Family

When she was mine

Hana was flipping aimlessly through one of the few books that Jungeun had brought for her to cure her boredom. However, it just bore her even more as she shut the book and left it at the side of the table. She had been forced to stay back in the hospital for the last 2 days because the doctors wanted to keep an eye on her. Hana leaned against the headboard. Her mind floating back to memories of Heejin. Ones that she tried so hard to shut out. What's more surprising was the fact that Hyunjin had come to see Hana two nights before . 

2 days before (21:45) 

Hana was wide awake. She had trouble sleeping so she decided to take a walk. Jungeun and the others had gone back for the night. Jungeun left after Hana had forced her saying that she needed rest and she could always come back the next morning. Jungeun agreed reluctantly as she followed Haseul out. Hana slipped on a cardigan and slippers as she walked out of her hospital room. It was late so the park around the hospital was relatively quiet. She sat on the wooden bench with her knees up. The weather still cold as they were approaching mid May. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, taking in the fresh air after days of being stuck inside the hospital room. 

She felt something warm being wrapped around her shoulders. Her eyes opened as she saw Hyunjin standing in front of her. Hana was in no mood to fight. 

"What are you doing here?" Hana asked.

She honestly didn't blame Hyunjin for anything. After all, they used to be the best of friends. Hana patted the space beside her but Hyunjin seemed unsure. 

"Sit down, Hyunjin" Hana said. 

Hyunjin finally sat down. 

"I.... I just wanted to come check on you then leave quietly but your room was empty" Hyunjin said nervously. 

"I couldn't sleep so I came out to walk" Hana said.

"Hana" 

Hana hummed. 

"Heejin still loves you" Hyunjin said. 

Hana stilled at Heejin's name. 

"No, she doesn't. She said it herself, Hyun. That love changes. That everything we had faded to her. That she was faking it" Hana said sadly. 

Hyunjin hadn't heard that nickname in a while. 

"She doesn't mean that. I've seen her cry, drink and make a mess because she misses you. She is still in love with you, Hana. I'm sure she has her reasons for breaking up with you" Hyunjin reasoned. 

Hana chuckled bitterly. 

"Maybe. But I will never know" 

"Hana" Hyunjin called out. 

"No. Please, Hyun. Just.... Just let me forget her. It's better off this way. Let me hate her so I can forget her" Hana said it so painfully that Hyunjin stayed silent.

"Okay. I'll stop" 

Hyunjin then got up. 

"I'll walk you back to your room. It's cold. You're going to get yourself sick if you're out for too long" Hyunjin said. 

Hana nodded as she got up from the bench. The two of them walked back to the room side by side. As soon as Hana was back in her bed, she handed Hyunjin the jacket back. 

"Thank you, Hyun. I do miss talking to you" Hana said fondly. 

"I do too. I'm sorry for everything Hana" Hyunjin said guiltily. 

Hana smiled. 

"It's not your fault. You cannot control who you love and I understand. I'm sure you will do better than me in loving her. I know you, Hyun" Hana said. 

Hyunjin said nothing but Hana knew. 

"Rest well, Hana. I'm really sorry about you and Heejin" 

Hana shook her head. 

"Stop apologising, Kim Hyunjin. Go home. The dorms are closing soon" Hana said. 

Hyunjin nodded before waving and leaving the room. 

End 

Hana's thoughts was interrupted by the sound of the door sliding open. She expected to see Jungeun or the other 4 but it was an unknown woman in a fancy suit. 

"Who are you?" 

"Hello, Hana" 

Hana scrutinised the woman in front of her bed. 

"Who the hell are you? How do you know my name?" 

"My name is Park Jihyo. I'm your mother" the woman said calmly. 

Hana flared up as she said "MY MOTHER IS DEAD! My real mother died of cancer 4 years ago. Her name was Minatozaki Sana. Not Park Jihyo". 

The woman had a sad expression as she said "I'm sorry for leaving both you and your mother. There wasn't a day that I didn't regret my decision. I should have fought harder to be with you". 

"Everyone has their excuses but not all are trustworthy. Where were you when my mother needed you the most? Where were you when my mother worked 3 jobs to support me and her? WHERE WERE YOU WHEN SHE WAS ON HER DEATHBED? 

Hana was seething as she had begun to shake in pure anger. 

"I won't make any excuses, Hana. I was a terrible person. A terrible husband and a terrible 'father'. I couldn't save Sana and I regret that the most. I would never love another as much as I love your mother, Hana" 

Hana ripped off her blanket and jumped off her bed. She grabbed Jihyo's collar. 

"Don't you dare mention my mother's name! You don't deserve to! What makes you think I'll believe your words! Who knows you could be a conman!"

Jihyo pulled out a picture from her pocket and showed it to Hana. Hana took it shakily as she saw her mother and Jihyo with Hana in their arms. Hana chuckled bitterly as she could feel the tears flowing. She hugged the picture tightly to her chest. 

