase for the fun of it as he passed, causing a stampede. Thinking it was some kind of game. Shrieking with glee as they grabbed his pants. Circling the barn and shooting through the trees. Rustling the leaves, disturbing the subtly quiet afternoon. Slowing him down as they hung on. Finally catching up, Namjoo headlocked him.

He cried out, neck bent and crooked, “Ow! Ok, I’m sorry!”

Rubbing his injured neck when she released him.

“I was just playing around,” he mumbled.

“Oh? Me, too,” Namjoo smugly grinned.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“I picked some for you and your dad,” Jun told handing her a bag.

“That’s a lot,” Namjoo glanced at the straw bag.

“It’s not.” He assured. “I have so many trees here. There’s enough harvest this season, so it’s not a loss.”

“Really?” Namjoo took his offering. “Then, thanks.”

“I don’t know if your new volunteer likes them.”

“Oh, Sehun? He eats anything.”

“It seems you two get along fairly well.”

Namjoo waved him off. “We’re not that close. He’s leaving in a month, so he won’t be here for long.”

“Get home safe,” Jun said. “See you next week.”

Namjoo waved before following the kids back to the farm. These days her ankle was in less pain. Only Sambok needed to hurry along and get better. Then they could prowl the land like usual. Just the two of them.

Namjoo’s attention returned when Sehun walked by. Taking the bag of oranges from her. Increasing her pace, she grabbed one out of the bag as she caught up to him.

“Want a piece?” she asked peeling the fruit.

“Forget it.”

Leaning forward to peer into his face she asked, “Why? Are you mad? Because I strangled you?”

“You’re weak,” he glanced at her.

Namjoo scowled. “Should we try again?”

He moved away. She laughed. Throwing a piece into she moaned loudly. “It’s delicious!”

“Good, stuff yourself.” He said.

“You’re really not fun.” Namjoo said. “By the way, take some when you go home. You don’t get the fresh taste you do in the country when you’re in the city. There’s five weeks left, right?”

Sehun took a step and then another. In the distance the sun seemed to melt into the high treetops. Stringing white puffy clouds along. Exactly where they’d been lost just some time ago.

“Yea,” he quietly said. “Time really does fly.”