CHAPTER 15: NYCTOPHILIA

To Protect My Everything
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nycotophilia (n.)   - An attraction to darkness or night; finding relaxation or comfort in the darkness.

(SEHUN)

“Mr. Bae exchanged Irene and Se-Kyung at that car accident.”

The words keep ringing in my head like an earworm. Irene hated all of her family and that includes her biological parents.

I cannot just shock her with this news. So, Suho, Jongin and I decided to keep it by ourselves.

She had enough twists in her life. I believe for her happiness, I have to keep that from her.

But my curiosity doesn’t let me sleep at night.

Why?

Why did he have to change the daughter? Just to abuse others’ daughter?

I couldn’t stop thinking about the reasons behind this.

 

I had been walking in a circle around my neighborhood without going in my home. It was a chilly night with no moonlight but it was replaced by the city light.

A hand slipped into mine and I looked at the owner of it, “Why are you not coming in? I felt so lonely.”

I held back the hand, “Some thoughts are wandering in my head.”

We continued to walk through the black night hand-in-hand.

“What do you think of your uncle and aunt,” I had to ask her, “Were they good to you?”

She lay her head on my shoulder but didn’t stop walking, “They were worse than nothing to me. They asked all the help to make their daughter get first place from me. Apart from that, they didn’t even call me by my name.”

To tell her that they’re her biological parents took much more courage and determination, “But they’re good to Se-Kyung.” I added her to continue about them.

“Nah…” she denied, “They’ve spoiled her so much that hurt my eyes. I’d rather grow under my father than their hands. I might be abused but I believe I’m still better than their daughter.”

My doubt became clear. I will keep her from this. She did nothing wrong to deserve this.

“Irene-ah,” I called her full name, “Promise me you won’t leave me again. No matter what happens.”

She easily nodded her head without many thoughts, “Don’t worry. I have no place to go anyhow.”

Her right to know will comes later than her mental health in my priority list.

 

 

The day of the trial has come closer and closer as the date to Yoona’s surgery.

On her surgery day, all of us went there to show our love and support to keep her strong. The rate of recovering is closer to 80 percent and I did not have any worry for her.

“The police told me to stay beside you 24-7,” I whispered to Irene, “And I’m going to stick with you 24/7/lifetime.”

The police suggested me to protect her since the trial is about to happen and they’re afraid her father might do something to her.

“Stop it,” she said. Her voice sounded like she’s annoyed but her cute reaction showed she liked it, “Your sister’s going in for surgery. Be serious.”

I always believed she’s coming out all fine and well as the doctors claimed.

Mom and dad were acting serious enough. Mom held her hands while kissing on the back of it, “We’ll pray for you, sweetie.”

And dad acted chic as always but all of us can see the worries sparked in his eyes, “You’ll be fine.”

Yoona then looked at me. I winked at her with a smile. I received a sniff from her and she turned directly to Jongin, mouthing “I Love You.”

He mouthed back, “Me, too” as if they’re meant for each other.

As she was taken into the room by the doctors and nurses, we waited in front.

I looked around and saw Irene’s ‘father’ starring at us from some distance.

 

 

“Why did you exchange them?” I was sitting in his office.

He looked shocked, “What are you trying to say?”

He obviously knew what I was saying and responding exactly the way I expected.

“You know what I mean,” I told him firmly.

It was solely to feed my curiosity, “I won’t tell anyone but if you keep on doing this, I’m telling this to her real parents.”

He suddenly got on his knees, “No…”

He was basically begging, “Please.”

“Then tell me why you did it”

His hands were shaking.

“That night, I drove so recklessly which killed my wife and I almost kille

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter