CHAPTER 1: LUMINOUS

To Protect My Everything
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luminous (Adj.)           - Full of or shedding light; bright or shinning, especially in the dark

(IRENE)

One, two, three… Three is that number; the number that makes everyone satisfied. 3 seconds to fall in love, 3 minutes to cook ramen, 3 days trip, 3 years of relationship…

It is the number of satisfactory in general.

But then… I hope it was the same for my father. He never satisfies. He only had one keyword and that’s Se-Kyung, my cousin and his brother’s beloved daughter.

One time, two times, three times… and he never stops beating me. He basically controlled my life ever since I could remember.

No friends. No other family member. Just me and him…

He never let me had friends since he was scared I’d tell them about the abuse. He just didn’t know I wouldn’t dare.

 

My life was a pitch black one where I cannot even see my shadow. For that reason, I found myself standing on the edge of the rooftop of the school several times.

Teachers told me if we found ourselves in such acts; that means we have suicidal thoughts and we are expected to turn ourselves in, to the counselor.

It was too late then. I was already 19 and I thought I could never be happy again. I had to do it.

“Don’t say me you’re going to jump from there,” a voice of a male suddenly appeared and I was so shocked. I turned my neck slowly to see the owner of the voice.

I didn’t know him. Of course, I didn’t know him. I knew no one in the school.

He had multiple bruises and cuts on his face. Some of them are old and some are recent. But those bruises cannot overwhelm his handsomeness. The first two buttons of his shirt were undone which a loose pants.

“You outcast everyone in the school. And you don’t even talk to anyone,” he sniffed, “While I am bullied. And I think you are so cruel to end your good grades in such way.”

He knew me. He is bullied? With his body? He seemed quite tall and well-built though.

“You know me?” I asked, not moving an inch.

He chuckled, “Everyone knows you. At least, by your uncle.”

My uncle was quite influential as he was the director of Seul University Hospital which has multiple branches.

I nodded for a couple of times as I got to know how he knew me. He sighed very deeply that I could hear his breath. I looked at him as he ran through his hands in his hairs.

HE, INDEED, IS HANDSOME.

He gave me his hand, “Just some other day. Today is not a great day to die. We’ll plan it later.”

Technically, he paused me from killing myself. He said he’d plan it later. I didn’t hesitate to take his hands. Nevertheless, it’s never good to die in front of a stranger.

 

That evening, I was picked up by my dad’s assistant as usual. But it wasn’t usual that I couldn’t stop thinking about him. We parted our way after we left the rooftop.

But he was the only person who knew about my plan and who actually stopped me from it.

Starting from that day, we would meet up at the rooftop. At first, I was there to run away from everyday gossips and harsh world. But later, I went there just to see him.

His name was Sehun, Oh Sehun.

“Why are you bullied?” I asked him, treating his newly planted injury.

I couldn’t do anything to prevent it as we decide to keep our friendship secret.

“Because I am poor?” he raised his eyebrows as the medicine hit his nerves.

I slapped his arm lightly to let him know he was wrong, “why would people bully you just because you are poor?”

“Well, you don’t talk to them just because you are rich,” he said. He looked into the sky while I started packing the ointments in my bag.

It somehow hurt me. He thought I was arrogant for my father’s processions. I don’t want to be seen that way; at least, to someone who would cry for me at my funeral.

“You think so?” I made him repeat what he actually thought of me.

I looked at him for his response, “Nah” he shook his head, “How about you? Do you think I am bullied because I am poor?”

I was taken aback for this unexpected reply. I sighed, “You can be poor and I cannot stop you from being bullied.”

I could not even stop my father from hurting me. How can I stop 5 people from hurting him?

“But I will always bring the ointment bottles and medicines for you,” I smiled at him.

Our little conversations piled up. We sat on there at least once a week to have that talk about our future, plans, and wishes. But our friendship remained as secret upon my request

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter