Déjà vu

Clash of Colors

ϞϞϞϞϞ

Two years breezed by. Nothing like the blink of an eye, but things had changed. The farm expanded. They got a pair of pigs, a couple that loved to roll around in the grass and laze under the beating sun. Sometimes looked like they were smiling mischievously. She and her father adopted a basset hound, Coco, who did not get along with Sambok. The two of them never in the sight of the other.

They had built a pen for the pigs that the ducks liked invading when not in use. A sheep joined them along with two more cows. That meant more effort was required to take care of them. More health checks from the vets. Need for medical supplies. And funding. Lots of funding.

Namjoo had started going to events to promote the farm. Handing out leaflets, explaining what their farm was about. Her father had recently gotten rights to expand the land on their farm, so that their animals would have more land to roam freely without trespassing on forbidden territories; the birds for example. Especially Coco who liked wandering off. She wouldn’t forgive herself if a hunter prowling the forest shot him.

While her father remained on the phone and dealt with paperwork she cared for the animals. The sanctuary was currently closed to visitors, because construction would soon proceed. They wouldn’t risk endangering any visitor or their animals during the process.

Namjoo had gotten up early that morning. Had her morning coffee and was now walking around with Sambok. An ordinary day for them. The sun was high. Each animal busy entertaining themselves.

Like she was.

“Bokbok,” Namjoo called out.

The rooster clucked, bobbing his head at her side.

“Bokbok,” she playfully called again grinning. Striding across the green field. Butterflies flittered past.

Sambok’s silky red-green-brown toned hair shone under the light. Clucking loudly.

“Bok…” Namjoo called. This time the bird dashed off urgently clucking. Running the fastest she’d ever seen since the cat chased him.

Her heart shot up . Fearing the worst, but he wasn’t running toward the woods. He was running straight for the front gates. Namjoo’s pace increased then decreased. Kicking up dirt noisily. Finishing her walk in one, two steps.

Staring beyond the thick tree where the green leaves were swaying in the wake of the wind. The light jingling in unheard decibels through the branches. An ordinary day with the sun shining high above her. Floating above her beloved farm, the animals she loved with her entire heart.

Confident she could not be hallucinating because it had been two years. The last moment when she had woken up in his arms. With her heart crying songs of sorrow when she pulled away, dressed, and left. Gathering her belongings from her mother’s and riding the train back to Gimje, where her home was.

Her father had welcomed her back with open arms, warm food waiting for her. Instead of gratefully eating his meal she cried with the first bite and didn’t finish the rest. Crying for two long days before telling her father about Hyejoo. Only to discover her mother had miraculously called for the first time in years to fill him in.

Did he know about Sehun? She didn’t ask. He didn’t say. Never even heard his name. She kept everything buried in her heart. Resumed her life. Naturally falling back into her routine and started breathing more happily. So, the years waned and the days became simple again.

Life was like that.

Namjoo watched him walk past the shade of the only tree in her yard. Carrying nothing but a suitcase. Wearing black pants and a blue dress shirt. The top two buttons left undone. Appearing fresh faced and handsome.

Sehun walked right up to her. Put his suitcase on the ground and straightened. “I’m from the animal conservationist team. I heard there’s construction needed to be done here.”

A tiny smile danced across her lips. Gladly. “I heard about you.”

“The team will arrive tomorrow with equipment, but I came ahead,” he explained. After a moment, he said, “It’s good to see you.”

“You, too.”

“How’ve you been?”

“Good.”

“Me, too.”

Sambok danced around his legs merrily. Pausing distracted when he discovered Sehun’s suitcase and started pecking at it.

“Are you married?” His eyes stayed right on hers.

“No.” She caught the hint of happiness glowing in his irises.

“Then,” he said, “do you want to have lunch with me?”

Daintily smiling, “It depends.”

“That’s a yes,” he confirmed.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“I was wondering why my dad emptied out the guest room so quick,” Namjoo said as they walked down the road toward town. He’d stashed his suitcase in the guest room after much difficulty with removing Sambok from it.

Tucking her hands at her back she walked alongside him. Not too close. Not too far.

“We talked over the phone several times,” Sehun told.

“I guess I can’t be surprised,” Namjoo commented. “He’s worked hard contacting the mayor, other town resources about the expansion.”

“Where is he?”

“At the town hall holding a conference with the mayor,” Namjoo explained.

“Did he tell you I was coming?” Sehun asked.

“No,” Namjoo said. She snuck a glimpse of him when he looked at the ground to hide that bit of his smile. Bringing the butterflies back to life inside her. “It suddenly feels like it hasn’t been that long.”

“I,” he said, “still have the note.” He looked at her, “I kept it well.”

