Awake

When she was mine

3 days had gone by in a flash. Jungeun had stayed at the hospital with her friends, Haseul, Vivi, Sooyoung and Jiwoo coming in to help. They had been surprised with the rumours of Jungeun carrying Hana out of the dorms unconscious. There were various different sides of the rumours. Each with their own elements of bull added in by the students. When Haseul received a call from Jungeun 2 days before informing her of Hana's situation, she wasted no time in telling Vivi, Sooyoung and Jiwoo. The four of them jumped into Haseul's BMW X7 as they headed to the hospital.  

One look at Hana's state sent Jiwoo and Haseul into tears. Sooyoung and Vivi consoled their partners as they kept their emotions to themselves. But Jungeuncould see the tears threatening to fall from both their eyes. They took turns watching over Hana. Sooyoung and Jiwoo opting to stay at night while Jungeun went home to shower and grab a few things. Haseul and Vivi taking over the night after. 

The morning of the 3rd day that Hana was unconscious arrived. Jungeun had just returned from filling the flask with water when she saw Hana's fingers twitching. Hana's eyes gradually opened as she took in her environment. She saw an extremely concerned Jungeun staring at her.

"Where am I?" Hana asked, her voice hoarse. 

"The hospital. Hana, do you remember me?" Jungeun asked. 

"Jungeun" Hana said. 

Jungeun cried in relief as she hugged Hana tightly. 

"I was so worried. You weren't waking up. I thought I lost you" Jungeun cried out. 

Hana patted Jungeun's head softly. 

"Stop making a scene, Jungeun" Hana said.

Jungeun broke the hug as she said "I'll get the doctor". 

Hana grabbed hold of Jungeun's arm. 

"Don't. I don't want to see anyone right now" Hana said coldly. 

"Hana, the doctor needs to run some tests so they know you're alright" Jungeun reasoned with Hana. 

"Don't bother. You shouldn't have saved me" Hana said harshly.

Jungeun couldn't hold back her anger when she heard Hana say that. 

"So, I should have just watched you die! In front of my eyes! Leaving me helpless that I couldn't even rescue my own best friend! Did you bother to think about how I would feel! How our friends would feel if they found out about your death! Or was it always about Jeon Heejin? She dumped you, Hana. She's not worth losing your life over!" Jungeun expressed angrily. 

Hana glared at Jungeun. 

"She was my everything, Jungeun. She was the reason I woke up every day. My purpose in life. When my mother died, she became my ray of sunlight. The one who lead me out of the darkness. Without her, I have no one else!" Hana spat bitterly. 

"YOU HAVE ME! YOU HAVE HASEUL. VIVI. SOOYOUNG AND JIWOO. You are never alone in this world, Hana. You can learn to lean on us. On me. Taking your own life isn't the way, Hana" Jungeun said. 

Hana stared at Jungeun blankly. 

"I'm sorry" Hana said softly. 

Jungeun sighed deeply. She wrapped her arms around Hana as Hana reciprocated the hug. 

"I'm always by your side, Hana. Before and now. You're not alone" Jungeun said. 

Jungeun felt her shirt dampen as she heard sobs coming from Hana. She rubbed Hana's back in circular motions as she comforted the sobbing girl. Hana finally stopped after a while. Jungeun handed her a tissue to wipe the remainder of her tears. Hana agreed to allow the doctor in. The nurses told Jungeun to stay outside as they checked on Hana. Eventually, the doctor and the nurses came out. 

"How is she doing now?" Jungeun asked. 

"Well, seeing as she's awake and responsive, I would say she's recovering just right. We will still have to keep her here for a few days to ensure there is no more complications then she is free to be discharged" the doctor said.

Jungeun thanked the doctor who smiled and nodded. He then walked away as Jungeunwalked back into the room. 

"Good news. Doctor says you're free to be discharged in a couple of days. He said you will have to stay a few more days just for them to be sure" Jungeun said enthusiastically. 

Hana nodded but said nothing. 

"I'll call Haseul to tell her that you're awake. She'll be thrilled" Jungeun said. 

Hana nodded as Jungeun left the room to call Haseul. The girl perked up over the phone stating that she and the other three were on their way now. Jungeun then ended the call before calling her driver to pick up some food for Hana. The girls arrived first as they crowded around Hana. Jiwoo bursting into tears as she clinged to Hana who grimaced. Sooyoung pulled Jiwoo off of Hana as Vivi and Haseul offered motherly smiles. 

"We're glad that you're fine, Hana. Just try not to scare us like that again. Especially Jungeun. The girl literally cared for you for 3 whole days" Haseul said. 

Hana nodded guiltily. 

Jungeun came back with boxes of food packages in her hands. Sooyoung helped to relieve Jungeun of the weight as she placed them onto the table. 

"I had my driver get some food because I knew you would be hungry" Jungeun said.

Jungeun placed a container of porridge in front of her as she handed Hana a spoon. Hana took it gratefully as she scooped a small spoonful into . She wasn't that hungry but Jungeun would stare at her urging her to eat so she was left with no choice. Jungeun sat beside Hana to ensure that Hana would eat. The other four opted on sitting at the couch as they devoured the food in front of them.

Just then, the door slid open as everyone's eyes were centred onto the door. Standing at the doorway was someone Hana or the others had not expect to see. Jeon Heejin and Kim Hyunjin. Jungeun stood up in anger. 

"LEAVE!" Jungeun growled in anger. 

"I just found out that Hana was in the hospital. I just wanted to check up on her and make sure she's okay" Heejin said with a shaky voice. 

"You've done enough damage. LEAVE NOW! While I'm still holding back" Jungeun said angrily. 

"Jungeun is right. It will be best for the both of you to leave now" Haseul said coldly. 

"Hana doesn't need your presence here. It will bring more harm than help. Leave, Jeon Heejin. Kim Hyunjin" Sooyoung said darkly. 

Jungeun felt someone holding onto the back of her shirt. She turned around to see Hana looking at her. Jungeun sighed as she stepped aside. Heejin now had a full view of Hana. Hana had lost weight since the last time Heejin saw her. The girl's face was gaunt. 

"Hana. I....." Heejin was cut off by Hana. 

"Leave. We have no more relations to each other anymore so you don't have to worry about me. Even if I get sent to the hospital or die, that is no longer your business. The day you chose someone else over me was the day you cut off our ties" Hana said coldly, her face blank and her eyes dark. 

Hana's sharp words cut through Heejin like a knife. Heejin knew she wasn't welcome. 

"I understand. I will leave now. Get well soon" Heejin said sadly. 

She turned to leave with Hyunjin following close behind. 

It hurts me to see you hate me, Hana. Maybe I deserve it for what I've done. I'm sorry, Hana. I never meant to hurt you but it was the only way to keep you safe. I hope one day you will understand. 

Heejin wiped the tears that flowed from her eyes. Hyunjin's face stoic as she stared at Heejin. She wanted so bad to comfort Heejin but she had promised never to cross the line so she stood by and watched Heejin instead.