Surprise?

When she was mine

It was a cloudy Thursday afternoon. Looking down at the calendar on her desk, Hana realises that it's been exactly 3 weeks since she took over as Chief Director. Laying her head back against her office chair, she allows herself to be lost in her own chain of thoughts. Did Jungeun resent her for the things she's done? Hana promised she would explain everything soon but soon had turn into 3 weeks. Sure, work has been keeping her busy. She knows she has a lot to learn about operations but did that really give her an excuse to continue delaying talking to Jungeun? 

Ever since the day she found out that Heejin's mother was behind her mother's untimely death, she was constantly fueled by rage and anger, blinding her as she sought out various different options to deal with her. She could send a hitman to take her out but death was far too easy on her. She wanted Madam Jeon to suffer as much pain as her mother did. Clenching her fists tightly, Hana tries her best not to allow the thought of revenge to take over her. God knows the last time she did, she nearly sent members of her TF team into the pysch ward. 

A knock at her door woke Hana from her thoughts as she calls for them to enter. She sees her secretary opening the door, closing it behind him as he walks towards her and briefly bows. 

"What is it, Nam Biso?" Hana asks. 

Joohyuk holds his tab in one hand, his eyes concentrating onto the tab as he speaks, "The annual Park foundation fundraising event will be happening in a couple days. It is one of the most important events of the year and many dignified guests will be attending. Your grandmother, Madam Park, as the Chairwoman of the foundation has always been the organiser for the event. As per regulation, you are required to bring a date to the event and also because Madam Park has sent a message stating that it is compulsory for you to do so." 

Hana sighs deeply, rubbing her temples using her thumb and index finger, feeling an impending headache coming.

Joohyuk opens his mouth to continue when Hana raises a hand, stopping him from proceeding, "Okay, that's enough. I got it." 

Joohyuk closes his tab, "Are you feeling alright, Jeonmunim?" (It's Chief Director. Just a p.s.) 

Hana dismisses Joohyuk's concerns, nodding, "I'm fine. Just a little tired. Don't worry too much." 

"Are you sure it isn't because of Madam Jeon?" Joohyuk questiones. 

Hana shoots Joohyuk a pointed glare as if to tell him not to mention that name in her presence. 

"Forgive my rudeness, Jeonmunim but I believe that I need to let you know something about her." 

Hana arches a brow, "What?" 

"I know you probably don't want me involve in this however as your secretary, it is my job to assist you in any way possible. I looked into Jeon Industries recently and found out that they have been looking to discuss a contract with Kim Corporation to obtain funds for Madam Jeon's project. I hear she has been planning it for quite a number of years" Joohyuk answers.

Hana frowns, "Kim Corporation means Jungeun's family." 

Joohyuk nods, "I believe the key to getting your revenge would be Miss Kim Jungeun. If Jeon Industries fail to obtain this contract, they won't be able to fund their next project hence the end of Madam Jeon's years of planning." 

Hana stays silent, only waving as Joohyuk bows, heading out of Hana's office. Hana swivels her chair, standing up as she walks towards the window, looking out to the gloomy skies. Is this your sign, God? Punishment? Please don't make me hurt Jungeun. In this world, she's the only one I cannot hurt. Just then, the skies flashes with lighting as Hana hears loud rumbling. 

Hana whispers a silent apology, praying that Jungeun wouldn't hate her. Hana had already hurt Jungeun too many times and it was killing Hana with each passing day. She picks up the courage and walks over to her desk, grabbing her phone and leaning her against the desk as she dials Jungeun's number. A couple rings later and the call was through. She hears a soft hello over the other end. 

Jungeun: Hello? 

Hana: Hey, Jungie. 

There was silence over the other line. 

Hana: Before you hang up on me, I want to apologize for being a complete . 

Hana: I'm sorry for ghosting you, Jungie. 

Hana: I know I told you to trust me then I left you hanging for 3 weeks. That was a terrible thing. 

Jungeun: You're right. It was. 

Jungeun: You're not just an . You're a ing jerk! 

Hana winced at Jungeun's sudden volume attack. She deserved that though. 

Jungeun: You broke your promise.

Jungeun: Remember when you swore to me years ago that you would never break your promise. 

Jungeun: Did you forget that? 

With each sentence, Hana could feel the guilt creeping up to her heart. Jungeun was right. She was the worse kind of person. How could she forget the most important promise she made? 

Hana: I'm sorry...

Jungeun: I don't want your apology, Hana. 

Jungeun: I want an explanation. Why? How? When? 

Hana: I will give you an explanation.

Hana: This time, I won't break my promise. 

Hana: Can you meet me at my office at 3 pm today?

Jungeun: No lies. Full explanation. 

Hana: That's right. No lies. Full explanation. Everything you want to know.

Hana hears a small sigh over the line, growing more anxious because she was worried Jungeun wouldn't want to listen to her. 

Jungeun: Okay. I'll be there. 

Hana: Okay, I'll have my secretary come get you from the lobby.

The call then ends as Hana finally releases the breath she didn't know she was holding from how anxious she was throughout the whole conversation. At least, Jungeun was open to the idea of even meeting her. She could only pray their 'talk' doesn't end with Jungeun strangling her or swearing never to see her ever again because that would crush Hana. Hana pushes off the desk, circling the table and returning to her chair. She dials her secretary using the landline, informing him of Jungeun's visit at 3pm as she tells him to be ready to pick her from the lobby and bring her into Hana's office. 

Hana hears her secretary confirm her orders before asking if she needed anything else. Hana replies with a no and thanking him before putting the phone down. Her eyes flickering over to the clock on the wall. 2.15 p.m. 45 minutes left. Hana takes a deep breath, calming her nerves as she opens up her files -flipping through each page before picking up the pen on the table, putting her signature in the required space. 

Not even 5 minutes later, Hana closes the black file in front of her, groaning because she found herself unable to focus on her work. She taps her feet rapidly, a habit she acquired over the past few years as she watches the clock with deep intensity. She prys her eyes away from the clock and decides to distract herself with cute puppy videos she finds online, scrolling through them happily as she allows a giggle to escape her lips. 

In her cute puppy video trance, Hana didn't notice the time passing by swiftly and soon, it was already 3 pm. A knock on the door shocks Hana as she drops her phone onto the table with a loud thud. Cursing, she picks her phone up, checking for any cracks which luckily, there wasn't any visible to her eye. Exiting the app, she places her phone onto the table - face down just in case. 

"Come in!" 

The door opens revealing Joohyuk and behind him was her best friend, Jungeun. The girl appearing tiny following behind a massive Joohyuk who stood tall at 1.88 m. Joohyuk bows in Hana's presence. 

"Thank you, Nam Biso. Can you bring us some hot chocolate?" Hana requestes. 

Joohyuk bows before heading out of Hana's office. Hana clears as she stands up from her chair, walking down the steps as she gestures for Jungeun to take a seat. Jungeun does so, taking a seat on the white sofa while Hana sat in the armchair beside the sofa. Joohyuk returns with their hot chocolate, placing the cups on the glass table before retreating out the door. Hana glances up to see Jungeun looking around her office, her eyes stopping on Hana. 

Hana looks away shyly. 

"It's been a while, Hana" Jungeun starts, sensing that if she didn't, Hana would just clam up and they wouldn't be able to talk at all. 

Hana nods, her head tilts down and her eyes focuses upon the floor as she feels the guilt slowly creeping up her spine. 

"I'm sorry," Hana breathes out, "I'm sorry for not telling you when I left. For making you worry and for cutting all communications. I didn't mean to do any of that." 

"You should be. I was so worried about you when you left. I ran to the administrations office after I saw your room being cleared out but all the lady said was you moved out. I went to your old apartment thinking you were there but your old neighbour said she hasn't seen you in years. I was lost thinking you were going to do something stupid" Jungeun's eyes flickers towards Hana, "If you were going to leave, you could at least tell me and that talk we had the night before you left, what was that even supposed to mean?" 

"That talk was my way of telling you goodbye, Jungie. Also, I would have told you if I could but at that time, I had no choice but to keep everything a secret - even from you." 

"How was I supposed to know that was you saying goodbye, !"

"You weren't. I was being cryptic so I could see how much you actually care me but now, I do," Hana chuckles lightly, "What made you think I would go back to my old apartment?" 

Jungeun smiles softly, "I wasn't thinking straight. I just thought that maybe if you weren't at all your usual places, you would head back there."

"I haven't gone back since that day. That apartment still pains me till this day because it reminds me of my mom. I kept it because it was my home or at least, it used to be. Maybe, one of these days, I could go back. When that day comes, will you come with me?" 

Jungeun smiles, nodding as Hana breaks out into a big smile - one that could rival the sun. Yeah, they were going to be fine. Now that their past issues was resolved, Hana knows she still needs to ask Jungeun for her help though she wasn't sure how Lip was going to take this. She decides to take the leap of faith and hopes her best friend would be willing to go along with her crazy idea. 

"Jungie" Hana calls out softly. 

Jungeun who had been sipping on her hot chocolate, looks up from her cup with arched brows. 

"I might need your help and before you say anything, I wanted you to know that if I had a choice, I wouldn't be asking this of you," Hana says everything in one breath.

Jungeun lowers the cup back onto the glass table, crossing her legs elegantly. 

"Okay. It depends. What kind of help?" Jungeun asked. 

"Would you be willing to get engaged to me?" Hana asks. 

Jungeun chokes on nothing in particular. Did she hear that wrongly? Was this a prank? Lip scans Hana's face for hints that she was just messing around but there was none. Hana was looking at her seriously. She was serious. 

"I--" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 weeks later 

 

The Lobby of the Castle Hotel, | Luxe hotels, Luxe huizen, Hotels

The fateful night of the fundraising event finally arrives. Rich classical music floats through the ballroom of the Park Empire Hotel as esteemed guests from every walk of life mingles around the massive space. Waiters busying themselves as they flew across the floor ensuring every guest were provided with a glass of the finest champagne. Everyone appears to be having quite an enjoyable time as the conversation flows as smoothly as the music. 

Hana clad in a full black suit and black Doc Martens - her hair tied into a high ponytail was pre-occupied by the masses of guests trying to grab at the opportunity to speak to her. Even her younger sister, Chaewon who was wearing a beautiful yellow floral pattern dress was interacting with a few guest. 

Vancouver all Black Slim Fit Wool Suit – Aysoti    Acquisti Online 2 Sconti su Qualsiasi Caso doc martens or dr ... 

Excusing herself from the conversation, she walks to the bar and orders a club soda. She sighs in relief as she could finally breath right for the first time since the start of the event. The bartender places a coaster onto the wooden bar top and deposits her drink on top of it. She mutters a small thanks, picking the chilled glass up and taking a small sip, quenching her thirst and soothing from all the talking that she had been doing. 

As she turns on her heels towards the open space, she is greeted by an unpleasant sight. Hana abandons her drink at the bar and walks towards her mortal enemy, Madam Jeon. Madam Jeon greets Hana with a sickeningly fake smile as she holds out her hand. 

"Congratulations on your appointment as Chief Director of Park Group, Hana!" Madam Jeon says with a cheery tone. 

Hana forces a smile, trying her hardest to conceal the disgust and snarls that threatens to appear in the presence of the older fox, replying with a short and precise, "Thank you." 

"If I had known you were an heiress - one with the Park name no less, perhaps I wouldn't have tried to pry you and my daughter away. You must understand my heart as a mother who only wishes for her daughter to succeed in life but now that you are one of the elites, the two of you can return to the way you were before" Madam Jeon says without a single hint of shame in her words. 

Hana grits her teeth, trying her hardest not to lash out at the older woman smiling conceitedly like she had just won the battle. However, Hana couldn't allow the woman to gloat as one side of her lips tugged up into a half-smirk. 

"I'm afraid I must disappoint you, Madam Jeon" Hana says as the older woman's smile gradually disappeared, "Your daughter and I - we are over and I won't be returning to her. Why would I when I have my own fiancee? Don't you think I'm being unfair to her?" 

Once Hana drops the bomb, Madam Jeon's jaw also went down along with it. Hana's phone buzzed inside her pocket as she decides it was time to leave. 

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have other guests to entertain. Enjoy the rest of your night, Madam Jeon." 

Giving one last victory smile, Hana leaves the older woman and walks across the room, stopping to look over her shoulder as she sees the older woman rooted in her spot making her chuckle. It was so satisfying to watch the older bat's shocked expression. Hana looks away, reaching into her pocket and pulling out her phone to check her notifications. She opens it with a smile.

*I'm waiting for you.* 

Hana replies to the text before pocketing her phone as she disappears from the ballroom. 

*I'm coming.* 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Gulp. Heejin lowers the champagne flute onto the table and calls the waiter to retrieve her 6 or maybe, 7th glass of the night - honestly, she doesn't remember how many she's had. As she is about to finish yet another flute of champagne, someone pulls the drink away from her hand. She frowns and is about to rebuke whoever it was as she looks up to see her mother standing in front of her. 

Heejin scoffs. Of course, it was her mother. 

"Look at your pathetic state! Must I do all the heavylifting for you?" her mother chides Heejin. 

Heejin is too tired to listen to her mother's nagging as she says, "Then, go away, mother. Don't look at this pathetic excuse then." 

"I just spoke to Hana." 

At the mention of Hana, Heejin perks up and looks towards her mother. 

"I was talking about how you two could get back together but she declined it" Madam Jeon clicks her tongue, missing Heejin's dejected face as she continues, "She even went to the extent of telling me she has a fiancee but I don't buy it."

"Hana told you she has a fiancee?" Heejin questions. 

"Yeah, do you happen to know if she does?" her mother counteres with a question of her own. 

Heejin shakes her head, "No. I mean we haven't spoken in months but I didn't hear anything about that." 

Just then, their conversation halts as the lights dims with a single spotlight pointing towards the space in between the dual-staircases. Madam Park, Hana's grandmother stands in her full elegant glory as the crowd errupts into an applause. 

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen - esteemed guests! Thank you very much for coming to the Park Foundation's annual fundraiser! I hope everyone is enjoying themselves!" 

The crowd applauds loudly once again showing that they were, Madam Park smiling brightly. 

"This year's fundraiser is a bit more special because my eldest grandchild, Hana is present. The Park Household has been very fortunate this year to be able to introduce her to everyone though it began as a shock. As such I would like to hand the microphone over to her." 

The spotlight then moves up to the top of the stairs as Hana appears with a bright smile. 

"Thank you very much to my dear grandmother for allowing me the opportunity to share some of my personal life with everyone. In addition to my appearance tonight, I have brought my fiancee along with me," Hana announces as collective gasps could be heard echoing throughout the room, whispers of who, when and how spread around the guests. 

"Please give my fiancee, Kim Jungeun a warm welcome" Hana says through the mic as she turns to the back, holding out her hand to the previous blonde, now brunette girl who steps out from the shadows in a beautiful black dress and killer heels. 

Hana guides Jungeun by the hand so they were standing side by side as the spotlight shines upon them. Hana sees Jungeun's shoulders stiffen and knows Jungeun doesn't enjoy the attention they were getting. Hana squeezes Jungeun's hand as Jungeun turns her head and looks at Hana with a slight crease between her brows. Hana smiles and shoots Jungeun a subtle wink as Jungeun finally seems to relax and lets a smile slip past her own lips. They look towards each other with pure affection unaware of the feelings that was slowly beginning to bloom within their hearts. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flashback 

"I don't understand" Jungeun says, still in a daze about the whole situation.

"I know you're probably really confused but I have my own reasons for doing this, Jungie. You can reject me and I'll be totally fine with it but I cannot provide you with an explanation right now. I promise when the time comes, I'll tell you everything and it will all be clear then. Can you place your trust in me one more time?" Hana asks. 

Jungeun doesn't know what to make out of this but the genuine look in Hana's eyes shows her that it was Hana and she always has her own reasons. Jungeun decides to put her trust in Hana and maybe, just maybe, this would prove to be a good chance for her. 

"Okay, let's get engaged then" Jungeun says earnestly. 

Hana is taken aback by Jungeun's willingness, "Are you sure? You're not just saying this, right?"

"Would I lie to you?" Jungeun questions with a quirk brow. 

Hana shakes her head as she reaches out to hold Jungeun's hand in her own, "Thank you for agreeing to this, Jungie. For believing in me." 

Jungeun's cheeks turns a light pink as she clears , "Just promise me that you'll tell me everything when the time comes." 

Hana nods excitedly like a puppy with its owner. Jungeun breaks out into a small laugh as Hana follows suit - the room fills up with warmth and it wasn't just the sunlight streaming in from Hana's windows. 

End 

~~~~~~~~~~

 


I'm back with another update. Sorry, it takes a long time to write one chapter. With the whole Covid-19 and juggling online classes and reality, it deprives me of the energy to even write but I try my best. I didn't proof read this chapter so I apologize in advance for any mistakes. I hope you will continue to be patient with me. Thank you to all the readers and be sure to drop comments down below - H.