Namjoo glanced at him. Her lips forming a firm smile when she looked away. “I’m glad. You look well, Sehun.”

“You, too.”

Turning to each other again they shared a smile.

Arriving in town she treated him to a bowl of cold noodles. Catching up over lunch. His dad had helped recommend him to the International Fund for Animal Welfare, where he interned for several months before getting hired into one of its charitable organizations. It had taken him a year and a half to get where he was today, but he was doing something, and he liked it. Sometimes he traveled out of the city to do research. There were opportunities to travel abroad he wanted to take someday.

“That sounds exciting,” Namjoo remarked. “Traveling, huh?”

“Yea,” he agreed. Poking at his noodles silently then looked across the small wooden table with a tiny crack in the center. “Want to go with me someday?”

Namjoo perked up. The offer touching her. “I’ll think about it.”

“That means yes?” His lips stretched up toward his ears.

“Perhaps.” Bashfully smiling she stared down into her bowl.

They walked back to her farm in complete silence. The peace twining its string around them. Admiring the scenery of tall, wild grass flanking them from either side. The trees gathering like friends sharing secrets. Only the two of them on this dirt lane. Like the entire world was theirs.

Walking not too closely. Not too far. As if teasing the moment. Testing each other’s endurance.

No matter how long the wait, Namjoo had known he would come when he was ready. When he had kissed her that last night, she had felt everything. His emotions. Things unsaid. The promise that after he became a better person, when he found his place, when he was confident, could do things for her, rely on himself, he would come.

And he was here.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“You arrived safely,” Namjoo’s father greeted him back on the farm. “Welcome back.”

Giving him a pat the old man smiled warmly. A dog raced up to him panting happily. Interrupting their moment. Jumping up against his legs and staring up at him with big innocent eyes.

“There’s a dog?” he asked surprised.

“Coco,” Namjoo’s father scolded. “Down.”

Prancing around his feet Coco followed them inside the house. “We adopted him recently, but he only fights with Sambok.”

“Sambok?” Sehun repeated then laughed amused. He could imagine Sambok glaring into the house jealous that Coco could enter and not he.

“Have you eaten?” Uncle Kim asked.

“Namjoo and I just had noodles.”

“You did? That’s good.” He commented. “Then I don’t have to prepare anything but dinner.” Asking Namjoo, “Why don’t you show him around the farm? We’ve gotten a few new additions.”

As the heat wore on, Namjoo toured him through the rest of the farm. Introducing to him the pigs. A couple that ignored Coco who tried chasing them through the field. Sharing with them their life changing stories, and explaining that the sanctuary was currently closed for construction.

Good, he thought, then he had time to do what he had partially come for.

After dinner he washed up. Changing into shorts and a tee. Laying in the guest room staring at the empty window sill. No potted plant this time. Back at home the flowers he had planted sprouted mid-summer after Namjoo left. Tiny things pushing up through the soil. Pretty things. He had taken pictures but could never send them.

The seedlings from Namjoo’s dead flower did not grow, which he tried not to feel too bad about. Some things needed to die in order for something else to blossom.

Sehun waited for the sky to fade to dark before leaving the room. Passing the stairs. Pausing momentarily to stare up. Wondering if Namjoo was sleeping. Entering the kitchen, he poured a glass of water. Drinking from it slowly. Peering around the space that hadn’t changed. A loaf of half-finished bread sat on the counter. Namjoo’s probably. A clump of her father’s mail sat at the end of the counter away from the sink.

Sehun washed his glass and set it upside down in the dishrack. Intending to return to his room, but stopped when he spotted Namjoo sitting at the bottom of the stairs. Wearing a large shirt. Shorts. Elbow propped onto her knee. Face cupped in her hand. Her gaze was coy. Mischievous.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Nothing.” His eyes slid to the side, as if caught in the act.

“You’re not sleeping?”

“Not yet.” Looking at her. “You aren’t.”

“Do you want to come up?”

He blinked. Sinking in the invitation. Half nodding. Shamelessly, because he had thought about it. His stomach twisted anxiously.

“I don’t want to wake my father up, so lets be quiet.” Namjoo stood. Brushing his fingers just the slightest. Spreading an unhealthy sizzle up his body. “Or find me on top of you.”

Sehun breathed a laugh. “You got cheeky,” he commented. Entwining his fingers through hers he skipped three steps, pulling her up, “Who says you’ll be on top?”

The moment they reached her room he pushed her against the door. Clicking the lock in place. Kissing her hungrily. Kind of , kind of whispering, “I missed you. I missed you.”

He had dreamt of her. He had thought of her. Of the last night when they’d made love. Knowing he had put his heart into the palm of her hands. Living on memories as he worked hard to become someone worthy. Exhausting himself at the end of the day so that he didn’t have the energy to miss her.

