Bitter & Sweet

Clash of Colors

“How’d you get here?” Sehun questioned as they trekked down the road. The sky had fallen. The dark blue misting into a black curtain. Only the two of them on the road. A mysterious darkness soared overhead teasingly. Namjoo subconsciously d for the tiny space between them. Taking comfort in the fact that he wasn’t too far away.

“You didn’t walk?”

“Maybe I did.”

He peered at her through the corner of his eye.

“No, I didn’t,” she told. “I rode a cab.”

“They cheat you,” Sehun told. “You should be careful about which one you’re riding.”

“How am I supposed to know?”

“Don’t come here by yourself next time.” He chided.

“So I should walk?” she asked.

“No,” he said. “Call me. I’ll come to you.”

For a split second her heart literally stopped. She stared up at him but he didn’t look at her, and she wondered if he was just saying it for her own safety.

“What’d you do today?” he asked.

“I watched a series with your aunt,” Namjoo told. “We also baked some cookies.”

“I’ve never seen you cook.” He remarked.

“I do!” she stated. “You would be surprised at how good I am!”

“You’re probably just talking big.”

“I am!” she reiterated. Muttering under her breath, “As if you’re good at anything.”

He nudged her with his elbow. She nudged him back poking him in the ribs. He winced and playfully shoved her. Namjoo rammed into him laughing.

“By the way, you’re not going to eat that?” Namjoo asked when she heard the plastic covering the lollipop rustling.

“It’s mine. Don’t worry about it.”

“Did you eat the other one?” Namjoo wondered.

“You don’t need to know.”

“You ate it, that’s why you wanted another one.” She scoffed at him. “You’re so cheap.”

“After I finish this one, will you buy me another one?”

“No.” she spat. “You have your own money.”

He scowled at her. Reaching the end of the road they turned to head back. Under each eerie glow of the street lamps Namjoo took a glimpse of him. Energized and refreshed now that she had seen him.

“I’ll drive you back,” Sehun offered when they neared his house.

He rolled the top of his car down, so they could enjoy the cool evening breeze when they sped down the road. Cruising over the bridge above the glistening waters. Into the rest of civilization. Driving up to his aunt Youngja’s house.

Unbuckling her seatbelt, Namjoo pushed the door open. “Thanks, Sehun.”

“You’re welcome. Good night, Namjoo.”

Burning with joy she smiled and hurried inside bouncing with happiness. To the loud wailing of a woman when she walked through the door.

“Chunhei!” Youngja staggered toward her, a sobbing mess. Her eager hands cupping her face. Pulling her into her arms, desperately crying into her hair. Over her shoulder Hyunjae tossed his head back, jacket draped over his arm, keys in hand. Across from him his father rubbed his face.

Namjoo helped the uncle settle his wife into bed all the while clinging onto her hand with an iron grip. Promising several times that she wasn’t leaving. Calming down at last Namjoo walked toward the door with the uncle. Apologizing, “I’m sorry, I didn’t think I would be gone very long.”

“It’s fine,” he gave her arm a pat. “Don’t worry about it and go rest.”

Turning away Namjoo headed up the stairs, where Hyunjae was lingering in the hallway. Jacket still draped over his arm, keys in his hand. “Where did you go?”

“I just…” Namjoo hesitated. Figuring it best not to talk about Sehun, she lied, “I went for some air.”

He looked at her, as if he didn’t believe her. “All right. Next time if you want to go out, do it during the day. It’s dark out, it’s not safe outside. You should know that.”

“Sorry,” Namjoo murmured.

“Go to sleep,” he gestured toward her room before walking away.

Firmly pressing her lips together, Namjoo closed the door to her room. Confused why she had to feel so sullen around them. Shaking it off she hopped over to the bed. Giggling to herself. Elated because even if it was for several minutes, she had seen the one person who didn’t question her.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“A what?!” he spat the next morning over breakfast.

“Your aunt wants to celebrate for Chunhei – er…Namjoo,” his father grimaced at his mistake.

“Why?” he asked. Staring at his mother for further explanation, “That’s going too far!”

She sighed. “She sees it as a reunion with her daughter. No one can stop her at this point. Lets just go along with it. Ok?”

“Namjoo isn’t even their daughter,” he retorted.

His mother sighed again. Troubled. “There’s really nothing I can say to change her mind. She’s so absorbed in her own world no one can get through to her.”

“She shouldn’t have come back if her psych was still in shreds. They should sue the psychiatric facility that performed her treatment.”

“That’s enough,” his father scolded.

“I’m not wrong,” Sehun contorted. “Namjoo isn’t their daughter. Forcing her to play along with this ridiculous charade is abuse. I can’t believe you’re not doing anything!”

Sliding his chair back he returned to his room to grab his keys.

A freaking party.

He couldn’t believe it. For whom were they throwing it? Everyone knew that Chunhei was dead. It was absurd that all the adults were just going to give it a pass without saying anything. If Namjoo’s dad knew, what would he think?!

Starting his car, he drove down the road. The only thoughts in his head was that he wanted her out of that house. Parking outside the home he rang the bell. Punching it repeatedly until the iron door opened and his uncle stared at him.

“You…” his eyes traced his figure. Recognizing him a second too late, “Ah…Sehun! What brings you here?”

“Is Namjoo in?”

“Namjoo? Yes, she’s home.”

“Can I see her?”

The elder man’s eyes darted toward the side. When Sehun didn’t take that as a no the elder man had no choice but to hold the door open.

“How is your mother?” The small talk started.

“She’s fine.”

“They haven’t been too busy I hope?”

“No.” Sehun crossed the empty yard with him. His mother would shake her head. Dig out her gardening gloves and hoe and start planting wild flowers, like Namjoo would busily start going through the fields checking on her precious animals. What her father was probably doing right now with Sambok.

“Namjoo is probably upstairs,” his uncle turned to him when they stepped inside. “They’ve been going through her closet dressing up. All that mother, daughter stuff.”

He struggled not to roll his eyes. “Sure.”

“I’ll go get her.”

His uncle disappeared up the stairs leaving him to look around the modest home. Spacious. Big. Peacefully quiet. A common city home in the suburbs. Attention zipping back to the stairs in front of him. A pair of legs. Then the actual person. In a trendy knee length skirt and a pretty white blouse with beads along the sleeves.

“What are you doing here?” Namjoo wondered, surprised.

Since she had arrived in the city, Namjoo had been plainly dressed in her jeans, her t-shirts, and her sneakers. Only dressing up once. Today she was wearing makeup. Had her hair pinned back. She was even wearing lipstick.

“Oh…uh…” his mind blanked. Unable to recall why he had come.

The way her eyes settled on his face flustered him.

“Chunhei!” his aunt called down for her.

She turned around to look up then back to him. “There’s a convenience store down the road. Do you want to get some ice cream in a bit?”

His eyes widened slightly. She was asking him out for ice cream?

“I’ll see you in a bit.” Spinning around she dashed up the stairs. He felt momentarily dizzy.

 ϞϞϞϞϞ

“Who was that?” Youngja’s childish gaze landed on her when she returned to the bedroom.

“A friend,” Namjoo ambiguously replied. Her husband shot her a glance.

“Of course,” Youngja, unaware, happily smiled. “Our Chunhei is always so friendly. That’s why she’s so popular, right honey?”

“Yes, you’re right.”

“I’m going to go out for a few minutes,” Namjoo told. “I’ll be back, don’t worry.”

“Of course, go ahead. Your friends probably miss you. Don’t worry about here.” The makeup she had been fooling around with lay scattered atop the vanity. The doors to the walk-in closet split wide open.

After breakfast that morning Youngja had come up declaring they go through her wardrobe. Try on some makeup for the party she wanted to give her. All of it planned without a regard to what she thought. Just go along with it her husband had quietly ushered. Don’t upset her.

Grabbing her bag, Namjoo turned to leave. She needed some air, out of this home away from all this. She was starting to get uncomfortable with this mask she had put on. The woman wouldn’t leave her alone since she returned late that night. Preening her every second of the day.

“Namjoo,” Uncle Jaejin followed her down. “Before you go, lets have a talk.”

Pausing midway down the hall she walked into the kitchen with him, where they could talk out of earshot. Inviting her to sit down with him at the table.

“I understand you and Sehun are friends,” he started. “I want you to keep your distance from him.” Aware he was crossing the line, he explained, “Not that I should have a say about anything you do, but here you’re my daughter and you two are practically cousins. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“No.” Because it didn’t make sense.

“Look, people outside will see you two as relatives now that my wife has taken you in. Sehun’s mother is my wife’s younger sister,” he told. “And also, I don’t like him.”

Weirdly taken aback, Namjoo looked at him hurt.

He sighed, “He’s not…a good man. All he does is go out to the clubs to drink, do drugs, and smoke. He’s irresponsible and still lives off his parents. I’m advising you as a father would his daughter, and I believe your father would do the same. Don’t get too close to him.”

She didn’t know what to say or how to react. Digging her nails into the leather purse. Lost.

“Go on. Don’t stay out too long.”

Sliding off the chair Namjoo slipped into the low pumps and walked out. Dazed. Suddenly, everyone was telling her things about Sehun she didn’t think made sense. None of it sounded like the person she knew.

The honking of a horn made her look up across the street. Searching right and left to see she had reached the corner. The convenience store was on her left. She was at the corner of the block where the street light was. Looking ahead when she heard Sehun calling out for her on the other side. Without thinking she stepped off the curb into oncoming traffic. Hurling backward when a car honked.

Her pulse raced. The light turned green. Once again, she stepped into the street in another attempt to go to him. Jumping back when a car turned around the corner impatiently, the driver shouting obscenity at her. Sehun started shouting over the noise of traffic, but she couldn’t hear him. Not with her hart pumping so fast. The congested thoughts bombarding her.

The lights flickered to yellow. Namjoo looked right and left to see the onslaught of cars. Racing down the lanes never minding her. Sehun waved his arms for her to get back. Glancing both directions to assure the road was clear. Making a dash across the road to reach her.

“That was dangerous!” he said. “Didn’t you hear me telling you to wait?”

“No.” She pouted and stumbled to the side. Staring down at the low pumps she couldn’t manage to balance in. Taking her arm, he led her to a nearby bench.

“Stay here,” he said. As he vanished into the store she sighed. Staring down at the pretty tan pumps. Wondering why she was trying so hard.

Growing irritated with the way things were. This Chunhei spectacle. Hyejoo. Being stuck in the city. And now she was being told not to be friends with the only person she knew.

Upon the rustle of a bag she glanced up to see Sehun walking over. Instead of sitting with her he crouched down on a knee in front of her. Shocked, she grew embarrassed. Peering around them to see passersby curiously staring. Sehun seemed unbothered. Lifting her feet up and pulling her pumps off.

Tugging her feet back, she asked, “What are you doing?”

“I got you new shoes cause you can’t walk.” Wrapping his hands around her ankle he attempted to slip on a cheap pair of tennis shoes.

Touching his shoulder to stop him, she couldn’t meet his eyes. Bashful. “I can do it myself.”

Ignoring her he slipped the shoe on her foot. Gulping quietly, Namjoo stared down at him. Listening to the thud of her heart growing louder inside her ears. Sensible to the warm hand around her ankle. Taking her other pair of pumps off. Blushing when he looked up at her.

The rest of the world faded away. The noise of traffic. The onlookers. The store lighting up behind him. Only the open sky floated above them. Daylight so bright and blinding.

For a while, the bubble she was living in was securely perfect. Heart rendering.

Slipping on the other shoe he rose up to sit beside her. Putting her shoes in the bag for her. Setting it aside.

Every emotion slowly whirled back to calm.

Believing that Hyunjae and Uncle Jaejin had to be wrong about Sehun. Yet also thinking he had been sent to Gimje to farm with her for 3 months. But then…he had gone back to the farm to look for her, hadn’t he?

Namjoo glanced at him. Then away when she remembered the lipstick stains on his face. Experiencing a tiny pang. She was just a country person, what would she know about his way of life?  

“Your aunt wants to throw a party for me.” Namjoo said.

“I heard.”

“Are you coming?”

“I’ll come.” When she said nothing he asked, “How long will you be staying there?”

“I don’t know.” Namjoo picked at her dress.

“You shouldn’t stay there too long,” Sehun told. “You’re not their daughter.”

“I know,” she said.

Forgetting about the ice cream they crossed the street to his car. Sehun slowly circled back to the house. Clearly not her home. Clearly not a place where she felt at home. Burdened by the façade of her sister whose life she still had no clue about. Still not sure how she could heal a broken mother’s heart.

At the same time, somehow it felt like both her worlds were clashing. The new city life. The original country life that made her who she was today. That Kim Namjoo, selfless, bubbly, carefree. And the new person slowly growing dark.

Namjoo stared up at the home above the steep staircase. Behind the iron door. A place where she would have to pretend to be someone else and listen to the things these people told her. For as long as the lie lasted, she was their person.

“Thanks, Sehun,” she turned to him, “for being the only person I can be comfortable with.”


***Sometimes, it's not third parties that keep people apart, it's family