Swarm of Feelings

Clash of Colors

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Minjae scoffed, appalled. “What was that about?”

“None of your business.” Sehun said. “Why are you here?”

“I heard you were a little rough with my brother.” Minjae tucked his hands into his pockets, intimidating him. “Just wondering if everything was ok.”

“He tattle to you?”

The club friend laughed with a hiss. “I wouldn’t say.” Eyes on the house, “I heard he picked up a girl you were angry about. That her?”

“I said it’s none of your business.”

“Hey, man, I’m not trying to start something with you. Just wondering.” He shrugged coolly. “So, where’d you disappear to? You got married or something?”

“No,” Sehun flatly answered, “and again, it’s none of your business.”

Minjae rolled his eyes. Nudging his shoulder with a fist. “We’re cool.” Gesturing his chin toward the house, “Introduce me sometime. Are you planning on coming out tonight?”

“I’m not in the mood.”

“All right.” Minjae backed tracked. “Call whenever then.”

Sehun waited till he was around the corner before flinging the door open and walked across the yard. Namjoo was at the bottom of the staircase. Coming to a stop he looked at her. The chicken girl and all. In her jeans and t-shirt. Energetically roaming her farmland when he arrived in Gimje. With Sambok. Who trekked every Thursday with the children to the farm next door to see the man she had a crush on.

Innocent and naïve. Eyes shimmering as she traced her fingers over the clothing in the store. Mouthing breaking in awe at every item on display. Gladly holding up every pretty dress to stare at. Too shy to try them on.

And she didn’t know why his father had made him go down to their farm. Work his hands and feet under the glare of the sun, sweating every hour of the day. Depriving him of his money and convenience of life.

This passionate girl who just liked joking around didn’t quite know his background. Or understand that his hobbies consisted of doing nothing at all, but spending money, glorifying women for what they could give him.

Namjoo wouldn’t understand why his first non-intimate relationship was with her. Realizing he had gotten carried away by getting involved in her mode of life.

So, in what kind of light would she see him when she learned he was an irresponsible brat?

“Was that your friend?” Namjoo wondered.

“Yea…”

“Oh…if you want to do something with him, you don’t have to mind me,” Namjoo said.

Walking by he brushed her off, “I’m tired. If you want to do something, you’re going to have to do it yourself.”

Passing her he headed up the stairs closing the door to his room.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Maybe he was angry she had taken up too much of his time. Namjoo hurried up after him only to find out he’d closed the door to his room. Deciding not to bother him, she went into hers. Organized her new belongings excitedly. Since Sehun’s relatives were coming over on the weekend she would wear her new dress then, to look decent in front of them.

Bored, she went back downstairs. Sitting in the living room flipping through the channels. Fidgeting, because she wasn’t used to being glued in front of the television. Her muscles tingled with the need to do something. Switching the keys off she returned upstairs. Discovering that Sehun’s door was still closed. Perhaps she shouldn’t bother him.

That’s right. Since he’d taken her to the store already, she should leave him alone. Retrieving her wallet, she headed out. Scribbling down their home address before venturing down the street. Wandering past the other homes hidden behind the high brick walls. Really astounded that people were so private in the city. Back in the country everyone recognized each other somehow, and if not still greeted each other like long lost friends. Here, no one cared about another. Each absorbed in their phones or racing to get to another destination.

Finally leaving the quiet street behind Namjoo stumbled into traffic. Scrambling back onto the sidewalk when a car honked at her. Calming her racing heart, she decided to change her route and headed down the sidewalk. Passing quiet homes, local stores, littered streets. Coming across stray animals. Walking so far, she tired.

The afternoon sun was so high, the day had gotten warmer, and not one single person had greeted her. The city, in its own way, was cold. Feeling lonely, Namjoo sat down at a bus stop which quickly filled up not a moment later. A green bus plastered with a large advertisement of a pretty woman pulled up with a hiss. Everyone fumbled up to get in. Copying them Namjoo rose after them. Joining the line, watching the machine beep every time someone held their wallet up. She imitated the person in front of her. Obviously, the machine didn’t beep confusing her.

“Are you getting on or not?” an impatient lady behind her asked.

The bus driver stared at her pitifully. “Do you have a pass?”

“I need a pass?” Namjoo asked. “Oh uh…no.”

Apologizing, she squeezed past the persons behind her. Each of them not budging to make room for her. Finally off, Namjoo turned around scratching her head embarrassed. So, even here there were rules. Well, it looked like she’d learned her first lesson.

Shrugging it off, Namjoo turned to head down the sidewalk. Observing the endless activity around her. Thousands of cars zipped by. Braking at the stop lights. Underneath a cubed light blinked, a signal for pedestrians to cross under a limit of 25 seconds. On the other side, the sun floated above gray and black rooftops. Many, like her, walking their way somewhere. Listening to music, talking into their phones. Absorbed in their own life.

Namjoo thought of home. Of the aunties and uncles. The friendly kids gathered in a circle to play games. Glancing down to see that Sambok was not with her, and if he were here, she would hum and sing. But no one was here.

She missed her buddy. Her father cooking for her. The animals waiting on her. Suddenly, she was homesick.

Pulling out her phone to look busy like everyone else, she dialed home.

“Oh, Namjoo?” her father picked up.

“Dad, what are you doing?” Namjoo asked.

Covering the mouth piece, he called out to someone before getting back to her, “I was just yelling at Sambok to leave the birds alone. Why are you calling? You should be playing.”

“I am,” Namjoo energetically said, “I just ate some bean sprout soup, and it tastes so much better than yours.”

“That’s good,” her father laughed. “Eat a lot before you come back home.”

“Of course. I’m going to eat so much that I’ll get tired of your food.”

“Is that all you did today? Eat?”

“No. I went to the store. The clothes are so expensive!” Namjoo chattered. “And, I went to the park. And,” she looked around to see a sign seeking for help at a dog café, “a dog café.”

“That’s great,” her father commented. “Oh, look, I have to get going. Junhee needs my help. You have lots of fun, ok?”

“Oh…yea,” her tone dropped. “I’ll talk to you later.”

Hanging up, Namjoo lowered her phone with a sigh. She couldn’t say she missed him. It would make her silly for coming up to the city without him.

in a breath, she turned around. After meeting Sehun’s relatives this weekend, she would tell his family she was going back home. Cheering up, she decided to buy some ice cream. If only she could remember where she’d seen that convenience store.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Why are you down here alone?” his father asked from the counter where he was helping his wife prepare dinner.

“Why?” Sehun asked.

Glancing over her shoulder, his mother said, “Where is Namjoo? We’re going to have dinner.”

Pivoting around he dragged himself up the stairs. Knocking on her door. “Hey, come out. Dinner is ready.”

No one replied.

“Chicken girl.” He knocked again.

Nothing.

Frowning, he pressed his ear to the door. Really couldn’t hear anything. Twisting the knob, he opened the door to find the room empty. Namjoo’s backpack was on top of the dresser. Running back down the stairs he said, “Where’d she go?”

“What are you talking about?” his father asked.

He stared at them. They stared back.

“Oh no…” his mother mumbled. “Does she know her way around? What if she gets lost?”

Sehun groaned, sighed. “I’ll go look for her.”

Opening the door, he sprung out of the house, down the road, around the corner. Walking right and left around the block. Damning the idiot. Pulling his phone out then remembering he didn’t know her number.

“Freaking…” he hissed. Swiveling around and skidding to a halt when he saw Namjoo walking with a popsicle in her hand, a tiny bag dangling off her arm.

Raising his voice, “Where the hell have you been?!”

Her eyes went round.

Stomping toward her, Sehun stared at the convenience store bag. Groaning, “You should have said something if you were going to go off by yourself!”

“Oh…I…”

“God! You don’t even know the city! Look at you…”

Namjoo stared at him blankly, then retaliated, “Why are you getting angry with me?”

Sehun glared at her then turned around to walk back home. Namjoo intentionally pushed him as she walked past, leaving him behind.

When he walked back inside, his parents were noisily talking happily.

“Oh, you didn’t have to.”

“She likes sweets,” his father chuckled. “I’ll take this.”

“So, what did you go do?” his mother wondered.

“I tried riding the bus, but I learned you need a pass I think that’s what it was.”

“Some buses are like that,” his mother softly said. “Next time, take the local city buses. They’re the blue ones. It costs fifty cents for a ride anywhere.”

Like their perfect daughter, Namjoo nodded ecstatically. He watched upset and headed straight upstairs after dinner. Sulking by himself. Looking up when there was a knock on his door. Namjoo poked her head in with a playful smile.

“This is where you were hiding.” Opening the door, she invited herself in.

“What are you doing?” he asked upon her invasion.

“You’re weirdly neat,” Namjoo commented with her hands locked behind her. He watched her look around. No one but his parents had been in here before.

Sehun tilted his head back when she came closer. Frowning harder now. Curious about how daring she was going to be. Holding back a gulp as his eyes traced her torso up to her mischievous face. Noting her jawline. The curve of her neck. Staring up at her. Then she abruptly stuck a plastic wrapper into his face. Ruining the moment.

Sehun stared into the face of a smiling marshmallow lollipop.

“What the…”

“It’s too cute for you,” Namjoo said, “but there wasn’t any mean looking one, so I had to buy this.” Urging it into his face, “Take it. It’s yours.”

He swatted her hand away. “Take it away.”

“I bought it for you.” She said.

He glanced at the too happy face with a nasty frown.

Flipping it around, Namjoo complimented, “It’s cute.”

She was…so irritable.

Eyes on him, “You really don’t want it? Then I’ll have it.”

As she turned to walk away, he snatched it from her. “You can’t take back something you’ve already given away.”

She smirked, which irritated him more. “Then have it. Anyway, I’m going to shower first.”

Sehun waited until she left. Spinning the lollipop around he stared into its face. Scoffing with a smile.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Namjoo had just laid down when the knock on the door made her toss the blanket aside and get up. Sehun was on the other side.

“What?” she asked. Bobbing her head back when he stuck his phone into her face.

“Give me your number.” He said.

Namjoo stared at the phone. “Now?”

“Before I forget.” He shoved it further into her face.

Annoyed, Namjoo swiped it from him. Quickly filling in the blanks then threw it at him. He clumsily caught it before scowling at her. Pressing a button to call her phone. It went off noisily.

“In case you were playing around and gave me a wrong number.” He said. Pressing some buttons, he said aloud, “You should be called Chicken Girl.”

Namjoo scoffed. “Are you serious?”

Flipping the screen around he showed her the name. “See?”

Smugly smiling, she said, “How cute.”

His eyes turned morbid. “It’s not.”

“I would like to go to sleep now.” Holding a hand up to wave, “Bye.” Then she closed the door breathing a laugh.

Jumping into bed she grabbed her phone. Tapping the buttons to save Sehun into her contacts as City Boy. Giggling to herself.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Where are you going today?” Sehun asked her after breakfast the next day. He’d seen her going through her backpack through the crack in her door. Hadn’t heard about what her plans for today were. Having surprised her outside her door.

“I saw there was a park by the river,” Namjoo explained tucking her wallet into a tiny shoulder bag his mom had leant her.

“By yourself?” he asked.

She nodded. “Your mom drew me a map and told me what bus to take.” She sounded happy, excited. Pulling out a piece of paper to show him, “See?”

“You seem prepared,” he said.

Nodding energetically, she explained, “So, you don’t have to worry about me. Wasn’t your friend here yesterday? If you want to go do your own thing, I won’t stop you. If I get lost, I’ll call you.”

She used the piece of paper to tap his arm as she happily skipped by. Then he listened to the door close and retreated to his room. Bored. For a second thinking when he woke up that he could take her sightseeing around the city. Show her the big tourist attractions, the famous eateries, the cheapest snack places. But Namjoo seemed just fine on her own. No requirement for him to keep an eye on her.

Plopping down on his bed he stared up at the ceiling. His eyes subconsciously driving over the walls. To the side that separated their rooms. Then thinking, what the hell.

Impulsively getting up, he grabbed his set of keys and headed out. Jumping into his car and drove out of the garage. Down the street in search of the bus down the corner. Thinking Namjoo couldn’t have walked that far in this amount of time.

Just when he arrived, the bus was already leaving the curb. Cursing underneath his breath, he sped up to it. Glancing out the window to see if Namjoo was inside. He didn’t see her from the lane he was on. Perhaps she was sitting on the opposite side. Sighing, he sped past the yellow light. Racing to get to the park before she would.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Thanking the bus driver, Namjoo climbed off the bus. Widely smiling with wonder as she looked around at the open field. Of trees, of children, of families. Sitting on picnic blankets. Mothers pushing strollers. Joggers panting down the trails. Everyone up to something. Enjoying the brisk morning air.

To the far left the river glistened prettily, like silver glitter on water. Birds crowed. Dipping below for food. The open area was so huge Namjoo didn’t quite know what to do first. Crossing the cemented path away from the sprawling hills, Namjoo spotted a building with a rack of bikes.

A group of friends passed her right. Drifting by the parking lot where a dozen vehicles were parked for the hour. Namjoo paused when out of the corner of her eye she spotted someone. Instinctively turning, she searched through the throng of people. Cocking her head when a pair of women walked by, and seeing him leaning against his car.

Unfolding his crossed arms, Sehun crossed the lawn toward her. She blinked. Momentarily wondering if the haze of the heat was making her see things.

“I was bored.” He said. “A friend said she wanted to see the park, so I came.”

The corner of her lip turned up and she smiled. Shyly. More happily. Laughing as she looked away then back at him.