Namjoo clung onto him. Breathing hard into his mouth. Struggling to meet his urgent kisses. Running her hands through his hair. Touching his face, his nape. Letting his hands into her shirt. Urgently slide up to and feel. Crying and whimpering. Gratified from his wet mouth, his touches. After a long wait, finally fulfilling the drought they’d endured.

“Me, too,” Namjoo brushed her lips across his. Holding onto him, “I missed you.”

Their heated kisses turned lustful. Touching, pressing into each other. want. Thirsting for more than their mouths could feed. Needing her skin rubbing his. The desire blowing up between them.

Namjoo moaned. his shirt as he on her pulse. Pulling the material halfway up his back. Roaming the buildup of his muscles. Her hot breath beat his ear, tempting the worst in him. He groaned and blindly patted around for the hem of her shorts. Tracing his hand down the length of her silky thigh. Skidding his fingers up into her shorts just to feel what she wore underneath.

Hugging his leg between her thighs when his mouth settled on her shoulder. Sweating and panting hotly when she buried her face into his cheek. Pausing to glorify the moment. Peek into each other’s eyes. Laughing a little. Overjoyed their connection hadn’t changed.

Some things could still remain unsaid, but the racing of her heart was a sign she was still his. It was all he cared for.

These years she had yearned for him the same. Patiently outwaiting the days. Sharing the same memories. Of happy times. And sad times. Memories full of him. Memories full of her.

Wiggling out of her shorts she traced her hand down his belly. His breath trembled. She fumbled with his shorts, touched his shoulders, and hoisted herself up. Locking her legs around him. He gulped. Crushed her harder against the door, holding her steady.

And he had dreamt of this. Of when things would be ok. Between them the pain wouldn’t hurt so much anymore. The bond they had developed, the unwinding emotions that came in tow would always outweigh their struggles.

Their eyes caressed each other like hands touching on a warm summer night. Keeping the reflection of him in her eyes, he closed them and kissed her. Taking her then and there. Rocking into each other with urgency and when they finished, they crept into her bed. Out of breath. Relieved.

“In a bit, I’ll go slower,” he said. Receiving a low rumble of laughter from her as she scooted closer.

He did. A majority of the night they lay in each other’s company. Finally tiring in the wee hour of the night.

At the first light he woke up when Sambok started crowing, which transitioned into a mixed chorus of howling. Two animals competing with each other to see who was loudest.

Removing his arm from Namjoo he rolled onto his back. Stretching. “How do you get any sleep around here?”

She chuckled into her pillow. Her voice muffled by it, “You get used to it.”

“I should go before your dad wakes up.” Getting up he dressed. “Meet me at the barn later?” Namjoo didn’t reply. Leaning over he kissed her hair, “Sleep more.”

ϞϞϞϞϞ

At the breakfast table he snuck secret glances with Namjoo. Her father unaware that he hadn’t slept in the guest room. Surprisingly, he only felt a little guilty for it.

The crew arrived for work with their big machines after breakfast. Driving across the yard with a rumbling menace an hour after Namjoo’s father helped clear the path. Locking the animals in their pens. In the course of animals that did not need one he gathered them into one area to make sure they did not prowl too closely to the work.

Everyone sweated underneath the hot sun. Constantly wiping sweat with their forearms. Namjoo brought out a tray of cool water for them, sharing a grin with him. While Namjoo’s father started a hot debate with the workers about how to remove the gates he caught Sambok pecking at Coco’s tail as he slept. Waking the dog with a fright. That was how the long 10-minute chase between dog and bird began.

At first, he thought Namjoo’s father was joking about Sambok and Coco being archenemies. Turned out he wasn’t lying.

Namjoo’s father had to pull away from the crew to split the two animals up. Doing this by chasing Coco into the house and slamming the door shut. Sambok paced a circle bobbing his head until Namjoo’s father disappeared. That was when round two began.

Jumping onto a branch outside the front window he clucked against the window. Tapping his beak against the glass. Sehun always knew Sambok had a wicked side to him ever since the bird started crowing outside his window intentionally.

That was when the mad barking started. Irritated Coco had jumped onto the couch. Attacking the window. Pounding his front paws against it. Gnawing at the surface with his teeth.

“Get rid of him!” Namjoo’s annoyed father yelled. “We’re working here!”

Sighing, Namjoo left the field and stomped over screaming at Sambok. Sehun laughed entertained.

Someday…someday soon he would also be a part of this.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

It was late evening when the crew finally departed for the hotel they were staying at. He waited till after dinner to head out into the barn. Namjoo arrived a few minutes after him.

“I think your bird is evil,” he started staring into the distance.

She frowned at him. “He isn’t.”

“Well, your dog certainly isn’t.” She slapped his chest with the back of her hand. He whined, “That hurts.”

Scoffing, Namjoo never minded him. Leaning against the tower of hay she stared out at the setting sun. An orange orb now. Melting into the pinkish skyline. Sehun admired the view with her.

“You probably won’t be staying very long,” Namjoo said staring straight ahead.

“Well,” he drawled, “we’ll see.”

“What will you do when you leave?” she asked. “Go back to the city?”

Taking a step forward he stretched his arm back for her. “Take a walk with me.”

Observing his hand for a second, she accepted. Letting him lead her out. Strolling with him toward the field’s end. Quiet now. A soft draft whistled past. In its midst tiny white fluffs from cotton flowers drifted. With it, the glow of the sun coming from their left. The farther they went the more abundant the fluffs were this evening.

Pretty like snow in summer.

Holding her palm out a fluff landed in her hand only to be whisked away by the wind.

“I work to promote animal welfare,” Sehun started. Her eyes landed on him. “There’s a base in Ulsan, but I don’t have to go there. I get my assignments through the city hall or other organized centers from time to time. I don’t always have to report home, too. My parents work for the nation. They travel constantly.”

He stared past the crushed grass, the pile of dirt from where they’d pulled out the gate leaving the big machine in place.

“I was just growing up when I met you,” Sehun said. “I didn’t have the heart to stride toward my goals when you were in my sight, but I’m more capable now. I have something on my hands to do. I can provide for you without asking for anything in return. You can still do what you want and I won’t need to ask you to give what you love up for me. You can live here comfortably. With your father. Sambok. Coco. The rest of the animals. And I want to stay with you.”

Namjoo's expression softened. Jilted by an unexpected confession.

“Travel with me from time to time. See the world with me. It’s always a better experience with two. Teach me what I still don’t know and don’t give up on me. Where your home is, is also mine. I can stay here with you. I’ll wake up every morning to Sambok and Coco. I’m,” he said, “going to ask your father for your hand.”

A disbelieving laugh burst from Namjoo’s mouth. Shocked, touched. Biting down on her teeth with a crooked a smile she struggled not to ugly cry.

Sehun put his hands around her head. Gave her a quick peck on her forehead. “I love you.”

“Me, too. I love you, too.” Wrapping his arms around her waist he lifted her up into the air. Listening to her shriek in joy. Holding onto him. Laughing with tears in her eyes.

The world that was always so pretty, filled with hope glowed above them.

Their universe, always.


***As I earlier stated, sometimes it's not about exes or 3rd parties that make things difficult. Life brings its issues and it planted obstacles for them. (Ofc it doesn't seem realistic, this story is just drama). This story was more about Sehun's development. Hence, the story started with him then trailed off more to Namjoo in the city but still focused on him. He has always noted that Namjoo has it all. The two of them are complete opposites, but her resoluteness draws him in. Note his father always talks to him about his future, but he never takes any action because he's constantly focused on being with Namjoo; trying to save her, trying to make her happy. Namjoo's mother talks truth to him. That he has nothing. He can't just want to be with her because he likes her, his feelings won't feed her so he had to make the decision to break up with her. He wasn't letting her go home, he was just keeping her there with him in the city, and Namjoo wouldn't leave because of him. Remember her mother mentioned sacrifice for the better? So their relationship wasn't falling out of love in order to fall back in love kind of trope. Sehun needed to grow up and he needed to do it with his own determination because Namjoo was his distraction. What hurt for them was that he needed the time to mature, and he does this by getting a job, deciding he will stay with her on the farm instead of making her live in the city (e.g. the sacrifice her mom mentioned). Namjoo's smart. She understood him. She waited. And that's what the story is about.

***Anyway, I think the things Namjoo's mother and Sehun's dad said are the kinds of things anyone's parents would tell their children. It's pretty much what my parents would say to me: who are his parents, how is his family, does he have a job, what school did he graduate from etc? They were advising him for the best. She was nastier bc ofc she's Namjoo's mother, and I didn't add her in the last part bc all he really needed was her father's approval - he raised her and she lives with him. 

***if you missed it, Namjoo's mother deleted the text Sehun sent so she said sorry for it the following morning and for what she was going to do. It's up to you how you interpret her actions.

***Deja vu because Namjoo's happiest moments were in that field with him, it's what she kept dreaming of, and it's where he proposes to her <3

***I did what I could to make the story good. If I missed anything, it's a mistake a writer like me makes from time to time. If there are imperfections, forgive me. Thank you for reading. I really do hope you enjoyed it!