"Mama. Mama" Hana cried out. 

Hana felt arms wrap around her. 

"I'm sorry, my baby child. Papa is so sorry" 

Hana could hear Jihyo whisper softly. After a while, Hana's cries had reduced to sobs as she pulled herself out of the embrace. She sat back on her bed weakly. 

"So, what do you want? After all these years" 

"I want you to come back home with me. You will never be alone again. You will have a family. You will never have to suffer anymore, Hana" Jihyo convinced Hana. 

"Where is home?" Hana asked. 

"Park Manor" Jihyo said.

Hana look up at Jihyo confused. 

"Hana, you are my eldest child. If you come with me, you will the heiress to Park Group" Jihyo said. 

Hana was surprised. 

"Park Group? As in the multibillion dollar global group. You're telling me that I'm the heiress to Park Group?" Hana questioned. 

Jihyo nodded as she handed Hana her card. Hana read it and was shocked when she saw Park Jihyo, President of Park Group. Hana gulped nervously. 

"I know it's a lot to take in but I want you to know that you don't have to take over the company if you don't want to. I just want you home with me" Jihyo said as she placed her hand above Hana's. 

Hana was reluctant. But she had always dreamed of a perfect home. She nodded as Jihyo smiled widely and hugged Hana. Hana reciprocating the hug. 

"I promise that as long as I live, nobody will ever harm you, my child" Jihyo said. 

Hana nodded. 

Jihyo pulled away and said that she will handle the paperwork for Hana's discharge. She told Hana to change out of her hospital robes. Hana nodded. She sent a text to Jungeunstating she was being discharged. She told Jungeun not to worry and just stay home. The girl had replied back with an 'I'm on my way'. Hana didn't want anyone to know that she had found her other mom so she sent a text to Jungeun stating she was going out of town for a few days and told Jungeun not to find her. She then turned her phone off. 

Jihyo had returned then and asked "The paperwork is done. You ready?" 

Hana nodded and followed Jihyo out. Hana saw a Rolls Royce parked outside the entrance garnering attention. Jihyo and Hana hurriedly got into the car before it could draw anymore attention. The driver leaving the hospital compound immediately. 

"Where are we going?" Hana asked as she watched the driver driving to the outskirts of town. 

"You are going to your new home. To meet the other family members" Jihyo said. 

"Other family members?" Hana questioned curiously. 

Jihyo nodded. 

"Your grandfather, grandmother and your younger sister" Jihyo said. 

"I have a younger sister?" Hana asked. 

Jihyo nodded sadly as she said "Half sister. I was forced to marry another and had Chaewon. But we divorced when Chaewon was 3 years old. She left soon after and I raised Chaewon alone. I'm sure Chaewon will be glad to have an older sister". 

Hana knew that Jihyo had no choice by the look of guilt on her face but Hana didn't blame Jihyo. She was excited however to see her younger sister. She was always alone but somehow the thought of having a younger sister warmed her heart. Hana saw the pair of gates opening from her window as the car drove through a luxury forest path. Hana was surprised by the sheer size of the compound as she saw the mansion, no, palace. The car stopped in front of the entrance as a butler opened the door for both Jihyo and her. 

The army of servants stood on each side of the stairs and bowed, greeting them. Hana was not used to it all as she stood there awkwardly. Jihyo smiled and guided Hana up the stairs as the pair of mahogany doors opened. Hana and Jihyo walked side by side as they made their way down the hall into a massive living room. 

Related image

Hana walked in behind Jihyo. She saw two older man and woman, she knew they must have been her grandparents and a blond girl sitting gracefully on another couch. She assumed that must be Chaewon, her younger half sister. Once the three of them took note of the new presence in the room, their expressions shifted. Her grandmother stood up. 

"Is that her? Is that Hana, Jihyo?" 

Jihyo nodded as she looked at Hana, softly nodding. Hana calmed herself as she stepped out from behind Jihyo despite being a head taller. She saw her grandmother gasp as she made her way towards Hana, pulling her closely into a tight hug. 

"Welcome home, Hana. You're finally home, my dear grandchild" 

Hana smiled as she felt the warmth spread across her body. She had never experienced the feel of a complete family. She thought that they would hate her but they didn't. Hana pulled away as she stared at her grandfather. He had a small smile gracing his lips. 

"I wish to speak to Hana alone" 

The old man spoke. 

"Father!" Jihyo said with a dangerous tone. 

"I just want to talk. Come along, child" the old man said. 

Hana glanced at Jihyo before following behind the old man. She was lead into an office down the hallway as her grandfather gestured for her to sit. 

Related image

"You've grown since the last time I saw you. I'm sorry I couldn't watch you grow up. It was my fault. My pride and my ego prevented me from watching my blood and flesh grow up" 

Her grandfather sighed deeply before continuing. 

"I met your mother the day before she passed. Your mother knew her time was close. I apologised for all of my wrongdoings knowing that it made no difference but your mother accepted it. Such a kind soul your mother was. I realised my mistakes far too late". 

"So, why did you do it then? Why separate my parents?" Hana questioned softly.

"Because I thought it was the right thing then. And I regret it every day because I saw what it did to your mom. She was so broken but when I realised it, it was far too late but this time,  I won't make the same mistake" her grandfather said with a determined tone. 

Hana didn't understand what her grandfather meant. 

"Your mother told me that once you reached the age of 21, she wanted me to look for you and accept you as a Park. Of course, I agreed instantly because you are still my blood after all. You are to become the heiress of the Parks. But that is if you agree, your mother wanted me to ensure that you had all your options. If you reject it, I will accept it and allow you to do whatever you want to do. Should you choose to accept it, then know that you will have everything you want in the palm of your hands or at the snap of your fingers" her grandfather said. 

"What about Chaewon? Isn't she a Park as well? Shouldn't she be made heiress over me?" Hana questioned. 

"Chaewon will still be an heiress but you as the eldest will lead the group with Chaewon assisting beside you" 

Hana saw her grandfather hesitating before he spoke once again. 

"If I am to be honest with you, Chaewon hasn't always been the healthiest". 

Hana furrowed her brows. 

"What do you mean?" Hana asked. 

"Ever since Chaewon was a child, she had always gotten sick easily. The doctor ran some tests on her and told us that Chaewon had a weak immune system which limits all her activities. That is why we have always been more careful with her. If I must admit myself, Chaewon's body will not allow her to withstand the pressure of leading a large corporation" her grandfather said. 

"So, you want me to take over as heiress? But I'm not even a full-fledged Park" Hana said. 

"Yes, you are. You always have been. There is no denying that you have Park blood flowing inside of you" her grandfather countered. 

Hana gave it a thought. She remembered all the bullying that she had received before because she was an orphan. People constantly degrading and looking down on her. Before she met her friends, she was always alone. People pitied her but no more. She was done with those. A new fire burned within her heart to destroy those who looked down upon her. 

"If I become the heiress of the Parks, can you promise me something?" Hana asked. 

"Anything" 

"Revenge. For those who looked down on me. For those who made my mother suffer" Hana said with gritted teeth. 

"Of course, my dear grandchild. If it's revenge that you want, then you will have the support of the Parks and every resource that we have at your fingertips" her grandfather said. 

"Then, I accept" Hana said. 

"Good. Very good. I am very happy, Hana" the older Park said. 

"So, what do I do now?" Hana asked. 

"You are studying at BBC University now, aren't you?" 

"Yes, I am. I skipped a year because they told me that I didn't need it. So, I have about 4 months left to go" Hana said. 

Her grandfather smiled proudly. 

"That is the smartness of the Park. Take a month off to learn and do what you must. After that, an official statement and article will be released about you. Also, move into the Park Mansion. I'll have your things move to the mansion tomorrow" her grandfather said. 

"Won't that be awkward to those living here?" Hana asked. 

"Nonsense. You are a Park. Your grandmother and me are very happy to have you. Chaewon has been very excited to meet since she found that she had an older sister. If anyone says anything, they will have me to answer to" her grandfather said. 

Hana smiled and nodded. 

"I understand" 

"You may leave now. If not your mom will think I have murdered you" her grandfather joked.

Hana chuckled before leaving. 

Once Hana was out of the door, Park Chanyeol smiled sadly. He pulled out a picture from the drawer beside him. An old picture of Jihyo, Sana and baby Hana. He smiled. Trust in this grandfather of yours, Hana. I will make up for all the things I've done. I promise you, Sana, Hana will never know harm or pain as long as I'm alive. I will keep my promise and do whatever I can do to help Hana. I swear it upon the Park family name. 

Meanwhile, Hana saw her mom pacing around outside the door in the hallway. Her younger sister seemed as calm as ever. Her mom noticed Hana and immediately went over.

"What did your grandfather say? Did he say anything to harm? Did he threaten you?" Jihyo questioned. 

Hana smiled and placed her hand on Jihyo's shoulder. 

"He didn't do all those things you said. We simply talked. I have agreed to be the Parks heiress. He said he will make the necessary arrangements for me to move into the Park Mansion tomorrow. Unlike the monster you depict him to be, he was kind" Hana said. 

Her mom sighed in relief. 

"Good, we will spend some family time then" her mom said excitedly. 

Hana nodded as she said "Grandfather told me to take a month off. Do you mind helping me make the arrangements with the school?" 

Her mom was surprised as she nodded excitedly. 

"Of course. I will have my secretary do it right away" her mother said. 

Hana then walked towards Chaewon. The blond girl was fiddling with her fingers nervously. Hana saw it and took the blonde girl's smaller hands into her own. 

"I've never had a younger sister before and we've never met but if you'll let me, I'll try to be a good older sister" Hana said with a smile. 

The blonde looked up and nodded happily. 

Jihyo stared at her two daughters with content.