Not in Vain

Clash of Colors

Those lips trembled. Stumbling forward onto collapsing knees Aunt Youngja clung onto her arms like a wailing baby asking to be carried. Howling, “No! No! Chunhei! Chunhei!”

Of course, Namjoo was not so heartless. At the same time, she didn’t want to be plastered with a name that was not hers. She felt for this woman, grieving over her best friend, her daughter.

“That’s not me,” Namjoo said.

“My daughter, my daughter…” her voice kept overriding hers.

Namjoo was frustrated. Namjoo was conflicted. Namjoo was sad for her. But, “I’m not Chunhei. I’m not your daughter.”

Unable to hear her the woman continued weeping until her voice croaked.

The sound of her crying was soul crushing. Yet so unnerving. Everything pressing in on her from all sides. Hyejoo. An angry father who would not help his wife move on. An ignorant son. Sehun who was angry at her. She missed her father. The city driving her to an edge she had never experienced before in her life. All because she had opted into coming here.

The problem wasn’t that serious and it was serious. This had nothing to do with her but it had everything to do with her.

It was driving her nuts!

“Stop it! Stop it!” Namjoo burst, shrieking. “I said I’m not Chunhei!”

A moment’s silence deafened the home. Destroying the hysterical situation. Then the woman’s eyes rolled back and she landed on the linoleum floor with a thud.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

He was bored. Haven’t gone out at all. Stuck home the past few days trying to look up jobs rebounding between the television, going outside to stare at the tree, then to his room again. Staring at his phone on and off. Looking at his messages then tossing the mobile device to the side.

Now he was wondering if he really should go see Namjoo. Maybe tomorrow. Just out of curiosity.

Upset with her for saying those things about him. He had come home that night. Slammed the door to his room and tossed the lollipop onto his bed out of anger. Not the new one. Though he had hesitated to do so, he had grabbed the already destroyed one. Thrown it down and paced his room in a fit. Hurt by her.

Since most of the anger had wilted away, he missed her. Just listening to her rant about how each day seemed hopeful. Joking with him. The things she could do that brought a smile to his face. Even the sky seemed so dull these days.

Sehun threw down the phone when he heard someone bounding up the stairs urgently. A knock on his door then it opened. It was his mother. Out of breath, panicked. Catching him off guard.

“Do you want to come to the hospital with me?”

Grabbing his attention, he asked, “Is it dad?”

“No.” she said. “It’s your aunt.”

Several minutes later he was racing with her down the hospital hallway. To the quiet VIP rooms where a doctor was administering a diagnosis on his aunt, who had collapsed in her home. Feeling his heart drop when he saw Namjoo sitting outside with her head hanging low. Looking so miserable like a child who was lost.

Hearing their footsteps, she turned. Immediately rising to her feet. She looked tired and very apologetic.

Greeting his mother first, explaining, “He’s talking to the doctor right now.”

His mother touched her shoulder comfortingly then turned to open the door. Hushed voices flowed out. When she turned to see if he was coming, he said, “Go ahead.”

Once the door closed total silence engulfed the atmosphere. Namjoo’s eyes hovered over the tiled floor. Never landing on his face. Not even once. He couldn’t ask if she was ok. Seemed kind of dumb because she hadn’t smiled once. Shown him that his presence relieved her.

Touching her wrist, he said, “Come on.”

The fresh night air welcomed him back outside. The rush of traffic was music to the evening. Unlike the cool air bringing the warm day to a standstill chill in the countryside. Where cicadas sung a chorus throughout the night. Wind rattled the trees a distance away and owls hooted as they swept through the air. Nature sounds that existed away from the city.

Namjoo looked at him when he opened the door for her. “Get in.” he urged. Closing the door after her and slid into the driver’s seat, driving off.

Lights splashed past outside. In yellows, gold, blues, reds, pinks. Sehun didn’t roll down the top of his car. Keeping them in the solace of a space shared by just the two of them. Allowing the secure silence to build up. With words neither spoke. As emotions leaked from the heart so that the body could feel lighter. Hoping that even for a few minutes Namjoo could sink into the comfort of his presence. He, the person who made her most comfortable.

At nighttime even tired citizens ventured out. In search of street food. To blow off stress from a long day. Meet up with friends after work. Enjoy a walk alone. Sehun pulled up downtown nearby an alley popular for street food. A night market targeted toward the hot-blooded youth of the city and tourists passing through.

Fresh food steamed into the air. Twenty dollars cheaper than a restaurant menu. He couldn’t take her out to eat at this time of night, but here could make up for that. Crushed with her in the thick crowd. Sticking close so they wouldn’t lose each other. Sehun pulled her over to a vendor. Watching as the owner cooked. Feeling sweat drool from his mouth. He paid and they walked off sharing a paper bowl of food. Wandering down the street. Chowing down to the last crumb in the bowl. In due time, Namjoo’s face started lighting up with wonder and she started pulling him along.

They peeked at exotic burgers. Local foods. Asking him to buy more for her. They shared a cup with two straws and detoured to the street that sold crafts and accessories. Curiously strolling past until the wind grew sharper and the time later.

When they walked back to the car Namjoo said, “I don’t want to go back yet. Can we go somewhere else?”

“Yea.”

The river was a good 10-minute drive away. Sehun headed there. Driving up to an empty location they stepped out. The calm water gently flowed past moving quietly in one direction. At their feet the grass swayed in the wind. Brisk now. Having becoming a tad chilly.

“Here.” He reached into the back to hand her a sweater he had tossed aside a few days ago when he had gone for a drive around the city.

Accepting it without argument she slipped it on. Leaning against the car with him. Soaking in the silence. Watching the lights flicker on the other side of the river looking like an island away. An ethereal sight, breathtaking. Coming alive only when the sky was at its darkest.

“I said I was going home,” Namjoo started. “I didn’t know saying that could upset someone.”

“You’re going?” he asked. Alarmed. More than he should be.

He didn’t want her to leave. Not yet.

“I realized, your aunt is battling her sadness alone,” Namjoo told. “It’s a long way’s fight when you do it by yourself, so I pity her. How tired your uncle must be from being the only person whose always stood by her side.” Her hair blew past her face, hiding the sparkle in her eyes when she looked at him. “I’m not going yet.”

He turned away, relieved. Kind of cursing himself for feeling like this when he knew she would be much happier at home. With her father and Sambok in Gimje.

“I’m sorry I said those things about you,” Namjoo apologized. “I have no excuse to make.”

It was a petty thing but also the truth. Compared to hearing she could have left with his feelings unresolved; he could let it go.

“Don’t worry about it,” he assured.

Smiling a little she lowered her gaze to the cracked ground. Unmoving as if she had become a sculpture. Sehun took in the image of her tiny form. Her bubbly shape becoming foam. He imagined wrapping his arms around her. Saying cheesy things like it would be ok, tomorrow would be a better day.

A minute shuffled by with the wind growing stronger. Picking up the waves and they started splashing against the shoreline. Causing her hair to start flying wildly.  

Raising her head out of the blue, she said, “We should go.”

He resumed driving. Soaking back into the quiet sanctuary of his car. Stealing a glimpse of her staring out the window without a word. Curious if someone had upset her earlier. If she was taking his aunt’s collapse to heart, blaming herself. He wanted to say it wasn’t her fault, but he truly didn’t know what had happened. Speaking now would just make him sound stupid.

Sehun pulled up to the house. Releasing his seatbelt and stepping out with her. Namjoo slipped out of his sweater and handed it to him. “Thanks.”

“You can have it.” he said.

Wonder sparked her eyes. The wind galloped down the road, returning as a soft force. Whispering as it passed. A silver star appeared out of nowhere and started winking above them.

Namjoo dug her fingers into the soft of his sweater. He stared at her. The space between them. Then his heart kicked.

Three days gone by that he hadn’t heard from her. Three days he had spent intentionally walking past the room she had once slept in. Trying not to succumb to his urge to open the door and look inside. Aware she was no longer in his home as his special guest. Struggling to bury the urge to pick up the phone and give her a call. Type in some sort of message wondering how her day had gone, and if she was curious about him, too.

Three days.

Three hard days.

And now she was finally in front of him.

Who knows what tomorrow might bring? If he might hear from her or not. It was always regretful that she had left his home to come stay all the way across town.

He wouldn’t let tonight end in vain.

“Don’t move, ok?” he said. Closing his eyes halfway he leaned down. Peering into her eyes for a split second then shutting them as he locked lips with her.

His pulse skyrocketed. His entire body tingled with menace. Withdrawing to see her round eyes staring up at him. Robotically turning she opened the door scrambling inside. Sehun stayed to listen to her urgent footsteps run up the concrete staircase. Imagine her racing across the lawn into the house. Joyfully laughing under his breath. Struggling not to fist pump before getting back into the car.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

His mother coyly stared at him on his way in. Calling out, “Stop.” He stopped. Walking out from the kitchen she asked, “Where did you go? You left me behind at the hospital.”

His eyes guiltily darted off to the side, away from her. “Nowhere.”

“You think I believe you?” she smacked his arm with the wooden cooking spoon she was holding. “You disappeared with Namjoo. Did you take her on a date?”

“No.”

“You think I’ll believe you after you’ve been strangely home the past few days?” she frowned at him. Crossing her arms, “You’ve been acting out of the norm lately. Is it puberty?”

“Mom!”

She laughed. “I’m just teasing you.” Giving him an eye as she turned to head into the kitchen, “I know you went on a date. Now will you come help me?”

An eyebrow dipped down his eye as he entered the kitchen. “What?”

Returning to the stove to stir a boiling pot, she asked, “Where did you two go?”

“Downtown.”

“To the night market?” she wondered. “That’s sweet, but you can be more romantic than that.”

He flatly stared at her. “Why are you judging me?”

“Oh, so it was a date?” her eyes widened excited.

“No!”

Smugly grinning anyway, “Grab me a spoon and taste this.”

“Why are you cooking at this time of night?”

“It’s for your aunt,” she explained. “You should lend a helping hand if you want to go with me tomorrow morning. You know,” she teased, “if you want to see Namjoo.”

His lip almost shot up from remembering the kiss. Immediately stopping himself he muttered, “No one asked.”

“Well,” she coolly said, “I’m just letting you know, in case.”

That next morning, he woke up bright and early.

ϞϞϞϞϞ

“You’re back?” Hyunjae was in the kitchen drinking a cup of warm tea.

“Oh…yea…” Namjoo quietly muttered clutching Sehun’s sweater closely. Afraid if he saw it he would take it.

“Where were you? Mom and dad returned earlier,” he wondered.

“I just went for some air.”

He studied her. “I heard what happened.”

Namjoo’s eyes skittered away. Was he going to scold her like his dad?

“Next time, you should talk to me first,” he said. “If it comes to anything about my mother, he can react really fast without thinking first. He’s really protective of her.”

“Oh…”

“Go up. You must be tired,” Hyunjae said.

Hugging Sehun’s sweater she scurried up the stairs to her bedroom. Allowing her heart to finally race when she shut the door. Planting her back against it. Smiling because…because. Namjoo chewed her thumbnail. Anxious. Blissful.

The smile cooled wondering if Sehun had done it in a friendly way. Whatever that meant. Bothered, recalling Uncle Jaejin’s words about Sehun. That rosy dress lady saying Sehun was a player, a bad boy.

She looked down at the sweatshirt in her arms. Probably having given it to her because tonight had indeed been chilly, and he had been worried like any normal person would.

That was it. Most likely. After all, they were just friends. Smiling again at his good intentions she grabbed her pajamas and went to take a shower. Returning to see the sweater laying on her bed. Turning the lights off she crawled under the blanket, hugging it against her s. Comforted by the singular thought that Sehun was still looking after her kindly.

When she woke up the next morning she actually headed downstairs with a nervous heart. Unsure how Uncle Jaejin would look at her, treat her when he saw her. If Aunt Youngja would forgive her for screaming at her. Thinking now she had been too impatient. She should’ve held out if she decided to come and find out about Hyejoo. She had acted immature.

The family of three was gathered in the kitchen. Drinking from their mugs when she showed up at the doorway.

“You’re awake?” Aunt Youngja’s face glowed with a smile. Patting the seat next to her, “Come sit.”

“Let me know if you want extra sugar,” Hyunjae set down a steaming cup of coffee down in front of her.

Uncle Jaejin was the only one to look at her warily. Aunt Youngja touched her arm, “Your cousin will be coming over today. Now you won’t be so bored when your brother goes to work.”

“What?” Namjoo asked and turned when the doorbell rang.

“Why don’t you go get the door?” Aunt Youngja suggested. “And greet your aunt and cousin.”

Wondering if she was indirectly being punished, Namjoo glanced at the other two males. They looked back at her just as silently. Left with no choice she slid off her chair and walked toward the door. She had no idea they were expecting guests today.

Grabbing the doorknob, she pulled open the door. Sehun’s mother beamed with a wide smile. “Namjoo!”

She blanked. Eyes zipping to Sehun behind her. Feeling her face grow hot unexpectedly. Returning to earth when his mother poked her shoulder. Asking, “Can we come in?”

“Uh…o…oh…” tripping backwards over her own feet she collided into the door. Laughing uneasily. Skipping out of the way to let them in. Doing her best to avoid his eyes. Hurriedly spinning around to push the door close. Her entire body quaked. One wrong move and her limbs might fall apart was what it felt like.

Planning to hurry and run back into the kitchen. Sit quietly with Aunt Youngja. Drink her coffee while the others talked. She would look so occupied he couldn’t talk to her.

Skidding to a halt when she whirled around and found Sehun standing in the middle of the hall. An exaggerated laugh bounced out of . Poking her fingers together she started walking past. One step. Another step. So much closer to the kitchen. Now she was starting to pass him.

And then…he grabbed her arm, gently pushing her back. “Where are you going?”

Pointing her fingers toward kitchen she said the obvious, “The kitchen.”

“Lets chat.”

“Why?” she asked unable to meet his eyes. God, why was she so embarrassed?

“I said lets talk first.”

Unable to restrain her jumpy emotions, she blurted, “Do you like me?”


***and he's the first to come to terms with his feelings! :D