CHAPTER 16: PETRICHOR

To Protect My Everything
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Petrichor (n.)   - a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

(SEHUN)

I found myself washing off her blood from my hands in the restroom. They didn’t seem to get off no matter how hard I tried.

Maybe that’s because my hands were shaking.

Only if… I didn’t provoke her father….

Only if… I kept the curiosity by myself…

The fear goes to the person who has more to lose.

Only if… I sense the fear of losing her…

I looked up and saw myself soaked in her blood.

I felt disgusted to myself. The police reminded me daily to be careful around him but I failed to do that.

Jongin came into the restroom to pat on my shoulder, “Get a grip on yourself.”

No matter what he has been saying, self-hatred didn’t stop eating my soul.

“You know you’re the only human being on earth who can keep her alive,” he reminded, “Don’t do this to yourself. You need to live for her to live.”

 

Jongin brought me to the bench in front of the surgery room. That place was where I was supposed to be during Yoona’s surgery.

If I stayed in that place without meeting that guy, nothing would have happened.

“Son,” my mom sat beside me, “Don’t blame yourself too much.”

She rested her head on my shoulder to comfort me, “She’ll be fine.”

I know they’re just saying such words to give me relief.

How can I be in peace when I saw how she was hit with my own freaking eyes?

She could have died with excessive bleeding let alone other injuries she had.

I lowered my head close to my hands which were resting on my knees.

I could hear the doctor coming out of that room.

Everyone gathered around him but I stayed on the bench, not willing to face what’s about to come, “She broke 2 of her ribs including her left arm. Her ribs penetrated some of her internal organs, causing the internal bleeding. The worst part is her fracture in the skull.”

I heard every word clearly without standing close to them with the failure to control my tears and sobs.

I didn’t raise my head an inch. The ability to face reality has left me together with the hope for a miracle.

Jongin knelt in front of me, “Sehun, please, don’t blame yourself too hard.”

The more he comforted me, the more I got to think about how Irene could be smiling in front of me instead of going through this pain if I stayed by her side.

“That woman,” I sobbed, “she must be so lonely in there.”

I didn’t know if it was my loneliness or hers that I feared.

 

We complete each other but we don’t own each other for love is not a cage. However, I always had a sense of belonging whenever I’m with her.

And was it God who tried to take her away?

“She’s fallen into comatose,” said that doctors who claimed they had tried their best.

Is this the ray to fill my longing or is this a false hope?

 

Days, Weeks and Months have passed.

Everyone in the world now knows she’s the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bae.

Will she be able to accept the harsh truth when she wakes up?

I want her to wake up to the most peaceful environment; without anything to be worry and fear of.

“Please, let us meet her,” her biological parents begged. They often came over the hospital to meet their daughter for several times but I never let them in.

I’ve already made up my mind that I’ll keep that from her, “I’m her only guardian and I refuse your offer. You’ve caused enough mental torture in her life and I want that to be over.”

“We’re so sorry,” Mr. Bae begged, “We’ve learned that we’re wrong.”

I shook my head, “It took you 25 years to learn your mistake but I believe it’s already late. I’ve heard Se-Kyung has been receiving therapy from a psychiatrist. You should care for her instead.”

Remorse, finally, can be seen in their eyes, “You’re one of the peopl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter